115b. Cephalopod Lodge

SquiddlyPie

random gal
Ehhh, I don't like this episode at all, there's tooo MUCH abuse for NO reason :no: and it's UNFAIR...and it's also boring...I mean this episode is pointless it's like the directors and stuff said ''Oh, people want a new episode, let's make it and then go to drink some beers'' , IDK I do not like this episode AT ALL...There were illuminati signs in this episode TOO...Everything about this episode it's just BAD ...a 1/10 from me :unsure:

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
At least Good Neighbors had some of that charm from early SpongeBob. This obnoxious rip-off really has no redeeming qualities outside of that sock-puppet and the designs of the squids in the lodge. Just terrible annoyance that's been done to death in season 6, and of course it's unfair to Squidward but did you expect anything else?

2.5/10

CakeCup

Facing the BSOD
Cephalopod Lodge is one of those episodes that I would classify as "so bad, it's good". I mean, there was a plethora of Squid abuse here, but not all of it was downright awful. SB and Pat dressing up as chickens and making up a club called "The Feather Friends" made me split my sides. I would totally join that club if I was in the SpongeBob universe. :P The references to the "illuminati" were...indescribable. I mean, really writers? Who the heck created that? Jokes aside, I find this episode really underrated. It seems like everybody hates it because of Squidward torture and stuff, but there were so many great jokes that I don't know what to give it. I'm just going to say 6/10 here (which is average). It's so horrible and Squidward gets awful treatment from the other cephalopods, but there were so many hilarious gags that it was brilliant.

Michael Scott

Giant Clam
CakeCup said:
Cephalopod Lodge is one of those episodes that I would classify as "so bad, it's good". I mean, there was a plethora of Squid abuse here, but not all of it was downright awful. SB and Pat dressing up as chickens and making up a club called "The Feather Friends" made me split my sides. I would totally join that club if I was in the SpongeBob universe. :P The references to the "illuminati" were...indescribable. I mean, really writers? Who the heck created that? Jokes aside, I find this episode really underrated. It seems like everybody hates it because of Squidward torture and stuff, but there were so many great jokes that I don't know what to give it. I'm just going to say 6/10 here (which is average). It's so horrible and Squidward gets awful treatment from the other cephalopods, but there were so many hilarious gags that it was brilliant.
Yeah, this episode is the perfect definition of a guilty pleasure. The story may be stupid, frustrating, and unfair to Squidward, but the comedy works well enough so that it is sort of enjoyable anyways.

SpongeBronyPH

Giant Clam
Episode: Cephalopod Lodge (S6-E115-B)

I HATE THIS EPISODE! Squidward got kicked out all because of brain-dead SpongeBob and Patrick. I also hate the idiots stinging Squid's tongue with a jellyfish. I hate the ending too. The only likable in this episode is the sock puppet scene. Worst episode EVER! PERIOD!

Final Score = 1/10 :patboo:

josemiguex

Imitation Krab
I found this episode to be great and one of my favourites of this season until I read the comments of people hating it, now I hate it too

2/10

I was joking, I really like this episode, there are some hilarious parts (it was your fault, the sock gag...) and I don't mind the squidward abuse because it's just a cartoon!!!

8/10

Fred's leg!

Imitation Krab
This is a really unique topic to revisit! It's interesting to see the gradient of opinions, starting with people saying it's as good as pre-movie to ending with the common conciseness on the episode today!

A couple of good gags here and there, but I really didn't like this episode. The "initiation" was hard to watch, SpongeBob annoys Squidward just because he's happy, and I really hated the ending.

Ranking so far:
1. Patty Caper (A+)
2. Krabby Road (A)
3. Not Normal (A)
4. Krusty Krushers (A)
5. Suction Cup Symphony (A)
6. The Slumber Party (B)
7. A Life in a Day (B)
8. Gone (B)
9. Ditchin' (B)
10. No Nose Knows (B)
11. Slide Whistle Stooges (B)
12. House Fancy (C)
13. Grandpappy the Pirate (C)
14. Giant Squidward (C)
15. Spongicus (C)
16. Plankton's Regular (C)
17. Nautical Novice (C)
18. SpongeBob SquarePants vs. The Big One (C)
19. Porous Pockets (C)
20. Penny Foolish (D)
21. Grooming Gary (D)
22. The Krabby Kronicle (D)
23. Sun Bleached (D)
24. Dear Vikings (E)
25. Cephalopod Lodge (E)
26. The Splinter (F)
27. Boating Buddies (F)
28. The Card (F-)
29. Choir Boys (F-)

FutureSponge

Imitation Krab
This episode is one of my guilty pleasures of the show. I know it's bad, and I really should hate it.. actually, no. No one should love or hate any episode. I hate that that concept gets thrown around in fandoms all the time. I'm just gonna say it outright... I think this is a good episode. It definitely has its flaws, and the ending is a huge letdown as others have mentioned, but this is personally one of those episodes that I look back on, now that we're out of the rage-filled "all modern spongebob is bad except krabs a la mode and sand castles in the sand", era of the spongebob fandom, and I see it as kind of an underrated gem.

