123-124. Truth or Square

Take A Step, Inside Your Mind! I'm Stalking you.
E.V.I.L said:
I don't understand why pepole let the promos disappoint them, I stillt hought it was creative, funny, and entertainging. I guess one thing that made me mad is that they used very klittle Sandy, which being a main character REALLY DISSAPPOINTED ME as this was a 10TH ANNIVERSERY SPECIAL.!!!
calm down E.V.I.L its a KK episode which she barely appears in anyway. 8.5/10 a great episode with good songs.

Trophy said:
calm down E.V.I.L its a KK episode which she barely appears in anyway. 8.5/10 a great episode with good songs.
Just because you personally don't like her doesn't mean she shouldn't appear. She's a main character and deserves just as much attention as the other 6 (of course, Gary is unacceptably downplayed too)

hfjs

Very underrated episode. The ads are really the only bad part.

GordokTheMad

Stealing food is WRONG!
Milkmaidman said:
Very underrated episode. The ads are really the only bad part.
My point exactly! This is one of the more underrated episodes. I actually kind of liked it! I was disappointed in the SandyxSpongebob play scene (LIES!!!
nuu.gif
), but the other parts were good. I liked the flashbacks (as well as the SB director's cut) and I liked the characters and the plot itself. It also had some really good humor to go with it, too!

Rating: 9/10

Best Character: All of them!
aww.gif

Best Moment: The ending!

This special is so underrated. I liked this special. It's not my favorite special or one of my favorite season 6 episodes but It was very good and It way better than Atlantis SquarePantis. I didn't like Patchy's plot but I won't lower my score because I rewatched this special today and I skipped Patchy's scenes. At least some parts of Patchy's plot was funny. The first part of this episode was perfect. There were no flaws in that part. The second half of this episode was okay. There were some flaws in the second half. Some parts of the second half was boring, I didn't like that Sandy thought Squidward stole her walkie-talkie and SpongeBob and Sandy's wedding being fake (WHY? Most of people says SpongeBob is gay. If the wedding was real, they would stop saying that at least). Also Sandy didn't appear more in this episode but that's okay. This episode was a little entertaining and very funny. Most of the flashback were really funny. The flashback reminded me of Family Guy (because they use flashbacks/cutaways) after I rewatched this episode. My favorite flashbacks are Plankton getting launched scenes, Squidward sleeping on the job and the first Krusty Krab commerical. Some of lines in this episode like "Hey Sandy! I took your walkie-talkie! You better come get it! She'll be here." and "Ahhhhhh. Back then, a Krabby Patty only cost a dime. It was a dark and evil time. I still have nightmares." were really funny. The other funny parts are Patrick pushing Squidward against the wall, Gary jumping on SpongeBob's bed, Sandy brushing her teeth, someone taking Mr. Krabs' wallet and more, I liked all songs in this episode, especially A Day Like This. I don't know If I should recommend this episode because some people hates this special but I would recommend this special to post-movie fans and I would recommend them to skip Patchy's parts.

First half: 10/10
Second half 6/10
The Special without Patchy's plot: 8/10

HarryPotterLives

Jaehee is Baehee
I would have liked this thing a lot more without Patchy, but the actual SpongeBob parts are quite good. The character interactions were fun and some of the flashbacks got a laugh out of me. To be fair to the Patchy parts, some of the celebrity appearances were cool and the alternate theme songs were funny.

Mantis

killer queen best stand
Now here is a giant middle finger to who ever cared about Spongebob. The commercials said that they were going to give away the secret formula. But it LIED because they didn't. And it had a horrible Patchy segment. This special was a big disappointment like Atlantis Squarepantis.

spongebobfan64 said:
This episode is pretty underrated. It's my favorite Season 6 episode. I give it a 10/10.
Maybe you don't know this but this so-called special hits rock bottom and continues to dig deeper. It's like if Ed wrote it with GIR.

President Squidward

Mmmm donuts.
Spongetron Robotpants said:
Now here is a giant middle finger to who ever cared about Spongebob. The commercials said that they were going to give away the secret formula. But it LIED because they didn't. And it had a horrible Patchy segment. This special was a big disappointment like Atlantis Squarepantis.

Maybe you don't know this but this so-called special hits rock bottom and continues to dig deeper. It's like if Ed wrote it with GIR.
Let him have has own opinions, and we'll let you have yours.

And of course they lied, advertisers do that to hook you in. Profit!

Unfunny, boring, manipulative, and downright LAZY. A cheap, run-in-the-mill "10th anniversary special" with little substance. So much potential gone to waste for this trite crap. 2/10

Entriol

Bomb-Selling Pirate
I just forced myself to sit through this thing, and my god, I think I might have found an episode that I hate more than A Pal For Gary, and I DO NOT say that lightly. I've decided to make a list on everything wrong with this episode, enjoy:

• It takes 15 minutes for the story to begin
Not even joking about this, it literally took the episode 15 minutes for ANYTHING of substance to happen. Like, at all. Everything that happened prior to the 15 minute mark is extremely boring filler.

• The Humor Is Non-Existent
I didn't laugh at a single joke in this episode, and that's mainly because it's nothing but Squid Abuse and Patrick being an idiot, AKA the stuff we see in EVERY SINGLE EPISODE.

