120b. Toy Store of Doom

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
I must stop this Toy Store of Doom love. As a warrior of justice it must be said this episode is awful. It has no conflict, that's pretty much storytelling 101.

Obviously I'm being hyperbolic but Toy Store of Doom made me feel like the series was doomed.

I like this one, but it's not one of this season's best. Yeah, Patrick is a bit of a jerk here, but he's been so much worse in others episodes that i doesn't bother me. This episode also has some pretty funny quotes, such as "I can't hear you! It's too dark in here!". Not the best, but I'll take it.

Ranking so far:
1. Patty Caper (A+)
2. Krabby Road (A)
3. Not Normal (A)
4. Krusty Krushers (A)
5. Suction Cup Symphony (A)
6. Overbooked (A)
7. No Hat for Pat (B)
8. The Slumber Party (B)
9. A Life in a Day (B)
10. Gone (B)
11. Ditchin' (B)
12. Komputer Overload (B)
13. No Nose Knows (B)
14. Toy Store of Doom (B)
15. Slide Whistle Stooges (B)
16. House Fancy (C)
17. Grandpappy the Pirate (C)
18. Giant Squidward (C)
19. To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants (C)
20. Spongicus (C)
21. Plankton's Regular (C)
22. Gullible Pants (C)
23. Nautical Novice (C)
24. Professor Squidward (C)
25. SpongeBob SquarePants vs. The Big One (C)
26. Porous Pockets (C)
27. Shuffleboarding (D)
28. Squid's Visit (D)
29. Penny Foolish (D)
30. Grooming Gary (D)
31. The Krabby Kronicle (D)
32. Sun Bleached (D)
33. Dear Vikings (E)
34. Cephalopod Lodge (E)
35. The Splinter (F)
36. Boating Buddies (F)
37. Pet or Pests (F)
38. The Card (F-)
39. Choir Boys (F-)

Pstar

A helicopter (formerly an idiot)
It's pretty hard to find good humor from post-movie episodes.

7.5/10

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
I'm indifferent towards this one. I think it has a lot to like, but also a lot to hate. Spongebob and Patrick are way too childish here, and the plot feels pretty unfocused. However, I think that some of the jokes in this episode are pretty good, and the atmosphere in the second half definitely makes it stand out from a lot of other episodes from this season. It's a toss, this one.

Average episode (5/10)

1. No Hat for Pat (9)
2. Not Normal (8)
3. Overbooked (7)
4. Ditchin' (7)
5. The Slumber Party (7)
6. Komputer Overload (7)
7. Krabby Road (7)
8. Grandpappy the Pirate (6)
9. Porous Pockets (6)
10. House Fancy (6)
11. Patty Caper (6)
12. A Life in a Day (6)
13. Spongicus (5)
14. Spongebob Squarepants vs. The Big One (5)
15. Nautical Novice (5)
16. Krusty Krushers (5)
17. Toy Store of Doom (5)
18. Plankton's Regular (5)
19. No Nose Knows (5)
20. Suction Cup Symphony (5)
21. Grooming Gary (4)
22. Shuffeboarding (4)
23. Gullible Pants (4)
24. Cephalopod Lodge (4)
25. Dear Vikings (4)
26. The Krabby Kronicle (4)
27. Sun Bleached (4)
28. Penny Foolish (4)
29. Gone (4)
30. To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants (4)
31. Slide Whistle Stooges (3)
32. Giant Squidward (3)
33. Professor Squidward (3)
34. The Splinter (3)
35. The Card (3)
36. Boating Buddies (3)
37. Choir Boys (2)
38. Pet or Pests (2)
39. Squid's Visit (2)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
I hated this episode. The plot makes no sense its boring and filled with stupidy.

Rating: Bad Episode

Rankings:
Grandpappy the Pirate (Perfect)
Suction Cup Symphony (Perfect)
No Hat for Pat (Amazing)
Krabby Road (Amazing)
Boating Buddies (Great)
A Life in a Day (Great)
Grooming Gary (Great)
Nautical Novice (Great)
Overbooked (Great)
To SquarePants or Not To SquarePants (Good)
No Nose Knows (Good)
Slide Whistle Stooges (Good)
Not Normal (Good)
Porous Pockets (Good)
Gone (Good)
Spongicus (Good)
Giant Squidward (Okay)
Professor Squidward (Alright)
SBSP Vs. The Big One (Alright)
Penny Foolish (Meh)
Dear Vikings (Meh)
Squid's Visit (Mediocre)
Plankton's Regular (Mediocre)
Toy Store of Doom (Bad)
Komputer Overload (Bad)
Cephalopod Lodge (Bad)
Patty Caper (Bad)
Krusty Krushers (Bad)
The Slumber Party (Bad)
House Fancy (Bad)
Sun Bleached (Bad)
Gullible Pants (Bad)
Shuffleboarding (Inferior)
The Card (Inferior)
Pet or Pests (Facepalm)
Choir Boys (Terrible)
The Krabby Kronicle (Terrible)
The Splinter (THE ULTRA MEGA SCUM OF THE EARTH!)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
“Toy Store of Doom” is a very…interesting episode. Because if memory serves, this episode is seen very positively. But it also has many elements of episodes that I dislike. Like I mean the entire plot of this episode basically makes SpongeBob and Patrick children without an adult bone in their bodies, and y’all already know I’m not the biggest fan of that. But that doesn’t necessarily mean that this episode is going to be bad though.

