102a. Penny Foolish

Ol Bold and Brash

Hu Tao stan
I'll be honest to say this episode very overhated I actually like it I found many parts funny (like Mr Krabs screaming when the moon turned into a penny) and I also liked the part when SpongeBob found the bill (which look like a penny for some odd reason)

Grade:9/10

Best Character:Maybe SpongeBob

Best Line: I GOTTA HAVE THAT PENNYYYY

Baloo

I GAVE YOU A JOB!
This episode is bad. Mr. Krabs was way too greedy here, and him being greedy is pretty much the entire episode. Also, read the plot. All it is is Mr. Krabs being annoying, overly greedy, and downright over-the-top in a bad way, stalking Spongebob for a
image.jpg

SquiddlyPie

random gal
For me this episode is OK, I don't like the ending, it's boring and pointless...the rest is funny because I like how crazy Mr.Krabs is for a quarter :P, he sure loves money, the scene at the Krusty Krab (when Mr.Krabs did a show so SpongeBob will give a penny ) was HILARIOUS I couldn't stop laughing...I will give it a 7/10

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Still not a good episode but I still don't think this is the worst of season 6 or anything, the plot execution is bad and a number of jokes just don't work but there's some great stuff like Mr. Krabs' slideshow and people seeing Mr. Krabs jabber like a dolphin that at least give this episode some humor compared to some of season 6's other abominations. Also I think it's kinda hypocritical how people get so mad about Mr. Krabs being obsessive over a penny. Am I the only one who sees irony in that? The characters have done a lot worse, but I agree the execution of the plot was bad.

5/10

CakeCup

Facing the BSOD
I actually thought that this was an OK episode. I actually laughed at a few parts, like when everything turned into pennies and when SpongeBob thought that Squidward looked beautiful. I don't think that it was the worst of season 6, but it still has a few flaws. The episode dragged in some parts, the ending is boring and was mostly comprised of filler, and the plot was poorly executed. A few jokes didn't really work for me, but at least I can see some effort put into them. I have to say that Krabs was OOC, but not in a way that completely ruins the episode. I've seen worse from that red crustacean. All in all, not a good episode, but it has some funny moments that make it watchable and even a bit enjoyable. 6.5/10

kingseye423

Flying Dutchman's Sock
Oy, this episode. It doesn't bother me as much when I first saw it, especially since there are other episodes where Mr K's behavior is worse, but what he did was freakin' cruel. Just meh. 4.1/10

spongebranch

Banished
It was OK but my favorite part was when Mr. Krabs screamed seeing the moon as a penny, which I can't even stop laughing at and have as my avatar as i'm typing this. I also laughed at when Mr. Krabs saw everything circular as a penny leading up to said scene, and when Mr. Krabs screamed when SpongeBob said "but I don't have a penny", especially combined with the music, which for me, is quite relatable. I also liked it when SpongeBob said "The thing I found was a bright shiny new day!" because it's relatable for some people. What I DIDN'T like was how Mr. Krabs went insane over that one penny he saw SpongeBob had yet SpongeBob doesn't even remember having one even though what he picked up was clearly copper and small like a penny even though Mr. Krabs ironically has BILLIONS OF DOLLARS and doesn't even need that penny.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I GOTTA HAVE THAT PENNNYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!

5/10

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
I don't really like this one, it makes sense, but it feels very lazy. PGR even pointed out how they didn't even show the penny originally, and just instead showed two clips back to back that are the exact same. Also, really ruined a nice moment when we saw Mr. Krabs digging right outside SpongeBob's house. Really thought it was a good moment, feels like one of the first flops of Season 6.

I thought it was BAD: 2.2/10

I love the joke where the fish call Mr. Krabs "fat" but that's about the only time I laughed. Yeah this one didn't thrill me. The plot was weak, the ending makes no sense, and did they really have to show that one scene twice?

Ranking so far:
1. Krabby Road (A)
2. House Fancy (C)
3. Penny Foolish (D)

CheeseCrocker

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Very amusing episode. There were some jokes, but the overall episode is simply very amusing. Mr. Krabs going crazy for a penny is honestly brilliant and leads to a entertaining plot. While I do think the ending joke was kind of rushed, the rest of this episode is entertaining.

