100b. Stanley S. SquarePants

Orange Rhymer

Imitation Krab
I don't really like this episode. Mostly because of Stanley. If the episode wants you to feel bad for Stanley, then they failed really badly. Has anyone ever said, "Awww, Stanley is so innocent. He has a good heart, but he just can't do anything right :("? Plus it's boring, 4/10.

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
Season: 5

Episode: Stanley S. SquarePants

This episode was bad. The plot was meh. It was interesting that the writers were adding a relative for Spongebob, but kinda an unlikeable one. I don't get it why people complain about the so called "Plankton abuse." Plankton is Krabs' enemy. And besides, Plankton often attacks Krabs too (most of the time he tries to steal the secret formula, but there are few expections where he threatens Krabs, or even tries to destroy the Krusty Krab). There were few funny jokes. 5/10

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
As good of a 100th episode as it is a season finale.

The humor is dry. Stanley really annoys me in this episode too, he's somewhat sympathetic but he isn't remotely interesting or funny.

4/10

Amiaprettygirl

I love the sponge! I need the sponge! ;)
Are we all just going to ignore the fact that they forgot to draw Spongebob's legs not once but twice!!Screenshot_2017-01-26-01-09-43-1.png
Or that Stanley took this costumers clothes?
Screenshot_2017-01-26-01-09-49-1.png

WayslideCool

You know what else is yellow? You are!
Unpopular opinion here but...

I kinda liked this episode. I can see why people wouldn't, but I don't know. I just think enough of the jokes hit for me, and I kinda liked Stanley, maybe because I could relate to him? I feel like I mess up a lot in life myself. I think he could've been developed a bit better, and SpongeBob snapping at the end was kinda out of nowhere, I wish we would've gotten a little extra buildup to that, but really, overall, I'd say it's a good episode. Not a great or fantastic episode, but one that I would willingly rewatch. Heck, I wouldn't even mind seeing Stanley return later on.

RATING: 7/10

So Stanley breaks everything he touches, isn't allowed to touch certain stuff, and drives his parents crazy? Well thanks for putting in a character who's exactly like me!

Final Ranking:
1. Krabs a la Mode (A+)
2. Roller Cowards (A+)
3. New Digs (A)
4. Bucket Sweet Bucket (A)
5. Blackjack (A)
6. The Krusty Plate (A)
7. Atlantis SquarePantis (A)
8. Spy Buddies (A)
9. Sing a Song of Patrick (A)
10. Friend or Foe (A)
11. SpongeBob vs. the Patty Gadget (A)
12. The Inmates of Summer (A)
13. The Battle of Bikini Bottom (B)
14. Money Talks (B)
15. Goo Goo Gas (B)
16. Picture Day (B)
17. Mermaid Man vs. SpongeBob (B)
18. The Krusty Sponge (B)
19. 20,000 Patties Under the Sea (B)
20. Boat Smarts (B)
21. Blackened Sponge (B)
22. Night Light (C)
23. Rise and Shine (C)
24. To Save a Squirrel (C)
25. The Donut of Shame (C)
26. The Two Faces of Squidward (C)
27. Pest of the West (C)
28. Slimy Dancing (C)
29. Le Big Switch (C)
30. Pat No Pay (C)
31. Banned in Bikini Bottom (C)
32. Fungus Among Us (D)
33. Stanley S. SquarePants (D)
34. The Original Fry Cook (D)
35. Good Ol' Whatshisname (D)
36. A Flea in Her Dome (D)
37. Breath of Fresh Squidward (E)
38. Waiting (E)
39. Whatever Happened to SpongeBob? (F)
40. To Love a Patty (F)
41. SpongeHenge (F-)

But now the fun really begins. Season 6, my least favorite season. It's not all bad, but I'm excited to tear it apart.

