104b. Gone

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
Not a fan. Seeing Spongebob imitate his friends in the beginning is kinda cute, but the rest of the episode is either just boring or weird. I feel like if they spent less time establishing Spongebob's relationship with this stupid boat then it could've been a better episode. Also, the ending is terrible. Not much else to say.

Bad episode (4/10)

1. Not Normal (8)
2. House Fancy (6)
3. Krabby Road (6)
4. Spongicus (5)
5. Nautical Novice (5)
6. Suction Cup Symphony (5)
7. Gone (4)
8. Penny Foolish (4)

Squidwardiard

Frozen Cephalopod
I enjoy this episode. The mystery of everyone disappearing is pretty engaging and interesting. The idea of everyone just disappearing without any explanation is scary but fascinating. It's interesting seeing SpongeBob in an episode mostly by himself and not really have any other characters to bounce off of. I find the episode entertaining still despite that. I like when SB imitates the other characters to replace them. These imitations feel sort of like precursors to the ones in Mimic Madness. The plot does feel kinda all over the place though. SpongeBob talking to his boat was kinda dumb. And it's kind of random when he goes crazy at the end. The ending is mean spirited to SpongeBob, but I think it's still pretty funny. He is meant to be annoying to the other characters, so the ending makes some sense and is funny imo. It's harsh to have them torch and stomp the SpongeBob structure, but I'm amused by how extreme it is. A pretty interesting and enjoyable episode to me.

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
A pretty fun episode to watch. Though the ending was pure Patrick abuse.

Rating: Good Episode

Rankings:
Suction Cup Symphony (Perfect)
Krabby Road (Amazing)
Nautical Novice (Great)
Not Normal (Good)
Gone (Good)
Spongicus (Good)
Penny Foolish (Meh)
House Fancy (Bad)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Well now, I’ve got quite an interesting episode today, don’t I? This episode is definitely on the low end of the infamy scale, but I’d still dare to call "Gone" infamous, wouldn’t y’all? Well, whatever it is, I know the popular consensus on this episode is not…positive. And if you know anything about my reviews and have seen any trends whatsoever, then you can probably guess what my feelings on this episode are going to be.

Let me start positively though, before I say my piece. One thing I really like in this episode is that like “SpongeHenge”, it crafts the unsettling atmosphere quite nicely. “SpongeHenge” is more unsettling and it crafts the atmosphere more completely, but that’s not saying this episode does a bad job. Even the title card of “Gone” really pulls us right in, with the words being far back on the empty screen. And I like that this episode is kind of a slow burn on the atmosphere, whereas “SpongeHenge” went right in (additionally, this episode plays things much more for laughs than “SpongeHenge”, which I know was a complaint about that episode). In this episode, SpongeBob begins his day normally before he realizes that everyone is gone, and then we see him grow increasingly insane as some horror elements come in. It’s very nicely done. I love how it takes SpongeBob a bit to realize something is off, but there’s plenty of clues for us in the audience, especially as SpongeBob walks through Bikini Bottom and there are cars crashed and tipped over and stuff. And when SpongeBob leaves the Krusty Krab and Mr. Krabs’ office door opens with some great audio editing with the creaking and music, I just love how creepy that part is, especially once it is extended with SpongeBob returning home, and seeing that Squidward’s door is unlocked too. Just a very palpable horror atmosphere that’s quite excellently-crafted. There are very few episodes that pull this kind of thing off, and “Gone” is one of them.

Of course, the ending of the episode undermines all of this, but it does so on purpose so I’m not mad about that aspect of the ending, at least. I mean, if the episode had kept the horror atmosphere the entire time, it would’ve probably been a lot better…like if they did something like “Planet of the Jellyfish” but instead of clones everyone was just kidnapped for some reason or another. I would’ve even preferred something like The Truman Show (which I've never actually seen lol) where it turns out SpongeBob was being surveilled the whole time and this was some kind of social experiment. But that’s getting into the negative, and we’re not quite there yet. But don’t worry, we’ll get there.