Good Episode (7.5/10)

Rex

Floating Shopping List
:p
I would rather eat 50 century eggs than watch this mess again, although it isn't the worst episode of Season 6 bottom 7 for sure and certainly a bottom 20 episode. This episode makes Krabs tighter than a 800lb man in a XS T Shirt. He is so tight in this episode all for a god damn penny. This episode has one good joke, the fat guy joke. Everything else in this episode is broken, The reused animation the opening the ending, you think its gonna be good because Krabs learns his lesson. NOPE, he goes out and starts digging. For a while this was my least favorite episode ever, and Jesus it is not much better now. How a season only 3 episodes in can make something this bad is beyond me, I despise this one and although I think there are worse I think I hold a bigger grudge to this one just because this one just makes me so mad.

102a Penny Foolish ABYSMAL 2/10. I think this may be an odd one to call one of the worst but hey opinions are beautiful like that :p

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
This one is pretty stupid. The execution is pretty bad, as well as the pacing. Some of the scenes were so slow and tedious that it became painful to watch at times. The ending also makes no sense, and did a really bad job at wrapping things up. Besides the occasionally funny moment here and there, like Mr. Krabs making the dolphin noises, this episode really has nothing going for it.

Bad episode (4/10)

1. House Fancy (6)
2. Krabby Road (6)
3. Penny Foolish (4)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
Meh thats all I can say. The jokes were funny but if that ending didnt exist my opinion would have been 7/10 and Mr Krabs' "I GOTTA GET THAT PENNY!" and the scene where Mr Krabs was called "fat" was pretty funny also did i ever mention that the plot is so lame?

Rating: Meh Episode

Rankings:
Krabby Road (Amazing)
Penny Foolish (Meh)
House Fancy (Bad)

Last edited:

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
For my final episode of today, we've got "Penny Foolish". Rewatching this episode made me realize that in season 6, we saw Plankton before we saw Mr. Krabs, and that’s pretty interesting to me. Looks like this episode is here to rectify that though. It also makes me think about how so far, we haven’t started a single episode with SpongeBob (and that it actually takes a few minutes to even see SpongeBob in each of these episodes), so that’s also an interesting little trend. And hey, I have no complaints about that second one, because following other characters, or letting them take the lead, means more kinds of plots, which means more interesting and unique material.

After doing a very brief read-through of some of the comments above mine, I have come to realize that perhaps my opinions on this episode are about to be unpopular, so that's fun for me. Nothing crazy unpopular though. I didn't read much of the substance of my fellow forum-goers comments, but if I had to guess I’d say people would argue that this episode is evidence of Mr. Krabs’ “flanderization” (a term I don’t like because it is overused to hell and back). And to that I say bull****. Now, I am definitely making up an argument to get mad at here because again I haven’t really looked at other people’s comments, but I’m just saying that if that is a comment, it’s bull. Because the Mr. Krabs of seasons 1, 2, 3, he would absolutely act this way. We have all seen “Imitation Krabs”, right? Or even “Born Again Krabs”???

The beginning scene of this episode is pretty entertaining with some funny moments in there. I love how completely done the cashier is, because that’s a mood right there. And of course this episode gets moving quite quickly with Mr. Krabs witnessing SpongeBob do…something weird. Honestly this bit kinda dragged and the fact that we come to see it multiple times really doesn’t help. But anyway, I like how Mr. Krabs slowly grows more and more insane about this penny. It reminds me a lot of “Squeaky Boots” and it’s really enjoyable to watch. When the moon turns into a penny I just start laughing, what a lovely rule of three. Mr. Krabs being super faux-cheery with a side of creepy at the Krusty Krab is great too. I also loved Squidward’s brief appearance here in this first bit at the Krusty Krab, his utter done-ness is just a hilarious reaction to everything. But anyway, back to Mr. K, I just love how crazy he is over this penny, literally shaking down SpongeBob over it, which leads to a pretty entertaining chase scene with SpongeBob’s brain.

