129a. Someone's in the Kitchen With Sandy

Bl4zeTMG

Four Twenny Blaze
It's my 5th least favorite episode from season 7. I made a mistake thinking The Abrasive Side was worse than this. I changed my opinions on that episode but I'm still skeptical on that episode.

This episode is just trash. The only thing that's good here is Planktons Texan accent. It's pretty funny bit that's the only redeeming quality here. It's a Sandy Torture episode and it's very annoying to watch. 0.5/10

It gets a .5 because of the accent. ;)

The Amazing Wumbologist

Imitation Krab
The only noteworthy things are the townspeople being complete jerks and this being the result if someone sucked out all of the humor, charm, and anything good from Imitation Krabs. It's really harsh and dull.
0/10

MissTree

Moby Dollar
I don't even know what to say, this episode REALLY sucked, all it is. is Sandy being humiliated for having a bikini even though she wears more clothes than most of them and then getting punished for busting Plankton... I don't see how this was a good idea

The other jokes sucked too

Summary: A nude Sandy searches for her stolen pelt, which was taken by a scheming Plankton.

They had a good plot! Where did it go wrong? :(

Supmandude

Squog
Supmandude said:
Why? :( You wouldn't want Sandy to be naked? I'm talking nothing visible ignore the fact that she's a girl (because she's a freaking squirrel) real-type squirrelly, nothing there at all squirrel. Male characters like SpongeBob being naked and just having nothing there is fine, but there seems to be a double standard with girls even though they're both animals. Although to be fair, she is seen with a bra in the show normally so maybe that would make it a little awkward even if there is nothing.

By the way, this was what Robert Ryan Cory intended her to look like, but it was turned down for being too gross/off-model/funny:

Skinless Sandy by robertryancory, on Flickr

The episode would have gotten at least a 9/10 if she looked like that because it would have added visual humor. :P
I stlill agree with myself over a year later. This would have made the episode AWESOME!!! :D

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
Why? :( You wouldn't want Sandy to be naked? I'm talking nothing visible ignore the fact that she's a girl (because she's a freaking squirrel) real-type squirrelly, nothing there at all squirrel. Male characters like SpongeBob being naked and just having nothing there is fine, but there seems to be a double standard with girls even though they're both animals. Although to be fair, she is seen with a bra in the show normally so maybe that would make it a little awkward even if there is nothing.
By the way, this was what Robert Ryan Cory intended her to look like, but it was turned down for being too gross/off-model/funny:Skinless Sandy by robertryancory, on Flickr
The episode would have gotten at least a 9/10 if she looked like that because it would have added visual humor. :P

Dear Neptune! That's disturbing , This episode has gotta be holdover from season 6.
Imagine what Mr.Enter would think if that were originally in the episode. Hec if it were in the episode I'd be surprised it would still be rated TV-Y7, because this is TV-14 levels of disturbing. I'd never watch SpongeBob again if it had this in the episode, considering I was only 7 when this episode came out.

Hey everyone, I just found some really cool storyboards from this episode. Has anyone seen these? There are a few other episodes on this site too. :)

Apparently the hideous design of Sandy was in the storyboards too, it was probably some Nick executive that didn't approve it. :P

961d5c93ce3f7fc751b13cef63fe22dc.jpg

See the whole episode here: http://www.behance.net/gallery/11755935/Spongebob-Someones-in-the-Kitchen-with-Sandy

Those deleted scenes are funny and disturbing at the same time

SquiddlyPie

random gal
I don't like this episode, it ruins Plankton's character and it's unfair for Sandy, no, just, no!!! 4/10

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
This episode=No. The plot is a horrible uninspired rehash of "Imitation Krabs" that makes zero sense. This thing has so many plot holes I don't even know where to begin. 90% of the jokes are irritating and the fish people making fun of Sandy and eventually arresting her is soooo annoying. Also did I mention this episode doesn't make sense? Because I'd like to reiterate that it makes zero sense. Did any one proof-read this episode? Sandy doesn't take her suit even though Plankton didn't steal that, the fish people make fun of Sandy due to her "nudity" even though a lot of them are just as indecently exposed as her and the same cops that laughed at her earlier randomly decide to arrest at the end EVEN THOUGH SHE ISN'T EVEN ANY MORE EXPOSED THAN THE REST OF THE FISH AND PLANKTON IS THE TRUE VI... ugh I need to stop thinking about this, this episode sucks big time though. This has to be one of the most poorly written episodes.

