105a. The Splinter

Rex

Floating Shopping List
You know an episode is bad when I invent a whole new rating because of it. The Splinter is so horrendous I made a new rating for any episode like. Worst Of The Worst 1/10. This episode and only 4 others fit into this category, and the fun part 3 of them are in season 6. Most people know why its bad so I'm not gonna explain but everything you heard is true

105a The Splinter Worst Of The Worst 1/10 (Worst episode of Season 6)

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
I'm gonna be 100% honest here, I really don't think this episode is completely terrible. Don't get me wrong, it's still a really bad episode, but I'd be lying if I didn't say that I found some moments such as the beginning to be somewhat enjoyable. But other than that, yeah, this episode really is as bad as everyone says it is. The episode takes pleasure in torturing Spongebob and none of it is remotely entertaining or funny, and the splinter itself is really hard to watch. Also, Patrick is a character that exists in this episode.

Bad episode (3/10)

1. Not Normal (8)
2. House Fancy (6)
3. Krabby Road (6)
4. Spongicus (5)
5. Nautical Novice (5)
6. Suction Cup Symphony (5)
7. Penny Foolish (4)
8. Gone (4)
9. The Splinter (3)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
This episode really literally made me wanna throw my portable DVD player across the room i was in. There was some highlights though which were the beginning and ending. Patrick was basically like Satan here and every bit here was SB torture. This is my least favorite episode of the entire show!

Rating: THE ULTRA MEGA SCUM OF THE EARTH!

Rankings:
Suction Cup Symphony (Perfect)
Krabby Road (Amazing)
Nautical Novice (Great)
Not Normal (Good)
Gone (Good)
Spongicus (Good)
Penny Foolish (Meh)
House Fancy (Bad)
The Splinter (THE ULTRA MEGA SCUM OF THE EARTH!)

GlitchyGoomba

Bomb-Selling Pirate
I'm just going to come out and say, I don't hate this episode quite as much as seemingly everyone else. The gross out element is of course a huge turn-off, but I feel like what the episode fails more at is the narrative. The beginning was the best part in my opinion, because it actually pulls a decent twist and fools us into thinking Spongebob will land on the daggers sticking out from the floor. I also did kind of laugh at the gag on the frozen caveman because of how quickly it was done.
Everything else is just downhill from there. The whole segment of Squidward messing with Spongebob feels dragged out way longer than it needed to be, and it just carries this really mean-spirited tone which is unfortunately going to be prevalent in most of the season 6 episodes to come. Also, I don't think i even need to mention Patrick's part of the story. All i'm going to say is that he's not fun to watch. And then we get to the ending, that pulls another twist that makes it seem like the splinter is harmless when in reality it has the ability to ruin the whole floor. When I was young, I ended up avoiding this episode because this ending grossed me out to my core. Now as a teenager, it doesn't gross me out as much, but it's still unpleasant to look at and it ends on a lame Squidward gag.

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Fresh off the heels of a kinda notorious episode, we’ve got “The Splinter”…oh boy. This episode has 7 pages of comments here on the forum. I don't think I need to say anything else about the infamy of this episode, which, in my opinion, is quite overblown.

I like how this episode begins, because it’s always nice to see SpongeBob so enthusiastic about his job. Not to mention they have one of my favorite little tracks, Tripping Upstairs, in the background. There’s also some neat visuals in this segment too, like when SpongeBob takes out the ingredients. And once SpongeBob gets his spatula stuck in the ceiling, the bit where he takes it out just to say it’s stuck pretty good got a good chuckle out of me, that was a clever bit of humor. Honestly this first part of the episode is really good. It’s too bad it all goes downhill from here, once SpongeBob gets the eponymous splinter.

