104a. Not Normal

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
Not Normal is appropriately named, yeah it is not normal for season 6. I really like how weird SpongeBob is with this, it is great to see him act like it. Very creative how he tried to stop being normal, and then tries with Patrick. Also, krabby patties being paper is genius. It can really appeal to anyone, not just little kids like post-movie kinda feels like, and that's what really makes it stand out.

I liked this one. It's always interesting to see the characters act the complete opposite. It's not the funniest episode in the world, but it's got some decent jokes, and I find myself rewatching this one.

Ranking so far:
1. Krabby Road (A)
2. Not Normal (A)
3. Suction Cup Symphony (A)
4. House Fancy (C)
5. Spongicus (C)
6. Nautical Novice (C)
7. Penny Foolish (D)

CheeseCrocker

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Not one of my favorite season 6 episodes, but it's quite memorable, probably because of normal spongebob. It has a decently funny and creative plot, even if it's kind of slow-paced.

Great Episode (8/10)

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
I enjoy this one. The plot is really good, and it's one of the more entertaining episodes of the season so far. Something about seeing Spongebob be normal is just very charming to me. It did feel slow at times, which did prevent this episode from getting an even higher rating, but in terms of season 6 episodes, this one is amazing.

Good episode (8/10)

1. Not Normal (8)

2. House Fancy (6)
3. Krabby Road (6)
4. Spongicus (5)
5. Nautical Novice (5)
6. Suction Cup Symphony (5)
7. Penny Foolish (4)

GlitchyGoomba

Bomb-Selling Pirate
This is a prime example of a gem hidden under a pile of garbage. I really enjoyed the concept of Spongebob changing his personality in order to stop annoying Squidward, and it's done excellently. He brings his normality everywhere he goes, and actually ends up harming everyone in the process, so he enlists the help of Patrick to change him back, in a pretty fun and creative sequence of them trying different methods. Unfortunately it doesn't pay off, but it leads to the best part of the episode, the ending. The twist of Squidward's uncanny expression changing Spongebob back just makes sense.

Last edited:

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
This one is good but if Normal Squid didnt appear it would have been great!

Rating: Good Episode

Rankings:
Suction Cup Symphony (Perfect)
Krabby Road (Amazing)
Nautical Novice (Great)
Not Normal (Good)
Spongicus (Good)
Penny Foolish (Meh)
House Fancy (Bad)

C3SCF4BR3G4S

Baby Clam
The thing I absolutely love about this episode is the message that it leaves: normalness is boring. This kind of episodes where they criticise something about the real world but in the SpongeBob way are my favourites, 9.25/10.

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
“Not Normal” is such an interesting episode. I think it’s so interesting to me because of how it takes a very core aspect of the show, SpongeBob’s oddities and weirdness, and removes that. Obviously this is on purpose because it’s the entire plot of the episode, so I don’t mean this in a bad way at all. In fact, I think it’s cool that the episode did this because it makes it that much more unique. And that’s kind of ironic, because while I don’t think this episode is forgotten by any means, it definitely isn’t talked about with much frequency, though I think that might be because its sister episode gets all the attention, and understandably so. But I’ll cover that episode tomorrow. Right now, we’re focusing on “Not Normal”.

SpongeBob in the first scene of this episode is cute, running around and just enjoying his morning. Also in this first scene, I realize pretty quickly that this episode is lowkey an allegory for the experiences of the neurodiverse. I mean it’s a storyline that can relate to anyone, but especially in SpongeBob’s crushing realization that he’s not “normal” I can see me and my ADHD-having self, so that’s pretty cool of this episode. This is made even more apparent in the “journey into normality” videotape SpongeBob watches (which I have many other soapbox thoughts about but I’ve already gotten on one so I’ll refrain). The tape reminds me a lot of the joke from “Doing Time”, which also makes me think this is a commentary on capitalism but that’s yet another soapbox I won’t be getting on today (that’s like 3 soapboxes so far lmao). Anyway, I love how lowkey creepy the videotape is, with the guy having that constant smile and only a name tag for his personal belongings.

Because this episode takes away SpongeBob’s weirdness (or really just morphs it into a different form, because “normal” Spongebob is quite weird), this episode has a very odd quality to it, like something is off. But unlike an episode like “SpongeHenge”, we know what exactly is “off” here, just from the first scene of SpongeBob acting “normal”. Tom Kenny did a really great job at making SpongeBob sound so off-putting here, removing all enthusiasm from his voice. SpongeBob turning his fry cook job into an office job is pretty funny to me, and its also rife full of commentary, especially once we see him start to print Krabby Patties (and once it backfires). Reminds me a lot of “Selling Out”. The “normal-field” Pineapple House is really neat looking too, and I love how Squidward does a whole slap-take. SpongeBob’s slow design change is pretty cool too, it’s so silly looking.

When Normal-Bob meets Patrick, I just want to say that I totally noticed the music from Krusty Krab Training Video in the background. And in more relevant commentary, I like how this interaction was kind of like a reverse of “Patrick SmartPants”, but not completely, since SpongeBob is acting “normal” not like a genius. And I love how just like Patrick in that episode, SpongeBob starts roasting Squidward over lacking the new quality he now has LMAO. And then I like how SpongeBob struggles to get back to the way he used to be, having to go to Patrick for tutelage (which calls to mind that part I liked from “Stanley S. SquarePants”). The montage of SpongeBob trying to act weird again was entertaining as well, and I like how it actually didn’t end up working in the end.

