115b. Cephalopod Lodge

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
Guilty pleasure episode for me. The "initiation" scene was hard to watch. But it had a very funny scene. THE GIANT LIVE ACTION SOCK SCENE!

Rating: Bad episode

Rankings:
Grandpappy the Pirate (Perfect)
Suction Cup Symphony (Perfect)
Krabby Road (Amazing)
Boating Buddies (Great)
A Life in a Day (Great)
Grooming Gary (Great)
Nautical Novice (Great)
No Nose Knows (Good)
Slide Whistle Stooges (Good)
Not Normal (Good)
Porous Pockets (Good)
Gone (Good)
Spongicus (Good)
Giant Squidward (Okay)
SBSP Vs. The Big One (Alright)
Penny Foolish (Meh)
Dear Vikings (Meh)
Plankton's Regular (Mediocre)
Cephalopod Lodge (Bad)
Patty Caper (Bad)
Krusty Krushers (Bad)
The Slumber Party (Bad)
House Fancy (Bad)
Sun Bleached (Bad)
The Card (Inferior)
Choir Boys (Terrible)
The Krabby Kronicle (Terrible)
The Splinter (THE ULTRA MEGA SCUM OF THE EARTH!)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Oh boy, now what do we have here? “Cephalopod Lodge”…one of the older infamous episodes. I feel like opinions about this one have mellowed out nowadays, because I don’t hear much about this episode anymore. And that's good for me, because over the years my opinions about this episode have been on quite the upswing. I feel like deep down I always liked this episode, and I still do now. I'm just a lot more certain of and confident in my opinions nowadays, which goes to show what aging does to a person haha.

First off, I like the title of this episode haha, it just rolls off the tongue nicely. But to get into the episode proper, I like this beginning section. It sets up a bit of intrigue as Squidward acts so differently to his normal self, and I love how it unsettles both SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs, and how SpongeBob just has to get to the bottom of it. I just think their reactions to Squidward’s glee are funny, and frankly they mirror mine because I mean if you’ve watched even a single episode of this show, you know that something isn’t right here. And then I love how shady it looks when the guy comes in with a trenchcoat and fedora, because it’s giving drug sale LMAO. That’s it, I’ve cracked the code everyone, Squidward’s just on drugs! I mean, once he leaves his house later, he’s sneaking out and making sure he’s not being followed…sounds like illegal activities to me, that’s all I’m saying.

Anyway, once the episode turns over to night time, we do run into my first issue. It’s not really a big issue, but it is kind of something I’ve been noticing I’ve been having…trouble with during these season 6 episodes, and that’s choice of characters. We start this episode with Squidward, SpongeBob, and Mr. Krabs. So why, exactly, do we not see Mr. Krabs again and Patrick comes in out of nowhere? And I mean, I know exactly why this is. One problem with this season is that it limited certain characters severely. I mean I’ve already mentioned Sandy, but even Mr. Krabs falls victim to this too, because he only appears in this season when the Krusty Krab is involved in a major capacity. The only time this doesn’t happen (so far, could change as the season progresses) is “Penny Foolish”, but even that episode takes place at the Krusty Krab for a significant portion, just Mr. Krabs’ motivations are not Krusty Krab-related. But anyway, this character limiting means that we see far less varied character dynamics, which can leave things feeling stale. So that’s one big problem I have with this season, and one big reason why I really like the direction this show has been going in during the last few years. But we’ll get there when we get there. All of this is to say that it would’ve been fun to see Mr. Krabs here in “Cephalopod Lodge” instead of Patrick. And imagine how silly the disguise outfit would’ve looked on him…we were robbed!

