107a. Giant Squidward

CheeseCrocker

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Not very memorable, but it's got the requirements for a good episode.

Good Episode (7/10)

Bigsmoker

Frozen Cephalopod
I rewatched this episode yesterday. I have never liked it. This episode is very bad. It is full of Squidward torture and gross moments, stupid Spongebob, Patrick and townspeople and it lacks of funny moments. I give it 2/10

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
This is one of the most bland and forgettable episodes in the entire series. The plot is stupid, the characters are annoying, and I couldn't tell you a single joke that lands. The episode feels like a mix of a bunch of other episodes with nothing unique or interesting in it to set it apart from the rest of them. Squidward helping the townspeople was a little cute, but even that's stolen from The Sponge Who Could Fly.

Bad episode (3/10)

1. Not Normal (8)
2. House Fancy (6)
3. Krabby Road (6)
4. A Life in a Day (6)
5. Sun Bleached (5)
6. Spongicus (5)
7. Nautical Novice (5)
8. Suction Cup Symphony (5)
9. Penny Foolish (4)
10. Gone (4)
11. Giant Squidward (3)
12. Slide Whistle Stooges (3)
13. The Splinter (3)

GlitchyGoomba

Bomb-Selling Pirate
This is probably the most soulless episode of the whole season. Everything about it sucks, from the rehashes of Spongebob and Patrick doing good deeds and the bikini bottomites demanding Squidward to "help" them fulfill their wishes, to the really lame resolution. At least Good Neighbors had some things going for it. This has nothing.

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
After my latest rewatch its decent. The "big money" joke was the highlight. But if it wasnt for all that un-called-for Squidward torture this would have been a good episode.

Rating: Okay Episode

Rankings:
Suction Cup Symphony (Perfect)
Krabby Road (Amazing)
A Life in a Day (Great)
Nautical Novice (Great)
Slide Whistle Stooges (Good)
Not Normal (Good)
Gone (Good)
Spongicus (Good)
Giant Squidward (Okay)
Penny Foolish (Meh)
House Fancy (Bad)
Sun Bleached (Bad)
The Splinter (THE ULTRA MEGA SCUM OF THE EARTH!)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
From what I remember about my feelings on this episode, I’ve always kind of thought that “Giant Squidward” was a quintessential example of a very average, middling, meh episode. After rewatching the episode, I have to say that this previous feeling is generally pretty accurate. I say generally because this episode is average, middling, and meh, but not all the way through, as there is some really good stuff in here.

The episode begins well enough, with Squidward starting his morning off nicely and tending to his kelp. Squidward being a gardener is a hobby that really fits him. And we’ve seen it before obviously, but I really do like seeing it whenever it appears. Anyway, after he uses some bonemeal I mean Kelp Grow on his kelp, which gets the brain gears turning as we begin to wonder how things are gonna backfire on Squidward, we get a pretty funny moment when Patrick appears out of nowhere in Squidward’s kelp garden. I was not expecting to laugh as hard as I did in that moment. I like that we move to shenanigans very quickly from here, and that Squidward is the initiator of them. I also really like the magical properties of the Kelp Grow in this episode, because sometimes things just need to be nonsensical, like a plant fertilizer being able to make anything grow instantly (I wonder if Kelp Grow is how they fixed the town in “Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy IV” lol.

And I suppose I’ll interject here real quick to say that one missed opportunity by this episode is in the visuals. Like the visuals it does give us are fun, I won’t deny that, but I think they could’ve done more. Imagine this episode with smoother and more expressive animation. And this is kind of a problem with seasons 6-8 as a whole (which is why seasons 10+ are such a treat), but I especially point it out here in this episode because of the sheer amount of visual gags with everything growing.