Almost all of the jokes in this episode hit. Compared to most other mediocre or bad squid torture episodes where he doesn't deserve the torment, and yes, I will admit that Squidward does NOT deserve any of the torment he gets here, but compared to most other episodes in the same vein (i.e. Choir Boys, Boating Buddies, Squid's Visit, etc.) I actually bought Spongebob and Patrick's guilt towards what they did to Squidward.

Yes, they're annoying in this episode, but I genuinely do believe that they're sorry for what they did and realize that they made a mistake, kind of like in Giant Squidward (which is the main reason why I don't dislike that episode) and they actively try to fix their mistake. Sure, they don't do the best job at it, but I really do feel like it's sincere. I mean just look at Spongebob's face after the door guard tells him Squidward's not going to be allowed back in the lodge again. Then also Spongebob's realization and his line where he acknowledges that he didn't realize how important the lodge was to Squidward.

Even when they made their own club for Squidward to join, it never felt like they had selfish motives behind it. I always really did feel that they (or at the very least Spongebob) was trying to recreate what Squidward loved about the cephalopod lodge. And of course there's their plan at the end to get Squidward back in with no gain to themselves whatsoever. Albeit they blew it in the end, but I found it believeable and in-character for both, even if the episode wouldve been 10x better just letting Squidward win.

Honestly I feel like this episode wouldn't be so infamous if it weren't for the ending, because honestly the abuse here really isn't even that bad. Had it just ended with Squid getting back into the lodge, and ending on a joke of Spongebob and Patrick in their own club alone, I feel like this episode would probably be regarded in the same light as like House Fancy.

If I were to rewrite the ending, I'd have Squidward not only win, but be crowned the new leader of the lodge, thereby putting him in an even better and happier position than he was at the beginning of the episode, and then end on a gag of Sponge and Pat maybe being outside the lodge in their feather friends outfits, and have the joke be that the sock is a member of their club too , and is fully sentient somehow and drop some kind of line like, "geez, what were those guys' problem?", or just something goofy and silly like that.

That being said though, I don't think the bad ending was enough to spoil this episode entirely. Theres still a lot of funny gags here that I think make this episode to be pretty good. Just to name a few:

-Spongebob and Patrick's fake out "camoflouge" outfits
-The uncaring eel
-"Squidward: "I DON'T WANT TO BE A FEATHER BUDDY!" Spongebob: well do you still want to be a feather friend?"
-The sock gag in general

Those are just a few of the gems in this episode, it has a lot of funny moments that make it one of the better episodes of season 6 to me, and definitely one of the most overhated in the series imo. 6.5/10.

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
It's funny, looking back on this episode. I used to hate it so much. I mean, it's still a bad episode, but it's not as bad as the likes of One Coarse Meal or Pet Sitter Pat or even Choir Boys. I don't really find it torturous now, more just unfunny. None of the jokes really hit the mark for me, and SpongeBob and Patrick are just annoying in this episode. The only thing this episode did make me hate was the members of the Cephalopod Lodge, considering how stupid they all were from beginning to end. The episode is kind of interesting because it showed another side to Squidward, that being he's in some sort of cult/religion thing. But other than that, it was kind of boring.

The Tough Sponge Man

Floating Shopping List
I'm in the belief that the episode was pretty mean spirited towards Squidward, but at least Spongebob and Patrick tried to patch things up a little. 4 Squids out of 10

I think it would have been more interesting if we focused on the Lodge itself, showing how the few members make the choice to sacrifice their flesh to the pits of hell, SO THAT THE GREAT CTHULHU SHALL RISE AGAIN!

Okay, that's really dark by any kids show standards, but something akin to it being far worse than how Squidward sees it, and Spongebob and Patrick try to save his life.

Last edited:

GlitchyGoomba

Bomb-Selling Pirate
This episode has already been talked about a ton, and I think we can both agree that it's awful, so I'm just going to point out something interesting about it. Some people have been comparing this episode to "Good Neighbors", and even saying that it ripped off that one. I guess it's because both episodes have a similar concept of Squidward becoming the president of a certain lodge, but to be honest, they don't have much else in common. I'll tell you this though, Good Neighbors is a lot less painful to sit through than this.

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
I'll admit, this one is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. That doesn't mean I think it's good, in fact I still think this episode is kinda bad. I really do enjoy some of the gags in this episode, like the whole sock thing which was a pretty funny resolution. Unfortunately most of this episode is just Spongebob and co. screwing around in some pretty drawn out scenes without much direction. Still, I think a mild amount of amusement can be derived from this episode if you turn your brain off, which is more than what I can say for a lot of this season.

Bad episode (4/10)

1. Not Normal (8)
2. Ditchin' (7)
3. The Slumber Party (7)
4. Krabby Road (7)
5. Grandpappy the Pirate (7)
6. Porous Pockets (6)
7. House Fancy (6)
8. Patty Caper (6)
9. A Life in a Day (6)
10. Spongicus (5)
11. Spongebob Squarepants vs. The Big One (5)
12. Nautical Novice (5)
13. Krusty Krushers (5)
14. Plankton's Regular (5)
15. No Nose Knows (5)
16. Suction Cup Symphony (5)
17. Cephalopod Lodge (4)
18. Grooming Gary (4)
19. Dear Vikings (4)
20. The Krabby Kronicle (4)
21. Sun Bleached (4)
22. Penny Foolish (4)
23. Gone (4)