126. The Clash of Triton

CakeCup

Facing the BSOD
The Clash of Triton:
Boring special that is VERY, VERY disappointing.
There is no "battle", and that is only the start of things that are wrong with this special. The backstory is stupid, pointless, and goes on for too long, King Neptune looks up his son just for being nice, and the story makes no sense. Not to mention, Spongebob's grotesque face and his breath when he pressed on the cage the Triton was locked in was disgusting. Even worse than the toenail scene in "House Fancy".

2.5/10, AKA Awful

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
Season: 6

Episode: The Clash of Triton

This episode was atrocious. The plot was bland. There wasn't even an "epic battle" to begin with. There were few funny jokes. 4/10

Cha

I love SBM
Guess I didn't really explain myself back then on why this special irks me mostly.

Literally Neptune put Triton in a cage for years to make him not care about mortals. Even though he spent his time trying to cure all mortal diseases and stuff. And at the end, they don't even try to fix this and give Triton the right to care for mortals again. Plus they don't even say what Neptune did of putting his son in a cage was wrong because he wanted him to only care about immortal beings and using his powers. But no Triton just hated everyone because he was put in a cage and traumatized from it. "Don't send me back to the cage, man!" He became as selfish as his father, but who could blame him. I'd be ticked off too.

But I guess the whole ending was joking that the immortals are all full of themselves anyways? Or maybe I read into it wrong, Neptune said all he wanted was for Triton to use his godly powers. Maybe Neptune got over the whole not caring about mortals thing, very unlikely though. If they were going for that joke ending, they should have made it more clear.

There's probably other flaws to this special like Triton not actually fighting SpongeBob, the lack of Mindy (to be fair, her Neptune was completely different from the one in the series), etc but what I mentioned above was my biggest issue.

The references to Goofy Goobers and He-man were cool though.

Alex Squarepants

angrier than ever
Many people think this episode is a huge waste of time, and I can why many people hate it. But, it's also a little underrated. This episode ends up in a middle ground territory. I'll admit there were a few jokes that made me laugh a little bit, but that's it , only a few. There wasn't many cool and fun action scenes, not enough to keep me intrested. And the episode ends with Spongebob and Patrick running from the people. This is one of the worst ending ever. Definetly watchable, but not enough strong feelings for this either.

5/10

CakeCup

Facing the BSOD
JingleCup said:
The Clash of Triton:
Boring special that is VERY, VERY disappointing.
There is no "battle", and that is only the start of things that are wrong with this special. The backstory is stupid, pointless, and goes on for too long, King Neptune looks up his son just for being nice, and the story makes no sense. Not to mention, Spongebob's grotesque face and his breath when he pressed on the cage the Triton was locked in was disgusting. Even worse than the toenail scene in "House Fancy".

2.5/10, AKA Awful
I still feel the same about this episode as I did a year ago. I was expecting some sort of crazy battle or something of substance, but I instead got a painfully dull 22 minute special. The false advertising is only the tip of the "What makes this special the worst of SpongeBob" iceberg. The story is confusing: Am I supposed to be on Neptune's side or Triton's side? I mean, we're supposed to feel sorry for Neptune, but he punishes his own son just for being nice. And Triton just lashed out at the citizens of Bikini Bottom instead of his own dad. That makes both of the characters unlikeable here. Actually, almost all the characters acted either stupid, cruel, or just downright terrible in this episode. Combine that with a excruciatingly boring back story, man we are in for a treat. The only characters that were good here were Squidward and Queen Amphitrite. To add insult to injury, since it was season 6, they JUST had to throw in a disgusting closeup of SpongeBob's face when he pressed on Triton's cage. Everything here is just so wasted. At least I can give props to having a Goofy Goober and He-man reference, so it's not the worst SpongeBob episode that I have ever seen. But it's just so disappointing and stupid and just flat out......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXB-5MbKBgs
that it gets the spot as the worst SpongeBob special of all time.
CakeCup gives this a 2/10

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
It's laughable how bad the story is in this episode. Everyone is a jerk and nothing happens. At least you've survived the worst season in SpongeBob history. (Well in my opinion, to be fair season 7 kinda sucks too but after LOBB season 7 becomes at least tolerable imo)

2.5/10

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
A lot of people expected this to be something great, but it did the opposite, it fits pretty well with the other crap in Season 6. With making a character look bad, not making sense, being repetitive as heck, and not being funny. It's one of those episodes that I feel like goes out of its way to be awful, I don't like it. I hope you enjoyed your Season 6athon, nice way to end it lol.

