109b. The Krabby Kronicle

Baloo

I GAVE YOU A JOB!
This is another episode I just find okay. I will admit that some of the headlines are funny (Mainly the Larry one), and it reminds me a lot of "Jellyfish Hunter", an episode I really like. However, what brings it down for me is Mr. Krabs. Unlike in "Jellyfish Hunter", where although he is a jerk, he still manages to be funny :moar: and not overly irritating, here he is the exact opposite, and not only that, but he gets away with it in the end. The townspeople taking his money wasnt a satisfying enough ending to make up for what he did and him counterfeiting money. However, while he was annoying, there were some good parts to keep it from being bad, and while it is mostly meh, due to the good parts and Mr. Krabs canceling each other out. If you want to watch an episode that is very similar to this episode without the episode's antagonist getting annoying, I'd highly recommend the Hey Arnold! episode "The Big Scoop".

5.5/10

SquiddlyPie

random gal
It wasn't that bad..I liked it, the ending was the most enjoyable, Mr.Krabs deserved the hate but again, how lucky he is, he found another way to invest money :P !!! Patrick marries a road sign...hilarious xP !!!!!! However, there were some parts on this episode that kind of disturbed me , like SpongeBob being so depressed, he's really sensitive!!!! But anyways, wasn't that bad as ''Plankton's Regular'' and I will give it an 8/10

SperngeyBerb

Banished
This is my 39th least favorite episode.

And it's written by the unholy two, Casey Alexander and Zeus Cervas.

BobCarotte

meep
Good episode but the ending ruined it...well, a little. The headlines were hilarious, especially "Larry the loser gets beaten up by pipsqueak" and "Local resident watches pole" :rofl:

I give it a 7.5/10.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
i like the idea, but I don"t really like the execution. Patrick and the pole is kinda funny though... (Out of context that sounds so wrong)

5.5/10

kingseye423

Flying Dutchman's Sock
This episode isn't that memorable, and Mr. Krabs drove SpongeBob to exhaustion (and this is after that sordid sister episode and once again I feel bad for SpongeBob- The writers are playing with our emotions!) The lies Krabs told SpongeBob to do wasn't that great anyway, but he got what he deserved- well, briefly anyway. 5.8/10

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
An actually good Krusty Krab episode in season 6? A miracle! This is a really solid episode, with funny moments, a good plot, and Mr. Krabs getting his comeuppance in the end. Also, I love episodes where SpongeBob turns against Mr. Krabs, so the episode sold me there. 8/10.

I wasn't a fan of this one. The plot, while not bad, isn't the best, and the execution was lackluster. The jokes are hit-or-miss, and Mr. Krabs gets "punished" for his actions. I wouldn't even call it a punishment really.

Ranking so far:
1. Patty Caper (A+)
2. Krabby Road (A)
3. Not Normal (A)
4. Suction Cup Symphony (A)
5. A Life in a Day (B)
6. Gone (B)
7. No Nose Knows (B)
8. Slide Whistle Stooges (B)
9. House Fancy (C)
10. Giant Squidward (C)
11. Spongicus (C)
12. Plankton's Regular (C)
13. Nautical Novice (C)
14. Penny Foolish (D)
15. The Krabby Kronicle (D)
16. Sun Bleached (D)
17. The Splinter (F)
18. Boating Buddies (F)

Ceruleancast

Baby Clam
I never had strong opinions against the episode, nor too much for. When I first watched it it was around the start of season 6 itself I believe so I had already been used to the decline in quality from previous seasons in my opinion. I thought it was average or maybe above some others from there overall, I did like the idea of the plot though but the ending didn't feel satisfying aside from maybe seeing Mr. Krabs think of the idea for fake money for once though it wasn't executed well.
However, I found one gag to be pretty great, and still do.
DpRF0b_X4AAWhIB.jpg

It's a large reason it stood out from the others for me aside from the concept.

CheeseCrocker

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Decent episode. I enjoyed all the different ways people's lives were ruined even if this episode wasn't too hilarious. The ending was pretty damn funny, how Mr. Krabs learns how to counterfeit. Not amazing or anything, but it kept my interesting.

Good Episode (7/10)

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
Bleh. The plot is pretty predictable and boring, and it's just sooo repetitive. Spongebob writes a negative headline about a random town member, their lives are ruined, Spongebob goes to talk to Mr. Krabs about it, and then he ignores him or threatens to fire him. Speaking of, Mr. Krabs is pretty horrible in this episode, and he even wins in the end just to rub salt in the wound. There are funny moments on occasion, like Patrick and his pole, but that's not enough to save this episode. It's a shame, this episode concept had so much potential, but they just had to go and ruin it.

