099a. The Two Faces of Squidward

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
Season: 5

Episode: The Two Faces of Squidward

This episode was very good. The plot was really nice. I was nice to see Spongebob and Squidward get along good in this episode. Handsome Squidward is really memorable. There were many funny jokes. 8.5/10

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
A nice recovery after that awful special. The story was very interesting and this is one of those episode's that keeps getting funnier as it goes on.

8/10

Not too big a fan of this one TBH. Handsome Squidward is cool at first, but then it just gets old. There are a few jokes, but they revolve around the same thing. Plus I don't think Squidward's second handsome face is that handsome. And Mr. Krabs is a jerk to Squidward at the end.

Ranking so far:
1. Krabs a la Mode (A+)
2. Roller Cowards (A+)
3. New Digs (A)
4. Bucket Sweet Bucket (A)
5. Blackjack (A)
6. The Krusty Plate (A)
7. Atlantis SquarePantis (A)
8. Spy Buddies (A)
9. Sing a Song of Patrick (A)
10. Friend or Foe (A)
11. SpongeBob vs. the Patty Gadget (A)
12. The Inmates of Summer (A)
13. The Battle of Bikini Bottom (B)
14. Money Talks (B)
15. Goo Goo Gas (B)
16. Picture Day (B)
17. Mermaid Man vs. SpongeBob (B)
18. The Krusty Sponge (B)
19. 20,000 Patties Under the Sea (B)
20. Boat Smarts (B)
21. Blackened Sponge (B)
22. Night Light (C)
23. Rise and Shine (C)
24. To Save a Squirrel (C)
25. The Donut of Shame (C)
26. The Two Faces of Squidward (C)
27. Pest of the West (C)
28. Slimy Dancing (C)
29. Le Big Switch (C)
30. Pat No Pay (C)
31. Fungus Among Us (D)
32. The Original Fry Cook (D)
33. Good Ol' Whatshisname (D)
34. A Flea in Her Dome (D)
35. Breath of Fresh Squidward (E)
36. Waiting (E)
37. Whatever Happened to SpongeBob? (F)
38. To Love a Patty (F)

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
The beginning of this episode kinda sets it up for failure, but once we get to the hospital, things really start getting good. Almost all of the jokes hit for me in this episode, and there's a ton of them in this episode, which makes this one of the funniest episodes this season. Some of the story elements are kinda stupid, but the comedy and overall tone of the episode cancel them out. The final scene was also really great. Overall a really funny and engaging episode.

Good episode (8/10)

1. Roller Cowards (10)
2. Spy Buddies (9)
3. Spongebob vs. the Patty Gadget (8)
4. The Krusty Plate (8)
5. The Two Faces of Squidward (8)
6. Friend or Foe (8)
7. Krabs à La Mode (8)
8. Sing a Song of Patrick (8)
9. The Krusty Sponge (7)
10. Goo Goo Gas (7)
11. Pest of the West (7)
12. Blackened Sponge (7)
13. New Digs (7)
14. Mermaidman vs. Spongebob (7)
15. Bucket Sweet Bucket (7)
16. The Battle of Bikini Bottom (7)
17. Picture Day (6)
18. Money Talks (6)
19. Blackjack (6)
20. The Donut of Shame (6)
21. The Inmates of Summer (6)
22. Night Light (5)
23. Boat Smarts (5)
24. Rise and Shine (5)
25. 20,000 Patties Under The Sea (5)
26. To Save a Squirrel (5)
27. Slimy Dancing (5)
28. Breath of Fresh Squidward (5)
29. The Original Fry Cook (5)
30. Le Big Switch (4)
31. Good Ol' Whatshisname (4)
32. Pat No Pay (4)
33. A Flea in Her Dome (4)
34. What Ever Happened to Spongebob? (4)
35. To Love A Patty (3)
36. Waiting (3)
37. Atlantis Squarepantis (3)
38. Fungus Among Us (2)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
A perfect cooldown after the evil clutches of the abysmal WhoBob WhatPants aka Whatever Happened to SpongeBob.
This is my 2nd favorite episode of season 5. The jokes were funny and it spawned you know who.