Rex

Floating Shopping List
Ill just be honest, I like this episode. The jokes are perfectly fine and they work, those relatives of characters gags are some of my favorite jokes in the show. The story is fairly iffy, Spongebob's cousin comes to visit and ruins everything, ehhhh that could really be improved on, maybe Stanley is just like Squidward and the two have too work together or maybe he gets a job at the Chum Bucket and the two compete with one another, kinda like Employee Of The Month but not really. Anyway what is good, Stanley S. Squarepants really I think he is honestly a good character, Christopher Guest gives a good performance and I don't really mind his destructive nature although he could certainly be improved. I don't see the point in complaining about this being the season finale because at least too me Season 2 was the last time an episode actually felt like a season finale, even with episodes I like Pranks A Lot, The Gift Of Gum and even this I think they are good but not season finales if that makes sense. However this being an 100th episode I think is more worthy of complaints, even Atlantis Squarepantis I think would be a more fitting season finale because it is a big adventure and also a TV movie even though it is pretty boring (4/10). Overall Stanley S. Squarepants is perfectly fine, on terms on the good scale it is IMO the worst of the good episodes so close to mediocre but still good, I also kinda relate to Stanley, I have Autism ADHD and Dyspraxia and believe me I have destroyed my fair few things in my time. Also this episode over Banned In Bikini Bottom any day of the week, that episode is trash at least to me.

100b Stanley S. Squarepants Good 7/10

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
I don't like this one. Stanley is a quite unlikable character in many regards, and ironically most of the scenes that I actually did like didn't feature him. There were a few good moments, but otherwise this is a completely boring and slow episode. The humor is super dry, and the only "joke" they can tell is Stanley destroying stuff, which isn't really funny in the first place. This episode is just a boring mess with no direction whatsoever.

Bad episode (4/10)

1. Roller Cowards (10)
2. Spy Buddies (9)
3. Spongebob vs. the Patty Gadget (8)
4. The Krusty Plate (8)
5. The Two Faces of Squidward (8)
6. Friend or Foe (8)
7. Krabs à La Mode (8)
8. Sing a Song of Patrick (8)
9. The Krusty Sponge (7)
10. Goo Goo Gas (7)
11. Pest of the West (7)
12. Blackened Sponge (7)
13. New Digs (7)
14. Mermaidman vs. Spongebob (7)
15. Bucket Sweet Bucket (7)
16. The Battle of Bikini Bottom (7)
17. Picture Day (6)
18. Money Talks (6)
19. Blackjack (6)
20. The Donut of Shame (6)
21. The Inmates of Summer (6)
22. Night Light (5)
23. Boat Smarts (5)
24. Rise and Shine (5)
25. 20,000 Patties Under The Sea (5)
26. To Save a Squirrel (5)
27. Slimy Dancing (5)
28. Breath of Fresh Squidward (5)
29. The Original Fry Cook (5)
30. Spongehenge (5)
31. Le Big Switch (4)
32. Banned in Bikini Bottom (4)
33. Good Ol' Whatshisname (4)
34. Stanley S. SquarePants (4)
35. Pat No Pay (4)
36. A Flea in Her Dome (4)
37. What Ever Happened to Spongebob? (3)
38. To Love A Patty (3)
39. Waiting (3)
40. Atlantis Squarepantis (3)
41. Fungus Among Us (2)

And that's season 5. I'll probably review season 4 or 6 next, so stay tuned for that I guess.

Last edited:

kevin_emery

Imitation Krab
I actually really love this episode and Stanley is one of my favorite characters in the show, but I guess I can understand why so many people dislike it.

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
I dont know why like this episode i just do.

