094a. Blackened Sponge

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Underrated, I LOVE this episode. I'm going to go through what makes this episode work so well.

The plot is genius, I think we've all had times where we've had to hide embarrassing secrets, SpongeBob's characterization here is amazing because he's so relateable. He's shown to not be very mature but he isn't a jerk and he even gets comeuppance at the end. There are also so many great jokes that it it feels on-par with season 2. SpongeBob's insane stories are amazing and witty. With a great plot, jokes, and characterizations, I really question why this episode barely gets mentioned.

9.5/10

Captain Stupid

Moby Dollar
This episode is so underrated! The story is great (though the ending is kinda sad), Spongebob "transforming" from a wimp into a macho is really funny, and the escalation of his lie is hysterical as well.
The best part of the episode, by far, was the first two minutes at the Krusty Krab, particularly when told Grandma he would not repeat himself -and blaming her for saying "I don't wanna know how you got your black eye". :hehe:
But who said that? I always thought that was the Narrator. =/

Oh, and Spongebob intimidating Squidward, yelling at someone for interrupting him and screaming "FOOTBALL" afterwards... :1st: Pure gold! :xP:

I really like this episode! It's VERY underrated!
9/10

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Yeah, I'm a furry. It's not my fault. Greg Baldwin had to give such a sexy voice to Jack M Crazyfish. But guess what? I'm not gonna run screaming about it like how I used to do with things I found attractive. I accept the degeneracy and move on to talking about DpongeBob.

I like this episode, but it's not perfect. I like the plot, but I feel like more could have been done with it. I like the jokes, but there weren't enough of them. And I feel like SpongeBob didn't get a big enough comeuppance for his lies.

Ranking so far:
1. Krabs a la Mode (A+)
2. Roller Cowards (A+)
3. New Digs (A)
4. Bucket Sweet Bucket (A)
5. Blackjack (A)
6. The Krusty Plate (A)
7. Atlantis SquarePantis (A)
8. Spy Buddies (A)
9. Sing a Song of Patrick (A)
10. Friend or Foe (A)
11. SpongeBob vs. the Patty Gadget (A)
12. Money Talks (B)
13. Goo Goo Gas (B)
14. Picture Day (B)
15. The Krusty Sponge (B)
16. Boat Smarts (B)
17. Blackened Sponge (B)
18. Night Light (C)
19. Rise and Shine (C)
20. The Donut of Shame (C)
21. Slimy Dancing (C)
22. Le Big Switch (C)
23. Pat No Pay (C)
24. Fungus Among Us (D)
25. The Original Fry Cook (D)
26. Good Ol' Whatshisname (D)
27. A Flea in Her Dome (D)
28. Breath of Fresh Squidward (E)
29. Waiting (E)
30. To Love a Patty (F)

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
I liked this one. The scenarios that Spongebob came up with were perfectly ridiculous and really entertaining. The way he got all cocky was a nice callback to that As Seen on TV type shtick. I will admit that it did get a little dragged out at some points, and Spongebob was slightly too annoying, but this episode is overall pretty entertaining with some nice characterizations and lines.

Good episode (7/10)

1. Roller Cowards (10)
2. Spy Buddies (8)
3. Spongebob vs. the Patty Gadget (8)
4. Sing a Song of Patrick (8)
5. The Krusty Plate (8)
6. Friend or Foe (8)
7. Krabs à La Mode (8)
8. The Krusty Sponge (7)
9. Goo Goo Gas (7)
10. Blackened Sponge (7)
11. New Digs (7)
12. Bucket Sweet Bucket (7)
13. Picture Day (6)
14. Money Talks (6)
15. Blackjack (6)
16. The Donut of Shame (6)
17. Night Light (5)
18. Boat Smarts (5)
19. Rise and Shine (5)
20. Slimy Dancing (5)
21. Breath of Fresh Squidward (5)
22. The Original Fry Cook (5)
23. Le Big Switch (4)
24. Good Ol' Whatshisname (4)
25. Pat No Pay (4)
26. A Flea in Her Dome (4)
27. To Love A Patty (3)
28. Waiting (3)
29. Atlantis Squarepantis (3)
30. Fungus Among Us (2)

Last edited:

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
I hate to admit it my friends but i didnt like this episode. The idea of SpongeBob accusing some stranger from dream in the beginning for giving him a black eye was downright dumb. This one is also boring. But at least everyone nice by saying "What happened to your eye SpongeBob?" or something like that.

