111. SpongeBob SquarePants vs. The Big One

Mantis

killer queen best stand
Man I hate this special. It had a lot of build-up, and what do we get? A pile of crap the writers call an episode. F you new writers of Spongebob.

Entriol

Bomb-Selling Pirate
When this episode originally aired, I remember really enjoying it. However, going back tonight and re-watching it, well, I didn't think it was bad, but it was mainly an alright episode. Here are the main things I had wrong with it:
  • Worst ending in Spongebob history
Not joking about that. I've seen about 98% of the episodes, and this is honestly the absolute worst ending I've EVER seen. Yes, even more so than Stuck In The Wringer and It Came From Goo Lagoon. It's very distracting, and sadly takes away a lot of my enjoyment from the episode as a whole.

• Pointless Sandy subplot that goes absolutely nowhere
Yeah... remind me again what the point of this was? All it does is show us that Sandy can build things out of the natural resources around her, which we've already established a really long time ago. That's literally all she contributes to the story. Oh yeah, and what was up with that fish being in that tower she built when she was about to leave the island when no one else had previously been there? Was it for humor? If so, then that was a really bad mistake on the writers' behalf. Please, please, PLEASE don't throw away logic in an episode just to make a joke, especially for one that wasn't even that good.

• Bad pacing
Even if you love this episode, you have to admit, this episode's pacing is terrible. In order to fix this, they should've just cut out the two other subplots. They were pretty pointless anyways.

• JKL actually never teaches them how to surf
Ok, so other than the ending, this is another thing that really angered me on my second viewing. Surfing is a talent you need to attempt at and practice. It takes a lot of time and effort, and according to the others' description of the wave, it should have probably taken years for them to master. It's not something you can learn in a few days, and it's definitely not something you can learn from doing nothing but staring into fires all night and watching someone play the bongos. I don't think this would have bothered me as much if JKL wasn't legitimately trying to help the others' get home, and if Spongebob hadn't surfed so perfectly in the end, despite having learned nothing.

Other than all that though, this episode was actually pretty decent. But god, that ending. Ugh. However, there was more good than bad, so I'll give this episode a final ranking of 5.5/10.

Supmandude

Squog
First post-movie special that isn't completely boring. 9.5/10 (Would have been a full 10 if they hadn't copped out of the sacrifice at the last second.)

• Bad pacing
Even if you love this episode, you have to admit, this episode's pacing is terrible. In order to fix this, they should've just cut out the two other subplots. They were pretty pointless anyways.

I don't have to admit that because I disagree. I thought the pacing was pretty good and a lot better than episodes like Where's Gary and Atlantis Squarepantis that somehow feel too long and too rushed at the same time. I think a big part of the reason it worked for me was they didn't forget to add jokes this time.

BeanoSponge

Pokemon Sun and Moon HYPE!
This is one of my favourite specials, I have it on DVD in a 2 pack with the Spongebob movie.

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
Season: 6

Episode: Spongebob SquarePants vs. The Big One

This episode was very decent. The plot was kinda decent. This episode had many plot points. There were few funny jokes. 6.5/10

Ol Bold and Brash

Hu Tao stan
I dont understand why so many people hate this special don't think it was terrible I like JKL I like the humor in this episode and I like how they where learning how to surf

Grade:9/10

Best Character: All of Them Especially JKL

Best Line: Just Keep Breathing

SquiddlyPie

random gal
Definitely one of the best s6 episodes for me!! There were some funny quotes and moments (ex Flying Dutchman's Shopping List, SB face, Squidward underestimating Kahuna's powers..etc) and the ending was good and enjoyable...the beggining was also funny (seeing how cheap can Mr.Krabs be) and something I'd want to see on an SB episode (I mean, they never mention cold or heat, and in there they mentioned heat, something that always happening on summer, found that good and realistic) .Overall, I give it a fair rating of 10/10

The Real Nostalgia Critic

toby j rathjen is a monkey
I saw the commercial a lot of times. I better not be disappointed (like I was with dunces and dragons and have you seen this snail?). It had better be good. The plot sounds pretty good. I hear spongebob and his friends get stranded on some strange island, and they learn that the only way back is to surf there. But, spongebob and his friends dont know how to surf, and some guy called "the big one" (one of my favorite actors johnny depp is guest staring!). But one of them will not return. Who will it be, or will everyone make it back there? Find out on april 17th at 8/7 central. It had better be good.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Pretty decent special. There is actually some great tension and atmosphere in this episode and some of the jokes are funny. But while it isn't the most dull special, a lot of this goes nowhere, but I mostly enjoyed this tbh.

7/10

kingseye423

Flying Dutchman's Sock
Well, it's meh. Breaking it down from my perspective below:

Bad: Sandy and Mr. Krabs having their own plots, not related to SpongeBob, Patrick and Squidward's situation.... I smell filler.

Good: The late Davy Jones. It was a random moment but it totally worked, as it boosted the episode up. Johnny Depp's guest appearance was okay for the most part. The songs were a bit off, but "Beeline for a Treeline" was quite nice. Plus, seeing Squidward not getting tortured by SpongeBob and Patrick was good.

6.8/10

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
One of the better SpongeBob specials from this time period.
It's definitely unique with its whole island vibe, and I thought the jokes in this episode were actually pretty funny. It's a real adventure, like it advertised itself to be, and is overall a harmless episode with a good story. 7.2/10

Back