Returning back to the chronological run-through, Patrick’s lack of understanding of sarcasm was a bit funnier than I expected, and it also leads to the real shenanigans starting with Patrick making Squidward’s nose grow, which is absolutely hysterical visually. And then I love how after SpongeBob makes Gary’s shell grow, Gary gives a whole commentary to Squidward lol. I like the idea that after enough years of living next door to SpongeBob, Squidward is able to understand Gary completely. Anyway, the bit with Mr. Krabs was fine, I liked the bad pun about the money. But then things kinda slow to a halt when I have to sit through the entire awkward interaction between SpongeBob and Patrick. I don’t know why this keeps happening but these awkward scenes have got to stop, they are rarely funny and are usually just boring and kind of a waste of time. This awkward scene also prevents us from getting a montage or anything remotely entertaining before Squidward catches up with SpongeBob and Patrick, which means we get no rule of three or anything like that. I feel like a Sandy cameo or something would’ve been interesting. Or even a Plankton one?? But no, just awkward muttering and mumbling. And as SpongeBob “evens Squidward out”, the visuals are just…off-putting. I get that making Squidward look ugly is the point, but that doesn’t make it any more pleasant or amusing, like a toned-down version of “The Splinter”.

And now that we’re a little less than halfway through the episode, we reach the title with Squidward now being giant. This isn’t a knock on the pacing by the way, because I feel like with the way the episode is written at least, this would’ve been a hard concept to fill for 11 minutes had Squidward gotten giant in like…the first minute or two. Or actually…I think I’m being too nice, because I would’ve enjoyed an episode with Squidward just trying to go about his day after somehow becoming giant (preferably through his own mistakes rather than SpongeBob and Patrick’s interference, but I’ll take either one), because while we get some of that we don’t get very much. Anyway, the actual chase with SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidward is…fine, albeit quite predictable once they get to Bikini Bottom and an angry riot comes out to fell Squidward. I did like the bit about that guy having a torch in his briefcase though, because if there’s one thing about Bikini Bottomites, they’re always gonna have pitchforks and torches at the ready lmao. However, my problem here is that it is so very clear that the “monster” is just a giant Squidward, so why is everyone reacting like this??? It’s weird. I did like how the lifeguard guy was like “oh, hadn’t thought of that” when the kid was like “maybe he’s a nice monster”.

From here, we get a very similar yet very different plot to “The Sponge Who Could Fly”, with Squidward doing all of these nice things for people so they won’t literally kill him. The entitlement is crazy (I can’t stand these types of plots, just saying). Squidward not saying bless you being the thing that makes everyone turn on him is both horrible and kinda funny, especially when you think that logically he may not have even heard the sneeze lmao. And then the part where he’s like “I’m a lamppost” was a lot funnier than expected (lots of those in this episode, huh?).

The ending of this episode was surprisingly wholesome, with SpongeBob and Patrick building Squidward a giant clarinet to turn him back to normal. Unfortunately Squidward loses the ability to play it, but this does lead to the legit funny ending of the episode, where it turns out SpongeBob and Patrick had to cut Squidward’s garden to make the clarinet, and he ends up chasing them just like earlier in the episode. A pretty good ending to this otherwise alright episode.

Episode Tier: Okay
Episode Score:
6.6/10

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
From what I remember about my feelings on this episode, I’ve always kind of thought that “Giant Squidward” was a quintessential example of a very average, middling, meh episode. After rewatching the episode, I have to say that this previous feeling is generally pretty accurate. I say generally because this episode is average, middling, and meh, but not all the way through, as there is some really good stuff in here.

The episode begins well enough, with Squidward starting his morning off nicely and tending to his kelp. Squidward being a gardener is a hobby that really fits him. And we’ve seen it before obviously, but I really do like seeing it whenever it appears. Anyway, after he uses some bonemeal I mean Kelp Grow on his kelp, which gets the brain gears turning as we begin to wonder how things are gonna backfire on Squidward, we get a pretty funny moment when Patrick appears out of nowhere in Squidward’s kelp garden. I was not expecting to laugh as hard as I did in that moment. I like that we move to shenanigans very quickly from here, and that Squidward is the initiator of them. I also really like the magical properties of the Kelp Grow in this episode, because sometimes things just need to be nonsensical, like a plant fertilizer being able to make anything grow instantly (I wonder if Kelp Grow is how they fixed the town in “Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy IV” lol.

And I suppose I’ll interject here real quick to say that one missed opportunity by this episode is in the visuals. Like the visuals it does give us are fun, I won’t deny that, but I think they could’ve done more. Imagine this episode with smoother and more expressive animation. And this is kind of a problem with seasons 6-8 as a whole (which is why seasons 10+ are such a treat), but I especially point it out here in this episode because of the sheer amount of visual gags with everything growing.