Moving on, Mr. Krabs’ attempts to get a penny from SpongeBob get more and more absurd and entertaining, and that’s one thing this episode does well, escalation. The theater is a pretty funny idea, especially when you think of how much money it must have taken to make the dang theater…a lot more than a penny, that’s for sure. And I think that just goes to show, in a pretty humorous way, that Mr. Krabs doesn’t even care about the money in terms of adding to his bank account, but he cares about having all the money he sees. He saw that penny but he didn’t get it, so now he’s obsessed with it. Pretty smart writing, I’d say. I love the recurring gag of Mr. Krabs sounding like a dolphin too. Mr. Krabs’ dramatic reaction after SpongeBob once again says he doesn’t have a penny is great, and I love how he just demolishes the theater.

The next attempt, the charity night, is probably my favorite because of how hilariously solemn Mr. Krabs is in recounting his “great cause”. Clancy Brown really went off here ngl (after watching John Wick 4 I’m on a Clancy Brown hype train. I mean I’ve seen him in other stuff before but like I’m back on the hype train). And I love thinking of just how he managed to rope Squidward into this thing too. Squidward is another highlight of this episode for sure. Anyway, I love how dramatic SpongeBob ends up being too, crying about not having a penny, and I love the visuals of Mr. Krabs losing his eyes and screaming after once again being foiled.

By this point, Mr. Krabs has completely lost it, surveilling SpongeBob’s house while muttering crazily, before just breaking in. Mr. Krabs going loony is super entertaining to me. And then we get a Gary appearance which of course I’m going to note because that’s my GOAT, which then leads to the final resolution of the episode with Mr. Krabs finally confessing. I love how Gary warily looks at Mr. Krabs for the rest of the scene too, that was a nice touch. But anyway, the reveal that the penny was just a simple gum wrapper was fun, and I like how it kind of touched on the real psychological phenomenon of false memories (although Mr. Krabs did initially mistake the gum wrapper for a penny, color and all, in the first place, which really just goes to show the top-down influence on perception and oh my god let me stop now LMAO). And then of course we get the final little stinger that the gum wrapper was actually $500, and that Mr. Krabs still couldn’t let go of his obsession, digging holes around SpongeBob’s house.

Well so far, season 6 is just the season of enjoyable episodes lol, because “Penny Foolish” is just another really enjoyable episode. Though, it’s definitely the best out of the 3 I’ve reviewed so far (which is definitely an unpopular opinion). This episode is just super funny, but I mean Mr. Krabs dramatics are usually a foolproof source of humor so that’s not too surprising. And everyone in this episode was really at their A-game. SpongeBob was perfectly oblivious and unwitting while also playing along nicely with the drama, Mr. Krabs I’ve already explained (he carried the episode on his back with his descent into lunacy), and Squidward provided some really great snark and deadpan humor. So just all sorts of good here. And that’s why “Penny Foolish” will be the first episode of season 6 to reach “Amazing”, congrats to this episode!

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score: 9.3/10

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
For my final episode of today, we've got "Penny Foolish". Rewatching this episode made me realize that in season 6, we saw Plankton before we saw Mr. Krabs, and that’s pretty interesting to me. Looks like this episode is here to rectify that though. It also makes me think about how so far, we haven’t started a single episode with SpongeBob (and that it actually takes a few minutes to even see SpongeBob in each of these episodes), so that’s also an interesting little trend. And hey, I have no complaints about that second one, because following other characters, or letting them take the lead, means more kinds of plots, which means more interesting and unique material.

After doing a very brief read-through of some of the comments above mine, I have come to realize that perhaps my opinions on this episode are about to be unpopular, so that's fun for me. Nothing crazy unpopular though. I didn't read much of the substance of my fellow forum-goers comments, but if I had to guess I’d say people would argue that this episode is evidence of Mr. Krabs’ “flanderization” (a term I don’t like because it is overused to hell and back). And to that I say bull****. Now, I am definitely making up an argument to get mad at here because again I haven’t really looked at other people’s comments, but I’m just saying that if that is a comment, it’s bull. Because the Mr. Krabs of seasons 1, 2, 3, he would absolutely act this way. We have all seen “Imitation Krabs”, right? Or even “Born Again Krabs”???

