112b. Choir Boys

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
I like Aaron Springer but what drugs was he on during season 6, I mean the guy is extremely talented, and his season 1-5 episodes were all solid. I blame the execs for stretching him too thin by having to board all of these episodes solely, impressive feat, despite the episode quality.

This is truly a horrible episode. SpongeBob's character is just destroyed, the jokes are beyond repetitive and this whole thing is just obnoxious. There is no wit to these jokes. You know everything will go bad for Squidward and SpongeBob is a god who does everything right. Slightly more pleasant to watch than Boating Buddies but still one of the worst episodes of the series, and one I hope I'll never watch again.

1/10

SpongeBronyPH

Giant Clam
Episode: Choir Boys (S6-E112-B)

I HATE THIS ONE!!! SpongeBob was flanderized here. (the worst one was A Pal for Gary) WHY CAN'T THE ::dolphin noise::ING CUBIC CREEPER WON'T LEAVE SQUIDWARD ALONE AND END HIM UP IN A BAD ::dolphin noise::ING DAY?! :facepalm: SpongeBob's choir singing is intense to me, but too bad its in this atrocious crappy episode. The ending is Squidward being SpongeBob's assistant. It's fine but it's just awkward for the Squidward fans. Seriously SpongeBob, if Patrick is gone, just do karate with Sandy or something, NOT STALK AT SQUIDWARD, YOU ::dolphin noise:: SCUMBOB!!!

Final Score = 1/10 :patboo:

kingseye423

Flying Dutchman's Sock
This episode... Good Golly, Miss Molly! (Catch that song reference) SpongeBob once again messes up something for Squidward and redeems him even more. I felt bad for Squidward for every reason- his, um, singing, and SpongeBob's torture. Oh and that freakin' throat clearing scene... I would've liked SpongeBob's performance had the episode revolved around him instead, or he let Squidward do a duet, and not make that weird **dolphin noise** face. I just don't like it. 1.9/10

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
A horrible, horrible episode that ruins SpongeBob's character, and makes me get more and more infuriated as the episode drags on. This episode is full of disgusting images and bits of animation, but that pales in comparison to all of its other problems. Torturing Squidward is not funny, especially when done like this. I don't even know what SpongeBob was in this episode, because this just did not feel like him, just a shell. Crushing Squidward's dreams is not interesting, especially with the outright offensive ending this episode have, with its giving us hope that Squidward was actually going to get something for once. 3.9/10

Actually liked this episode in some parts, the gags didn't bother me that much but I will admit SpongeBob's character is shown at worst here. It feels very out of place and really stick out like a sore thumb of the hand called Season 6.

I hate this episode. I hate it with all my soul. Not only is SpongeBob's character flanderized beyond belief, but he is incredibly annoying, the gags are atrocious, there's virtually no substance, and it's not funny in the slightest. And "What a lucky break! Now I have a captive audience!" is my least favorite quote in the whole show. Absolutely nothing redeems this episode. I think I might hate it more than Pieguyrulz does.

Ranking so far:
1. Patty Caper (A+)
2. Krabby Road (A)
3. Not Normal (A)
4. Suction Cup Symphony (A)
5. The Slumber Party (B)
6. A Life in a Day (B)
7. Gone (B)
8. No Nose Knows (B)
9. Slide Whistle Stooges (B)
10. House Fancy (C)
11. Giant Squidward (C)
12. Spongicus (C)
13. Plankton's Regular (C)
14. Nautical Novice (C)
15. SpongeBob SquarePants vs. The Big One (C)
16. Porous Pockets (C)
17. Penny Foolish (D)
18. Grooming Gary (D)
19. The Krabby Kronicle (D)
20. Sun Bleached (D)
21. The Splinter (F)
22. Boating Buddies (F)
23. Choir Boys (F-)

CheeseCrocker

Bomb-Selling Pirate
This episode just kind of... exists. Squidward torment isn't too harsh, he's only hurt about twice in this episode and he does deserve it, since he pretty much mocked SpongeBob. I just found this episode to be boring. I do like that part where SpongeBob becomes a singing cop, that was really funny, and the throat-clearing gang was kind of funny too. But all in all, this episode is just forgettable.

Mediocre Episode (4.5/10)

The Tough Sponge Man

Floating Shopping List
This episode just kind of... exists.