Rating: Bad Episode

Rankings:
Roller Cowards (Perfect)
Friend or Foe (Perfect)
Goo Goo Gas (Amazing!)
Spy Buddies (Amazing!)
SpongeBob Vs. The Patty Gadget (Amazing!)
Atlantis SquarePantis (Great)
Sing a Song of Patrick (Great)
Bucket Sweet Bucket (Great)
Krab a la Mode (Great)
The Donut of Shame (Great)
Slimy Dancing (Great)
BlackJack (Great)
Picture Day (Great)
Breath of Fresh Squidward (Great)
Rise and Shine (Great)
The Krusty Plate (Great)
Le Big Switch (Great)
Boat Smarts (Meh)
A Flea in her Dome (Meh)
Fungus Among Us (Meh)
Night Light (Alright)
The Krusty Sponge (Okay)
The Original Fry Cook (Okay)
New Digs (Okay)
Good Ol' Whathisname (Bad)
Money Talks (Bad)
Blackened Sponge (Bad)
Pat No Pay (Horrible)
To Love a Patty (Terrible)
Waiting (Terrible)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Coming up next, we coincidentally have another episode with 'black' in the name in "Blackened Sponge". And just like "BlackJack", this episode is super underrated. I feel like this is an oft-forgotten episode just based on vibes alone, but I also remember this episode very well so it’s hard for me to tell. This episode more subtly toes the child-adult SpongeBob line, I’d say, because SpongeBob is acting like a child but not the most…obvious child-like behavior. But he’s trying to seem tough and cool and is lying through his teeth to do that using a fantastical story just like a child would. But obviously he’s doing all of this at work, so…adult. I love when the line is played with like this, it’s very fun and demonstrates this show’s unique side.

This episode starts out decently enough, the dream is…fine. I don’t have much to say about it. It’s not super funny but it’s not trying to be (for the most part), and SpongeBob’s dream design is weird. I will say that the whole “is not” “is to” part is funnier than it should be lmao, so I’ll give credit where credit is due. And then when SpongeBob gets up, I’m sure that somewhere someone is out there complaining about how stilted and slow and methodical the morning routine is, with SpongeBob trying to get the toothpaste lid off, then walking back to his room and getting a wrench, but I kind of like it. It functions as a good build up for what we’re about to see, which is SpongeBob getting a black eye because of the combined efforts of a toothpaste cap and wrench (which is inherently funny to me). Not everything has to be go-go-go all the time, and sometimes I worry that I give off that impression when reviewing. Sure, I like an episode with nonstop gags, but I can appreciate a slow build too. It just needs to be done correctly, and so far this episode has not made me be like “this isn’t working”.

As for the black eye itself, it is definitely uncomfortable to look at, but characters react appropriately to it which helps a lot, and also hey, that's how black eyes are in real life too. So I can’t hate too much. I’ve never gotten a black eye and I have absolutely no plans to because that sounds painful as H. Now of course, I’m not a fan of SpongeBob crying over his black eye, that was doing a little too much and it was grating. But at least SpongeBob recognizes that his situation is embarrassing, and that’s why he starts lying. I love how defensive Patrick gets over SpongeBob too, that was sweet.