Birds858

Floating Shopping List
Probably the worst special i’v ever see, Neptune is a jerk but at one point that he’s literaly want to destroy Bikini Bottom just because he’s powerful and immortals, the ending was disappointing, no action scene and the entire episode was boring.

1/10

Fred's leg!

Imitation Krab
Birds858 said:
Probably the worst special i’v ever see, Neptune is a jerk but at one point that he’s literaly want to destroy Bikini Bottom just because he’s powerful and immortals, the ending was disappointing, no action scene and the entire episode was boring.

1/10
Amen to that!

I thought this one was just okay. It's passable, and I like some of the jokes, plus the audience fish were really funny, but it's pretty boring at times, plus this type of thing doesn't work well with SpongeBob. But they tried their best.

Final Ranking:
1. Chum Bucket Supreme (A+)
2. Patty Caper (A+)
3. Krabby Road (A)
4. Not Normal (A)
5. Sand Castles in the Sand (A)
6. Krusty Krushers (A)
7. Suction Cup Symphony (A)
8. Overbooked (A)
9. No Hat for Pat (B)
10. Single Cell Anniversary (B)
11. The Slumber Party (B)
12. Truth or Square (B)
13. Chum Caverns (B)
14. A Life in a Day (B)
15. Gone (B)
16. Ditchin' (B)
17. Komputer Overload (B)
18. No Nose Knows (B)
19. Toy Store of Doom (B)
20. Slide Whistle Stooges (B)
21. Shell Shocked (C)
22. House Fancy (C)
23. Grandpappy the Pirate (C)
24. Giant Squidward (C)
25. To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants (C)
26. Spongicus (C)
27. Pineapple Fever (C)
28. Plankton's Regular (C)
29. Gullible Pants (C)
30. Nautical Novice (C)
31. Professor Squidward (C)
32. The Clash of Triton (C)
33. SpongeBob SquarePants vs. The Big One (C)
34. Porous Pockets (C)
35. Shuffleboarding (D)
36. Squid's Visit (D)
37. Penny Foolish (D)
38. Grooming Gary (D)
39. The Krabby Kronicle (D)
40. Sun Bleached (D)
41. Dear Vikings (E)
42. Cephalopod Lodge (E)
43. The Splinter (F)
44. Boating Buddies (F)
45. Pet or Pests (F)
46. The Card (F-)
47. Choir Boys (F-)

That took longer than expected. I need a break before I do Season 7.

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
I literally facepalmed after this eppy was over. There are some jokes and all. But the title is surely a very clickbait title. Also this one was boring. There were some funny jokes though.