Immediately when SpongeBob gets the splinter, we’re subjected to some really uncomfortable images. And see, this is where this episode diverges from the toenail scene in “House Fancy” for me. To me, that scene hardly looked graphic. But in this episode, we get some realistic paintings as well as SpongeBob’s red thumb (and worse, later) the entire episode, so you can just feel the pain just by looking at it. And it just generates this very uncomfortable feeling. I mean, on one hand it's somewhat impressive that the artists and writers manage to do this with such ease, but on the other it still makes the episode very difficult to watch.

The next problem of the episode (I’ll return to the gross-out after this, as it doesn’t become quite the issue until later) is the fact that it’s honestly pretty boring after the great first segment. SpongeBob’s attempts to get the splinter out are just not that entertaining to me other than a neat visual gag here and there. The interaction between SpongeBob and Squidward is also disappointingly dull. Squidward’s whole plot to get SpongeBob sent home just isn’t really entertaining at all...I feel like the episode would've been better if it was just SpongeBob struggling to do his job with the splinter and realizing he can't do it so then enlisting Patrick to get it out. Just cut all this Squidward stuff, it was unnecessary. I think the main issue is that there weren’t really any attempts for humor for some very large stretches of time. Not to mention, there’s no way in H Mr. Krabs would follow a workplace code like that LMAO. But seriously, this entire interaction is just dull, slow, and off. The phone call with Patrick is similarly boring. But I did like that we got a kind of call-back to both “Suction Cup Symphony” and “Suds”…even if again, it was boring. Just so slow and quiet, I don’t know what’s going on here, but it isn’t working (the med school joke was actually funny though, so there was that). Also, another thing about this section, but it’s kind of nonsensical. Like, if Mr. Krabs is really that aware of things amiss at his restaurant, and SpongeBob is this worried about being sent home early, then why tf is he not, you know, actually working??? SpongeBob spends so much time trying to get this splinter out, so I’m confused about him actually doing his job?? But whatever, it’s all to comedic (or attempted comedic) effect, so it doesn’t really matter.

And now, of course, I must talk about the last issue of this episode—which I already started to address—the gross-out. And it’s true, the last 2 minutes of this episode are just freaking nasty. Luckily, there aren’t too many shots of the thing, and thank god there isn’t one of those close-up paintings of it, but there’s enough shots for us to get the idea. And maybe because it’s a hand injury, a common enough one at that (though I can only remember getting one or two splinters in my life lol), I get quite the visceral reaction watching this part of “The Splinter”, that makes me want to turn the whole episode off. I’m just glad the situation is resolved quickly. As for the actual ending of this episode, its attempted slapstick that doesn’t really do anything for me, much like the comedy in most of this episode. At least it’s kind of satisfying to see Squidward get hurt after all the emotional turmoil he put SpongeBob through, but it would’ve been better had this scene actually been funny.

I can’t tell if the biggest crime of “The Splinter” is being gross or being just plain boring. I’m leaning towards the latter, because how is an episode known for being so disgusting just so dull??? I think this episode is the perfect representation of a “Mediocre”-tier episode, because it completely fails at what it set out to do, but it also doesn’t truly offend me other than some gross shots. The beginning of this episode also for sure prevents this episode from going into “Tolerable”, but just barely.

Episode Tier: Mediocre
Episode Score: 5/10

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
how could you not like
tumblr_l67naih8091qbaxlqo1_500.gif
lol

Season 4-11

7 Years of Hospitality
I'll be honest, The Splinter... ...has its' moments.

Yes, it's kinda gross, but even as a kid I never thought the closeups and gross-out clips were too bad. Even still, as someone who has had several bad splinters (and slivers which took over an hour to remove from underneath my skin), this episode doesn't make me cringe. Another thing about this episode is that at the very least, it's memorable. I remember just about everything that happens from start to finish, and I write this review having not seen it in probably a year or two. And on top of that, I would even say that I find a decent amount of the jokes funny. The gross-out stuff can go too far of course, but I like some of the jokes with Squidward (like the head squishing for some reason) and I think the episode starts out pretty well with good story elements and good humor. Plus, the ending with Squidward hurting himself for workman's comp (which he doesn't get) is a pretty good (and deserved) punishment imo, with all the stuff he did to SpongeBob in the episode.

