095a. The Inmates of Summer

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
I really like this episode. We have a great plot with SpongeBob and Patrick going to prison. Normally I hate it when they do plots like this but unlike the bad "Toy Store of Doom" I can actually root for them here. This episode actually takes advantage of the setting, it's well-paced, and it's funny.

8/10

Baloo

I GAVE YOU A JOB!
I don't like this episode due to Spongebob and Patrick being annoyingly oblivious and being boring at parts, but I do like the warden, and he makes this episode "Bad, but not that bad" instead of "Really bad".

4/10

I like this episode. The warden was a funny character, and I like how oblivious SpongeBob and Patrick are to the fact that they're in a prison. The only complaint I have is that the beginning dragged out a little bit, but that's about it.

Ranking so far:
1. Krabs a la Mode (A+)
2. Roller Cowards (A+)
3. New Digs (A)
4. Bucket Sweet Bucket (A)
5. Blackjack (A)
6. The Krusty Plate (A)
7. Atlantis SquarePantis (A)
8. Spy Buddies (A)
9. Sing a Song of Patrick (A)
10. Friend or Foe (A)
11. SpongeBob vs. the Patty Gadget (A)
12. The Inmates of Summer (A)
13. Money Talks (B)
14. Goo Goo Gas (B)
15. Picture Day (B)
16. Mermaid Man vs. SpongeBob (B)
17. The Krusty Sponge (B)
18. Boat Smarts (B)
19. Blackened Sponge (B)
20. Night Light (C)
21. Rise and Shine (C)
22. The Donut of Shame (C)
23. Slimy Dancing (C)
24. Le Big Switch (C)
25. Pat No Pay (C)
26. Fungus Among Us (D)
27. The Original Fry Cook (D)
28. Good Ol' Whatshisname (D)
29. A Flea in Her Dome (D)
30. Breath of Fresh Squidward (E)
31. Waiting (E)
32. To Love a Patty (F)

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
I have mixed feelings on this one. Part of me really wanted to like it while another part of me really wanted to dislike it. Spongebob and Patrick's antics both annoy me and entertain me. The warden character in this episode is really entertaining, though, and was pretty much the only standout thing about this episode, apart from the play I guess. While the bulk of the episode is pretty mediocre, the warden is really what makes it worth watching, and I can credit it for that at least.

Decent episode (6/10)

1. Roller Cowards (10)
2. Spy Buddies (9)
3. Spongebob vs. the Patty Gadget (8)
4. Sing a Song of Patrick (8)
5. The Krusty Plate (8)
6. Friend or Foe (8)
7. Krabs à La Mode (8)
8. The Krusty Sponge (7)
9. Goo Goo Gas (7)
10. Blackened Sponge (7)
11. New Digs (7)
12. Mermaidman vs. Spongebob (7)
13. Bucket Sweet Bucket (7)
14. Picture Day (6)
15. Money Talks (6)
16. Blackjack (6)
17. The Donut of Shame (6)
18. The Inmates of Summer (6)
19. Night Light (5)
20. Boat Smarts (5)
21. Rise and Shine (5)
22. Slimy Dancing (5)
23. Breath of Fresh Squidward (5)
24. The Original Fry Cook (5)
25. Le Big Switch (4)
26. Good Ol' Whatshisname (4)
27. Pat No Pay (4)
28. A Flea in Her Dome (4)
29. To Love A Patty (3)
30. Waiting (3)
31. Atlantis Squarepantis (3)
32. Fungus Among Us (2)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
Ehhhhhhhhh i have a confession to make i thought this one was a mixed bag. I thought the warden was a funny character but i legit almost fell asleep during this episode. This one was just boring but that play scene was pretty neat.