Mediocre Episode (4.5/10)

That's actually kind of similar to my thoughts on the episode. It's not the most torment Squidward gets, and it's not the worst, but I didn't like a lot of the jokes.
EDIT: After re-watching the episode, I've spotted jokes beyond the throat clearing ones, and some of them are pretty funny, at least to me.
P.S. I would think this quote works better for ruining Spongebob's character. "Squidward, could you keep it down please? I'm trying to find my starting pitch here." (For Context, he was screaming in pain earlier). Not that I think it does, since Squidward was kind of a jerk in the episode, it's just something I'd point out.

Rating: 5 men at the choir out of ten

Last edited:

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
I pretty much have the same issues with this episode that I do with Boating Buddies, except this somehow has even less substance. This is yet another tactless and mindless episodes with horribly drawn out gags and pointless interactions. I seriously question why this had to be made. What does it add to the show? It's just a waste of a timeslot in so many aspects.

Awful episode (2/10)

1. Not Normal (8)
2. The Slumber Party (7)
3. Krabby Road (7)
4. Porous Pockets (6)
5. House Fancy (6)
6. Patty Caper (6)
7. A Life in a Day (6)
8. Spongicus (5)
9. Spongebob Squarepants vs. The Big One (5)
10. Nautical Novice (5)
11. Plankton's Regular (5)
12. No Nose Knows (5)
13. Suction Cup Symphony (5)
14. Grooming Gary (4)
15. The Krabby Kronicle (4)
16. Sun Bleached (4)
17. Penny Foolish (4)
18. Gone (4)
19. Slide Whistle Stooges (3)
20. Giant Squidward (3)
21. The Splinter (3)
22. Boating Buddies (2)
23. Choir Boys (2)

Pstar

A helicopter (formerly an idiot)
I fell asleep during this episode (literally)

2.5/10

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
Oh god this one is absolutely horrendous. I liked nothing about it. The gags are stupid and the idea is really dumb and the work of an idiot.

Rating: Terrible Episode

Rankings:
Suction Cup Symphony (Perfect)
Krabby Road (Amazing)
Boating Buddies (Great)
A Life in a Day (Great)
Grooming Gary (Great)
Nautical Novice (Great)
No Nose Knows (Good)
Slide Whistle Stooges (Good)
Not Normal (Good)
Porous Pockets (Good)
Gone (Good)
Spongicus (Good)
Giant Squidward (Okay)
SBSP Vs. The Big One (Alright)
Penny Foolish (Meh)
Plankton's Regular (Mediocre)
Patty Caper (Bad)
The Slumber Party (Bad)
House Fancy (Bad)
Sun Bleached (Bad)
Choir Boys (Terrible)
The Krabby Kronicle (Terrible)
The Splinter (THE ULTRA MEGA SCUM OF THE EARTH!)

Graperpetual Pretzel

Choir Boys bad Something Smells good
I didn't even know it was possible to make an episode so absolutely horrible ngl

0/10

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
My oh my, what do we have here? Today’s first episode is “Choir Boys”, AKA one of the most notorious episodes in the entire show. What’s interesting about this episode’s notoriety is that I feel like it’s infamous from an insider standpoint. I don’t think more “casual” watchers of the show really know about this episode, because I hardly ever see it talked about ever. At least we start off with a beautiful background, can’t go wrong with a gorgeous shot!

My biggest problem with the episode is easily all of the annoying singing we’re subjected to, from both Squidward and SpongeBob (until the very end of the episode). Like why why why is this episode so full of annoying singing? I don’t want to hear that. I feel like annoying sounds are always so inescapable, unless I mute the volume lmao. It just makes the episode unpleasant to watch, or listen to I suppose, which is a huge turn-off.

Moving beyond my big issue with this episode, I guess I’ll just do my typical chronological run-through. I like Squidward’s little outfit in this episode, it’s cute and something different from what we see him typically wear, so that’s nice. Once Squidward leaves the house, we get a nice heaping helping of nothing funny happening, unfortunately. In fact, this entire scene is built around SpongeBob being forlorn and blank and even depressed, so you can imagine how dull the scene is. Not to mention it uses that SpongeBob design I already said I hated in my “Boating Buddies” review, so that’s another negative for sure. And then we get treated to a very irritating coughing sound…man this episode is really just racking up negative points, almost like it wants to be the lowest-ranked episode thus far! Well if that’s the case, I have bad news for this episode because so far it’s nowhere near as frustrating and infuriating as "The Thing", so it’s got a long way to go before it can be that bad. But it’s possible. Let's just see how the rest of this episode plays out.

I actually huff out a bit of a laugh with the pothole part, so hey that’s something for this episode. And honestly the whole bit with the jellyfish and Squidward was kinda funny, except for the annoying singing by SpongeBob. And then we get some unpleasant visuals with Squidward being covered in sting marks, so that’s fun. As you can see I’m not having a very good time. And this bad time is only continued once SpongeBob stops Squidward once more, this time acting like a policeman. Let’s see…more bad singing? Check. More boringness? Check. A general feeling of my time being wasted? Check. Sigh.