Rating: Perfect Episode

Rankings:
Roller Cowards (Perfect)
The Two Faces of Squidward (Perfect)
Friend or Foe (Perfect)
Mermaid Man Vs. SpongeBob (Perfect)
Goo Goo Gas (Amazing!)
Spy Buddies (Amazing!)
SpongeBob Vs. The Patty Gadget (Amazing!)
20,000 Patties Under the Sea (Amazing!)
Atlantis SquarePantis (Great)
Sing a Song of Patrick (Great)
Bucket Sweet Bucket (Great)
Krab a la Mode (Great)
The Donut of Shame (Great)
Slimy Dancing (Great)
BlackJack (Great)
Picture Day (Great)
Breath of Fresh Squidward (Great)
Rise and Shine (Great)
The Krusty Plate (Great)
Le Big Switch (Great)
Pest of the West (Good)
Boat Smarts (Meh)
A Flea in her Dome (Meh)
Fungus Among Us (Meh)
Night Light (Alright)
The Krusty Sponge (Okay)
The Original Fry Cook (Okay)
New Digs (Okay)
The Inmates of Summer (Okay)
To Save a Squirrel (Okay)
Good Ol' Whathisname (Bad)
Money Talks (Bad)
Blackened Sponge (Bad)
The Battle of Bikini Bottom (Bad)
Pat No Pay (Horrible)
WhoBob WhatPants (aka Whatever Happened to SpongeBob) (Terrible)
To Love a Patty (Terrible)
Waiting (Terrible)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Well well well, today we’ve got one of the most famous episodes of the show in “The Two Faces of Squidward”. Perhaps the episode itself is not as famous as one of its plot elements, handsome Squidward, but I’m lumping it together all the same. What’s funny is that I’ve always found handsome Squidward to be a meh meme, and that connects nicely with my feelings about this episode as well. At least the title card uses Tentically Speaking, which is a track I like a lot.

The episode begins…decently, with SpongeBob and Patrick singing slightly annoyingly. At least Squidward’s quip about the evolutionary clock ticking backwards (which was also a fun 4th wall break as he was addressing the audience) was good. However when Squidward gives another good quip to SpongeBob, we get an extremely pointless and dull interaction where Patrick quite literally explains Squidward’s joke in the most boring manner possible, making this scene feel stilted and awkward. So, basically, not a great start here. At least Squidward is carrying this scene on his back, because he’s pretty good in this first minute. Thankfully we move on to Squidward’s face being broken and him being taken to the hospital. The hospital scene (before Squidward gets his bandages off) is good, I like SpongeBob’s dramatics. The actual scene of Squidward’s bandages being removed is not that good though, and I find myself on the road to being as annoyed as the doctor. At least the doctor is kind of funny in their reactions, but SpongeBob’s interruptions are irritating. And they go well beyond the rule of 3. It just feels like wasted time.

And then we get the reveal that the surgery ended up making Squidward conventionally attractive. I do like that SpongeBob and Squidward proceed to get along pretty well for the rest of the episode, I like when they have a mutually cooperative relationship like this. Kind of goes to show that a lot of their bad relationship is caused by Squidward’s own misery lol. The scene of them walking around town is fine enough, but seeing everyone swoon over Squidward just isn’t that entertaining on its own. The guy who thought he could fly though…we’ll return to him (in one of the best brick jokes of this show, I’d say).

