103a. Spongicus

CJO5050

Floating Shopping List
IMO, "Spongicus" is the second best episode of Season 6, next to its sister episode, "Suction Cup Symphony". Interestingly, Richard Pursel wrote both of these episodes. Overall, I would give it a strong 9 out of 10.

SquiddlyPie

random gal
It was good for me, I liked some of the funny quotes that this episode had....BTW am I the only one that thinks the ending was kind of awkward / weird?? Haha, it didn't annoy me though....Some scenes I liked were Plankton serving his Chum Sticks to people and people be like ''Oh, it's terrible'' and then he was like ''EATTTT ITTT'' :P , or like Plankton wearing this ancient Rome costume (wish there was an Ancient Greek episode , since I am Greek...So I'd preffered something Ancient Greek than Rome...so I guess that's something I didn't like about that episode..), Patrick wearing the sausage necklace on himself was funny too....Also, the SpongeBob logic worked here good as well , and by that I mean the Sea Lion being treated like a kitten with the sausages and also being wild respectively...Pretty much that's my post for this episode, 7.5/10

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
This episode had a great atmosphere with the whole ancient roman theme and I think there were enough funny jokes to make this work. I liked a lot of Plankton's shenanigans in this episode.

7.5/10

Love this episode also. I thought it was funny and the whole ancient Rome concept was very well executed with underwater characters. I feel there was a lot of creativity with this episode and even the ending is funny, so I think this is an all-around awesome episode!

This is an episode I haven't seen in a while, but from what I can remember, it's pretty bland. It's not a bad concept, but I would have liked to see more.

Ranking so far:
1. Krabby Road (A)
2. House Fancy (C)
3. Spongicus (C)
4. Nautical Novice (C)
5. Penny Foolish (D)

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
This episode is just full of wasted potential imo. The Roman theme is cool, but too much time was spent on random shenanigans and lame jokes rather than the actual action, which is this episode's biggest downfall. There were some good ideas, but the execution is just eh in my opinion.

Average episode (5/10)

1. House Fancy (6)
2. Krabby Road (6)
3. Spongicus (5)
4. Nautical Novice (5)
5. Penny Foolish (4)

GlitchyGoomba

Bomb-Selling Pirate
The episode just feels like a worse version of Dunces and Dragons, and although it might seem like an unfair comparison, it is accurate. Both of the episodes involve some sort of historical setting, and whereas Dunces and Dragons featured an epic plot with tons of memorable quotes and jokes, Spongicus focuses too much on random shenanigans to come up with good plot elements or resolutions. The whole thing feels very forgettable, when there should've been more going on. There were good concepts in here, but the execution is pretty lacking.

Squidwardiard

Frozen Cephalopod
It seems like Plankton flirts with a customer for a second in this episode haha

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
I kinda like this one. Its fun and had some funny jokes. Also SB worrying about Patrick was really nice of him!

Rating: Good Episode

Rankings:
Krabby Road (Amazing)
Nautical Novice (Great)
Spongicus (Good)
Penny Foolish (Meh)
House Fancy (Bad)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Coming up next, we've got "Spongicus". This episode gives me…I don't know what to call it. It's not quite nostalgia but something close. Not really sure. I’m thinking it’s because the ending of the episode is super memorable, and a common reaction meme I find myself using. I also just really like the vibes of this episode, the unique plot and atmosphere makes it stand out a bit. Also, I guess I’ll just note it up here, but I liked the animation in this episode, or at least the art. I don't know, I just really liked the character models in this one…they were very Round.

The beginning of this episode is bizarre in the best way, with SpongeBob singing randomly before exaggeratedly spotting something that we can’t see, which leads into a pretty funny joke with SpongeBob calling Mr. Krabs on a pay phone, even though they’re in the same building. I also like that this first segment really builds intrigue as Plankton demolishes his own restaurant and puts up a coliseum. Now that I’m thinking about it, is this episode meant to reference Medieval Times at all? Because personally I think a gladiator fight would be boring as H but that’s just me. I also don’t wanna see someone get killed while I eat either?? Anyway, I love the way Plankton struggles to get the attention of everyone else before just saying that it’s free, because that’s really the way to get anyone to do anything. And of course because this gladiator show is free, Mr. Krabs loses all his customers. I love how seriously Krabs takes this offense, and the bit about his mother’s grave is hilarious, especially when she turns out to be at the Krusty Krab.

The whole segment of the episode taking place at the coliseum is just simply enjoyable, not much to it. I like the surprise Patrick appearance we get, kind of like “House Fancy”, though he’s more plot-relevant here. And when Patrick is revealed, I like the resolution to the buildup between SpongeBob and Squidward we get when their reactions are completely switched. I really love how SpongeBob immediately jumped up in there to save Patrick. His heroics are enjoyable and wholesome. The absolute viciousness of the crowd here is also pretty fun, and not even surprising given “The Great Snail Race”. I also like that Mr. Krabs’ mother was utilized again in this segment, and the whole part between Plankton and the woman was great. Another thing I liked about this part of the episode was just how…cartoonish it was. And by that I mean it invoked some very iconic cartoon tropes, such as Plankton’s Roadrunner-esque run, or the part where the Lionfish breaks through the wall.

And then of course we have the ending of the episode, which was a great deconstruction of the usual ”everybody laughs” ending trope (which y’all should know by now that I’m a sucker for that). I love that the collective laughing is caused by Mr. Krabs being such a greedy scoundrel, and I love that Squidward gets involved for no reason. Really just masterful comedy work here.

To sum it all up, “Spongicus” was simply an enjoyable episode. There were some real stand-out jokes here, even if the episode as a whole wasn’t particularly funny. I really have nothing bad to say about this episode at all. I guess it felt a little subdued, like the SpongeBob and Patrick chase didn’t really go anywhere, but I think it’s just fine as it is.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9.1/10

spongie33

Sad Squidward Expert
Staff
I think this was a really good episode. 8.5/10

SpongebobMaster

Dollarbob enjoyer
One of the more forgotten "specials" it was advertised as a special but it wasn't really a special like shangheid still was paired with another (much better) episode did it deserve to be a special and get its own dvd? absolutely not! was it a good episde? Yes! very solid!
7.5/10
1.Krabby Road (9.5/10)
2.House Fancy (9/10)
3. Spongicus (7.5/10)
3. Penny Foolish (6.5/10)
4. Nautical Novice (4.5/10)

Back