The beginning of this episode is boring, which is the point. That doesn’t mean I have to like it though. See, just because you can create boringness effectively does not mean it’s conducive to a well-crafted episode. The fact that they were in Squidward’s house the whole time (which was obvious) was funny though. But I mean seriously, these first few minutes are such a drag. And then when they start crying about the store not being open…why? Why are we doing this right now? I don’t want to see or hear them crying, it’s borderline irritating. Thankfully, the construction worker feels the same way and throws Patrick inside the store. SpongeBob doing it to himself was also amusing.

When the poor cashier dreads the possibility of SpongeBob singing, I feel them deeply. Because ever since “Choir Boys” my trust in the singing in this show has gone down the drain, where it will remain until we get a good song again. And you’ll never believe what happens…that’s right, annoying noises! Not as egregious as “Choir Boys”, not even close, but they’re still there. Thankfully everything is covered up by a time card, for the most part.

Moving on, after Patrick convinces SpongeBob to hide in the store so they can stay past closing, this scene takes just a bit too long for me, especially when they’re leaving their hiding spot. When the lights turn off and they start freaking out, I find it to be…kind of amusing. I mean this episode is really leaning into the child aspect of things, so makes sense that they’d be afraid of the dark I guess. And there were a few good jokes in this part too, like Patrick not being able to hear, or the “night vision”. Patrick’s paranoia is also pretty funny, because why is he even this paranoid LMAO.

When SpongeBob and Patrick decide to fight back, I thought this was pretty entertaining. I love their little outfits. And I like how even though the toy is revealed to just be a tiny robot, they end up fighting it anyway. It’s a good subversion of the usual trope. And then the fact that they got all dressed up like this and then give up immediately was pretty funny. Patrick’s little quip about being an interesting guy was also funny. So this section of the episode was pretty good. And then the ending of the episode is good too, with SpongeBob and Patrick running out the store and their eyes burning. It’s all so fun and dramatic, and I love how Patrick just runs back inside.

I think my main issue with “Toy Store of Doom” is the fact that it feels so…incomplete and empty. Like it feels like not enough happened, which is a problem in the pacing. And I’m thinking it’s probably because we spent 3 minutes with SpongeBob and Patrick being bored. The episode should’ve just started with them walking bored and seeing the billboards. Yeah that would remove the fun joke at Squidward’s house, but it would leave more time for shenanigans at the toy store.

It’s hard to say how I rate “Toy Store of Doom”, because it feels higher than “Okay”, yet lower than “Good”. So the question is, which tier is it closest to? Well, the main difference between Okay and Good is that I will seek out Good-tier episodes in rewatches, while Okay-tier episodes I do not. With this episode, I don’t think I’d seek it out, particularly because of that dull beginning, it’s just such a drag. I suppose this ends our 4-episode run of really good episodes, huh? I just hope this doesn't mean we're about to go back down to mediocrity.

Episode Tier: Okay
Episode Score:
6.9/10

SpongebobMaster

The Guy Who Reviews UHHHHH
Did not like this one I like the concept and the name but aside from that there is no redeeming qualities aside from (1000 song filled hours later) or something idk its bad
4/10
1. No Hat For Pat (11/10)
2. Suction Cup Symphony (10/10)
3. Grandpappy The Pirate (10/10)
4. Krabby Road (9.5/10)
5. Not Normal (9.5/10)
6. Ditchin' (9.5/10)
7. Krabby Kronicle (9/10)
8. House Fancy (9/10)
9. Patty Caper (9/10)
10. Life In A Day (8.5/10)
11. Overbooked (8.5/10)
12. Spongebob Squarepants Vs The Big One (8.5/10)
13. Komputer Overload (8.5/10)
14. The Slumber Party (8.5/10)
15. Krusty Krushers (8.5/10)
16. No Nose Knows (8.5/10)
17. Squid's Visit (8/10)
18. Spongicus (7.5/10)
19. To Squarepants Or Not To Squarepants (7.5/10
20. Giant Squidward (7.5/10)
21. Gone (7/10)
22. Grooming Gary (6.5/10)
23. Penny Foolish (6.5/10)
24. Porous Pockets (5.5/10)
25. Sun Bleached (5.5/10)
26. Nautical Novice (4.5/10)
27. Toy Store Of Doom (4/10
28. Gullible Pants (3/10)
29. Professor Squidward (2.5/10)
30. Pet Or Pests (2/10)
31. Plankton's Regular (1.5/10)
32. Slide Whistle Stooges (1.5/10)
33 Shuffleboarding (1/10)
34. Boating Buddies (1/10)
35. Dear Vikings (1/10)
36. Cephalopod Lodge (0.5/10)
37. The Card (0.5/10)
38. The Splinter (0/10)
39. Choir boys (-9999/10)

Aesop

#1 Riku enjoyer
This episodes bad. It feels like it's 98% filler and 2% plot. It's so boring I have a hard time focusing on the episode itself and not space out.

Back