Moving on, Squidward goes to the Illuminati Headquarters I mean, the Cephalopod Lodge. One thing I like in this episode are the designs of all the squids (or octopuses…I know Squidward is technically an octopus so are these other cephalopods octopuses too? I guess I’ll just call them cephalopods as a collective.). Anywho, the little bit we see of what the Lodge is like is entertaining, and then of course SpongeBob and Patrick show up out of the blue, which ends up getting Squidward kicked out. Now that I think about it, this episode is like a kid-friendly version of what would’ve happened to Hisoka if Gon wasn’t able to recover from his blunder with the Phantom Troupe lol (not really sure how many HxH fans are on here, but yeah, I like HxH). Anyway, once everyone gets kicked out, the back and forth between Squidward and SpongeBob especially is pretty entertaining for me. And then the whole “at least you still have” part is pretty funny. I like how SpongeBob and Patrick try to explain the situation, and how at this point, the Lodge is just unreasonable lol. When Patrick ends up saying it’s the guard’s fault, I start laughing because he’s right lol, how did they even get in if Roger was supposed to be guarding the door, hmmm?

After this failed attempt, “Cephalopod Lodge” takes a page from “Club SpongeBob” and even “Good Neighbors” with the trio forming their own club. I like how in this case, the club is formed to make Squidward feel better, which I think is wholesome. And then the whole bit with patty cake is pretty funny to me, particularly the “we don’t use our pinkies” part because of how ridiculous it is. I love how from here, the episode takes a turn with SpongeBob and Patrick literally kidnapping Squidward, like they’re keeping things nice and varied in this episode and I love it. The way Squidward says “Are you insane?” is just perfection, Rodger Bumpass does it again! This initiation scene is pretty entertaining to me, and although it gets dangerously close to lasting too long, I don’t think it actually crosses that line. The wide shot of Squidward screaming is great.

The episode continues to do a great job of being so utterly random and bizarre in its last few minutes, starting with the costumes that SpongeBob and Patrick make for the club. Like why chicken? No idea, but it’s funny. And I love how Patrick basically threatens violence against people who took the “better” name lol. And then I really love the turn the episode takes to working to get Squidward back in the Lodge. At first, I’m like “the whole episode should’ve been this”, but on second thought, I think it’s good that this episode’s plot wasn’t mainly about getting Squidward back in the Lodge, but had these few minutes of making a second club too. It keeps things different and interesting, and makes this last segment so much better. And I really love that it’s SpongeBob who comes up with the idea. The giant live action sock is the second bit of random absurdity that I love in this episode. When SpongeBob is talking through the sock, the hand motions make me laugh so hard LMAO. And the whole scene with the “eel” chasing the members of the Lodge is so, so great. I like that the plan works and Squidward is reinstated…but I like even more that in the end SpongeBob and Patrick get him kicked out once more, and I love how the episode ends with the return of the jellyfish initiation. Just a really funny ending to this good episode.

I know the biggest critique of this episode is that it counts as a “Squidward torture ::dolphin noise::”. I already explained why I think that term is BS back in my “Boating Buddies” review, I believe. So I won’t reiterate that here. Instead, I’ll just say that I don’t think this episode qualifies as anything near that, by the term’s own standards. First off, I don’t think this episode is very torturous for Squidward, it’s more like he doesn’t get what he want, not goes through bodily and emotional torment (other than the jellyfish and his crying sesh). And then second off, even if we do want to call this “Sqiudward torture”, which I don’t, it’s funny, so like…what’s the problem? It’s meant to be funny, and to me it is funny, so no problems here.

It’s wild to me that certain reviewers had such strong, negative opinions about this episode, because there’s really not much for me to dislike here at all. I guess it all depends on your perspective of what happened to Squidward here. I thought it was hilarious, and I don’t really factor in “deserving” here at all, especially because the Lodge looks like a cult anyway LMAO, so maybe SpongeBob and Patrick did Squidward a favor by getting him out of here. I just really like this episode. It’s super entertaining and really funny, and it’s even got some wholesome moments in there with SpongeBob and Patrick being earnest about wanting to get Squidward back into the Lodge so he’ll be happy. Patrick plays a minor role in things, all things considered, but he does provide some good humor throughout the episode, so he doesn’t feel wholly unnecessary.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9.1/10

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
Oh boy, now what do we have here? “Cephalopod Lodge”…one of the older infamous episodes. I feel like opinions about this one have mellowed out nowadays, because I don’t hear much about this episode anymore. And that's good for me, because over the years my opinions about this episode have been on quite the upswing. I feel like deep down I always liked this episode, and I still do now. I'm just a lot more certain of and confident in my opinions nowadays, which goes to show what aging does to a person haha.