The ending of this episode is great, with the “normal” Squidward scaring SpongeBob back to his old self, I thought that was a pretty great brick joke. And “normal” Squidward does look quite…odd. I wonder how they ended up bringing him back. I feel like that's something I do a lot, wonder about what happens outside of the "camera", especially because this show is episodic.

“Not Normal” was a fun little episode with some surprisingly serious social commentary, which I appreciated. The episode is not particularly funny, but it is very fun to watch and I enjoy it all the way through, and the plot is pretty interesting. I feel like it's underrated, or at least it lacks acknowledgement, which is sad to see.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9.1/10

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
“Not Normal” is such an interesting episode. I think it’s so interesting to me because of how it takes a very core aspect of the show, SpongeBob’s oddities and weirdness, and removes that. Obviously this is on purpose because it’s the entire plot of the episode, so I don’t mean this in a bad way at all. In fact, I think it’s cool that the episode did this because it makes it that much more unique. And that’s kind of ironic, because while I don’t think this episode is forgotten by any means, it definitely isn’t talked about with much frequency, though I think that might be because its sister episode gets all the attention, and understandably so. But I’ll cover that episode tomorrow. Right now, we’re focusing on “Not Normal”.

SpongeBob in the first scene of this episode is cute, running around and just enjoying his morning. Also in this first scene, I realize pretty quickly that this episode is lowkey an allegory for the experiences of the neurodiverse. I mean it’s a storyline that can relate to anyone, but especially in SpongeBob’s crushing realization that he’s not “normal” I can see me and my ADHD-having self, so that’s pretty cool of this episode. This is made even more apparent in the “journey into normality” videotape SpongeBob watches (which I have many other soapbox thoughts about but I’ve already gotten on one so I’ll refrain). The tape reminds me a lot of the joke from “Doing Time”, which also makes me think this is a commentary on capitalism but that’s yet another soapbox I won’t be getting on today (that’s like 3 soapboxes so far lmao). Anyway, I love how lowkey creepy the videotape is, with the guy having that constant smile and only a name tag for his personal belongings.

Because this episode takes away SpongeBob’s weirdness (or really just morphs it into a different form, because “normal” Spongebob is quite weird), this episode has a very odd quality to it, like something is off. But unlike an episode like “SpongeHenge”, we know what exactly is “off” here, just from the first scene of SpongeBob acting “normal”. Tom Kenny did a really great job at making SpongeBob sound so off-putting here, removing all enthusiasm from his voice. SpongeBob turning his fry cook job into an office job is pretty funny to me, and its also rife full of commentary, especially once we see him start to print Krabby Patties (and once it backfires). Reminds me a lot of “Selling Out”. The “normal-field” Pineapple House is really neat looking too, and I love how Squidward does a whole slap-take. SpongeBob’s slow design change is pretty cool too, it’s so silly looking.

When Normal-Bob meets Patrick, I just want to say that I totally noticed the music from Krusty Krab Training Video in the background. And in more relevant commentary, I like how this interaction was kind of like a reverse of “Patrick SmartPants”, but not completely, since SpongeBob is acting “normal” not like a genius. And I love how just like Patrick in that episode, SpongeBob starts roasting Squidward over lacking the new quality he now has LMAO. And then I like how SpongeBob struggles to get back to the way he used to be, having to go to Patrick for tutelage (which calls to mind that part I liked from “Stanley S. SquarePants”). The montage of SpongeBob trying to act weird again was entertaining as well, and I like how it actually didn’t end up working in the end.

The ending of this episode is great, with the “normal” Squidward scaring SpongeBob back to his old self, I thought that was a pretty great brick joke. And “normal” Squidward does look quite…odd. I wonder how they ended up bringing him back. I feel like that's something I do a lot, wonder about what happens outside of the "camera", especially because this show is episodic.

“Not Normal” was a fun little episode with some surprisingly serious social commentary, which I appreciated. The episode is not particularly funny, but it is very fun to watch and I enjoy it all the way through, and the plot is pretty interesting. I feel like it's underrated, or at least it lacks acknowledgement, which is sad to see.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score: 9.1/10
this episode feels like it came from season 5, not season 6 even that annoying blur isnt here

this could've been a S5 holdover

Sara SquarePants

Lover of Spongie
An allegory for disabilities

SpongeBob and Patrick represent neuro-divergents

Bikini Bottomites represent neuro-typicals

Does this prove without a shadow of a doubt that SpongeBob SquarePants has ADHD and/or autism?

SpongebobMaster

The Guy Who Reviews UHHHHH
(OLD REVIEW) Wow this feels like a season 4 episode this feels like the TRUE sister episode to patricksmartpants not squidbob tentacle pants this episode is just as good as that episode if not a bit better love this episode 10/10

Last edited:

SpongebobMaster

The Guy Who Reviews UHHHHH
Ok so i really like this one like i said it reminds me of other previous episodes (breath of fresh squidward and patrick smartpants) i guess a issue i have its that its not funny but there was a lot of joke and it shows how being normal is overrated
9.5/10
1. Suction Cup Symphony (10/10)
2. Krabby Road (9.5/10)
3. Not Normal (9.5/10)
4.House Fancy (9/10)
5. Spongicus (7.5/10)
6 Penny Foolish (6.5/10)
7. Nautical Novice (4.5/10)

Back