• Patchy
OH. MY GOD. THIS, THIS RIGHT HERE IS THE WORST PART OF THE ENTIRE EPISODE!!! THERE WAS ABSOLUTELY NO POINT TO THIS WHATSOEVER. HALF THE TIME HE'S JUST CALLING UP CELEBRITIES, THAT I MIGHT ADD ARE TERRIBLE ACTORS, OR JUST ACTING LIKE A IDIOT. "HURR DURR SPONGEBOB IS TOTES REAL" JESUS CHRIST, THIS EPISODE MADE ME DESPISE THIS CHARACTER, AND HE'S PRETTY MUCH IRREDEEMABLE AT THIS POINT. HE WAS ACTING LIKE A LITERAL PSHYCOPATH, KIDNAPPING AND HOLDING HOSTAGE THAT ONE GUY, AND THEN HARASSING OTHER CELEBRITIES ON THE PHONE. WHEN HE'S NOT ACTING CRAZY, HE'S JUST ACTING STRAIGHT-UP STUPID.

• The Flashbacks
Alright, so I'm just going to make this clear, the reason I HATE this special is not because of the promos, in fact, my hatred for this episode has absolutely nothing to do with what the network decided to hype it up to be, because that's not the writers' fault. The flashbacks alone are stupid and just down right frustrating. For example, Mr. Krabs tells Spongebob the Krabby Patty secret formula. Well, let me stop ya' right there. You know why? BECAUSE HE ALREADY KNOWS THE FORMULA, OTHERWISE HE WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN ABLE TO MAKE THE PATTIES IN THE FIRST PLACE. Oh yeah, not to mention the entire flashback is just footage of Mr. Krabs and Spongebob walking, only to arrive back at the Krusty Krab. Yeah, that WAS NOT FUNNY, It's just stupid. Then we have the Spongebob and Sandy get married flashback, which is actually pretty neat concept, except for the fact that it obliterates all the show's established canon between these two characters. Since the beginning of the show, Spongebob and Sandy have seemed to have an altruistic relationship, and nothing more. Sure, there have been hints throughout the show that Spongebob may have a crush on Sandy, but they've never directly said that aloud. Not to mention, if this were in fact a flashback, and they'd had already gotten married, you'd think that we'd see them perhaps living with each other? Or maybe even see the slightest form of interaction that may suggest that they're more than friends? Yeah, just this concept as a flashback alone just can't work. As it turns out, I'm right, and it turns out the entire thing was a play. Alright, so other than that being the biggest slap in the face to the audience possible, let's look at some other things wrong with this. Why is there a play about Spongebob getting married? No, really. Why? Do that many people in Bikini Bottom really know him all that well? Secondly, why would people call that "the worst play I've ever seen" just because some lights fell down? It doesn't affect the writing of the play in anyway, and is actually a problem on behalf of the technical staff of the play. Why don't you just go complain to them? Some may argue that they didn't like the play from the beginning, however, that is false as well, since we see seconds before this happened the entire audience looking genuinely entertained and emotionally compelled by the play. Ugh.

• Plankton
Please tell me what the point of him being in this episode was? We all knew that in the end he wasn't going to get the secret formula, and if he did, he would be ultimately defeated by Mr. Krabs and Spongebob. I'm not one of those people who immediately hates "Plankton tries to steal the Krabby Patty forumla and fails" episodes, as long as they do something new and interesting with it. They don't do this here, at all. Plankton doesn't help the story in any way, and is honestly just here to get abused.

• The Song
MY EARS!!! WHHHHYYY???? WHO THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA? I CAN EASILY SAY THAT THIS IS THE WORST SONG TO EVER COME FROM SPONGEBOB, AND YES, I'M COUNTING THE SONGS FROM ATLANTIS SQUAREPANTIS.

This episode made me remember why I stopped watching the show 4 years ago, and honestly made me briefly consider ever watching the show again after this. I had heard a lot of negative feedback about this episode beforehand, but I never thought it would be THAT bad. My god, was I wrong. This episode is the absolute worst thing to ever come from the show, and quite possibly Nickelodeon as a whole. My final ranking is 0/10. Congratulations Luke Brookshire, Steven Banks, Nate Cash, and Paul Tibbitt, I officially hate all of you with a burning passion.

More

VIP
DadMom AngryPants said:
Capsule: http://www.sbmania.net/spongebob-episodes-123._124.-Truth-or-Square

I'm watching this at the moment. I'd forgotten how funny it was.
I find Patchy particularly funny in this special, even more so than the animated segments.

Discuss.
biggrin.gif
So, where's the episode page? And what's the production number if you want to use it in a BBC code?

I didn't just like this episode, I LOVED it. See my review here.

http://www.sbmania.net/forums/topic/38501-more-spandys-top-50-spongebob-episodes-ever/

I don't know why I was so harsh on the episode when I first joined, maybe it was just side effects of getting used to post-movie hate for the first time?

The Patchy Plot was still terrible, though. It was some of his worst material. But since I don't include him in my reviews, I can enjoy the episode a lot!!!

end

Unfunny, boring, manipulative, and downright LAZY. A cheap, run-in-the-mill "10th anniversary special" with little substance. So much potential gone to waste for this trite crap. 2/10

My point still stands. It's boring. Spongebob deserved a better anniversary. Atlantis is worse, but just barely.

Back