097a. 20,000 Patties Under The Sea

end

Between the infamous exchange, stupidly written plot and an eerie absence of humor, this episode stands as terrible. Shame, as it had potential to be great. The weaker episodes of Season 5.

Bl4zeTMG

Four Twenny Blaze
I don't enjoy this episode THAT much. It's pretty boring at some parts. 6.5/10

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
Season: 5

Episode: 20,000 Patties Under The Sea

This episode was good. The plot was nice. There were some funny jokes. 8/10

Zee

Flying Dutchman's Sock
I didn't like this episode. It felt more like a season 6+ episode than a season 5 one. And let's not forget Spongebob's infamous "I LIKE Squidward" quote...

SquiddlyPie

random gal
It's a good episode, it was a little bit boring for me but it's ok I mean, at least it wasn't a ''torture'' or whatever episode...but kinda of forggetable I don't really remember it! I remember what happened but not the quotes and stuff...something I really like about this episode is when the monster thinks Plankton is a chocolate eclair :P I used to laugh at that :P , I am going to give it a 7/10 :) Also, the title card is soooo good I love it :clapping:

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
I quite like this one, it has a very interesting plot and numerous well-done jokes, it also has the greatest line in SpongeBob history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQP7aclnrIk

8/10

SpongeBob and Patrick are travelling a submarine around to give random customers Krabby Patties, and Plankton is trying to stop them. Interesting idea, and nothing too out of the ordinary.

Airdate: November 23, 2007

This episode is good. I wouldn't say it's great, but it's good for what it is. It has a few funny jokes, tells a good story, and keeps you intrigued. Like a regular SpongeBob episode should.

Ranking so far:
1. Krabs a la Mode (A+)
2. Roller Cowards (A+)
3. New Digs (A)
4. Bucket Sweet Bucket (A)
5. Blackjack (A)
6. The Krusty Plate (A)
7. Atlantis SquarePantis (A)
8. Spy Buddies (A)
9. Sing a Song of Patrick (A)
10. Friend or Foe (A)
11. SpongeBob vs. the Patty Gadget (A)
12. The Inmates of Summer (A)
13. Money Talks (B)
14. Goo Goo Gas (B)
15. Picture Day (B)
16. Mermaid Man vs. SpongeBob (B)
17. The Krusty Sponge (B)
18. Boat Smarts (B)
19. Blackened Sponge (B)
20. Night Light (C)
21. Rise and Shine (C)
22. To Save a Squirrel (C)
23. The Donut of Shame (C)
24. Pest of the West (C)
25. Slimy Dancing (C)
26. Le Big Switch (C)
27. Pat No Pay (C)
28. Fungus Among Us (D)
29. The Original Fry Cook (D)
30. Good Ol' Whatshisname (D)
31. A Flea in Her Dome (D)
32. Breath of Fresh Squidward (E)
33. Waiting (E)
34. To Love a Patty (F)

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
This episode had the potential to actually be really good, but the execution was pretty lackluster. Nothing really happens for the most part, and the last quarter of the episode with the monster felt really random. It also really wasn't that funny, but there were a few chuckle worthy moments. This is pretty much the very definition of a "meh" episode for me.

Meh episode (5/10)

1. Roller Cowards (10)
2. Spy Buddies (9)
3. Spongebob vs. the Patty Gadget (8)
4. Sing a Song of Patrick (8)
5. The Krusty Plate (8)
6. Friend or Foe (8)
7. Krabs à La Mode (8)
8. The Krusty Sponge (7)
9. Goo Goo Gas (7)
10. Pest of the West (7)
11. Blackened Sponge (7)
12. New Digs (7)
13. Mermaidman vs. Spongebob (7)
14. Bucket Sweet Bucket (7)
15. Picture Day (6)
16. Money Talks (6)
17. Blackjack (6)
18. The Donut of Shame (6)
19. The Inmates of Summer (6)
20. Night Light (5)
21. Boat Smarts (5)
22. Rise and Shine (5)
23. 20,000 Patties Under The Sea (5)
24. To Save a Squirrel (5)
25. Slimy Dancing (5)
26. Breath of Fresh Squidward (5)
27. The Original Fry Cook (5)
28. Le Big Switch (4)
29. Good Ol' Whatshisname (4)
30. Pat No Pay (4)
31. A Flea in Her Dome (4)
32. To Love A Patty (3)
33. Waiting (3)
34. Atlantis Squarepantis (3)
34. Fungus Among Us (2)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
I like this episode it was very fun to watch. Its also almost reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally close to perfect!

