093c. Blackjack

Mrs.Squidward

Imitation Krab
I actually kinda liked the episode. It had some nice jokes for example the house of spongebob´s parents being evacuated and spongebob thinking it is because of Blackjack. I also liked his uncle and him misunderstanding everything. The ending is cool too, did not expect Blackjack to be so small. I would give it a 8/10 rating

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
I feel like this episode could've been so much better if they just took out the entire section at Uncle Captain Blue's house. It was really nothing more than filler and that time could've been used to build up the plot more. The build up is decent in this episode but, like I said, it could've been better without the needless filler. The episode is also relatively humorless as well, but there were a few jokes. I will say that I did like how Spongebob stood up for himself in the end, and as for the twist ending... well I don't really know how to feel about it. I guess it was unexpected but it was a little strange. It's not bad, but it's not great either. Consider it meh.

Decent episode (6/10)

1. Roller Cowards (10)
2. Spy Buddies (8)
3. Spongebob vs. the Patty Gadget (8)
4. Sing a Song of Patrick (8)
5. The Krusty Plate (8)
6. Friend or Foe (8)
7. Krabs à La Mode (8)
8. The Krusty Sponge (7)
9. Goo Goo Gas (7)
10. New Digs (7)
11. Bucket Sweet Bucket (7)
12. Picture Day (6)
13. Money Talks (6)
14. Blackjack (6)
15. The Donut of Shame (6)
16. Night Light (5)
17. Boat Smarts (5)
18. Rise and Shine (5)
19. Slimy Dancing (5)
20. Breath of Fresh Squidward (5)
21. The Original Fry Cook (5)
22. Le Big Switch (5)
23. Good Ol' Whatshisname (4)
24. Pat No Pay (4)
25. A Flea in Her Dome (4)
26. To Love A Patty (3)
27. Waiting (3)
28. Atlantis Squarepantis (3)
29. Fungus Among Us (2)

GlitchyGoomba

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Blackjack is definitely the most interesting of all the family members Season 5 introduces. I really like how the twist ending was set up, with it being revealed that he had shrunk after so much time. It didn't make much sense, but at least it surprised me, which is what a lot of twist endings from the show fail at. The plot as a whole is leaning towards the suspense aspect, and I will say that it does it decently well by tricking us into thinking Spongebob's parents were kidnapped, and sprinkling in a small amount of jokes along the way. The big problem however, is the scene of Spongebob completing all these tasks for Uncle Captain Blue, it's very clearly padding out the length of the episode, and not doing a good job at it.

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
This one was fun and very filled with suspense. Also my favorite production track was heard yet again since Walking Small.

Rating: Great Episode

Rankings:
Roller Cowards (Perfect)
Friend or Foe (Perfect)
Goo Goo Gas (Amazing!)
Spy Buddies (Amazing!)
SpongeBob Vs. The Patty Gadget (Amazing!)
Atlantis SquarePantis (Great)
Sing a Song of Patrick (Great)
Bucket Sweet Bucket (Great)
Krab a la Mode (Great)
The Donut of Shame (Great)
Slimy Dancing (Great)
BlackJack (Great)
Picture Day (Great)
Breath of Fresh Squidward (Great)
Rise and Shine (Great)
The Krusty Plate (Great)
Le Big Switch (Great)
Boat Smarts (Meh)
A Flea in her Dome (Meh)
Fungus Among Us (Meh)
Night Light (Alright)
The Krusty Sponge (Okay)
The Original Fry Cook (Okay)
New Digs (Okay)
Good Ol' Whathisname (Bad)
Money Talks (Bad)
Pat No Pay (Horrible)
To Love a Patty (Terrible)
Waiting (Terrible)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
For today's episode, we've got "BlackJack"! And it probably says something about me that the first thing I thought of was the card game, doesn't it? I promise I'm not a gambler lol. Not that there's anything wrong with wanting to add some risk in your life, I suppose. Anyway, this is an episode I’ve always had a soft spot for. I don’t know why, that’s just how it’s always been. I just really loved the atmosphere of this episode, the whole mystery aspect that then transitions over to tense thriller type stuff (all comedic of course). I also just thought the writing was pretty clean here. Like take the beginning scene for example, Gary is the one to grab the letter, which covers it in slime, which also causes SpongeBob not to see what the return address for the letter is, which would’ve aided in settling the episode’s main conflict! We love good writing. I also really like that this episode shines some light on the SquarePants family, like this is the first episode to really do that (and coincidentally we get a second one this season in “Stanley S. SquarePants", although one episode does it a lot better than the other, that’s for sure).

Continuing this discussion of the beginning part of the episode, I liked how the letter looked like every cliche ransom note ever with the magazine cut out words. I also think it’s hilarious that SpongeBob has a cousin who went to prison. Okay I’m back on this but again I love that we learn more about SpongeBob’s family in this episode. One thing about this show is that we don’t really know much about characters’ families, which when you think about it is a little weird for a sitcom, as sitcoms are so frequently family-oriented (like where the sitcom is about a family), unless it’s one of those sitcoms about friends in their 20s or something. Anyway, back to the episode, but when BlackJack appeared I had to pause the TV because I recognized that voice…Bender?? Yes, this is my reveal that I’ve watched some of Futurama. But really I recognize John DiMaggio’s Jake the Dog voice more, it’s just that BlackJack sounds more like Blender to me than Jake...at least on first listen.

