1/2 way through 2017. How has SBM done so far?

How would you rate SBM through mid-2017?

• Total voters

ssj4gogita4

Squidward Tortellini
Staff member

23,405 posts

$4,058 doubloons
Please rate SBM on how we, as a whole, have done this year. Also, comment on your thoughts so far. :)

Is there anything that you wish we had, should take away, improve on, etc?

SquiddyFace

Happy Halloween

5,769 posts
$314 doubloons
I give it an A-

Many great updates and less drama than last year but there are a few banned members that were annoying and rude (like TheWolverine) but at least they're banned :)

PinkPearl

insert title here

3,893 posts
$2,131 doubloons
I would give us a B.

Highlights:
It's always fun to come to for the same reasons as before. Blogging, friends, profiles, it's all good.
There hasn't been that much drama, if any. The political posts have gone down as well and that's been nice.
I see a lot of member creativity but little fanfiction like I've seen in years past. If there's interest I'd always thought a fanfic/episode contest would be cool.

Lowlights:
We could stand some more creative threads. I see a lot of repeats and topics that aren't especially interesting to discuss.

More "quality" content for the Dump would be awesome rather than junky YouTube videos and unfunny memes. It's amazing how many longtime members still don't get that these aren't funny. At least try to put some thought into your thread and make it a place to discuss something silly.

A small nitpick: I don't think we need a new thread for discussion every time an instance of gun violence or something appears in the news. It's really clogging up the Salty Spittoon and there's nothing much to say other than terrorism sucks/R.I.P./what is this world coming to. (I've been wanting to say this for a while and now finally have a chance xD )

But I guess the improvements are really up to the members :p

ooooooofy

hello! :)

1,759 posts
$1,511 doubloons
it has been okay I suppose I gave it a C because there are a few people who are a bit excessively crazy and the chat died which suxxxxx :patboo:

i think you should find a new chat because cytube is the stinkiest thing i have ever witnessed in my life and trust me i have seen some very stinky things!!!!!! :patgross: no videos please i really do not like them they kind of get rid of the whole idea of chatting which is just sitting and talking about anything and everything with pals but with cytube people tend to not do that! instead they use it to share videos and talk about them no one there just want to chat about life:((((((( not to mention the videos that some people play are inappropriate and stinky!!!!!! :sandyomg:

Greek Chorus

Oh, grock.

578 posts
$1,560 doubloons
I've had pretty much no complaints with the site. Aside from some jerk towards the start of the year, it's been a mostly smooth ride and a nice place to discuss SpongeBob with others. I do like the ideas of things like fanfic contests, since I've always wanted to work on my writing skills, as someone said. I also feel we shouldn't have scrapped the chat completely in favor of cytube but idk, I rarely used the chat anyway. I'll go ahead and say B+. I'd appreciate a few more ways to have fun with the community, but that might just be me.

EDIT: there is no B+ so i change it to A-

BobCarotte

my husbando

5,237 posts
$9,053 doubloons
B-

SBM had less spammy topics this year. It has improved comparing to 2016 SBM, but the topics in the Dump need :moar: quality content, like older topics from 2013-2014. Also, the start of the year kinda sucked (Sperngeyberb, Spleenburb, Wolverine, Rugrats1...), but since these members were banned, this site started to improve. Overall, SBM in the first half of 2017 has been OK.

ssj4gogita4

Squidward Tortellini
Staff member

23,405 posts

$4,058 doubloons
PinkPearl said:
I would give us a B.

Highlights:
It's always fun to come to for the same reasons as before. Blogging, friends, profiles, it's all good.
There hasn't been that much drama, if any. The political posts have gone down as well and that's been nice.
I see a lot of member creativity but little fanfiction like I've seen in years past. If there's interest I'd always thought a fanfic/episode contest would be cool.

Lowlights:
We could stand some more creative threads. I see a lot of repeats and topics that aren't especially interesting to discuss.

More "quality" content for the Dump would be awesome rather than junky YouTube videos and unfunny memes. It's amazing how many longtime members still don't get that these aren't funny. At least try to put some thought into your thread and make it a place to discuss something silly.

A small nitpick: I don't think we need a new thread for discussion every time an instance of gun violence or something appears in the news. It's really clogging up the Salty Spittoon and there's nothing much to say other than terrorism sucks/R.I.P./what is this world coming to. (I've been wanting to say this for a while and now finally have a chance xD )

But I guess the improvements are really up to the members :p
I've thought about doing a fanfiction contest, too. I would love to get more fanfiction here but just not sure how to do that exactly, other than contests. Would adding a page to the main site with fanfictions be helpful for the world to see?
Greek Chorus said:
I've had pretty much no complaints with the site. Aside from some jerk towards the start of the year, it's been a mostly smooth ride and a nice place to discuss SpongeBob with others. I do like the ideas of things like fanfic contests, since I've always wanted to work on my writing skills, as someone said. I also feel we shouldn't have scrapped the chat completely in favor of cytube but idk, I rarely used the chat anyway. I'll go ahead and say B+. I'd appreciate a few more ways to have fun with the community, but that might just be me.