Rating: Amazing Episode

Rankings:
Roller Cowards (Perfect)
Friend or Foe (Perfect)
Mermaid Man Vs. SpongeBob (Perfect)
Goo Goo Gas (Amazing!)
Spy Buddies (Amazing!)
SpongeBob Vs. The Patty Gadget (Amazing!)
20,000 Patties Under the Sea (Amazing!)
Atlantis SquarePantis (Great)
Sing a Song of Patrick (Great)
Bucket Sweet Bucket (Great)
Krab a la Mode (Great)
The Donut of Shame (Great)
Slimy Dancing (Great)
BlackJack (Great)
Picture Day (Great)
Breath of Fresh Squidward (Great)
Rise and Shine (Great)
The Krusty Plate (Great)
Le Big Switch (Great)
Pest of the West (Good)
Boat Smarts (Meh)
A Flea in her Dome (Meh)
Fungus Among Us (Meh)
Night Light (Alright)
The Krusty Sponge (Okay)
The Original Fry Cook (Okay)
New Digs (Okay)
The Inmates of Summer (Okay)
To Save a Squirrel (Okay)
Good Ol' Whathisname (Bad)
Money Talks (Bad)
Blackened Sponge (Bad)
Pat No Pay (Horrible)
To Love a Patty (Terrible)
Waiting (Terrible)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Next up, we've got "20,000 Patties Under The Sea". And this is an episode that I never see anyone talk about. Ever. Well…that’s not quite true. No one ever talks about the plot of this episode, but they do talk about the 2 very famous jokes from these 11 minutes. Though I’m sure that when these jokes make the rounds (especially on Twitter, as that is what I am familiar with), most people don’t even know that they’re from this specific episode. So my point about this episode lacking recognition still stands. And I suppose I'm about to single-handedly make up for this lack of recognition, given how long this review is about to be.

The first thing I wanna say is that this episode starts so…weirdly. The title card music alone gives strange, exploration vibes just from the music, it gives “SpongeHenge” honestly. And the uncanniness continues because for some reason this episode starts out reusing the panoramic shot from “Jellyfishing”. And this footage reuse is done kind of poorly if I’m being honest, because when the gorgeous shot that is clearly from season 1 abruptly cuts to SpongeBob’s face as he and Patrick jellyfish, it’s super noticeable and I was very confused when this happened, like I thought I got a bad rip of the episode or something. So I’m not sure why they decided to do that…maybe they needed to fill more time? But also this episode and its sister are exactly 11 minutes long, and frequently episodes vary between that runtime and 10 minutes and 45 seconds, so I’m not really sure. And while I’m on this production stuff, let me skip ahead to talking about the scene at the Krusty Krab real quick. Mr. Krabs in this first scene of him…did anyone else think that he looked eerily similar to Greenblatt-Krabs from “Fear of a Krabby Patty”? Like I saw that and I had to do a double-take, because I know Greenblatt left the show in season 4 so there’s no way this was boarded by him. Maybe it’s just me. And then I had one more production thing I wanted to mention, which was the floating cashier boat in one of the shots. This one really confused me because SpongeBob SquarePants backgrounds are painted right? Maybe they’re painted in layers that are then moved around based on shot composition? I’m not sure.

Alright, moving on to talking about the episode for real now, this beginning segment of SpongeBob and Patrick jellyfishing is a mix of good and meh. The bit with Patrick not knowing he should say “Roger” was a lot funnier than I expected it to be, especially once Patrick confidently says “Ringo”. However what isn’t as funny is the bit after that where SpongeBob is trying to get Patrick to help him and Patrick is an idiot. Also it doesn’t make any sense to me because SpongeBob has never been shown to be uncomfortable around jellyfish before, so why is he freaking out? He literally has a net! So that all felt very off and I don’t like using this word but even forced. At the very least it ends in some fun slapstick, as well as even the jellyfish being like “wtf are those guys on”, so that helps a bit. Also I love how Patrick embodies that “‘we?’ are we speaking french now” meme. Luckily we don’t spend too much time in this middling comedic area, as the plot gets moving pretty quickly as SpongeBob and Patrick dig up the submarine. And that’s all I can really say for the next minute or so, that the plot is moving, because nothing really funny happens in this section. SpongeBob and Patrick devolving into argument is very abrupt and feels unnecessary, only added as an explanation for why the submarine crashes into the Krusty Krab (they could’ve just done a simple “SpongeBob can’t drive” joke, that would’ve been better).