2/10

Supmandude said:

By the way, this was what Robert Ryan Cory intended her to look like, but it was turned down for being too gross/off-model/funny:

hqdefault.jpg

MY EYYYYYEEESSS!

SpongeBronyPH

Giant Clam
Episode: Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy (S7-E129-A)

I hate this episode. I hate it when the Bikini Bottomites, including the police, laugh and get mad at Sandy for being "naked" outside the treedome. I also hate when the Police arrest Sandy for public nudity. What are the policemen thinking? They're scalawags in this episode. It's even worse than scalawag Philippine cops today. If I where the writer and storyboard artist of this ::dolphin noise::ty episode, I rather put furless Sandy in her spacesuit and do the karate chop to tiny evil Plankton. The ending will be better if Mr. Krabs laugh at Plankton's fail and the police arrest him instead of Sandy.

Final Score = 0/10 :patboo:

Supmandude said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWK1X25kkvM

The first of three Imitation Krabs rip-offs this season, and this is definitely the worst of the bunch. I don't like this episode at all. A very weak and weird plot, has some gross-out visuals, and the townspeople are jerks. I did like Plankton's Texan accent, though. That was funny. I'm changing my grade from an "E" to an "F" because this episode is hard to watch in the same way Grandma's Kisses is hard to watch, which, coincidentally, also got an "F".

Ranking so far:
1. Growth Spout (B)
2. I Heart Dancing (B)
3. Tentacle-Vision (D)
4. Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy (F)
5. Stuck in the Wringer (F)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Very, very annoying and bad episode. This episode just would have failed from the very start because of the premise, because if we think about it, this is an episode where some guy stole a woman's clothes after seeing her in the shower and now the woman has to walk around the town naked to get her clothes back, causing her to get alienated by the town. Yeah, not a very good episode, even with the SpongeBob filter over it. There were some good moments in the episode, Plankton was definitely a highlight. But Plankton couldn't save this episode, and too much of the episode was devoted to seeing Sandy being resented by the townspeople, who I hated in this episode. 4.5/10

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
So I guess season 7 has decided to completely give up on trying to return to its strong beginning, huh? “Someone’s in the Kitchen With Sandy” is another episode where I question the entirety of the writing process here. And it’s another episode that infuriates me. What a wonderful combination! Someone must be laughing at me, because what’s with episodes focusing on characters that need to be focused on and then disappointing me? I already talked about how they’ve been doing it with Gary, and now they give me a Sandy-focused episode and it’s this? My lord.

The episode actually generates interest as we begin with Plankton. Because that tells me that we might be seated for an interaction we’ve never seen—Sandy and Plankton! Of course, the episode will go on to squander this potential (at least “Perfect Chemistry” does it properly, but that won’t be til the end of the month ;-;). Plankton’s plan here in this beginning scene makes literally no sense, but I move on. How no one sees Plankton is also extremely questionable, but if I was going to nitpick the episode this hard, I’d be here all day. And after going ham on “Stuck in the Wringer”, I just want to get this annoying episode over with as soon as possible, you know?

Actually, I have to say one more thing about the writing, but this is less of a nitpick since it ends up being the episode’s plot…the entire idea that Sandy wears her fur like a suit makes so little sense that I can’t even begin. Firstly, it makes no sense with the existence of an episode like “Survival of the Idiots”, but that’s not a very valid critique since this show has no consistency. It’s also just clearly done to subvert expectations and make a joke out of. I feel like this episode was definitely created with the thought of Sandy wearing a fur suit first, and then the rest of it afterwards to justify that idea. And lastly, it also just feels like an excuse to make the fact that Plankton is present in Sandy’s shower without her knowing feel less unimaginably creepy than it actually is. So now this episode already just weirds me out in like 3 different ways.

This episode makes me realize just how much I’ve missed Sandy. Seeing her for more than just a couple minutes is such a treat. I just wish it was under better circumstances. When she breaks down the door and swears to get whoever stole her fur, I’m with it. But then she starts going through Bikini Bottom, and my ire for the townspeople begins to flare again. I really need to know where the joke is here. Where is the joke in Sandy having her literal fur stolen, and when she works to try and get it back no one helps her and everyone laughs at her? Not just laughs at her, but also shames her and calls her a rat, a chipmunk, and a hairless goat. This could honestly be argued as a poorly-executed xenophobia allegory.