Rating: Okay Episode

Rankings:
Roller Cowards (Perfect)
Friend or Foe (Perfect)
Mermaid Man Vs. SpongeBob (Perfect)
Goo Goo Gas (Amazing!)
Spy Buddies (Amazing!)
SpongeBob Vs. The Patty Gadget (Amazing!)
Atlantis SquarePantis (Great)
Sing a Song of Patrick (Great)
Bucket Sweet Bucket (Great)
Krab a la Mode (Great)
The Donut of Shame (Great)
Slimy Dancing (Great)
BlackJack (Great)
Picture Day (Great)
Breath of Fresh Squidward (Great)
Rise and Shine (Great)
The Krusty Plate (Great)
Le Big Switch (Great)
Boat Smarts (Meh)
A Flea in her Dome (Meh)
Fungus Among Us (Meh)
Night Light (Alright)
The Krusty Sponge (Okay)
The Original Fry Cook (Okay)
New Digs (Okay)
The Inmates of Summer (Okay)
Good Ol' Whathisname (Bad)
Money Talks (Bad)
Blackened Sponge (Bad)
Pat No Pay (Horrible)
To Love a Patty (Terrible)
Waiting (Terrible)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Next up, we've got "The Inmates of Summer", and man, I'm about to bamboozle y'all with this one. Yet again I am here with an episode that is very, very forgotten. And yet again I find myself being very much against the episode being forgotten. And not even because I don’t like episodes being forgotten in general, but because I quite enjoy “The Inmates of Summer”. It reminds me a lot of “Mrs. Puff You’re Fired”, actually.

For the beginning of this episode, I’m almost shocked at how quickly things get moving, as we see SpongeBob for like two seconds before Grass Skirt Chase starts playing and Patrick blasts onto the scene. Like it feels like I’m about to watch a much shorter episode or something, and they wanted things to get going fast. But hey, I ain’t complaining. Also, SpongeBob is adorable in his little camp outfit. Speaking of camp, this is another one of those episodes that toes the line between adult and child for SpongeBob’s character, given that on one hand he’s going to summer camp, while on the other he ends up at a prison camp lmao. It’s also kinda funny how SpongeBob is left behind because he’s saying goodbye to Patrick, like that camp counselor is quite incompetent. I also kind of like how this first part of the episode, like first minute or so, is more visual storytelling than anything else, given most of the dialogue is just SpongeBob and Patrick crying, and we see what happens visually rather than getting some exposition or something, not that SpongeBob SquarePants is a show rife with exposition, but y’all know what I mean.

Anywho, it doesn’t take long for us to get introduced to our stand-out character of this episode, the warden. The way SpongeBob and Patrick just assume he’s a porter, and his reaction to that, is pretty funny and sets a good tone for what we’re gonna be seeing from this guy for the rest of the episode. His design is also really good. But seriously, this guy gets me laughing so hard throughout this entire episode. His utter disdain at SpongeBob and Patrick daring to enjoy themselves is absolutely hilarious, especially with the great dialogue he’s given and the delivery by Ronald Lee Ermey on all of his lines. Fun fact, Ermey used to be a Marine Corps drill instructor. I bet he used some of that energy when recording his lines.

As for the rest of the episode, I just love SpongeBob and Patrick on the prison island. The way the other prisoners assume they are tough when they’re really just dumb, and then the way they just soak in the chum and enjoy themselves lmao, undermining every effort to discipline them and break their spirits...all of that is just great. SpongeBob’s endless optimism is always enjoyable to watch, and I love that he and Patrick want to improve everyone else’s experiences too. His idea to have a play is super adorable and just so SpongeBob, and it’s made even better by the warden’s reaction to it. And then things just continue to improve when the prisoners realize that they can escape by using the play to their advantage (during a pretty hilarious scene). I love that we get that funny scene of the prisoners plotting to escape, because it makes our watching of the play even more entertaining as we anticipate what is to come, and we can feel some suspense rising while watching the production. As for the play itself, this was a pretty entertaining scene, and the frequent reaction shots of the warden are great too. And then of course all of this goodness and anticipation come to a head once the prisoners try to make their escape, only for it to be revealed with perfect comedic timing that the boat is completely nonfunctional.