EDIT: there is no B+ so i change it to A-
We had no choice about giving up the chat. It's support was ending from IPS and they shut it down. :\

Sunshine Banjo Face

Banished

7,431 posts
$3,376 doubloons
Honestly as a website....eh?

The VIP section itself really hasn't been utilized at all, forum events to win doubloons have been scarce if at all (REALLY CURIOUS ABOUT THIS ONE), and there aren't as many amazing topics this year as there have been the past in areas such as the Dump, topics like spiders are your friend as an example would be nice, really the only thing the Dump has going for it is mainly Post Random Pictures and even that's died down compared to a few years back. It's not bad at all, but it's not as good as it's capabilities have been proven to be. Maybe it's just because I'm not an easily amazed and impressionable 10 year old anymore. :dunno:

That being said there has been a lack of stupid drama and rulebreaking, so that's a plus, and there is still the occasional topic which catches people's eyes including my own, which is fair enough.

Overall, it's been alright, but nothing that I would consider too "special". I'd add some events like maybe a few more hunts, or even trivias, I wouldn't mind helping come up with questions or maybe even host a thing or two if it comes down to it.

ssj4gogita4

Squidward Tortellini
Staff member

23,405 posts

$4,058 doubloons
BobCarotte said:
B-

SBM had less spammy topics this year. It has improved comparing to 2016 SBM, but the topics in the Dump need :moar: quality content, like older topics from 2013-2014. Also, the start of the year kinda sucked (Sperngeyberb, Spleenburb, Wolverine, Rugrats1...), but since these members were banned, this site started to improve. Overall, SBM in the first half of 2017 has been OK.
Any ideas of how to improve the dump?

BobCarotte

my husbando

5,237 posts
$9,053 doubloons
Any ideas of how to improve the dump?
Just look at the 2013-2014 topics, you'll see the difference. Just add more interesting and funnier content. At least there has not been too much pointless topics so the Dump is already improving a little.

Tais

258 posts
$393 doubloons
ooooooofy said:
it has been okay I suppose I gave it a C because there are a few people who are a bit excessively crazy and the chat died which suxxxxx :patboo:

i think you should find a new chat because cytube is the stinkiest thing i have ever witnessed in my life and trust me i have seen some very stinky things!!!!!! :patgross: no videos please i really do not like them they kind of get rid of the whole idea of chatting which is just sitting and talking about anything and everything with pals but with cytube people tend to not do that! instead they use it to share videos and talk about them no one there just want to chat about life:((((((( not to mention the videos that some people play are inappropriate and stinky!!!!!! :sandyomg:
I've seen cytubes that had discussion about life and other stuff unrelated to the video thats playing. I don't get how the playing of videos ruins it for you, but it is your opinion.

SBM as a site I guess disappointed me since I joined it, its boring imo, and there is also drama and questionable stuff.

dumb reasoning, but I give a D

Alex Squarepants

angrier than ever

2,687 posts
$3,404 doubloons
This site is okay, i'll give it a B-

January/Febuary wasn't that good. There were annoying members who just couldn't shut up about stupid crap (i'm not gonna say who, though). Now, as of May/June 2017, there hasn't been any banned members who returned, not even Rugrats1 or Wolverine. The spam topics aren't as bad as 2016 and there hasn't been a lot a flame wars, maybe a few, but not that many. So this site is getting along with each other better. I do still have fun talking to my friends on here. The biggest problem within the first half of this year is that this site just felt a little bit boring. There wasn't a big chunk of interesting topics for me to reply to. Overall, this site is fine enough, can get boring, but that's just SBM how it is.

CakeCup

Facing the BSOD

5,877 posts
$11,879 doubloons
I would give it a B. Of course, every year has its pros and cons, so I will explain some of them.

Pros:
-It's always fun to come back, as usual. Friends, topics, and profiles are all really good.
-Not nearly as much drama as back in 2016. It seems like most members have maintained their respect in serious topics.
-Less spam.
-Site started to improve after some members got banished.
-Members that were banned before but got unbanned now (OBAB, Storm, and Yellow) definitely learned their lessons, and I have faith that they are going to be great.
-Most of the "annual" topics were fun to participate in. (Yearbook, Awards, Praisebook, etc.)

Cons:
-The first months in 2017 were a little rocky, thanks to members like The Wolverine and Spleenburb.
-There wasn't as much creative topics made, especially in The Dump. Post Random Pictures is still good, though.
-There needs to be more game days, those would help improve SBM. (Pictionary, Password Plus, and WOF)

ssj4gogita4

Squidward Tortellini
Staff member

23,405 posts

$4,058 doubloons
SI-LLY said:
I've seen cytubes that had discussion about life and other stuff unrelated to the video thats playing. I don't get how the playing of videos ruins it for you, but it is your opinion.