Honestly, I don’t think this episode is trying to be a xenophobia allegory, but I feel like this might be a nicer interpretation than saying that writers completely neglected to form one critical thought about the implications behind this story, and so had the townspeople call attention to the fact that Sandy is different than them and ridicule her for it without considering how this is literally a textbook xenophobia allegory. And even without considering all of that stuff, this entire segment of the episode is extremely unpleasant because Sandy has done not a single thing wrong. Just like last episode spent so much time tormenting SpongeBob, this episode does the same to Sandy. It’s ridiculous, and I fail to see how this is even faintly amusing. Additionally, given that Sandy is still wearing a bikini top and bottom, the fact that she’s supposedly nude makes no sense. So now this is frustrating on all levels.

As for Plankton’s part of the story, when he walks around wearing Sandy’s fur, it starts out entertaining enough. Mr. Lawrence’s southern accent is hilarious (and clearly improved upon in The Cosmic Shake). But once he gets to the Krusty Krab, things drag a little bit. The first interactions with SpongeBob are actually entertaining, but it doesn’t last. Does “ooh, try again” ring a bell? This part doesn’t actually annoy me really, because it feels satisfying to see Plankton get so upset, given that my rage at this episode is being partly directed towards him. But this part is very repetitive and I feel like they could’ve done more here.

The confrontation between Sandy and Plankton is at least somewhat entertaining. I very much enjoyed seeing Sandy kick Plankton’s butt and save the day. How I wish the episode ended here. They even had Clownfish Capers playing, they should’ve ended it here! But no. No no no. We can’t be having too much fun apparently, because even though Sandy has done nothing wrong and saved the day, she gets arrested at the end of the episode because she didn’t have her fur. The last little stinger makes me extremely upset, and I leave this episode with an awful, awful taste in my mouth.

You know, this episode would’ve been improved immensely if it leaned into a horror-comedy aspect more. Like Plankton walking around in a Sandy suit?? That’s horrifying but also hilarious…in theory. The episode did not play with this idea at all and I don’t understand why. This is a far better alternative than the trashy plot we got. The episode also should’ve done away with the entire part where Plankton is present for Sandy’s shower because that was weird. The only really good thing in this episode was Sandy solving everything herself, so I would definitely keep that. Reduce SpongeBob’s role considerably, scrap the borderline offensive ending, and have Sandy kick Plankton’s butt. That would’ve been so much more entertaining. In fact, I think I just thought of a better plot. Imagine if this episode starts out with Sandy looking unsettling and acting increasingly weird. We eventually get the reveal that it’s Plankton in a Sandy suit, but with no answers as to where Sandy is. Sandy then comes in and kicks Plankton’s butt, saving the day for both herself and any other characters involved. See how much better that is?

“Someone’s in the Kitchen With Sandy” is immensely frustrating. Actually, it’s infuriating. And fresh off the heels of “Stuck in the Wringer”, I am hardly in a forgiving mood. This episode is extremely disappointing because of the promise of new character interactions that was ultimately wasted. The episode is also just idiotic in certain places, specifically involving the Bikini Bottomites (just like last episode, how about that!). This season is for sure where the whole ‘a-hole Bikini Bottomites’ trend really took off, because this is ridiculous. 5 episodes in and I’ve already wanted to burn down the town twice? Not a good look. This episode also just felt like it had a personal vendetta against Sandy or something, even more than how “Stuck in the Wringer” treated SpongeBob. I think this episode is worse because Sandy does not appear so often, so in one of the few chances we get to see her, this is what they do with it? Absolutely ridiculous. There are some redeeming qualities to this episode, but they do not improve this episode at all, I can only acknowledge their existence. That’s why we’re hitting our second “Abysmal”-tier episode in a row, and third one overall. It’s honestly impressive, considering that this tier is extremely difficult to reach.