What’s even better is that this isn’t even the end of the episode, and there’s more fun to come. The warden’s reaction to this mutiny and blatant offense to musical theater is of course great, as I’ve been prone to say throughout this episode. He really is a highlight of this whole thing, what can I say? Like this episode would not be anywhere near as funny without him. And then of course we get a payoff from the very beginning of the episode where SpongeBob was left behind, with that incompetent camp counselor finally coming back to retrieve him. I love how disgusted and revolted the warden is by the activities on Sun Fun Island, not to mention how the criminals are too. And I love how in the end, SpongeBob and Patrick hate these activities too; it’s a great call-back to SpongeBob’s earlier comment about the Sun Fun boat looking boring, and to the warden finally achieving his goal of breaking SpongeBob and Patrick’s spirits. Excellent ending to this episode.

I really like “The Inmates of Summer”, and I already know it’s insanely underrated. For some reason, more than other episodes, I feel like I’m better able to articulate just why this episode works. Like why it’s funny and enjoyable beyond it just being those qualities. See, this episode works primarily because SpongeBob never realizes how screwed he is, and never hates where he’s at. His endless optimism (along with the warden) really make this episode great. Because the environment is already sad and desperate, and SpongeBob (+ Patrick) is a great contrast to that. Not to mention, because the warden is so stringent and rigid, he’s a great foil to SpongeBob and Patrick, which really helps the humor there. And like I said before, the voice acting for the warden is fantastic which really adds to his character. Apparently he has appeared once more, in The Patrick Star Show, albeit with a different voice, as unfortunately Emley passed away in 2018. Well, even if it was just a one-off appearance, I appreciate the work he did in this episode, because it’s great. And because this episode is so hilarious and one I take no issue with, it’s definitely going in my “Amazing” tier.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9.4/10

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
Next up, we've got "The Inmates of Summer", and man, I'm about to bamboozle y'all with this one. Yet again I am here with an episode that is very, very forgotten. And yet again I find myself being very much against the episode being forgotten. And not even because I don’t like episodes being forgotten in general, but because I quite enjoy “The Inmates of Summer”. It reminds me a lot of “Mrs. Puff You’re Fired”, actually.

For the beginning of this episode, I’m almost shocked at how quickly things get moving, as we see SpongeBob for like two seconds before Grass Skirt Chase starts playing and Patrick blasts onto the scene. Like it feels like I’m about to watch a much shorter episode or something, and they wanted things to get going fast. But hey, I ain’t complaining. Also, SpongeBob is adorable in his little camp outfit. Speaking of camp, this is another one of those episodes that toes the line between adult and child for SpongeBob’s character, given that on one hand he’s going to summer camp, while on the other he ends up at a prison camp lmao. It’s also kinda funny how SpongeBob is left behind because he’s saying goodbye to Patrick, like that camp counselor is quite incompetent. I also kind of like how this first part of the episode, like first minute or so, is more visual storytelling than anything else, given most of the dialogue is just SpongeBob and Patrick crying, and we see what happens visually rather than getting some exposition or something, not that SpongeBob SquarePants is a show rife with exposition, but y’all know what I mean.

Anywho, it doesn’t take long for us to get introduced to our stand-out character of this episode, the warden. The way SpongeBob and Patrick just assume he’s a porter, and his reaction to that, is pretty funny and sets a good tone for what we’re gonna be seeing from this guy for the rest of the episode. His design is also really good. But seriously, this guy gets me laughing so hard throughout this entire episode. His utter disdain at SpongeBob and Patrick daring to enjoy themselves is absolutely hilarious, especially with the great dialogue he’s given and the delivery by Ronald Lee Ermey on all of his lines. Fun fact, Ermey used to be a Marine Corps drill instructor. I bet he used some of that energy when recording his lines.