First off, I like the title of this episode haha, it just rolls off the tongue nicely. But to get into the episode proper, I like this beginning section. It sets up a bit of intrigue as Squidward acts so differently to his normal self, and I love how it unsettles both SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs, and how SpongeBob just has to get to the bottom of it. I just think their reactions to Squidward’s glee are funny, and frankly they mirror mine because I mean if you’ve watched even a single episode of this show, you know that something isn’t right here. And then I love how shady it looks when the guy comes in with a trenchcoat and fedora, because it’s giving drug sale LMAO. That’s it, I’ve cracked the code everyone, Squidward’s just on drugs! I mean, once he leaves his house later, he’s sneaking out and making sure he’s not being followed…sounds like illegal activities to me, that’s all I’m saying.

Anyway, once the episode turns over to night time, we do run into my first issue. It’s not really a big issue, but it is kind of something I’ve been noticing I’ve been having…trouble with during these season 6 episodes, and that’s choice of characters. We start this episode with Squidward, SpongeBob, and Mr. Krabs. So why, exactly, do we not see Mr. Krabs again and Patrick comes in out of nowhere? And I mean, I know exactly why this is. One problem with this season is that it limited certain characters severely. I mean I’ve already mentioned Sandy, but even Mr. Krabs falls victim to this too, because he only appears in this season when the Krusty Krab is involved in a major capacity. The only time this doesn’t happen (so far, could change as the season progresses) is “Penny Foolish”, but even that episode takes place at the Krusty Krab for a significant portion, just Mr. Krabs’ motivations are not Krusty Krab-related. But anyway, this character limiting means that we see far less varied character dynamics, which can leave things feeling stale. So that’s one big problem I have with this season, and one big reason why I really like the direction this show has been going in during the last few years. But we’ll get there when we get there. All of this is to say that it would’ve been fun to see Mr. Krabs here in “Cephalopod Lodge” instead of Patrick. And imagine how silly the disguise outfit would’ve looked on him…we were robbed!

Moving on, Squidward goes to the Illuminati Headquarters I mean, the Cephalopod Lodge. One thing I like in this episode are the designs of all the squids (or octopuses…I know Squidward is technically an octopus so are these other cephalopods octopuses too? I guess I’ll just call them cephalopods as a collective.). Anywho, the little bit we see of what the Lodge is like is entertaining, and then of course SpongeBob and Patrick show up out of the blue, which ends up getting Squidward kicked out. Now that I think about it, this episode is like a kid-friendly version of what would’ve happened to Hisoka if Gon wasn’t able to recover from his blunder with the Phantom Troupe lol (not really sure how many HxH fans are on here, but yeah, I like HxH). Anyway, once everyone gets kicked out, the back and forth between Squidward and SpongeBob especially is pretty entertaining for me. And then the whole “at least you still have” part is pretty funny. I like how SpongeBob and Patrick try to explain the situation, and how at this point, the Lodge is just unreasonable lol. When Patrick ends up saying it’s the guard’s fault, I start laughing because he’s right lol, how did they even get in if Roger was supposed to be guarding the door, hmmm?

After this failed attempt, “Cephalopod Lodge” takes a page from “Club SpongeBob” and even “Good Neighbors” with the trio forming their own club. I like how in this case, the club is formed to make Squidward feel better, which I think is wholesome. And then the whole bit with patty cake is pretty funny to me, particularly the “we don’t use our pinkies” part because of how ridiculous it is. I love how from here, the episode takes a turn with SpongeBob and Patrick literally kidnapping Squidward, like they’re keeping things nice and varied in this episode and I love it. The way Squidward says “Are you insane?” is just perfection, Rodger Bumpass does it again! This initiation scene is pretty entertaining to me, and although it gets dangerously close to lasting too long, I don’t think it actually crosses that line. The wide shot of Squidward screaming is great.

