112a. Porous Pockets

Zee

Flying Dutchman's Sock
Didn't like this episode too much. Spongebob wouldn't act like that, even if he was rich.

SquiddlyPie

random gal
This episode was really decent! There was a moral story in this episode! I liked how the compared that with a really funny episode but it got boring at times , the ending was good too, good quotes too! 8/10 :)

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
I like Patrick's characterization but there's not much to it other than that. The story is terrible with a lot of filler (Rule of Dumb did this way better) and the comedy is absent. It's a masterwork compared to the next episode though...

5/10

kingseye423

Flying Dutchman's Sock
Despite that true message, the rest of the episode doesn't go anywhere. I did feel bad for Patrick in this, the end was kinda rushed, I guess.

7/10

SpongeBob would have a one-two punch of leaving a person out in this episode pairing, but the next one is worse. Much, much more worse.

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Mediocre, mediocre, mediocre.
That's really all I can say for this episode. It takes too long to set up the whole SpongeBob being rich thing, so the actual story is lost. The comedy is somewhat there, with one or two funny jokes, and Patrick is actually okay in this episode. While SpongeBob is annoying, the writers want him to be, so nothing lost there. I will say that the design in this episode isn't very good though, and that's one of the many things that turn me off about it. A solid 5/10 from me.

Eh. I feel like this episode could have been better. The plot is good, but the execution is lackluster. There weren't that many jokes, and the jokes it did have weren't that funny. But this episode does have a few things going for it. I was originally going to give this a "D", but is enough things going for it to where I can give it a "C". Albeit a very low "C", but it's better.

Ranking so far:
1. Patty Caper (A+)
2. Krabby Road (A)
3. Not Normal (A)
4. Suction Cup Symphony (A)
5. The Slumber Party (B)
6. A Life in a Day (B)
7. Gone (B)
8. No Nose Knows (B)
9. Slide Whistle Stooges (B)
10. House Fancy (C)
11. Giant Squidward (C)
12. Spongicus (C)
13. Plankton's Regular (C)
14. Nautical Novice (C)
15. SpongeBob SquarePants vs. The Big One (C)
16. Porous Pockets (C)
17. Penny Foolish (D)
18. Grooming Gary (D)
19. The Krabby Kronicle (D)
20. Sun Bleached (D)
21. The Splinter (F)
22. Boating Buddies (F)

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
Honestly, I kinda liked this episode. The jokes are varied and well-timed, and I actually like the plot quite a bit. The episode has some pretty serious pacing issues; there's literally only 3 minutes left in the episode by the time Spongebob is established as this big rich snob character, and it happens out of nowhere too. I feel like this episode would work better as a special. I consider this to be something of a hidden gem in this season, for whatever that's worth.

Average episode (6/10)

1. Not Normal (8)
2. The Slumber Party (7)
3. Krabby Road (7)
4. Porous Pockets (6)
5. House Fancy (6)
6. Patty Caper (6)
7. A Life in a Day (6)
8. Spongicus (5)
9. Spongebob Squarepants vs. The Big One (5)
10. Nautical Novice (5)
11. Plankton's Regular (5)
12. No Nose Knows (5)
13. Suction Cup Symphony (5)
14. Grooming Gary (4)
15. The Krabby Kronicle (4)
16. Sun Bleached (4)
17. Penny Foolish (4)
18. Gone (4)
19. Slide Whistle Stooges (3)
20. Giant Squidward (3)
21. The Splinter (3)
22. Boating Buddies (2)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
A pretty funny eppy that i enjoyed watching.

Good Episode

Rankings:
Suction Cup Symphony (Perfect)
Krabby Road (Amazing)
Boating Buddies (Great)
A Life in a Day (Great)
Grooming Gary (Great)
Nautical Novice (Great)
No Nose Knows (Good)
Slide Whistle Stooges (Good)
Not Normal (Good)
Porous Pockets (Good)
Gone (Good)
Spongicus (Good)
Giant Squidward (Okay)
SBSP Vs. The Big One (Alright)
Penny Foolish (Meh)
Plankton's Regular (Mediocre)
Patty Caper (Bad)
The Slumber Party (Bad)
House Fancy (Bad)
Sun Bleached (Bad)
The Krabby Kronicle (Terrible)
The Splinter (THE ULTRA MEGA SCUM OF THE EARTH!)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
It’s hard for me to call episodes forgettable when I have a good memory for SpongeBob episodes, so when I say that “Porous Pockets” is forgettable, I mean that I remember it, but I feel like it’s unremarkable. The main reason why this episode is unremarkable is that it isn’t funny, and not many interesting things happen.