The beginning scene of this episode is pretty entertaining with some funny moments in there. I love how completely done the cashier is, because that’s a mood right there. And of course this episode gets moving quite quickly with Mr. Krabs witnessing SpongeBob do…something weird. Honestly this bit kinda dragged and the fact that we come to see it multiple times really doesn’t help. But anyway, I like how Mr. Krabs slowly grows more and more insane about this penny. It reminds me a lot of “Squeaky Boots” and it’s really enjoyable to watch. When the moon turns into a penny I just start laughing, what a lovely rule of three. Mr. Krabs being super faux-cheery with a side of creepy at the Krusty Krab is great too. I also loved Squidward’s brief appearance here in this first bit at the Krusty Krab, his utter done-ness is just a hilarious reaction to everything. But anyway, back to Mr. K, I just love how crazy he is over this penny, literally shaking down SpongeBob over it, which leads to a pretty entertaining chase scene with SpongeBob’s brain.

Moving on, Mr. Krabs’ attempts to get a penny from SpongeBob get more and more absurd and entertaining, and that’s one thing this episode does well, escalation. The theater is a pretty funny idea, especially when you think of how much money it must have taken to make the dang theater…a lot more than a penny, that’s for sure. And I think that just goes to show, in a pretty humorous way, that Mr. Krabs doesn’t even care about the money in terms of adding to his bank account, but he cares about having all the money he sees. He saw that penny but he didn’t get it, so now he’s obsessed with it. Pretty smart writing, I’d say. I love the recurring gag of Mr. Krabs sounding like a dolphin too. Mr. Krabs’ dramatic reaction after SpongeBob once again says he doesn’t have a penny is great, and I love how he just demolishes the theater.

The next attempt, the charity night, is probably my favorite because of how hilariously solemn Mr. Krabs is in recounting his “great cause”. Clancy Brown really went off here ngl (after watching John Wick 4 I’m on a Clancy Brown hype train. I mean I’ve seen him in other stuff before but like I’m back on the hype train). And I love thinking of just how he managed to rope Squidward into this thing too. Squidward is another highlight of this episode for sure. Anyway, I love how dramatic SpongeBob ends up being too, crying about not having a penny, and I love the visuals of Mr. Krabs losing his eyes and screaming after once again being foiled.

By this point, Mr. Krabs has completely lost it, surveilling SpongeBob’s house while muttering crazily, before just breaking in. Mr. Krabs going loony is super entertaining to me. And then we get a Gary appearance which of course I’m going to note because that’s my GOAT, which then leads to the final resolution of the episode with Mr. Krabs finally confessing. I love how Gary warily looks at Mr. Krabs for the rest of the scene too, that was a nice touch. But anyway, the reveal that the penny was just a simple gum wrapper was fun, and I like how it kind of touched on the real psychological phenomenon of false memories (although Mr. Krabs did initially mistake the gum wrapper for a penny, color and all, in the first place, which really just goes to show the top-down influence on perception and oh my god let me stop now LMAO). And then of course we get the final little stinger that the gum wrapper was actually $500, and that Mr. Krabs still couldn’t let go of his obsession, digging holes around SpongeBob’s house.

Well so far, season 6 is just the season of enjoyable episodes lol, because “Penny Foolish” is just another really enjoyable episode. Though, it’s definitely the best out of the 3 I’ve reviewed so far (which is definitely an unpopular opinion). This episode is just super funny, but I mean Mr. Krabs dramatics are usually a foolproof source of humor so that’s not too surprising. And everyone in this episode was really at their A-game. SpongeBob was perfectly oblivious and unwitting while also playing along nicely with the drama, Mr. Krabs I’ve already explained (he carried the episode on his back with his descent into lunacy), and Squidward provided some really great snark and deadpan humor. So just all sorts of good here. And that’s why “Penny Foolish” will be the first episode of season 6 to reach “Amazing”, congrats to this episode!

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score: 9.3/10
underrated masterpiece

SpongebobMaster

Dollarbob enjoyer
I tought it was meh i honestly liked the premise and loved how mr krabs went overboard! that was hillarious! but the thing spongebob picks up wasn't a penny honestly the first time mr krabs saw it he saw the green thing but when he imagines it its a penny! also the ending was pretty funny! but not a lot to call home about
6.5/10
1.Krabby Road (9.5/10)
2.House Fancy (9/10)
3. Penny Foolish (6.5/10)

Back