Returning back to the chronological run-through, Patrick’s lack of understanding of sarcasm was a bit funnier than I expected, and it also leads to the real shenanigans starting with Patrick making Squidward’s nose grow, which is absolutely hysterical visually. And then I love how after SpongeBob makes Gary’s shell grow, Gary gives a whole commentary to Squidward lol. I like the idea that after enough years of living next door to SpongeBob, Squidward is able to understand Gary completely. Anyway, the bit with Mr. Krabs was fine, I liked the bad pun about the money. But then things kinda slow to a halt when I have to sit through the entire awkward interaction between SpongeBob and Patrick. I don’t know why this keeps happening but these awkward scenes have got to stop, they are rarely funny and are usually just boring and kind of a waste of time. This awkward scene also prevents us from getting a montage or anything remotely entertaining before Squidward catches up with SpongeBob and Patrick, which means we get no rule of three or anything like that. I feel like a Sandy cameo or something would’ve been interesting. Or even a Plankton one?? But no, just awkward muttering and mumbling. And as SpongeBob “evens Squidward out”, the visuals are just…off-putting. I get that making Squidward look ugly is the point, but that doesn’t make it any more pleasant or amusing, like a toned-down version of “The Splinter”.

And now that we’re a little less than halfway through the episode, we reach the title with Squidward now being giant. This isn’t a knock on the pacing by the way, because I feel like with the way the episode is written at least, this would’ve been a hard concept to fill for 11 minutes had Squidward gotten giant in like…the first minute or two. Or actually…I think I’m being too nice, because I would’ve enjoyed an episode with Squidward just trying to go about his day after somehow becoming giant (preferably through his own mistakes rather than SpongeBob and Patrick’s interference, but I’ll take either one), because while we get some of that we don’t get very much. Anyway, the actual chase with SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidward is…fine, albeit quite predictable once they get to Bikini Bottom and an angry riot comes out to fell Squidward. I did like the bit about that guy having a torch in his briefcase though, because if there’s one thing about Bikini Bottomites, they’re always gonna have pitchforks and torches at the ready lmao. However, my problem here is that it is so very clear that the “monster” is just a giant Squidward, so why is everyone reacting like this??? It’s weird. I did like how the lifeguard guy was like “oh, hadn’t thought of that” when the kid was like “maybe he’s a nice monster”.

From here, we get a very similar yet very different plot to “The Sponge Who Could Fly”, with Squidward doing all of these nice things for people so they won’t literally kill him. The entitlement is crazy (I can’t stand these types of plots, just saying). Squidward not saying bless you being the thing that makes everyone turn on him is both horrible and kinda funny, especially when you think that logically he may not have even heard the sneeze lmao. And then the part where he’s like “I’m a lamppost” was a lot funnier than expected (lots of those in this episode, huh?).

The ending of this episode was surprisingly wholesome, with SpongeBob and Patrick building Squidward a giant clarinet to turn him back to normal. Unfortunately Squidward loses the ability to play it, but this does lead to the legit funny ending of the episode, where it turns out SpongeBob and Patrick had to cut Squidward’s garden to make the clarinet, and he ends up chasing them just like earlier in the episode. A pretty good ending to this otherwise alright episode.

Episode Score: 6.6/10
That I agree with you on

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive

Episode Score: 6.6/10
you see it's funny because HE'S GIANT you see cause that's the title

WHY ARENT YOU LAUGHING

SpongebobMaster

The Guy Who Reviews UHHHHH
I liked it! it was pretty silly i couldn't take it seriously it had really good jokes this is overhated! its pretty fun and we get our giant squidward in record time!
7.5/10
1. Suction Cup Symphony (10/10)
2. Krabby Road (9.5/10)
3. Not Normal (9.5/10)
4. House Fancy (9/10)
5. Life In A Day (8.5/10)
6. Spongicus (7.5/10)
7. Giant Squidward (7.5/10)
8. Gone (7/10)
9. Penny Foolish (6.5/10)
10. Sun Bleached (5.5/10)
11. Nautical Novice (4.5/10)