Like take this beginning scene for example, the first bit with SpongeBob walking is just kinda boring, and even when the screeching comes in I’m just kinda meh, until it’s revealed to be Patrick (but not really, because he’s just mimicking) which was a little funny. The bit with the very unhealthy-looking clam is…fine. All the coughing sounds are just kinda in the background which like…I didn’t really need to hear all that haha. The bit with the "slimelich maneuver" was actually pretty funny though, I’ll give it that. But in general this scene just feels lacking, which is probably a critique I could apply to this entire episode.

As the episode progresses, I just feel like time is being wasted, because this entire scene at the volleyball courts feels unnecessary. Like why couldn’t SpongeBob just realize it was a pearl right away and save us all some time? This set up feels unnecessary because all we needed was SpongeBob somehow selling the pearl. That’s it. That could’ve happened while they were still in Jellyfish Fields. We didn’t need to see SpongeBob in his underwear on a volleyball court with a severe lack of humor.

Once we reach around the 5-minute mark of the episode, I realize what the biggest problem of this episode is: the plot. The plot just isn’t…good. Because SpongeBob is not a character that has ever cared about money or buying things. And I get that the point of the plot is to show SpongeBob falling into this mindset, but like that’s kind of antithetical to his entire character and so it just feels wrong. And again, the episode knows this, I think, which is why soon enough they make SpongeBob act like a pompous jerk, but that really doesn’t mean that I like the plot any better. The episode simply knowing that it’s doing something so fundamentally different and weird does not make it good. It has to do something with this knowledge, make the episode actually palatable. Now that I’m thinking about it, this episode is like how “Patty Hype” could’ve gone wrong, in a way. That episode had a different main topic, but it did have a moment of SpongeBob having a ton of money. And you know what he did with it? He gave it away! He didn’t buy a bunch of stuff, or start to become snobbish, he just got rid of it. That’s how you make a plot like this palatable and in-character. And “Porous Pockets”…it actually does start out by doing this (kind of, after having SpongeBob do all the buying I already critiqued). But then it eventually fails.

And it fails because it lacks humor and it’s completely out of character. The montage of SpongeBob and Patrick buying things at the mall is visually interesting at best and so boring at the worst. The part with SpongeBob and ice cream is fine but it feels more like it’s moving the story along rather than being entertaining. And then SpongeBob leaving Patrick in the dust is so woefully out of character…it’s like the problem I’ve been having with Patrick as of late. I really don’t understand what the appeal is in having these two be terrible friends to each other. It’s not good. Also, it’s very abrupt here, which just makes the change entirely too jarring and therefore not even an attempted justification is made for SpongeBob’s behavior, so things continue to be unpleasant.

And then of course the episode ends with SpongeBob having lost all of his money through his generous (but also not generous…idk it’s such a weird thing they did here with SpongeBob giving money away while also just being a jerkwad) ways, which makes it clear what the message of this episode is supposed to be (you can’t buy friendship). And it’s like…the lesson almost feels unearned because of how boring and pointless this entire episode has felt. At least the very end of the episode is wholesome, and I like that we see SpongeBob apologize at least.

I don’t think there’s any more I can say about “Porous Pockets” that I haven’t already made explicitly clear. It’s boring, it’s out of character, and it’s unremarkable. A perfect fit for my “Mediocre” tier.

Episode Tier: Mediocre
Episode Score:
5.2/10

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
And then of course the episode ends with SpongeBob having lost all of his money through his generous (but also not generous…idk it’s such a weird thing they did here with SpongeBob giving money away while also just being a jerkwad) ways, which makes it clear what the message of this episode is supposed to be (you can’t buy friendship). And it’s like…the lesson almost feels unearned because of how boring and pointless this entire episode has felt. At least the very end of the episode is wholesome, and I like that we see SpongeBob apologize at least.
patrick acts like his season 1 self in the ending scene

i think that's one of the scenes that i would watch the episode for

SpongebobMaster

The Guy Who Reviews UHHHHH
Actually better than i renember
5.5/10
1. Suction Cup Symphony (10/10)
2. Krabby Road (9.5/10)
3. Not Normal (9.5/10)
4. Krabby Kronicle (9/10)
5. House Fancy (9/10)
6. Patty Caper (9/10)
7. Life In A Day (8.5/10)
8. Spongebob Squarepants Vs The Big One (8.5/10)
9. The Slumber Party (8.5/10)
10. No Nose Knows (8.5/10)
11. Spongicus (7.5/10)
12. Giant Squidward (7.5/10)
13. Gone (7/10)
14. Grooming Gary
15. Penny Foolish (6.5/10)
16. Porous Pockets (5.5/10)
17. Sun Bleached (5.5/10)
18. Nautical Novice (4.5/10)
19. Plankton's Regular (1.5/10)
20. Slide Whistle Stooges (1.5/10)