This episode does a pretty good job in escalating the conflict, as people believe they are increasingly entitled to Squidward’s space and body. And what’s good here is that Squidward incrementally realizes how problematic his situation is, so the episode doesn’t get stale. Like if we were watching 6 minutes of people chasing an upset Squidward around, it would get boring. But Squidward here enjoys the fame for a while, even as his fans get more rabid, until he finally gets sick of it, so it makes it better to watch, and I just want to acknowledge that. That’s not to say the rest of the episode is particularly enjoyable, though. Honestly the way people harass Squidward gets increasingly uncomfortable to watch for me. I mean first off, this really is how it is for some celebrities in real life, which is disgusting. This episode is really not exaggerating as much as it should be. And of course Mr. Krabs simply wants to make a profit off of it, so he’s no help. I’m not really annoyed with him, though, because this is completely in character.

SpongeBob and Squidward’s plot to change him back is pretty funny on its own, and the execution is hilarious. Of course, this leads to the real handsome Squidward, who looks more unsettling to me than handsome lol, but whatever. I like how his shirt changes into a whole get-up haha. And then here we see the return of the shoe from earlier, a very impressive brick joke in my opinion. I love how gloriously dramatic this scene is, with Squidward sailing through the air prettily. I also think the shoe just bonking on SpongeBob’s head after all that slo-mo drama is perfect comedy. From here, the episode ends…alright, with Mr. Krabs losing all of his potential customers and him trying to make Squidward conventionally handsome again by smashing his face in with the door. It’s not exactly funny, and I just kinda feel bad for Squidward more than anything, but like not too bad. I think it would’ve been funnier if somehow Mr. Krabs got the handsome treatment or something, just as a bit of comeuppance for him trying to sell out Squidward. At least the Krusty Krab shot is nice.

“The Two Faces of Squidward” is simply okay. There are some funny moments here and there, but nothing that really makes me laugh out loud unfortunately. And there are other moments that are just stilted and awkward and a little weird to sit through. And then there are even more moments where I am physically uncomfortable by the actions of the townspeople. As a whole, I’d say the episode is not exactly boring, but very dull. The premise of this episode is decently interesting, but I feel like not enough was done with it. It’s more all the missed opportunities for actual comedy than the plot that makes me feel like this, though.

Episode Tier: Okay
Episode Score:
6.5/10

SpongebobMaster

The Guy Who Reviews UHHHHH
Guys its the meme episode! 10/10
  1. The Two Faces Of Squidward
  2. Friend or foe (10/10)
  3. The Donut Of Shame (10/10)
  4. Roller Cowards (10/10)
  5. Krabs à La Mode (10/10)
  6. Spy Buddies (10/10)
  7. Pest Of The West (9.5./10)
  8. Spongebob Vs The Patty Gadget (9.5/10)
  9. Bucket Sweet Bucket (9.5/10)
  10. The Krusty Sponge (9.5/10)
  11. Sing A Song Of Patrick (9.5/10)
  12. Inmates Of Summer (9.5/10)
  13. The Krusty Plate (9/10)
  14. Rise And Shine (9/10)
  15. New Digs (8.5/10)
  16. Blackened Sponge (8.5/10)
  17. BlackJack (8.5/10)
  18. Night Light (8.5/10)
  19. Money talks (8.5/10)
  20. Goo Goo Gas (7.5/10)
  21. Breath Of Fresh Squidward (7.5/10)
  22. The Battle of Bikini Bottom (6.5/10)
  23. Pat No Pay (6.5/10)
  24. Slimy Dancing (5.5/10)
  25. Le Big Switch (5/10)
  26. 20,000 Patties Under The Sea (4.5.10)
  27. The Original Fry Cook (4.5/10)
  28. Good Ol'Whatshisname (3.5/10)
  29. Boat Smarts (3/10)
  30. Picture Day (2.5/10)
  31. A Flea In Her Dome (2/10)
  32. What Ever Happened To Spongebob? (1.5/10
  33. To Save A Squirrel (1/10)
  34. Waiting (1/10)
  35. Fungus Amongus (0.5/10)
  36. To love a patty (0/10)
  37. Atlantis Squarepantis (-99999/10)

Back