Rating: Inferior Episode

Rankings:
Grandpappy the Pirate (Perfect)
Chum Bucket Supreme (Perfect)
Suction Cup Symphony (Perfect)
Single Cell Anniversary (Amazing)
No Hat for Pat (Amazing)
Krabby Road (Amazing)
Boating Buddies (Great)
A Life in a Day (Great)
Grooming Gary (Great)
Nautical Novice (Great)
Overbooked (Great)
Truth or Square (Good)
To SquarePants or Not To SquarePants (Good)
No Nose Knows (Good)
Slide Whistle Stooges (Good)
Not Normal (Good)
Porous Pockets (Good)
Gone (Good)
Spongicus (Good)
Shell Shocked (Good)
Chum Caverns (Good)
Giant Squidward (Okay)
Professor Squidward (Alright)
SBSP Vs. The Big One (Alright)
Penny Foolish (Meh)
Pineapple Fever (Meh)
Sand Castles in the Sand (Meh)
Dear Vikings (Meh)
Squid's Visit (Mediocre)
Plankton's Regular (Mediocre)
Toy Store of Doom (Bad)
Komputer Overload (Bad)
Cephalopod Lodge (Bad)
Patty Caper (Bad)
Krusty Krushers (Bad)
The Slumber Party (Bad)
House Fancy (Bad)
Sun Bleached (Bad)
Gullible Pants (Bad)
The Clash of Triton (Inferior)
Shuffleboarding (Inferior)
The Card (Inferior)
Pet or Pests (Facepalm)
Choir Boys (Terrible)
The Krabby Kronicle (Terrible)
The Splinter (THE ULTRA MEGA SCUM OF THE EARTH!)

And now season 6 is finished im skipping season 7 and moving on to season 8

Last edited:

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
The last episode of season 6 being a special was made to spite me specifically…especially considering that right now I’m entering finals season. But we persevere! You know, I actually remember "The Clash of Triton" premiering, at least I think. It’s a very hazy memory, so could be false theoretically. Honestly, this entire episode is a hazy memory, even after rewatching it.

And that’s a perfect segue into my main issue with this episode—it’s boring. Good god it’s boring. How can you make an episode with the return of a character we haven’t seen in literally 10 years (outside of one gag) boring? Oh I know, by not focusing on that character at all. Like Neptune is a perfectly fine and interesting character, why are we focusing on his son? The plot itself does not really interest me because I do not care for the drama of a character we already barely see. I just feel like this episode misses so many opportunities to do something legitimately interesting. Such as the first bit at the Krusty Krab when Mr. Krabs assumes he’s being pranked. It could’ve been funnier to hear Queen Amphitrite’s side of the conversation, or for things to be a lot more dramatic and expressive. What we got was just meh.

The fact that I’m halfway through the episode and have only written like 2 paragraphs, should tell you all you need to know about this episode. It’s quite unremarkable, and I feel like I’m just sitting here waiting for something to happen. When SpongeBob finds Triton, we’re forced to watch a very uncomfortable and unfunny scene. And it’s also during this scene that I realize that Triton literally does not have an interesting character whatsoever, which adds to the boring vibes. And then Patrick enters the episode, which both excites me and fills me with concern. I’m excited because yay something new to shake things up. But I’m concerned because this season has not had a good track record at making SpongeBob and Patrick work well together. It actually turns out fine, but again nothing much happens. They free Triton, go on a joyride, and then Triton turns out to be just as bad as his father when it comes to treating people like crap. So I guess that means the cage punishment actually worked? Unfortunately it also means that I really don’t care about Neptune or Triton, so…yeah.

And then the episode completely switches gears because it wants to flex that it is, in fact, a special. And see I wouldn’t even mind this conflict if I was actually interested in what was going on. But as I’ve been saying this whole time, I really don’t care LMAO. None of these guest characters are pleasant. I also just think the pacing of this episode is kinda really bad lol. I mean Triton only gets freed like…15 minutes in, and he only starts destroying stuff like 17 minutes in or so. So, not that great for an episode called “The Clash of Triton”.

Now, the episode isn’t a complete failure at any and all things, not even close. For as much as I say it isn’t funny, it does have its moments. I liked that gag with Patrick at the beginning when SpongeBob’s being all dramatic with the spatula (which I’m choosing to see as a reference to “Neptune’s Spatula” because if this episode really went for its entire runtime without a reference to that…idk what I’ll do), or Mr. Krabs’ quip about paying SpongeBob and Squidward. I also liked the way the episode parodied people obsessed with a certain royal family. SpongeBob’s complete obliviousness to the problem of mentioning Triton ended up being more amusing than I expected too. The secret entrance bit was nice too. I also liked the reference to the movie with the Triple Gooberberry Sunrise part, so at least we got one much-needed reference. And then the ending of the episode was great too, so that helps to not end things on a sour note.

