105b. Slide Whistle Stooges

Ol Bold and Brash

Hu Tao stan
Overhated episode I thought it was really funny, the slide noises honestly didn't bother me but I can agree the worst part was the truck crash and EVERYONE CHEERING which really lowered my score but this episode was okay

Grade: 6.5/10 (it would have been 8.5/10 if it wasn't for the truck crash scene)

Best Character: All of Them

Best Line: assault your own baby

Best Moment: the Barg N Mart scene

Season 4-11

7 Years of Hospitality
I found a website where you can get slide whistles. I'm buying one. They're only $1.95 plus shipping!

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
This is way worse than I remembered. How could I put this at #33 on my season 6 list? It's the same stupid gag for 30 years that tortures my ears, SpongeBob and Patrick were beyond annoying too with their antics at the hospital and saying Squidward went too far is if they never went too far. I guess I liked some of the non-slide whistle gags like "Assault your own baby!" that's a great joke that a show like SpongeBob can do very well, but everything else was terrible.

2.5/10

CakeCup

Facing the BSOD
Strange, I find myself liking this episode. I don't know, but the sounds of the slide whistles are actually pretty pleasing to me, maybe it's just the way that I hear them. The beginning was really bland and started out like a typical Squid torture episode, but it actually got better as the episode went on. I like how Squidward joined in the fun and started playing the slide whistle, which is very reminiscent of awesome pre-movie episodes like Bubblestand, Idiot Box, and Snowball Effect. I sense that a lot of people hate this episode just because it is annoying Squid torture, but I believe that this episode is more than just sheer annoyance. While this episode was lacking in the joke department (other than slide whistles, of course), the plot and the middle make up for it. I give it an 8/10.

SpongeBronyPH

Giant Clam
Episode: Slide Whistle Stooges (S6-E105-B)

I LOVE THIS EPISODE! :wub: It makes me laugh. I love Squidward driving recklessly with the fuel tanker until he fell down and blew up in flames. I laugh so hard there, but I don't like the Bikini Bottomites cheering on Squidward after his fiery death, but I do like SB and Pat's funeral music with the slide whistle. I also don't like SB and Pat misunderstanding Squidward. Therefore, this score should be a perfect 10 but because of the mean-spirited scene here, I have to decrease.

Final Score = 7/10

kingseye423

Flying Dutchman's Sock
The slide whistles were alright, but the Squid Abuse is inexcusable here. At least SpongeBob and Patrick feel bad in that scenario after pushing Squidward to make fun of others. 5.8/10

josemiguex

Imitation Krab
Great that this episode keeps repeating the same unfunny gag throughout the episode! This episode is perfect but I will give it a 9/10 because there are two jokes that actually made me laugh

I'd be lying if I said I didn't like this one. It's far from perfect, no doubt, and it does make fun of serious matters, but I found the slide whistles pretty amusing to be honest, and I liked some of the jokes.

Ranking so far:
1. Krabby Road (A)
2. Not Normal (A)
3. Suction Cup Symphony (A)
4. Gone (B)
5. Slide Whistle Stooges (B)
6. House Fancy (C)
7. Spongicus (C)
8. Nautical Novice (C)
9. Penny Foolish (D)
10. The Splinter (F)

CheeseCrocker

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Like Penny Foolish, this is a very amusing episode, but it has more laugh out loud moments. Only bad scene was the ending.

Great Episode (8/10)

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
I really don't like this episode. The entire thing consists of making the same annoying joke over and over again, with not much actual substance or story in between. Spongebob and Patrick are also very annoying and are really only there to ruin Squidward's life which is great. Some of the visual gags are alright, but other than that there's really no redeeming qualities to this episode.

Bad episode (3/10)

1. Not Normal (8)
2. House Fancy (6)
3. Krabby Road (6)
4. Spongicus (5)
5. Nautical Novice (5)
6. Suction Cup Symphony (5)
7. Penny Foolish (4)
8. Gone (4)
9. Slide Whistle Stooges (3)
10. The Splinter (3)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
I like this one! Its really fun and funny and i like the jokes! Pretty neat!

Rating: Good Episode

Rankings:
Suction Cup Symphony (Perfect)
Krabby Road (Amazing)
Nautical Novice (Great)
Slide Whistle Stooges (Good)
Not Normal (Good)
Gone (Good)
Spongicus (Good)
Penny Foolish (Meh)
House Fancy (Bad)
The Splinter (THE ULTRA MEGA SCUM OF THE EARTH!)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
For the first episode of today, we’ve got a pretty interesting one in “Slide Whistle Stooges”. Fun fact, this episode originated two separate tracks, which were both very uncreatively named (Slide Whistle Stooges and Slide Whistle Stooges 2), so that’s pretty cool. They’re also just excellent tracks, with the first one being great for chase scenes, and the second one being more of a chill track, perfect for scenes with less dialogue. I wish they did a little better with the names though, especially because whenever the track is listed somewhere I get confused lol. Anyway, let’s get chatting about the episode.