With the entry of the Krusty Krab into this episode comes an elevated entertainment factor. I don’t think that Mr. Krabs and Squidward together is a dynamic that ever fails, or if it does that’s a rare thing. Once the submarine bursts into the Krusty Krab, we’re suddenly thrown into a Mr. Krabs money-making scheme type of episode, and I don’t have any complaints about that, those are frequently entertaining as well. And as SpongeBob and Patrick leave to make Mr. Krabs some money, we get our first of the two famous jokes with SpongeBob’s “Bye Squidward~”. And here we’re about to enter a Pugs Certified High Horse Moment. Part of me thinks this joke is hilarious (the way Tom Kenny delivers it is fantastic), while the other part of me can’t help but start thinking about the logic underpinning this joke, and realizing that more than likely there are some homophobic undertones in this joke…which isn’t great. And let’s be real I’m probably right because this episode aired in 2007 and as I’ve said in my “That’s No Lady” review, we live in a deeply homophobic society. But that doesn’t mean that this is a bad joke or anything, or one that I feel bad about finding funny. I just think that it’s important to acknowledge that this joke was made with the logic that gay = funny, which is a homophobic sentiment. I wish there was a way to get my point across without it feeling like I’m hating on the joke or anything lol, because I’m really not. I just tell things like they are. And being a queer person myself, you bet your butt I’ll be pointing things out when I see them. That’s also why I’m so, so glad this show is with fish and not humans because if I had to deal with implicit racism in this show (which yes there are things I can say but it’s more about the behind-the-scenes than anything else, and even I tire of thinking of all the ways prejudice is baked into society because it’s disheartening), I think I’d give up. Okay, that’s my Pugs Certified High Horse Moment, let’s get on with the show.

We then get the entrance of Plankton into this episode, which I feel in general was kind of unnecessary. Like, I think this episode would’ve been more fun if it was like “Shopping List” and had SpongeBob and Patrick just go on adventures without the intervention of Plankton. But even though I do think that, Plankton definitely isn’t bad here, so I’m cool with his presence. Not to mention, if we didn’t have Plankton, we wouldn’t have famous joke number 2, which definitely deserves its praise. This is easily some of the funniest 30 seconds I have ever seen. Plankton’s roasts are immaculate and brilliantly written and delivered. I want everyone involved in this to stand up and take a bow honestly. I’m not sure who exactly came up with the joke, so I’ll just credit Mr. Lawrence for delivery, and then Chris Reccardi, Aaron Springer, and Richard Pursel because they are all credited as writers for this episode. And moving on, I might as well just talk about the rest of Plankton’s appearance in this episode, which might help things feel a little less like I’m going through this episode strictly chronologically. I love how angry and desperate Plankton gets in this episode, his fury at continuing to lose is just so fun to watch. And I loved his little victory dance when he thinks he’s won for once, which then leads to his demise. I’m also glad they stuck a split-second realization moment for Plankton in right before he hits the abyss wall, because that was a lot funnier than if he had just hit the wall while dancing. Plankton’s arrogance bringing him down is done pretty well in this episode, as he could’ve easily won the sea monster over had he cooked his own patties instead of gloating and abandoning ship, but he didn’t. And then of course once he starts acting like a child, he becomes dessert for the sea monster…so he really lost here lmao. It reminds me a lot of the ending of “F.U.N.”, and it works well for this episode.

Returning back to SpongeBob and Patrick’s part of the episode, I enjoy watching them try to sell Krabby Patties in downtown Bikini Bottom. I especially love that we see the return of the con man from “Chocolate With Nuts”, and there even seems to maybe be a bit of continuity there as he says “thanks again guys” to SpongeBob and Patrick after they give him money to eat a Krabby Patty. I also think this is a good moment to discuss how I love how SpongeBob lacks all care for money. He makes a great foil to Mr. Krabs. Mr. Krabs wants SpongeBob to sell Krabby Patties, with the for money part being implied, and all SpongeBob hears is “sell Krabby Patties”. Doesn’t matter who gets the money. And I just think that’s hilarious. And I love the way SpongeBob + Patrick’s and Plankton’s paths keep crossing in this episode, with the first time being when the townspeople are throwing rocks at Plankton. I love the fortune that befalls our favorite duo as they manage to sell Patrick’s burnt patties as rocks. Brilliant writing. It feels a lot like “Krabs a la Mode”. Also Jack M. Crazyfish is in that scene, so that’s neat. Unfortunately, my entertainment dwindles as SpongeBob and Patrick fall into the abyss, as the build up is too long and dull (Patrick misreading ‘abyss’ is much less funny here than the way he misread ‘west’ in “Arrgh!”), and even the part where they are falling is just kinda…meh. It’s also sound overload with the alarm and the screaming. Though I did kinda breathe out in an amused manner at SpongeBob being revealed to make siren noises lol. The sea monster was an enjoyable addition to the episode. Gene Simmons did a great job voicing them. Not funny on their own exactly, but amusing. And I like how apparently this guy has money even though they’ve been sleeping for 79 years in an abyss lol. Capitalism rules all. I also really liked the moment where Patrick is talking about their hull being breached and when SpongeBob’s like “I don’t know what that is”, Patrick’s like “me neither”. When Patrick has those moments of smartness immediately followed by idiocy, that juxtaposition is usually pretty funny or amusing. As for the ending of this episode, SpongeBob’s continual disregarding of money returns in a hilarious way as the duo use the money as a ballast (new vocab word strikes again), and it turns out they pull a “Krusty Towers” and bring back 37000 pounds of decorative deep sea rocks, which careen out the submarine with great comedic timing (especially that last one). Great closer to this episode. Mr. Krabs may be a protagonist (or at least not an antagonist), but seeing his plans foiled is oftentimes super funny (because his reactions tend to be hysterical), especially when SpongeBob ends up winning anyway.

