095b. To Save a Squirrel

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
I liked this episode but I'm not sure why, the plot was interesting and there were a couple of good jokes. I also liked how they executed SpongeBob and Patrick trying to eat each other, the tone is similar to Loony Toons so I don't think they went too dark.

7.5/10

This was a fun episode, there was clever humor. Yet, I have to say that from being stranded somewhere in the forest to the cave with that weirdo guy was rushed. The visual humor in this one was also kinda funny. The ending was actually unpredictable, but felt a little rushed and need a bit more explanation. 8/10

It's alright. I like the concept, but some things about this episode bug me. They're very minor things, so that's a plus. But one big problem I had with this episode was that it wasn't all that funny. It had a few jokes, but most of the episode was dry and humorless.

Ranking so far:
1. Krabs a la Mode (A+)
2. Roller Cowards (A+)
3. New Digs (A)
4. Bucket Sweet Bucket (A)
5. Blackjack (A)
6. The Krusty Plate (A)
7. Atlantis SquarePantis (A)
8. Spy Buddies (A)
9. Sing a Song of Patrick (A)
10. Friend or Foe (A)
11. SpongeBob vs. the Patty Gadget (A)
12. The Inmates of Summer (A)
13. Money Talks (B)
14. Goo Goo Gas (B)
15. Picture Day (B)
16. Mermaid Man vs. SpongeBob (B)
17. The Krusty Sponge (B)
18. Boat Smarts (B)
19. Blackened Sponge (B)
20. Night Light (C)
21. Rise and Shine (C)
22. To Save a Squirrel (C)
23. The Donut of Shame (C)
24. Slimy Dancing (C)
25. Le Big Switch (C)
26. Pat No Pay (C)
27. Fungus Among Us (D)
28. The Original Fry Cook (D)
29. Good Ol' Whatshisname (D)
30. A Flea in Her Dome (D)
31. Breath of Fresh Squidward (E)
32. Waiting (E)
33. To Love a Patty (F)

CheeseCrocker

Bomb-Selling Pirate
While I love the climax of this episode, the rest for the most part is really forgettable, and didn't peak my interest.

Mediocre Episode (5/10)

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
This episode for the most part is really boring and directionless. There's also a lot of plot holes. Patrick is also the main reason why all of the bad stuff happens to them in the first place, which just annoys me every time it happens. The climax is kinda cool, but it's not very memorable or anything. There was barley any humor as well. Overall a pretty bland episode but not something I would call bad.

Meh episode (5/10)

1. Roller Cowards (10)
2. Spy Buddies (9)
3. Spongebob vs. the Patty Gadget (8)
4. Sing a Song of Patrick (8)
5. The Krusty Plate (8)
6. Friend or Foe (8)
7. Krabs à La Mode (8)
8. The Krusty Sponge (7)
9. Goo Goo Gas (7)
10. Blackened Sponge (7)
11. New Digs (7)
12. Mermaidman vs. Spongebob (7)
13. Bucket Sweet Bucket (7)
14. Picture Day (6)
15. Money Talks (6)
16. Blackjack (6)
17. The Donut of Shame (6)
18. The Inmates of Summer (6)
19. Night Light (5)
20. Boat Smarts (5)
21. Rise and Shine (5)
22. To Save a Squirrel (5)
23. Slimy Dancing (5)
24. Breath of Fresh Squidward (5)
25. The Original Fry Cook (5)
26. Le Big Switch (4)
27. Good Ol' Whatshisname (4)
28. Pat No Pay (4)
29. A Flea in Her Dome (4)
30. To Love A Patty (3)
31. Waiting (3)
32. Atlantis Squarepantis (3)
33. Fungus Among Us (2)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
I thought this episode was a less lamer version of Club SpongeBob. But the jokes here were downright flat. Luckily theres a twist with that fish guy actually being Sandy.