At least after that scene, we finally finally finally get to see some good singing from SpongeBob, which makes things actually somewhat interesting. Crazy how that happens. And the way he attracts jellyfish to him through his singing makes me think of “SpongeHenge”. Make of that what you will. We cut back to Squidward, and you guys will never believe what happens. More unpleasant singing and coughing noises!!! Isn’t that just so unexpected??? I’m really just reaching the end of my rope with this auditory torture because first off, this means that the same joke is being used for the entire episode, and second off, that joke isn’t even funny and is actively unpleasant. So yeah, that’s why this is the main issue of this episode, because all the funny cards are put into this joke’s basket, and it completely fails, and we have hardly any other good jokes to fall back on for humor. Thankfully, SpongeBob eventually comes in and saves our ears.

The other main problem with this episode is that it doesn’t feel complete at all, in fact it just feels so...empty. Almost like this episode is a short (which it absolutely should've been if this was gonna be the plot). And I’m sure this is definitely connected to all of the wasted time we get with the throat clearing and the bad singing and the very unnecessarily long scenes. Like even though we see SpongeBob say that he wants to show that he can be in the men’s choir, we never actually get the feeling that he cares even a little bit? And so seeing everyone cheer for him does not feel all that satisfying and more like a thing that is happening. The end of the episode was nice enough, it was very wholesome of SpongeBob to request a place for Squidward, and this is almost nearly humorously shown in the ending, with Squidward becoming a page-turner.

Ugh. That really just says it all about “Choir Boys”. Ugh. Just so annoying and so much wasted time. And I think the episode concept could’ve gone somewhere, but everything beyond the concept needs to be scrapped for that to work, because the material we’ve got is not it. I’m honestly struggling to figure out where to put this episode. Because I don’t like it, oh most definitely not, but I feel like it’s not a dislike in the same way that I dislike “The Thing”, you know? But I think it deserves to go in the same tier as that episode at most, because this episode really just shows what you should not be doing when crafting an episode. You should not fill it with a bunch of annoying noises that fill up all your time. And I would think that’s common sense lol.

I know people call this episode “Squidward Torture”, but as you can see that’s not what I found to be the problem here. Honestly even by “Squidward Torture” standards, this is pretty tame, and I don’t even believe in those standards, as I’ve explained before. I don’t feel good or bad for Squidward here, I don’t feel anything at all for him. Because this episode completely fails to engage me, other than making me irritated with the noises. And that is why this episode is going to unseat “The Thing” as my lowest ranked episode so far. That episode had a good first few minutes. This episode doesn’t have even that.

In fact, this episode has so few redeeming qualities mixed with so much unpleasantness that it has what I like to call the "ew factor". That means that this episode is going to be the first of its kind…the first “Abysmal”-tier episode. And here I thought we’d be able to make it to season 7 before this tier came into play. But I just can’t do it…this episode is really, really bad. I wanted it to be good, to bring some positivity to it because I know it’s so very hated, but I just couldn’t do it.

Episode Tier: Abysmal
Episode Score:
2.8/10

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
My oh my, what do we have here? Today’s first episode is “Choir Boys”, AKA one of the most notorious episodes in the entire show. What’s interesting about this episode’s notoriety is that I feel like it’s infamous from an insider standpoint. I don’t think more “casual” watchers of the show really know about this episode, because I hardly ever see it talked about ever. At least we start off with a beautiful background, can’t go wrong with a gorgeous shot!

My biggest problem with the episode is easily all of the annoying singing we’re subjected to, from both Squidward and SpongeBob (until the very end of the episode). Like why why why is this episode so full of annoying singing? I don’t want to hear that. I feel like annoying sounds are always so inescapable, unless I mute the volume lmao. It just makes the episode unpleasant to watch, or listen to I suppose, which is a huge turn-off.

Moving beyond my big issue with this episode, I guess I’ll just do my typical chronological run-through. I like Squidward’s little outfit in this episode, it’s cute and something different from what we see him typically wear, so that’s nice. Once Squidward leaves the house, we get a nice heaping helping of nothing funny happening, unfortunately. In fact, this entire scene is built around SpongeBob being forlorn and blank and even depressed, so you can imagine how dull the scene is. Not to mention it uses that SpongeBob design I already said I hated in my “Boating Buddies” review, so that’s another negative for sure. And then we get treated to a very irritating coughing sound…man this episode is really just racking up negative points, almost like it wants to be the lowest-ranked episode thus far! Well if that’s the case, I have bad news for this episode because so far it’s nowhere near as frustrating and infuriating as "The Thing", so it’s got a long way to go before it can be that bad. But it’s possible. Let's just see how the rest of this episode plays out.