Rating: Great Episode

Rankings:
Roller Cowards (Perfect)
The Two Faces of Squidward (Perfect)
Friend or Foe (Perfect)
Mermaid Man Vs. SpongeBob (Perfect)
Goo Goo Gas (Amazing!)
Spy Buddies (Amazing!)
SpongeBob Vs. The Patty Gadget (Amazing!)
20,000 Patties Under the Sea (Amazing!)
Atlantis SquarePantis (Great)
Sing a Song of Patrick (Great)
Bucket Sweet Bucket (Great)
Krab a la Mode (Great)
The Donut of Shame (Great)
Slimy Dancing (Great)
BlackJack (Great)
Picture Day (Great)
Breath of Fresh Squidward (Great)
Stanley S. SquarePants (Great)
Banned in Bikini Bottom (Great)
Rise and Shine (Great)
The Krusty Plate (Great)
Le Big Switch (Great)
Pest of the West (Good)
Boat Smarts (Meh)
A Flea in her Dome (Meh)
Fungus Among Us (Meh)
Night Light (Alright)
SpongeHenge (Okay)
The Krusty Sponge (Okay)
The Original Fry Cook (Okay)
New Digs (Okay)
The Inmates of Summer (Okay)
To Save a Squirrel (Okay)
Good Ol' Whathisname (Bad)
Money Talks (Bad)
Blackened Sponge (Bad)
The Battle of Bikini Bottom (Bad)
Pat No Pay (Horrible)
WhoBob WhatPants (aka Whatever Happened to SpongeBob) (Terrible)
To Love a Patty (Terrible)
Waiting (Terrible)

And season 5 has been finished i cant wait to watch season 6 (obvious sarcasm)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
For our last review of season 5, and wow can’t believe we’re already here, we’ve got “Stanley S. SquarePants”, an episode that continues (and ends) season 5’s trend of exploring SpongeBob’s family. I thought that was a pretty neat thread in some of these episodes, it's nice to meet more characters and learn more about this world. But anyway, let's get focused on this one family member, shall we?

This episode basically hits the ground running with Stanley being introduced like…10 seconds into it, in a pretty funny way. Once we learn why Stanley was sent to SpongeBob’s house, though, it’s pretty easy to guess what exactly the rest of this episode is going to be about. I think it’s funny that SpongeBob is seen as a responsible adult by at least one member of his family though. And that is one nice thing about this episode, that we’re leaning fully into the “SpongeBob is an adult” side of the line, which as we all know is my favorite side of the line. Another thing I like about this episode is SpongeBob’s pride in working at the Krusty Krab. His photo wall is so wholesome, and it feels a lot like the credits of The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie.

One weakness of this episode is our eponymous character. He’s not even that annoying, it’s just that he keeps causing problems without having much of a character outside of that. Like he’s not funny or witty or anything, he’s kind of just a SpongeBob-Patrick hybrid without any of their charm. Speaking of reminders of other things, this episode feels a lot like “Big Pink Loser”, but again with less charm. Actually it’s kind of funny that this episode is like that one, given the whole scene with Patrick about learning from the master of doing nothing. And that scene with Patrick is good (I love how haughty he is) until Stanley tries to do nothing, then it just gets boring, predictable, and I get weird vibes from it (given how ADHD-coded Stanley is in that scene…yeah I’m not even gonna get started on that one). Stanley at the Krusty Krab is also…not great. I’ll talk about this more later though.

There’s lots of good in this episode though, such as some really funny moments. Like Squidward’s reaction to meeting Stanley is absolutely hilarious and gets me dying laughing every time, definitely the most memorable part of the episode outside of the ending. And the incident with Sandy was pretty funny. The way SpongeBob unwittingly roasts Stanley during the bit before the Krusty Krab was amusing as well (thank god Stanley’s crying was not super annoying). I also really liked the joke with Mr. Krabs’ nephews. There are also some neat writing things in this episode too. I liked that SpongeBob had some conflict in this episode about recommending Stanley to work at the Krusty Krab, because he’s seen Stanley’s incompetence and bad luck in action, and he doesn’t want that to infect his sacred place, but also he wants to help Stanley and doesn’t want to hurt him. So I appreciated the inclusion of that because it made the episode more interesting.