Rating: Okay Episode

Rankings:
Roller Cowards (Perfect)
Friend or Foe (Perfect)
Mermaid Man Vs. SpongeBob (Perfect)
Goo Goo Gas (Amazing!)
Spy Buddies (Amazing!)
SpongeBob Vs. The Patty Gadget (Amazing!)
Atlantis SquarePantis (Great)
Sing a Song of Patrick (Great)
Bucket Sweet Bucket (Great)
Krab a la Mode (Great)
The Donut of Shame (Great)
Slimy Dancing (Great)
BlackJack (Great)
Picture Day (Great)
Breath of Fresh Squidward (Great)
Rise and Shine (Great)
The Krusty Plate (Great)
Le Big Switch (Great)
Boat Smarts (Meh)
A Flea in her Dome (Meh)
Fungus Among Us (Meh)
Night Light (Alright)
The Krusty Sponge (Okay)
The Original Fry Cook (Okay)
New Digs (Okay)
The Inmates of Summer (Okay)
To Save a Squirrel (Okay)
Good Ol' Whathisname (Bad)
Money Talks (Bad)
Blackened Sponge (Bad)
Pat No Pay (Horrible)
To Love a Patty (Terrible)
Waiting (Terrible)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Oh boy, "To Save A Squirrel", another episode people have definitely forgotten! Or maybe they haven't, but I struggle to find the right word for episodes like this that no one ever talks about ever. So if anyone has any ideas for a better word, I’d love to hear them lol. In general, this is a pretty fun episode. It also recognizes the girlboss that is Sandy Cheeks, so I can’t hate on that.

The initial couple minutes of this episode are pretty entertaining. I like that SpongeBob and Patrick are running like bats out of hell just because of a little grasshopper, and that visual gag with them in Sandy’s suit is pretty fun. I also like that Sandy was ready to throw hands for them, very wholesome. And I love how SpongeBob and Patrick are still in pieces about the thing after Sandy explains the bug is harmless. All of this of course leads into our main plot of the episode, which is Sandy’s survival trip. You know, it had never crossed my mind that Sandy would be into camping until I watched this episode. Also wait a minute, hold up…okay so did anyone play the Truth or Square game? I don’t know if this was a DS exclusive thing but I had (still do) the DS version, and there were two levels that took place in Kelp Forest. In this game, levels were associated with a character that could be used as a power up. Both Kelp Forest levels used Sandy as their character…could that be a reference to this episode?? So many thoughts.

Anyway, I love that Sandy is ready to MacGyver it up in the wild. And that gag with the flashback with Squidward was hilarious. I really, really like how the twist of the episode was kind of obvious from the beginning when you look back on it. Because why in the world would Sandy explain her exact plan to SpongeBob and Patrick knowing they’re idiots who would absolutely tag along (if them stealing her rocket ship was any indication). And also, how would she not hear their screaming while driving? But let’s just pretend that we don’t know the twist and say that SpongeBob and Patrick’s plan to join Sandy backfires spectacularly as Patrick opens the back door and they get stuck in the wilderness. Now I’m reminded of “Club SpongeBob” lol. Also, yeah, Patrick is indeed a huge idiot in this episode, or at least in these first few minutes, but it’s not grating. Maybe because SpongeBob’s reactions are pretty funny, I don’t know. Somehow I don’t even get annoyed or bored at the whole part where Patrick thinks for like 30 seconds straight. I think it’s because the visuals keep changing and SpongeBob’s reactions help things immensely. I also love that this is our transition to SpongeBob and Patrick getting a little bit loony, complete with some malnourished crazy-eyed designs for the two of them.

Speaking of loony, we get the introduction of some guy who’s apparently been living in this cave for 40 years, who only serves to instigate the coming conflict between SpongeBob and Patrick. And what a fun conflict this is. Sometimes, I just love when SpongeBob gets all paranoid like this. Like in “Bummer Vacation”. And it’s hilarious in this episode. Tom Kenny once again does what he does best and voices the heck out of SpongeBob’s madness, especially when he’s inside the Krusty Krab replica. And then when SpongeBob goes fully loony and starts trying to cook Patrick, things get quite entertaining as the two try to eat each other lmao. It’s a good intermix of hilarity and tension and visual gags, especially with the part where Patrick tries to make stew out of SpongeBob. And then in the end, I wonder if the ketchup was purposefully used to make SpongeBob and Patrick look like they were bleeding lol. That’s pretty dark if so.