Bad episode (4/10)

1. Not Normal (8)
2. Krabby Road (7)
3. House Fancy (6)
4. Patty Caper (6)
5. A Life in a Day (6)
6. Spongicus (5)
7. Nautical Novice (5)
8. Plankton's Regular (5)
9. No Nose Knows (5)
10. Suction Cup Symphony (5)
11. The Krabby Kronicle (4)
12. Sun Bleached (4)
13. Penny Foolish (4)
14. Gone (4)
15. Giant Squidward (4)
16. Slide Whistle Stooges (3)
17. The Splinter (3)
18. Boating Buddies (2)

GlitchyGoomba

Bomb-Selling Pirate
This episode is just too uninteresting for me to enjoy. Every single "plot twist" in it were obvious from the very beginning, which probably means that the writers should've chosen a different story to write about. The only redeeming quality that I can think of is the joke that "the chum bucket serves your friends in more ways than one", but that's practically the only joke being told here. They were putting a clear focus on the story, but the story is just so cliché that it just hinders the experience even further.

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
Very bad episode... Mr Krabs was at his absolute worst and the jokes are all flat. The only part i liked was the ending.

Rating: Terrible Episode

Rankings:
Suction Cup Symphony (Perfect)
Krabby Road (Amazing)
Boating Buddies (Great)
A Life in a Day (Great)
Nautical Novice (Great)
No Nose Knows (Good)
Slide Whistle Stooges (Good)
Not Normal (Good)
Gone (Good)
Spongicus (Good)
Giant Squidward (Okay)
Penny Foolish (Meh)
Plankton's Regular (Mediocre)
Patty Caper (Bad)
House Fancy (Bad)
Sun Bleached (Bad)
The Krabby Kronicle (Terrible)
The Splinter (THE ULTRA MEGA SCUM OF THE EARTH!)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
“The Krabby Kronicle” is an episode I’ve always had pretty good memories of; I never remember a time where I disliked this episode. And after covering some notorious episodes, I’m definitely happy about this, because I love a good episode that I can simply compliment and move on with. And it feels like it’s been a little bit since we’ve had an episode focus on some Krusty Krab business practices, so that’s another reason why I’m excited for today’s review.

The episode starts out well enough, just doing some basic set-up that isn’t particularly funny, but is enjoyable to watch. There are some pretty nice visual gags in there though, like when Mr. Krabs gets the idea to print his own paper. As the episode progresses, I start thinking of how it was lowkey ahead of its time with the way that (American) news media is now…yikes. We love an episode that is topical and relevant haha. One thing I like about this episode is that it’s very different from other ones, like we haven’t had one quite like it up to this point. And I like how the gimmick for Mr. Krabs this time has absolutely nothing to do with the food that’s being cooked, so it makes this episode not even feel like quite a Krusty Krab episode either. It keeps things interesting and engaging for me. I also just really like all the newspaper aesthetics of this episode.

SpongeBob’s little reporter outfit is cute, and I love seeing him go around like a reporter, Tom Kenny is just perfection, what can I say? I love how he absolutely has no eye for news, which feels very in character to me, especially when you think of “A Life in a Day” and how SpongeBob doesn’t quite care for the exciting, preferring the mundane. Not to mention he cares about his friends, which is why he decides to go to Patrick and not any of the newsworthy events. And Patrick’s determination to see this random pole move is actually pretty funny lol.

Moving on, the social commentary starts getting especially loud as Mr. Krabs instructs SpongeBob to…embellish the stories (yeah, couldn’t think of a fun euphemism lol). The reference to “Idiot Box” was quite nice too. I also liked how this episode kind of diverted a little bit from the normal structure of this kind of episode and showed the consequences of the false stories pretty much immediately with the cut to Mrs. Puff. It doesn’t necessarily make the episode any better or worse, it just makes it different. Another thing I like is that SpongeBob keeps his morals throughout the episode, he’s just misled by Mr. Krabs. And later when he confronts Mr. Krabs, Mr. Krabs is able to convince him that everything is fine. Seeing SpongeBob get increasingly disillusioned is hard to watch in a good way, since I prefer to see the little guy happy (like he was in the beginning of the episode), and it makes me anticipate just how everything is going to blow up in Mr. Krabs’ face.

All of the scenes showing how SpongeBob’s stories are affecting the subjects are at least entertaining, although the one with Sandy unfortunately just makes me annoyed with how dirty SpongeBob did Sandy, even if he’s clearly being coerced. I’m noticing a very weird trend of using Sandy’s status as a different species to make very thinly-veiled references to racist humor, and I don’t like it. It happened in “No Nose Knows” and it happened here. “Squirrel Jokes” did it about 10x better because that was the moral of the story, but including it among just the typical jokes of an episode is not the move. Okay that was my little soapbox, back to the show.

The last minute or so of this episode is absolutely glorious universal justice. After Mr. Krabs pushes SpongeBob too far, and SpongeBob turns things around and writes about him, both exposing Mr. Krabs and clearing his own name, I’m basically cheering. Seeing everyone get upset is satisfying and hilarious, especially with the fish that gets all up in Mr. Krabs’ face. And then I liked the whole bit with Mr. Krabs printing his own money. And that leads into an amazing call-back with Patrick coming in (because he was conspicuously absent from both the scenes of people’s lives being ruined and from the crowd in the end) with his new wife, the pole. And the way SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs just stare at him? Just hysterical.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9/10

Back