I guess another “problem” with this episode is that it uses the exact opposite arc as the one we saw in the first movie between King Neptune and Mindy. I know this show doesn’t care about consistency, which is why I don’t regard this as a real problem, but it does feel a little weird for this episode to be borrowing from the movie in such an important way, but then switching it up. In that movie, Mindy taught Neptune how to care for the people he rules over. In this episode, Neptune is teaching Triton not to care. It’s weird. And again, this episode makes both of those characters incredible jerkwads, so it’s not like I care about what happens to them at all.

Boring, boring, and a little more boring. That’s what “The Clash of Triton” was to me. There was soooooo much missed potential here to do anything even remotely interesting, because what we got truly was not it. And there was at least an attempt here to make the boring entertaining, but it wasn’t enough. I won’t say it’s “Mediocre”-tier just because the episode, believe it or not, does not actually irritate me, but it is so very dull, so a low “Okay” is exactly where it needs to go. For as much as this show usually has good endings within episodes, it rarely seems to stick the landing when it comes to seasons.

Episode Tier: Okay
Episode Score:
6.3/10

And that’s a wrap on season 6! Can’t believe it’s already about that time, feels like just yesterday I was reviewing “Krabby Road”. Ah well, we all know the drill by now. Season overview will be out tomorrow, and then we’ll begin with season 7!

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
great review as always, and good luck on your finals
The last episode of season 6 being a special was made to spite me specifically…especially considering that right now I’m entering finals season. But we persevere! You know, I actually remember "The Clash of Triton" premiering, at least I think. It’s a very hazy memory, so could be false theoretically. Honestly, this entire episode is a hazy memory, even after rewatching it.

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
great review as always, and good luck on your finals
Thank you! Just one exam and 2 papers, so not too bad. I just can't wait for the summer (even though it'll be just as busy as the school year, but I'm pretending it's not)

Heyo_Heyo

Moby Dollar

And that’s a perfect segue into my main issue with this episode—it’s boring. Good god it’s boring. How can you make an episode with the return of a character we haven’t seen in literally 10 years (outside of one gag) boring? Oh I know, by not focusing on that character at all. Like Neptune is a perfectly fine and interesting character, why are we focusing on his son? The plot itself does not really interest me because I do not care for the drama of a character we already barely see. I just feel like this episode misses so many opportunities to do something legitimately interesting. Such as the first bit at the Krusty Krab when Mr. Krabs assumes he’s being pranked. It could’ve been funnier to hear Queen Amphitrite’s side of the conversation, or for things to be a lot more dramatic and expressive. What we got was just meh.

The fact that I’m halfway through the episode and have only written like 2 paragraphs, should tell you all you need to know about this episode. It’s quite unremarkable, and I feel like I’m just sitting here waiting for something to happen. When SpongeBob finds Triton, we’re forced to watch a very uncomfortable and unfunny scene. And it’s also during this scene that I realize that Triton literally does not have an interesting character whatsoever, which adds to the boring vibes. And then Patrick enters the episode, which both excites me and fills me with concern. I’m excited because yay something new to shake things up. But I’m concerned because this season has not had a good track record at making SpongeBob and Patrick work well together. It actually turns out fine, but again nothing much happens. They free Triton, go on a joyride, and then Triton turns out to be just as bad as his father when it comes to treating people like crap. So I guess that means the cage punishment actually worked? Unfortunately it also means that I really don’t care about Neptune or Triton, so…yeah.

And then the episode completely switches gears because it wants to flex that it is, in fact, a special. And see I wouldn’t even mind this conflict if I was actually interested in what was going on. But as I’ve been saying this whole time, I really don’t care LMAO. None of these guest characters are pleasant. I also just think the pacing of this episode is kinda really bad lol. I mean Triton only gets freed like…15 minutes in, and he only starts destroying stuff like 17 minutes in or so. So, not that great for an episode called “The Clash of Triton”.