As for the rest of the episode, I just love SpongeBob and Patrick on the prison island. The way the other prisoners assume they are tough when they’re really just dumb, and then the way they just soak in the chum and enjoy themselves lmao, undermining every effort to discipline them and break their spirits...all of that is just great. SpongeBob’s endless optimism is always enjoyable to watch, and I love that he and Patrick want to improve everyone else’s experiences too. His idea to have a play is super adorable and just so SpongeBob, and it’s made even better by the warden’s reaction to it. And then things just continue to improve when the prisoners realize that they can escape by using the play to their advantage (during a pretty hilarious scene). I love that we get that funny scene of the prisoners plotting to escape, because it makes our watching of the play even more entertaining as we anticipate what is to come, and we can feel some suspense rising while watching the production. As for the play itself, this was a pretty entertaining scene, and the frequent reaction shots of the warden are great too. And then of course all of this goodness and anticipation come to a head once the prisoners try to make their escape, only for it to be revealed with perfect comedic timing that the boat is completely nonfunctional.

What’s even better is that this isn’t even the end of the episode, and there’s more fun to come. The warden’s reaction to this mutiny and blatant offense to musical theater is of course great, as I’ve been prone to say throughout this episode. He really is a highlight of this whole thing, what can I say? Like this episode would not be anywhere near as funny without him. And then of course we get a payoff from the very beginning of the episode where SpongeBob was left behind, with that incompetent camp counselor finally coming back to retrieve him. I love how disgusted and revolted the warden is by the activities on Sun Fun Island, not to mention how the criminals are too. And I love how in the end, SpongeBob and Patrick hate these activities too; it’s a great call-back to SpongeBob’s earlier comment about the Sun Fun boat looking boring, and to the warden finally achieving his goal of breaking SpongeBob and Patrick’s spirits. Excellent ending to this episode.

I really like “The Inmates of Summer”, and I already know it’s insanely underrated. For some reason, more than other episodes, I feel like I’m better able to articulate just why this episode works. Like why it’s funny and enjoyable beyond it just being those qualities. See, this episode works primarily because SpongeBob never realizes how screwed he is, and never hates where he’s at. His endless optimism (along with the warden) really make this episode great. Because the environment is already sad and desperate, and SpongeBob (+ Patrick) is a great contrast to that. Not to mention, because the warden is so stringent and rigid, he’s a great foil to SpongeBob and Patrick, which really helps the humor there. And like I said before, the voice acting for the warden is fantastic which really adds to his character. Apparently he has appeared once more, in The Patrick Star Show, albeit with a different voice, as unfortunately Emley passed away in 2018. Well, even if it was just a one-off appearance, I appreciate the work he did in this episode, because it’s great. And because this episode is so hilarious and one I take no issue with, it’s definitely going in my “Amazing” tier.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score: 9.4/10
this episode gives me kamp koral vibes, i dont know why but it just does

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
this episode gives me kamp koral vibes, i dont know why but it just does
I'd imagine it's the whole camp aspect. But also this is an episode I can imagine being from Kamp Koral too lol, from what I remember seeing of it a year ago (man I need to do a rewatch and catch up)

SpongebobMaster

The Guy Who Reviews UHHHHH
toy store of doom done right
9.5/10
  1. Friend or foe (10/10)
  2. The Donut Of Shame (10/10)
  3. Roller Cowards (10/10)
  4. Krabs à La Mode (10/10)
  5. Spy Buddies (10/10)
  6. Spongebob Vs The Patty Gadget (9.5/10)
  7. Bucket Sweet Bucket (9.5/10)
  8. The Krusty Sponge (9.5/10)
  9. Sing A Song Of Patrick (9.5/10)
  10. Inmates Of Summer (9.5/10)
  11. The Krusty Plate (9/10)
  12. Rise And Shine (9/10)
  13. New Digs (8.5/10)
  14. Blackened Sponge (8.5/10)
  15. BlackJack (8.5/10)
  16. Night Light (8.5/10)
  17. Money talks (8.5/10)
  18. Goo Goo Gas (7.5/10)