Once SpongeBob starts embellishing his story, it’s really fun to see how far he keeps stretching his story, adding new, crazier details with each retelling. I like to compare the stories in the end. And also, the retold stories are really fun to listen to, especially as they get more and more absurd. I love how SpongeBob gets more and more convinced of his badassery (and more and more egotistical) as he continues to lie. Like with Patrick, he asked about the black eye, while all Sandy did was offer some remedies for it, and SpongeBob started telling the story unprompted. The way SpongeBob walks into the Krusty Krab, strutting his “stuff”, is hilarious. And it is here that I am reminded of “As Seen On TV”, except I think this episode kind of does it better (oh boy, is that an unpopular opinion?). I just think SpongeBob’s conceit makes more sense here, and is far more endearing than “As Seen On TV”. I love how he gets on the intercom and starts talking s*** too, that’s just too funny, especially Tom Kenny’s delivery on “I’m talking to you grandma!” And SpongeBob’s thesaurus talk is great, and I love all the interruptions in his story, they’re really funny. The fact that no one really seems to buy into SpongeBob's BS (except Patrick) just makes the whole thing even funnier to me, because the only person SpongeBob is fooling is himself.

And then of course, we have the moment when Jack M. Crazyfish himself shows up at the restaurant! The way SpongeBob says “he’s real” has always stood out in my mind, and Tom Kenny gets a 100/10 on that delivery lmao. Also, ~Pugs Educational Moment~, but this episode touches on something that’s actually real, which is that all the people and faces you see in your dreams are real, because your brain cannot make up new faces! Yes, even when the people in your dreams are unfamiliar to you, it could just be facial information stored by your brain by someone off the street or something. So isn’t that cool? That means that SpongeBob perhaps saw Jack M. Crazyfish somewhere before, and his brain made him in SpongeBob’s dreams, even if SpongeBob wasn’t consciously aware of the guy’s existence. Okay, that was your ~Pugs Educational Moment~ of this review, let’s get back to it. I love how SpongeBob immediately s***s his pants when Jack M. Crazyfish shows up, and confesses to everything in a very entertaining manner, by recreating the accident. And then I love how the guy ends up being very similar to his dream self, cheating at rock paper scissors, which ends the episode quite nicely.

"Blackened Sponge" is a hilarious, hilarious episode that only has a couple minor issues here and there with very uncomfortable shots of the black eye, and SpongeBob's crying being grating. Other than that, I've got no issue with this episode whatsoever, and I think it's very underrated. Or at the very least, it lacks recognition. Maybe that's the phrase I keep searching for.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score: 9.1/10

Squidwardiard

Frozen Cephalopod
This episode may have some foreshadowing. I've heard that the people in your dreams can't be created. They can only be based on people you've seen. This fact could serve as a hint that Jack M. Crazyfish is real and might appear before he actually does

(EDIT: I just noticed Pugs4Thugs wrote about this dream phenomenon already...)

SpongebobMaster

The Guy Who Reviews UHHHHH
I hate to admit it my friends but i didnt like this episode. The idea of SpongeBob accusing some stranger from dream in the beginning for giving him a black eye was downright dumb. This one is also boring. But at least everyone nice by saying "What happened to your eye SpongeBob?" or something like that.
Do you still think its bad?

SpongebobMaster

I really like this episode its fun and the start is pretty neat and sometimes we come up with people on our dreams that turn out to be real! really cool huh? I give this a 8.5/10

SpongebobMaster

I really like this episode its fun and the start is pretty neat and sometimes we come up with people on our dreams that turn out to be real! really cool huh? I give this a 8.5/10
holds up
  1. Friend or foe (10/10)
  2. The Donut Of Shame (10/10)
  3. Roller Cowards (10/10)
  4. Krabs à La Mode (10/10)
  5. Spy Buddies (10/10)
  6. Spongebob Vs The Patty Gadget (9.5/10)
  7. Bucket Sweet Bucket (9.5/10)
  8. The Krusty Sponge (9.5/10)
  9. Sing A Song Of Patrick (9.5/10)
  10. The Krusty Plate (9/10)
  11. Rise And Shine (9/10)
  12. New Digs (8.5/10)
  13. Blackened Sponge (8.5/10)
  14. BlackJack (8.5/10)
  15. Night Light (8.5/10)
  16. Money talks (8.5/10)
  17. Goo Goo Gas (7.5/10)
  18. Breath Of Fresh Squidward (7.5/10)