I’ll just give some other random things I liked about this episode, since I kind of summed up a lot right there. I thought the episode was mostly very enjoyable (aside from the ending being the unsaid thing in every positive thing I say, just saying), especially as it builds up the horror and tension. As SpongeBob is at the Krusty Krab, I like the way we see time passing with the sun moving in the sky, because it’s a neat shot and gives us some pretty cool-looking gorgeous background art. The delivery on “Where did everybody go?!” was really good and I liked the joke with SpongeBob just repeating it rather than it being an echo. SpongeBob pretending to be everyone was pretty fun, and felt like a protypical version of what we’d see later in “Mimic Madness”. I also thought this episode was super impressive in being almost entirely focused on SpongeBob while never getting stale. The boat being afraid of SpongeBob at first was pretty funny. SpongeBob making a boat his new best friend was also hilarious, especially with the montage. And then SpongeBob starting to go legit insane with the boat and the meat puppet was hysterical.

And then the episode ends with everyone still missing and I give this episode a 9/10! Yay!

…yeah I know, I wish that was the truth too. But no, I have to deal with this ending. You know how I’ve said that a great ending can really bring up a bad episode for me? Well the opposite is true too, as this episode proves. Because this ending takes all the lovingly-cultivated atmosphere from before and just sh**s on it as we get this extremely mean-spirited ending that seemed to take a page out of “Whatever Happened to SpongeBob?'s” book. You guys already know I hate to see SpongeBob lose or be rejected or anything like that, so it should come as no surprise that I hate the entire No SpongeBob Day idea. I don’t even know where to begin with how much this ending pisses me off, because it’s rude, unnecessary, and uncalled for. This episode could’ve just been a fun mystery/thriller with SpongeBob trying to find everyone (which yes that would sacrifice the fun bits from earlier, but it would’ve prevented this ending), but no, we get this downright insulting ending where it turns out that not even SpongeBob’s best friends can stand to be around him?? And the fact that this was supposed to be a day and everyone was having so much fun that they decided to stay away from weeks is just crazy. This is so mean-spirited towards SpongeBob and for what?? What was the reason?? Why do these people keep thinking we want to see that? And fresh off the heels of “Not Normal”, this episode is even worse when we keep the same neurodivergence angle that that episode had. Poor SpongeBob being tricked into thinking this was a good or flattering thing just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and everything Patrick says gets me dangerously close to seeing red. The very ending of this episode isn’t even that satisfying either, because Patrick is far from the only culprit, and everyone deserves to be abandoned like SpongeBob was. Just despicable.

The fact that this episode was so tainted by its ending really pisses me off because "Gone" was so good for its entire runtime before that. Like my little bit about ending the review early might’ve been a joke, but considering this episode to be in “Amazing” tier before the ending was not. However with this blatantly insulting and infuriating ending, I have to send this episode down at least two tiers, no doubt about it. That’s why this episode is in my “Good” tier, and that’s me being nice about it.

Episode Tier: Good
Episode Score:
7.6/10

Note: After reviewing this episode, I’ve started to pick up on a possibly worrying trend (it’s only happened twice so far, so it’s just a coincidence, but 3 times is a pattern so I need to stay vigilant) of perfectly fine episodes being ruined by their endings. Well, “Nautical Novice” was quite boring, but the ending is the stand-out negative for many people. While I disagree with this, I’ve even seen people dislike the ending of “Penny Foolish”. And then this episode, clearly I’ve got problems with the ending. So I’m interested in seeing how this potential trend develops as the season progresses.

SpongebobMaster

The Guy Who Reviews UHHHHH
Very fun and mysterious episode the only issue is the ending but i did find patrick mocking spongebob very funny

SpongebobMaster

The Guy Who Reviews UHHHHH
Very fun and mysterious episode the only issue is the ending but i did find patrick mocking spongebob very funny
What i said here is still my opinion
7/10
1. Suction Cup Symphony (10/10)
2. Krabby Road (9.5/10)
3. Not Normal (9.5/10)
4. House Fancy (9/10)
5. Spongicus (7.5/10)
6. Gone (7/10)
7. Penny Foolish (6.5/10)
8. Nautical Novice (4.5/10)
Boy it sure is looking solid! i sure hope no horrible episode comes next!

Back