I actually huff out a bit of a laugh with the pothole part, so hey that’s something for this episode. And honestly the whole bit with the jellyfish and Squidward was kinda funny, except for the annoying singing by SpongeBob. And then we get some unpleasant visuals with Squidward being covered in sting marks, so that’s fun. As you can see I’m not having a very good time. And this bad time is only continued once SpongeBob stops Squidward once more, this time acting like a policeman. Let’s see…more bad singing? Check. More boringness? Check. A general feeling of my time being wasted? Check. Sigh.

At least after that scene, we finally finally finally get to see some good singing from SpongeBob, which makes things actually somewhat interesting. Crazy how that happens. And the way he attracts jellyfish to him through his singing makes me think of “SpongeHenge”. Make of that what you will. We cut back to Squidward, and you guys will never believe what happens. More unpleasant singing and coughing noises!!! Isn’t that just so unexpected??? I’m really just reaching the end of my rope with this auditory torture because first off, this means that the same joke is being used for the entire episode, and second off, that joke isn’t even funny and is actively unpleasant. So yeah, that’s why this is the main issue of this episode, because all the funny cards are put into this joke’s basket, and it completely fails, and we have hardly any other good jokes to fall back on for humor. Thankfully, SpongeBob eventually comes in and saves our ears.

The other main problem with this episode is that it doesn’t feel complete at all, in fact it just feels so...empty. Almost like this episode is a short (which it absolutely should've been if this was gonna be the plot). And I’m sure this is definitely connected to all of the wasted time we get with the throat clearing and the bad singing and the very unnecessarily long scenes. Like even though we see SpongeBob say that he wants to show that he can be in the men’s choir, we never actually get the feeling that he cares even a little bit? And so seeing everyone cheer for him does not feel all that satisfying and more like a thing that is happening. The end of the episode was nice enough, it was very wholesome of SpongeBob to request a place for Squidward, and this is almost nearly humorously shown in the ending, with Squidward becoming a page-turner.

Ugh. That really just says it all about “Choir Boys”. Ugh. Just so annoying and so much wasted time. And I think the episode concept could’ve gone somewhere, but everything beyond the concept needs to be scrapped for that to work, because the material we’ve got is not it. I’m honestly struggling to figure out where to put this episode. Because I don’t like it, oh most definitely not, but I feel like it’s not a dislike in the same way that I dislike “The Thing”, you know? But I think it deserves to go in the same tier as that episode at most, because this episode really just shows what you should not be doing when crafting an episode. You should not fill it with a bunch of annoying noises that fill up all your time. And I would think that’s common sense lol.

I know people call this episode “Squidward Torture”, but as you can see that’s not what I found to be the problem here. Honestly even by “Squidward Torture” standards, this is pretty tame, and I don’t even believe in those standards, as I’ve explained before. I don’t feel good or bad for Squidward here, I don’t feel anything at all for him. Because this episode completely fails to engage me, other than making me irritated with the noises. And that is why this episode is going to unseat “The Thing” as my lowest ranked episode so far. That episode had a good first few minutes. This episode doesn’t have even that.

In fact, this episode has so few redeeming qualities mixed with so much unpleasantness that it has what I like to call the "ew factor". That means that this episode is going to be the first of its kind…the first “Abysmal”-tier episode. And here I thought we’d be able to make it to season 7 before this tier came into play. But I just can’t do it…this episode is really, really bad. I wanted it to be good, to bring some positivity to it because I know it’s so very hated, but I just couldn’t do it.

Episode Score: 2.8/10
I actually kinda figured your review of this one would be negative

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
tbh this episode deserved less :sbhide:
That is very fair. I thought about scoring it lower but I mean getting to the "Abysmal" tier is already extremely difficult, and I think the badness of this episode was driven by more "outside" factors (the sound mainly), and not "internal" factors like character behavior or plot or anything like that. For some reason outside factors are easier for me to forgive in a way, not sure exactly why. And there were also some good bits here and there, so I did want to reflect those too.

Heyo_Heyo

Moby Dollar

Episode Score: 2.8/10
OMG I was waiting for you to review this episode now let’s see what you think of Pets Or Pests (this and Choir Boys are the lowest rated season 6 episodes Lol and they both suck and have similar problems throat clearing gag and doorbell gag)

Back