Obviously, this episode has it's problems, but I wouldn't say it's the worst thing ever. There's actually a decent amount of stuff that I like here. So I'll give it a 6/10. It needs a bit of work to get a passing score (which for me is a 7.5), but there's good stuff here and I won't let the some of the bad stuff ruin it for me.

SpongebobMaster

The Guy Who Reviews UHHHHH
(Old review) YUCK! THIS EPISODE IS SO GROSS EVEN THO FUNGUS AMONGUS WAS GROSSER IT DIDN'T MAKE ME AS MAD AS THIS ITS SO BAD ONE OF THE WORST EPISODES OF THE SHOW! 0/10

Last edited:

Hugs4Softie

South Park Elementary Student of the Month
MY LEAST FAVORITE EPISODE OF ALL TIME!!!

This episode kinda causes me pain in a way. More of a mental pain. It's painful to watch, simply to put it. I don't get how anyone could say "I like The Splinter" because it's so nasty.

This episode makes me think of a bad smell. Like when I was doing a marathon and this one came on.

If this episode had a smell, it'd be a dumpster on a hot day with a dead rat in it. If it had a taste it'd be orange juice after toothpaste. If it was a sound, it'd be nails on a chalkboard.

And that's my honest opinion on it.

-10/10 episode.

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
I want to review this so here we are...

Review:
Oh boy, Where do I start? I really really really really really really (100000000000 more reallys) hate this episode guys. In matter I don't just dislike it nor do I just hate yup I am talking that this my friends is my least favorite episode of show...

Where to start? Well the beginning is pretty intriguing that is until SpongeBob flings his spatula. He uses swords, mayonnaise jars and crates to get it. He falls luckily he slides off a sword. "You really saved me!" SpongeBob says then he falls and gets a splinter. (Oh no the horror begins...) It hurts him and then he gets Squidward to assist him BUT SQUIDWARD DOESNT DO (dolphin noise) TO (dolphin noise) HELP! Patrick is unlikable as well. He does not help him at all. He "helps" by shoving SpongeBob's splinter in FARTHER and puts GARBAGE on it! The ending is great though because Squidward gives himself karma. That is why I absolutely hate this one.

P.S. sorry for the long review

Final rating: 0/10 No

Last edited:

Squidwardiard

Frozen Cephalopod
THIS EPISODE IS AN ABSOLUTE MASTERPIECE!!!! GREATEST EPISODE OF ALL TIME! NO, GREATEST PIECE OF TELEVISION OF ALL TIME. PERHAPS EVEN THE GREATEST STORY OF ALL MANKIND!!! I CANNOT SING THIS EPISODE'S PRAISES ENOUGH!!! AN ABSOLUTE MASTERCLASS OF ANIMATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SpongebobMaster

NOO WE WERE DOING SO GOOD SEASON 6 YOU JUST HAD TO SCREW IT UP NOOOOO
0/10
1. Suction Cup Symphony (10/10)
2. Krabby Road (9.5/10)
3. Not Normal (9.5/10)
4. House Fancy (9/10)
5. Spongicus (7.5/10)
6. Gone (7/10)
7. Penny Foolish (6.5/10)
8. Nautical Novice (4.5/10)
9. The Splinter (0/10)
Please lets continue having solid or good episodes season 6

SpongebobMaster

THIS EPISODE IS AN ABSOLUTE MASTERPIECE!!!! GREATEST EPISODE OF ALL TIME! NO, GREATEST PIECE OF TELEVISION OF ALL TIME. PERHAPS EVEN THE GREATEST STORY OF ALL MANKIND!!! I CANNOT SING THIS EPISODE'S PRAISES ENOUGH!!! AN ABSOLUTE MASTERCLASS OF ANIMATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!
if you ignore the gross out and patrick and everything else it is a masterpiece

Back