I’ve been touching on this throughout the review, but I think the biggest strength of this episode is that we get to see SpongeBob persevere through difficult circumstances. Like I don’t know about y’all, but I love to see the little guy win, not only in his goals but in the hearts of other people. Like seeing him be a good businessman and everything turn out fine for him is just good for the soul, I don’t know how to describe it. This episode also shows him thinking on his feet, which I thought was really fun to watch and a good example of certain aspects of his character that can be ignored sometimes. SpongeBob is foolish, but not a complete idiot, like Patrick. Sometimes I feel like that can be forgotten, especially in episodes where SpongeBob and Patrick pair up and act as a collective foil to another, explicitly smarter character.

This review is appallingly long, so let me just close it out now haha. I enjoyed watching this episode. Aside from a few lulls, it's mostly funny and entertaining throughout. I do wish it had taken a slightly different direction, though, one that better fit the title of the episode. I'd say it fits nicely at the higher end of my "Good" tier.

Episode Tier: Good
Episode Score:
7.8/10

Note: As you can see, I’m trying to bring more analysis back to my reviews, and less just covering every single joke. This whole project of reviewing every episode continues to be a work in progress as I fine-tune my reviews to fit what I think is best at the time. Also, the length of this review is definitely a fluke, I really don't know why this one was so long haha.

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
for some reason this episode starts out reusing the panoramic shot from “Jellyfishing”. And this footage reuse is done kind of poorly if I’m being honest, because when the gorgeous shot that is clearly from season 1 abruptly cuts to SpongeBob’s face as he and Patrick jellyfish, it’s super noticeable and I was very confused when this happened, like I thought I got a bad rip of the episode or something. So I’m not sure why they decided to do that…maybe they needed to fill more time?
this is the only episode i could recall that reuses season 1 animation, it's so odd that they did it, but hey i aint complainin the more season 1 the better

SpongebobMaster

The Guy Who Reviews UHHHHH
Pretty mediocre the ending was bad
4.5/10
  1. Friend or foe (10/10)
  2. The Donut Of Shame (10/10)
  3. Roller Cowards (10/10)
  4. Krabs à La Mode (10/10)
  5. Spy Buddies (10/10)
  6. Pest Of The West (9.5./10)
  7. Spongebob Vs The Patty Gadget (9.5/10)
  8. Bucket Sweet Bucket (9.5/10)
  9. The Krusty Sponge (9.5/10)
  10. Sing A Song Of Patrick (9.5/10)
  11. Inmates Of Summer (9.5/10)
  12. The Krusty Plate (9/10)
  13. Rise And Shine (9/10)
  14. New Digs (8.5/10)
  15. Blackened Sponge (8.5/10)
  16. BlackJack (8.5/10)
  17. Night Light (8.5/10)
  18. Money talks (8.5/10)
  19. Goo Goo Gas (7.5/10)
  20. Breath Of Fresh Squidward (7.5/10)
  21. Pat No Pay (6.5/10)
  22. Slimy Dancing (5.5/10)
  23. Le Big Switch (5/10)
  24. 20,000 Patties Under The Sea (4.5.10)
  25. The Original Fry Cook (4.5/10)
  26. Good Ol'Whatshisname (3.5/10)
  27. Boat Smarts (3/10)
  28. Picture Day (2.5/10)
  29. A Flea In Her Dome (2/10)
  30. To Save A Squirrel (1/10)
  31. Waiting (1/10)
  32. Fungus Amongus (0.5/10)
  33. To love a patty (0/10)
  34. Atlantis Squarepantis (-99999/10)

Back