SBM as a site I guess disappointed me since I joined it, its boring imo, and there is also drama and questionable stuff.

dumb reasoning, but I give a D
Boring how? Please elaborate so maybe we can improve the score in the 2nd half of the year :)

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.

4,255 posts
$139 doubloons
Would've graded SBM as a B+, but rounded up on the pole.

Generally late 2016 SBM was pretty poor with tons of spam topics, drama, and rude members. That continued for the first 2 or so months of 2017 but since then things have picked up. The bad members have left and all the drama and spam is under control. The dump isn't funny any more and we don't need a 2017 sucks thread every time a celebrity dies but I'd say SBM is good right now. And the dump is still a billion times better than it was during you know when.

E.V.I.L

I

17,731 posts

$2,982 doubloons
I would have to give it a B-.

Pros:

-It's nice to see this place active as per always
-The Nautical Nonsense topics are often fun to read--definitely some of my favorites
-Occasionally people will make more creative blogs
-This site has always been the best place IMO to find SpongeBob-related things. You're never going to be able to beat SBM's episode gallery.
-Staff care a lot about the site and help to make it feel like a welcoming community
-People here can be spammy but at the end, actually hurtful/bigoted stuff is not tolerated at all

Cons:

-The Dump is an embarrassment, but I mean there's nothing the staff can do about that so I guess do your thing members.
-I feel like we need a different chat source for cytube because it's like flashchat in that itsj ust not working out for us. Though at the same time, I'm not sure if any chat program will fix it as its not 2015 anymore and people here don't really chat.

Overall really I think you guys just keep doing what you do best! The stuff that suck is really all on us and it's nothing thats a problem with the site infrastructure or running itself. Maybe add more events, but I'll leave the ideas for you guys to come up with because you guys have always made promising ones in the past.

Big Meaty Claws

K I D S

3,974 posts
$1,537 doubloons
IMO the site has been mostly decent, but I do wish games like Pictionary and WOF would be more common tbh. I know the staff is busy and all, and I respect that, Maybe some new games or unique features to the site would make me come back more often. Perhaps if members were officially gathered to play games like SSB or other things, that could result int something really fun. Also, if it isn't too much to ask I would love to see an upgrade to the site's skin, the current one is fine but I think a new one is overdue since this is from like, 2013 :p

Basically, SBM's just been alright, although I would like to see the forum progress somewhere new and different, it feels like nothings changed over the past 4 years. :p

Sunshine Banjo Face

Banished

7,431 posts
$3,376 doubloons
ssj4gogita4 said:
I've thought about doing a fanfiction contest, too. I would love to get more fanfiction here but just not sure how to do that exactly, other than contests. Would adding a page to the main site with fanfictions be helpful for the world to see?
I would advocate for a fanfiction contest with themes like how we have drawing contests, so those who have poor motor skills but a good use of words have a chance to win something. This is something that could easily be put together if we put just a little bit of thought into going over how it'd work, and it could bring life to Fan Creations in general, there used to be some fanfiction here but there's barely anything at all right now, and this could be a good way to rejuvinate the small interest into something more. I'd try it at least once.

NerdyKairi

My Photo is a Mood

1,247 posts
$1,344 doubloons
I'll give it a C. But i do have some complaints:

-The Cytube Chat rarely being used.
-Many Threads not being taken seriously, outside of The Salty Spitoon or a Celebrity Death.
-Lack of good SpongeBob Discussions.
-The Constant Spaming.
-A few members being banned. (Not say they didren't deserve it but still)
-Many Threads in The Dump try too hard to be funny.

Overall it has been decent.

CakeCup

Facing the BSOD

5,877 posts
$11,879 doubloons
Lemme add on to my pros and cons list...

More Pros:
- A lot more creative blogs from what I have seen. I really like Prez's reviews of snacks and drinks.
-The site itself is excellent. I can tell that a lot of dedication was put into making SBM a welcoming community.
-Most of us respect each other, even if we are different. Shows that the SBM community is rather diverse.

Cons:
-Can get boring at times. There wasn't as many creative and interesting topics made this year and I feel that the site can be a little quiet at times. But hey, at least it wasn't like 2010-11, where some of the members during that time clearly stated how "dead" the forums were.
-The Dump is majorly unfunny and I feel that some of the members are trying too hard to make a joke topic. I can't control others, so...
-The Salty Spittoon feels too much of a cesspool of celebrity deaths. I know that I may sound like a hypocrite here, but we don't need a new thread each time a famous person dies.

Sad topics in the Dump and lack of interesting viewpoints in the Salty Spittoon aside, I still find SBM a great website and I probably won't be leaving this site anytime soon. (unless I go on vacation) I know that there is always room for improvement, so we should make sure that SBM will still be interesting for years to come.