Now, the episode isn’t a complete failure at any and all things, not even close. For as much as I say it isn’t funny, it does have its moments. I liked that gag with Patrick at the beginning when SpongeBob’s being all dramatic with the spatula (which I’m choosing to see as a reference to “Neptune’s Spatula” because if this episode really went for its entire runtime without a reference to that…idk what I’ll do), or Mr. Krabs’ quip about paying SpongeBob and Squidward. I also liked the way the episode parodied people obsessed with a certain royal family. SpongeBob’s complete obliviousness to the problem of mentioning Triton ended up being more amusing than I expected too. The secret entrance bit was nice too. I also liked the reference to the movie with the Triple Gooberberry Sunrise part, so at least we got one much-needed reference. And then the ending of the episode was great too, so that helps to not end things on a sour note.

I guess another “problem” with this episode is that it uses the exact opposite arc as the one we saw in the first movie between King Neptune and Mindy. I know this show doesn’t care about consistency, which is why I don’t regard this as a real problem, but it does feel a little weird for this episode to be borrowing from the movie in such an important way, but then switching it up. In that movie, Mindy taught Neptune how to care for the people he rules over. In this episode, Neptune is teaching Triton not to care. It’s weird. And again, this episode makes both of those characters incredible jerkwads, so it’s not like I care about what happens to them at all.

Boring, boring, and a little more boring. That’s what “The Clash of Triton” was to me. There was soooooo much missed potential here to do anything even remotely interesting, because what we got truly was not it. And there was at least an attempt here to make the boring entertaining, but it wasn’t enough. I won’t say it’s “Mediocre”-tier just because the episode, believe it or not, does not actually irritate me, but it is so very dull, so a low “Okay” is exactly where it needs to go. For as much as this show usually has good endings within episodes, it rarely seems to stick the landing when it comes to seasons.

Episode Tier: Okay
Episode Score: 6.3/10

And that’s a wrap on season 6! Can’t believe it’s already about that time, feels like just yesterday I was reviewing “Krabby Road”. Ah well, we all know the drill by now. Season overview will be out tomorrow, and then we’ll begin with season 7!
Ngl from your message on the Truth Or Square page I thought you were gonna be positive on this episode but it’s good you weren’t 😂

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Ngl from your message on the Truth Or Square page I thought you were gonna be positive on this episode but it’s good you weren’t 😂
LMAO yeah no. I didn't wanna give it away but I did hope that since I was positive with Truth or Square, you'd know I would not be here. But I guess it's fun to have surprises now and then lol

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
Here we are, the last episode of season 6. And it's a special too! Surely they'll go out with a bang on this one right? ...right??? To tell you the truth, the beginning of this episode shows promise, with the royal family coming to the Krusty Krab and some mildly amusing moments resulting from that. Although I do question why Neptune would come to the Krusty Krab for his FIVE THOUSANDTH birthday, but I digress. Unfortunately, after Neptune tells his story about Triton, the episode completely falls apart and becomes a boring slog. The story feels so rushed, and with a longer runtime you would think they'd actually go in depth with some of these elements, but they just don't. A good example of this is how Spongebob says "I'll reunite Neptune and his son!" and there's just an abrupt cut with Spongebob suddenly on the island. No explanation, no exposition, no nothing. It feels like they wrote the script for this one on the spot, as it just meanders on and on with no direction. I found myself zoning out multiple times during this. Shame, this had the potential to be something so great and refreshing for Spongebob but it ultimately ended up being a dud.