I guess I’ll go ahead and address the big thing first…is this episode annoying? Is the main gag repetitive and/or unfunny? Luckily for me, I'm able to combine the answers to all of these questions into one single answer: no. Firstly, the slide whistle sound is not annoying to me at all, and in this way I consider this specific part of the episode to be an improvement to "Squeaky Boots", making a sound that is annoying to characters in-universe not annoying to me. and the way the slide whistles are presented in this episode kind of reminds me of the notorious Johnny Test whip crack, except not irritating haha. As for whether the whistling is repetitive and/or unfunny, I don't feel this way either. I'll discuss it more during the review, but I think they vary the gag enough, even while it is the same basic premise. I'm sure during some rewatches this episode could be like "Employee of the Month" where the repetition simply doesn't do it for me, but during my last rewatch I really enjoyed it.

Now that that’s settled, I’ll discuss the rest of the episode. I mean, I can’t really not talk about the slide whistles again, because this was a fun little gimmick that makes the episode stand out. The beginning scene with Squidward slowly catching on to whatever’s going on was pretty entertaining, as we’re pulled right alongside him in trying to figure out what these noises are coming from. I also love how he’s like “it’s too early for this”, because that’s one of my favorite phrases lol. But just like SpongeBob says the slide whistling adds zest to everyday life, the act adds some zest to this episode. I love how SpongeBob and Patrick pull off all sorts of feats while slide whistling and messing with Squidward. And seeing Squidward slowly grow more and more insane over the slide whistles is pretty entertaining, if not exactly funny. The ensuing chase scene is similarly amusing, especially with the new music for it.

From here, the episode shifts to Squidward now getting in on the slide whistle action, with his ego being stroked. This was definitely a necessary change because even though SpongeBob and Patrick chasing Squidward around all day with the slide whistles was fun, I’m not sure it would’ve been good enough for 11 minutes of just that. And seeing Squidward get in on the fun is super enjoyable, both because it’s wholesome to see him have fun with SpongeBob and Patrick, and also because it’s just an entertaining sequence. The part at the Barg N’ Mart was great, and I love how Squidward was totally trolling that guy. Seeing Squidward actually let loose in this episode makes me think a lot of “Squidville”, since it’s a very similar, yet very different thing. I love how Squidward gets increasingly out of pocket too, which was a good escalation.

Moving on, y’all know what I’m about to say. I love the dramatics of the townspeople, pulling out the whole torches and pitchforks stop, to chase after Squidward for defiling the sanctity of Bikini Bottom. Man, this episode has a lot of chase scenes. But I mean Slide Whistle Stooges (the song) is best used for chase scenes anyway, so I get it. Anyway, I love the part with Squidward in the truck, and how the driver just fully abandons the whole vehicle. This of course ends in some glorious universal justice for Squidward, and I love how he accents his fall with the slide whistle…I feel like the entire episode was made just for that one joke lmao, like all the slide whistle build up really culminated in that, and it was hilarious. And on top of that, the “Band Geeks”-esque shot with SpongeBob and Patrick playing the sad music enhanced things even more. The ending of this episode is great too, a good continuation of the shenanigans that have been taking place throughout the entire runtime, with a side of “everybody laughs”.

“Slide Whistle Stooges” was just a really fun and entertaining episode. Delightful, I’d even say. A very warm episode. I really don’t have any issues with it at all. The only thing is that this episode wasn’t super funny, but like it wasn’t exactly trying to throw jokes left and right (being entirely focused on its one kind of gag), so I’m fine with that.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9/10

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
i'm actually surprised you rated it so high i found the episode to be very obnoxious
I like this episode as well so Pugs isn't alone
I like this one! Its really fun and funny and i like the jokes! Pretty neat!

Rating: Good Episode

Rankings:
Suction Cup Symphony (Perfect)
Krabby Road (Amazing)
Nautical Novice (Great)
Slide Whistle Stooges (Good)
Not Normal (Good)
Gone (Good)
Spongicus (Good)
Penny Foolish (Meh)
House Fancy (Bad)
The Splinter (THE ULTRA MEGA SCUM OF THE EARTH!)

Back