And then of course, we get the end reveal that the old crazy guy was Sandy was all along! I love that she decided to test SpongeBob and Patrick’s survival skills with no warning whatsoever, and then decided to watch and be entertained. That’s queen behavior I don’t know what to tell you. The nonfailure medals were cute too. And the ending of the episode was great, with SpongeBob and Patrick turning on Sandy now. A little bit of universal justice, even if Sandy is queenie.

I really don't have anything bad to say about "To Save A Squirrel", it's a fun hidden gem. At most, the beginning is slightly weak but once SpongeBob and Patrick arrive in the wilderness the episode gets into its groove and becomes a triumph of hilarity.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9/10

distinctincident5624

Imitation Krab
I think this is one of the most underrated episodes of the show personally. I don't think it's one of the best of the season mind you, but I thought it was funny and not at all boring like many say it is.

spongie33

Sad Squidward Expert
Staff
I think this episode is a good episode. 7/10.

SpongebobMaster

The Guy Who Reviews UHHHHH
one of the worst sandy episodes! she feels too OOC and mean! and pain and a rash! and fleas and pai- oh wait wrong episode

SpongebobMaster

one of the worst sandy episodes! she feels too OOC and mean! and pain and a rash! and fleas and pai- oh wait wrong episode
a bit worse in rewatch
1/10
  1. Friend or foe (10/10)
  2. The Donut Of Shame (10/10)
  3. Roller Cowards (10/10)
  4. Krabs à La Mode (10/10)
  5. Spy Buddies (10/10)
  6. Spongebob Vs The Patty Gadget (9.5/10)
  7. Bucket Sweet Bucket (9.5/10)
  8. The Krusty Sponge (9.5/10)
  9. Sing A Song Of Patrick (9.5/10)
  10. Inmates Of Summer (9.5/10)
  11. The Krusty Plate (9/10)
  12. Rise And Shine (9/10)
  13. New Digs (8.5/10)
  14. Blackened Sponge (8.5/10)
  15. BlackJack (8.5/10)
  16. Night Light (8.5/10)
  17. Money talks (8.5/10)
  18. Goo Goo Gas (7.5/10)
  19. Breath Of Fresh Squidward (7.5/10)
  20. Pat No Pay (6.5/10)
  21. Slimy Dancing (5.5/10)
  22. Le Big Switch (5/10)
  23. The Original Fry Cook (4.5/10)
  24. Good Ol'Whatshisname (3.5/10)
  25. Boat Smarts (3/10)
  26. Picture Day (2.5/10)
  27. A Flea In Her Dome (2/10)
  28. To Save A Squirrel (1/10)
  29. Waiting (1/10)
  30. Fungus Amongus (0.5/10)
  31. To love a patty (0/10)
  32. Atlantis Squarepantis (-99999/10)

distinctincident5624

Imitation Krab
This is the most underrated episode of the entire show in my opinion. It's one of my personal highlights of Season 5. The hi-jinks in the cave were really funny in my opinion and I really enjoyed Sandy's role as well. My only gripe with it was that SpongeBob and Patrick were a little annoying at the beginning, but otherwise I just can't understand why more people don't like this one. 8.5/10

SpongebobMaster

This is the most underrated episode of the entire show in my opinion. It's one of my personal highlights of Season 5. The hi-jinks in the cave were really funny in my opinion and I really enjoyed Sandy's role as well. My only gripe with it was that SpongeBob and Patrick were a little annoying at the beginning, but otherwise I just can't understand why more people don't like this one. 8.5/10
sandy felt too out of character and it wasn't funnny hijinks its freaky instead of funny

Back