Episode Tier: Abysmal
Episode Score:
1.5/10

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
So I guess season 7 has decided to completely give up on trying to return to its strong beginning, huh? “Someone’s in the Kitchen With Sandy” is another episode where I question the entirety of the writing process here. And it’s another episode that infuriates me. What a wonderful combination! Someone must be laughing at me, because what’s with episodes focusing on characters that need to be focused on and then disappointing me? I already talked about how they’ve been doing it with Gary, and now they give me a Sandy-focused episode and it’s this? My lord.

The episode actually generates interest as we begin with Plankton. Because that tells me that we might be seated for an interaction we’ve never seen—Sandy and Plankton! Of course, the episode will go on to squander this potential (at least “Perfect Chemistry” does it properly, but that won’t be til the end of the month ;-;). Plankton’s plan here in this beginning scene makes literally no sense, but I move on. How no one sees Plankton is also extremely questionable, but if I was going to nitpick the episode this hard, I’d be here all day. And after going ham on “Stuck in the Wringer”, I just want to get this annoying episode over with as soon as possible, you know?

Actually, I have to say one more thing about the writing, but this is less of a nitpick since it ends up being the episode’s plot…the entire idea that Sandy wears her fur like a suit makes so little sense that I can’t even begin. Firstly, it makes no sense with the existence of an episode like “Survival of the Idiots”, but that’s not a very valid critique since this show has no consistency. It’s also just clearly done to subvert expectations and make a joke out of. I feel like this episode was definitely created with the thought of Sandy wearing a fur suit first, and then the rest of it afterwards to justify that idea. And lastly, it also just feels like an excuse to make the fact that Plankton is present in Sandy’s shower without her knowing feel less unimaginably creepy than it actually is. So now this episode already just weirds me out in like 3 different ways.

This episode makes me realize just how much I’ve missed Sandy. Seeing her for more than just a couple minutes is such a treat. I just wish it was under better circumstances. When she breaks down the door and swears to get whoever stole her fur, I’m with it. But then she starts going through Bikini Bottom, and my ire for the townspeople begins to flare again. I really need to know where the joke is here. Where is the joke in Sandy having her literal fur stolen, and when she works to try and get it back no one helps her and everyone laughs at her? Not just laughs at her, but also shames her and calls her a rat, a chipmunk, and a hairless goat. This could honestly be argued as a poorly-executed xenophobia allegory.

Honestly, I don’t think this episode is trying to be a xenophobia allegory, but I feel like this might be a nicer interpretation than saying that writers completely neglected to form one critical thought about the implications behind this story, and so had the townspeople call attention to the fact that Sandy is different than them and ridicule her for it without considering how this is literally a textbook xenophobia allegory. And even without considering all of that stuff, this entire segment of the episode is extremely unpleasant because Sandy has done not a single thing wrong. Just like last episode spent so much time tormenting SpongeBob, this episode does the same to Sandy. It’s ridiculous, and I fail to see how this is even faintly amusing. Additionally, given that Sandy is still wearing a bikini top and bottom, the fact that she’s supposedly nude makes no sense. So now this is frustrating on all levels.

As for Plankton’s part of the story, when he walks around wearing Sandy’s fur, it starts out entertaining enough. Mr. Lawrence’s southern accent is hilarious (and clearly improved upon in The Cosmic Shake). But once he gets to the Krusty Krab, things drag a little bit. The first interactions with SpongeBob are actually entertaining, but it doesn’t last. Does “ooh, try again” ring a bell? This part doesn’t actually annoy me really, because it feels satisfying to see Plankton get so upset, given that my rage at this episode is being partly directed towards him. But this part is very repetitive and I feel like they could’ve done more here.

The confrontation between Sandy and Plankton is at least somewhat entertaining. I very much enjoyed seeing Sandy kick Plankton’s butt and save the day. How I wish the episode ended here. They even had Clownfish Capers playing, they should’ve ended it here! But no. No no no. We can’t be having too much fun apparently, because even though Sandy has done nothing wrong and saved the day, she gets arrested at the end of the episode because she didn’t have her fur. The last little stinger makes me extremely upset, and I leave this episode with an awful, awful taste in my mouth.