The episode continues to do a great job of being so utterly random and bizarre in its last few minutes, starting with the costumes that SpongeBob and Patrick make for the club. Like why chicken? No idea, but it’s funny. And I love how Patrick basically threatens violence against people who took the “better” name lol. And then I really love the turn the episode takes to working to get Squidward back in the Lodge. At first, I’m like “the whole episode should’ve been this”, but on second thought, I think it’s good that this episode’s plot wasn’t mainly about getting Squidward back in the Lodge, but had these few minutes of making a second club too. It keeps things different and interesting, and makes this last segment so much better. And I really love that it’s SpongeBob who comes up with the idea. The giant live action sock is the second bit of random absurdity that I love in this episode. When SpongeBob is talking through the sock, the hand motions make me laugh so hard LMAO. And the whole scene with the “eel” chasing the members of the Lodge is so, so great. I like that the plan works and Squidward is reinstated…but I like even more that in the end SpongeBob and Patrick get him kicked out once more, and I love how the episode ends with the return of the jellyfish initiation. Just a really funny ending to this good episode.

I know the biggest critique of this episode is that it counts as a “Squidward torture ::dolphin noise::”. I already explained why I think that term is BS back in my “Boating Buddies” review, I believe. So I won’t reiterate that here. Instead, I’ll just say that I don’t think this episode qualifies as anything near that, by the term’s own standards. First off, I don’t think this episode is very torturous for Squidward, it’s more like he doesn’t get what he want, not goes through bodily and emotional torment (other than the jellyfish and his crying sesh). And then second off, even if we do want to call this “Sqiudward torture”, which I don’t, it’s funny, so like…what’s the problem? It’s meant to be funny, and to me it is funny, so no problems here.

It’s wild to me that certain reviewers had such strong, negative opinions about this episode, because there’s really not much for me to dislike here at all. I guess it all depends on your perspective of what happened to Squidward here. I thought it was hilarious, and I don’t really factor in “deserving” here at all, especially because the Lodge looks like a cult anyway LMAO, so maybe SpongeBob and Patrick did Squidward a favor by getting him out of here. I just really like this episode. It’s super entertaining and really funny, and it’s even got some wholesome moments in there with SpongeBob and Patrick being earnest about wanting to get Squidward back into the Lodge so he’ll be happy. Patrick plays a minor role in things, all things considered, but he does provide some good humor throughout the episode, so he doesn’t feel wholly unnecessary.

Episode Score: 9.1/10
@PinkPugPrincess also adores this episode

the puppet scene is funny lol, and i dont find any of the bob and pat's actions annoying

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast

Episode Score: 9.1/10
I honestly didnt really enjoy this episode sorry @PinkPugPrincess but i mainly hate Squidward torture and the only funny part here was the giant sock scene

SpongebobMaster

Dollarbob enjoyer
It was all awful but the sock scene is the best scene so it saves it from being a 0/10
1. Suction Cup Symphony (10/10)
2. Grandpappy The Pirate (10/10)
3. Krabby Road (9.5/10)
4. Not Normal (9.5/10)
5. Ditchin' (9.5/10)
6. Krabby Kronicle (9/10)
7. House Fancy (9/10)
8. Patty Caper (9/10)
9. Life In A Day (8.5/10)
10. Spongebob Squarepants Vs The Big One (8.5/10)
11. The Slumber Party (8.5/10)
12. Krusty Krushers (8.5/10)
13. No Nose Knows (8.5/10)
14. Spongicus (7.5/10)
15. Giant Squidward (7.5/10)
16. Gone (7/10)
17. Grooming Gary
18. Penny Foolish (6.5/10)
19. Porous Pockets (5.5/10)
20. Sun Bleached (5.5/10)
21. Nautical Novice (4.5/10)
22. Plankton's Regular (1.5/10)