What I didn’t like about that conflict, though, was SpongeBob taking the blame for Stanley’s actions. Yes, it was a natural outgrowth of that plot thread, but it wasn’t pleasant to watch because we know none of these things are SpongeBob’s fault, and y’all know I hate to see the little square dude lose. I think what makes it worse is Stanley’s reaction…he’s not grateful at all and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and just makes him seem like a jerk when the episode had previously made him seem just fine. But it’s when SpongeBob starts covering for Stanley more explicitly, and Mr. Krabs starts crediting Stanley and blaming SpongeBob, that things start moving in a much more unpleasant direction for me. First off, this is like the 3rd episode of something like this happening, and so I'm feeling all the unpleasant feelings I felt in "The Original Fry Cook" or "Breath of Fresh Squidward", which is not a good look.

The ending of this episode helps things out immensely though. First off, it’s very gratifying to see SpongeBob finally lose it after his spatula is broken and Mr. Krabs blames him for it. And secondly, it’s also satisfying to see Stanley’s horrendous abilities be put to a use that benefits everyone (except Plankton and Karen), blowing up the Chum Bucket. It’s a nice end to the episode, especially with the great track Kalua Jubilee backing it.

“Stanley S. SquarePants” is…all over the place, honestly. It starts out good, then gets annoying, then gets good again, then annoying, then alright, then really unpleasant, and finally ends really well. It’s hard to rate episodes like this because it’s hard to form a cohesive opinion about episodes like this. But keeping everything in mind, I’d say this episode fits just barely in my “Good” tier. The frustration I feel throughout the episode is resolved nicely by the end, so I’m hardly even considering that aspect (although it is part of this because I still don’t like feeling frustrated). But the main reason this episode is going in that tier is because the episode is funny but not very funny, and it also has a few dull moments. But it’s honestly impressive how much the episode gets my opinions changing, because at some parts I was fully prepared to put this episode in “Okay” and maybe even “Mediocre”, but here it is, just barely up in “Good”. Not a strong ending to season 5, but not a bad one either.

Episode Tier: Good
Episode Score:
7/10

Well, that’s the end of season 5! Season overview will go up tomorrow, as per usual, and then I'll jump right into things in April as we begin season 6, because that season has 47 episode segments which is the longest so far, so...we're just going to see how that goes. I'll get 'em all done though, you can guarantee that.

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
Well, that’s the end of season 5! Season overview will go up tomorrow, as per usual, and then I'll jump right into things in April as we begin season 6, because that season has 47 episode segments which is the longest so far, so...we're just going to see how that goes. I'll get 'em all done though, you can guarantee that.
get ready for the best season in spongebob history with such classic moments like the toe nail scene, and choir boys and other classic episodes with hilarious characters and amazing writing

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
get ready for the best season in spongebob history with such classic moments like the toe nail scene, and choir boys and other classic episodes with hilarious characters and amazing writing
Oh yes I am well aware that season 6 is probably the most disliked season (though idk, maybe season 7 has it beat? I'm pretty sure I dislike season 7 more if I remember correctly, I always get the two mixed up). I actually revisited this one last year so I'm wondering if my opinions are going to change drastically. I'm also excited because I know I've got some unpopular opinions in there.

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
Oh yes I am well aware that season 6 is probably the most disliked season (though idk, maybe season 7 has it beat? I'm pretty sure I dislike season 7 more if I remember correctly, I always get the two mixed up). I actually revisited this one last year so I'm wondering if my opinions are going to change drastically. I'm also excited because I know I've got some unpopular opinions in there.
season 6 still has some gems in it, and i dont even think the episode with the toe nail scene is even that bad

i think the highs of 7 are better than 6 but the lows are way way worse

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
season 6 still has some gems in it, and i dont even think the episode with the toe nail scene is even that bad

i think the highs of 7 are better than 6 but the lows are way way worse
That's just about my opinion as well, given I actually like "House Fancy". And considering that season 7 has my most hated episode of the entire show (along with one of the other two episodes that I hate), I think that's enough for me to say that season is gonna be worse for me lol. I'm just excited that one of my favorite specials is coming up in season 6.

Back