You know, this episode would’ve been improved immensely if it leaned into a horror-comedy aspect more. Like Plankton walking around in a Sandy suit?? That’s horrifying but also hilarious…in theory. The episode did not play with this idea at all and I don’t understand why. This is a far better alternative than the trashy plot we got. The episode also should’ve done away with the entire part where Plankton is present for Sandy’s shower because that was weird. The only really good thing in this episode was Sandy solving everything herself, so I would definitely keep that. Reduce SpongeBob’s role considerably, scrap the borderline offensive ending, and have Sandy kick Plankton’s butt. That would’ve been so much more entertaining. In fact, I think I just thought of a better plot. Imagine if this episode starts out with Sandy looking unsettling and acting increasingly weird. We eventually get the reveal that it’s Plankton in a Sandy suit, but with no answers as to where Sandy is. Sandy then comes in and kicks Plankton’s butt, saving the day for both herself and any other characters involved. See how much better that is?

“Someone’s in the Kitchen With Sandy” is immensely frustrating. Actually, it’s infuriating. And fresh off the heels of “Stuck in the Wringer”, I am hardly in a forgiving mood. This episode is extremely disappointing because of the promise of new character interactions that was ultimately wasted. The episode is also just idiotic in certain places, specifically involving the Bikini Bottomites (just like last episode, how about that!). This season is for sure where the whole ‘a-hole Bikini Bottomites’ trend really took off, because this is ridiculous. 5 episodes in and I’ve already wanted to burn down the town twice? Not a good look. This episode also just felt like it had a personal vendetta against Sandy or something, even more than how “Stuck in the Wringer” treated SpongeBob. I think this episode is worse because Sandy does not appear so often, so in one of the few chances we get to see her, this is what they do with it? Absolutely ridiculous. There are some redeeming qualities to this episode, but they do not improve this episode at all, I can only acknowledge their existence. That’s why we’re hitting our second “Abysmal”-tier episode in a row, and third one overall. It’s honestly impressive, considering that this tier is extremely difficult to reach.

Episode Score: 1.5/10
i have now been reminded of this episode's existence

thanks i hate it lol

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast

Episode Score: 1.5/10
I also despise this one...

Mainly for the un-funniness

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
After last episode, you'd think I'd also have a lot to say about this one, another one of the most hated episodes ever. Sorry to disappoint, but I honestly don't think this episode is that terrible. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely a bad one, but it doesn't really annoy me as much as it does for other people. One of the main complaints I see about this episode is the townspeople's treatment of Sandy, which I don't really have a problem with. Stupid, yes, but I think because I don't really care much for Sandy in the first place (sorry to any die-hard Sandy fans out there) it doesn't really phase me that much. Honestly, I found the cop calling Sandy a hairless goat kinda funny. Obvious Imitation Krabs similarities aside, my main issue with this episode is just that nothing really happens throughout it. The first scene with Plankton piloting Sandy's body is fairly amusing, but after that they just don't really try and do anything funny with it. Combine that with some painfully slow scenes with Spongebob and you have an episode where it seems like the writers didn't even know what they wanted to do with it. They spend so much time on this that they have to awkwardly introduce Sandy into the end of the episode in a very jarring way. Honestly, I say just remove the B-plot entirely and just focus on the Spongebob stuff. Or you know what? Just remove Spongebob and focus entirely on Plankton. Or just don't make the episode in the first place, that works too.

Weak episode (4/10)

1. Growth Spout (7)
2. I ♥ Dancing (6)
3. Tentacle-Vision (5)
4. Someone's in the Kitchen With Sandy (4)
5. Stuck in the Wringer (1)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
I have question for this episode. Why did Sandy get TORTURED FOR NO REASON AT ALL? Because of Plankton. This is a very abysmal episode in matter fact one of the worst of season 7

Rating: Despicable Episode

Rankings:
I ❤ Dancing (Good)
Growth Spout (Okay)
Tentacle-Vision (Okay)
Stuck in the Wringer (Mediocre)
Someone's in the Kitchen With Sandy (Despicable)

SpongebobMaster

Dollarbob enjoyer
What a despicable episode even as a kid i hated this one i always got mad at the townspeople and even i knew spongebob was stupid in this COME ON YOU COULDN'T EVEN GET THAT RIGHT FOR YOUR MAIN AUDIENCE one of the worst i don't know why i didn't put this one on my list of my least favorite episodes

SneakyMcSneakyPants

Floating Shopping List
It's horrible. Until I rewatch it to see it in all its glorious horrible-ness, that's all I can say about it.

Back