Weak episode (4/10)

1. No Hat for Pat (9)
2. Not Normal (8)
3. Overbooked (7)
4. Ditchin' (7)
5. The Slumber Party (7)
6. Chum Bucket Supreme (7)
7. Single Cell Anniversary (7)
8. Sand Castles in the Sand (7)
9. Komputer Overload (7)
10. Krabby Road (7)
11. Grandpappy the Pirate (6)
12. Porous Pockets (6)
13. House Fancy (6)
14. Chum Caverns (6)
15. Patty Caper (6)
16. A Life in a Day (6)
17. Sun Bleached (5)
18. Spongicus (5)
19. Spongebob Squarepants vs. The Big One (5)
20. Nautical Novice (5)
21. Krusty Krushers (5)
22. Toy Store of Doom (5)
23. Plankton's Regular (5)
24. Truth or Square (5)
25. Pineapple Fever (5)
26. No Nose Knows (5)
27. Suction Cup Symphony (5)
28. Grooming Gary (4)
29. Shuffeboarding (4)
30. Gullible Pants (4)
31. Cephalopod Lodge (4)
32. Dear Vikings (4)
33. The Krabby Kronicle (4)
34. Shell Shocked (4)
35. The Clash of Triton (4)
36. Penny Foolish (4)
37. Gone (4)
38. To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants (4)
39. Slide Whistle Stooges (3)
40. Giant Squidward (3)
41. Professor Squidward (3)
42. The Splinter (3)
43. The Card (3)
44. Boating Buddies (3)
45. Choir Boys (2)
46. Pet or Pests (2)
47. Squid's Visit (2)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
Here we are, the last episode of season 6. And it's a special too! Surely they'll go out with a bang on this one right? ...right??? To tell you the truth, the beginning of this episode shows promise, with the royal family coming to the Krusty Krab and some mildly amusing moments resulting from that. Although I do question why Neptune would come to the Krusty Krab for his FIVE THOUSANDTH birthday, but I digress. Unfortunately, after Neptune tells his story about Triton, the episode completely falls apart and becomes a boring slog. The story feels so rushed, and with a longer runtime you would think they'd actually go in depth with some of these elements, but they just don't. A good example of this is how Spongebob says "I'll reunite Neptune and his son!" and there's just an abrupt cut with Spongebob suddenly on the island. No explanation, no exposition, no nothing. It feels like they wrote the script for this one on the spot, as it just meanders on and on with no direction. I found myself zoning out multiple times during this. Shame, this had the potential to be something so great and refreshing for Spongebob but it ultimately ended up being a dud.

Weak episode (4/10)

1. No Hat for Pat (9)
2. Not Normal (8)
3. Overbooked (7)
4. Ditchin' (7)
5. The Slumber Party (7)
6. Chum Bucket Supreme (7)
7. Single Cell Anniversary (7)
8. Sand Castles in the Sand (7)
9. Komputer Overload (7)
10. Krabby Road (7)
11. Grandpappy the Pirate (6)
12. Porous Pockets (6)
13. House Fancy (6)
14. Chum Caverns (6)
15. Patty Caper (6)
16. A Life in a Day (6)
17. Sun Bleached (5)
18. Spongicus (5)
19. Spongebob Squarepants vs. The Big One (5)
20. Nautical Novice (5)
21. Krusty Krushers (5)
22. Toy Store of Doom (5)
23. Plankton's Regular (5)
24. Truth or Square (5)
25. Pineapple Fever (5)
26. No Nose Knows (5)
27. Suction Cup Symphony (5)
28. Grooming Gary (4)
29. Shuffeboarding (4)
30. Gullible Pants (4)
31. Cephalopod Lodge (4)
32. Dear Vikings (4)
33. The Krabby Kronicle (4)
34. Shell Shocked (4)
35. The Clash of Triton (4)
36. Penny Foolish (4)
37. Gone (4)
38. To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants (4)
39. Slide Whistle Stooges (3)
40. Giant Squidward (3)
41. Professor Squidward (3)
42. The Splinter (3)
43. The Card (3)
44. Boating Buddies (3)
45. Choir Boys (2)
46. Pet or Pests (2)
47. Squid's Visit (2)
And now both you and Pugs are on Season 7! Hyped for your opinion on Tentacle-Vision :D

SpongebobMaster

Dollarbob enjoyer
oh boy... one of the most infamous episodes of the show and my thoughts? i haven't seen it but as of everyone the main complains about it are:
its boring it takes way too long for the good things and its a dissapointing special so uhhhhh
?/10

Back