Okay, back to the episode for real this time. SpongeBob’s little kid design is absolutely adorable, and the flashback makes me laugh which is probably bad because little SpongeBob is being beat up but I’m sorry but it’s hilarious. And then of course I have to say I love how SpongeBob immediately was like “I gotta help my parents”, he’s got a good heart, and I think it’s funny how serious he’s taking the situation.

Once we get to SpongeBob’s parents’ house, we see that mystery element I mentioned earlier moving full steam ahead, and I love it. And of course we see SpongeBob jumping to quite a few...far-fetched conclusions. Like why would BlackJack attack his aunt and uncle? But also BlackJack is not helping his case by leaving these ransom looking letters lmao. When SpongeBob thinks the the cookie is his grandma, I’m dying laughing at this point. This episode comes through the with the dramatics. And SpongeBob himself is really coming through with the hilarious reactions, it’s really all just so great. And then the bit with Uncle Captain Blue is great, this is a good example of a kind of misunderstanding joke that I quite enjoy. Poor SpongeBob really just doing all the work in his uncle’s house lmao. And I love when he finally has enough and just breaks the guy’s record player. And then I love that all Uncle Captain Blue does for SpongeBob is just make him increasingly scared, it’s a great and hilarious way to build tension. The fact that BlackJack lives right next door is hilarious. SpongeBob’s increasingly dramatic daydreams are a true highlight of this whole episode too, but really the humor in this episode is top notch, and you know I love seeing SpongeBob freak out over stuff.

And then of course we get the reveal that there was nothing to be afraid of after all, which releases all this tension that’s been building up and straining on poor SpongeBob. And on us too, though I’ve just been laughing the whole time so, not too much tension lol. But anyway, I like that the explanation for everything makes perfect sense too, and isn’t too far-fetched. I don’t mind bizarre in SpongeBob SquarePants at all, but I think this episode works better where SpongeBob’s interpretation of events is the insane thing compared to the real deal. And then of course we get the final reveal that BlackJack is the “little man”, and there really isn’t anything to be afraid of for SpongeBob…especially because BlackJack is at most a litterer (unless this episode is a critique of the US prison system which does nothing to rehabilitate but actually just traumatizes prisoners, abuses them, and makes them more likely to reoffend? Hey, I'm getting my high horse moment in there. And this is a subject I feel passionately about so...I'm not gonna apologize for saying what I wanted to say).

I really enjoyed rewatching "BlackJack". It's a really funny episode with some great writing to boot, and that's all I really need to put an episode in the "Amazing" tier unless there's some relatively big problem with it, which there isn't in this case. Also, this episode is the last third episode segment we'll be getting for a while, which is sad, because I kind of liked what season 5 did with the varying episode lengths. It also helped me get reviews done quickly, that's for sure lol.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9.3/10

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
For today's episode, we've got "BlackJack"! And it probably says something about me that the first thing I thought of was the card game, doesn't it? I promise I'm not a gambler lol. Not that there's anything wrong with wanting to add some risk in your life, I suppose. Anyway, this is an episode I’ve always had a soft spot for. I don’t know why, that’s just how it’s always been. I just really loved the atmosphere of this episode, the whole mystery aspect that then transitions over to tense thriller type stuff (all comedic of course). I also just thought the writing was pretty clean here. Like take the beginning scene for example, Gary is the one to grab the letter, which covers it in slime, which also causes SpongeBob not to see what the return address for the letter is, which would’ve aided in settling the episode’s main conflict! We love good writing. I also really like that this episode shines some light on the SquarePants family, like this is the first episode to really do that (and coincidentally we get a second one this season in “Stanley S. SquarePants", although one episode does it a lot better than the other, that’s for sure).

Continuing this discussion of the beginning part of the episode, I liked how the letter looked like every cliche ransom note ever with the magazine cut out words. I also think it’s hilarious that SpongeBob has a cousin who went to prison. Okay I’m back on this but again I love that we learn more about SpongeBob’s family in this episode. One thing about this show is that we don’t really know much about characters’ families, which when you think about it is a little weird for a sitcom, as sitcoms are so frequently family-oriented (like where the sitcom is about a family), unless it’s one of those sitcoms about friends in their 20s or something. Anyway, back to the episode, but when BlackJack appeared I had to pause the TV because I recognized that voice…Bender?? Yes, this is my reveal that I’ve watched some of Futurama. But really I recognize John DiMaggio’s Jake the Dog voice more, it’s just that BlackJack sounds more like Blender to me than Jake...at least on first listen.

Okay, back to the episode for real this time. SpongeBob’s little kid design is absolutely adorable, and the flashback makes me laugh which is probably bad because little SpongeBob is being beat up but I’m sorry but it’s hilarious. And then of course I have to say I love how SpongeBob immediately was like “I gotta help my parents”, he’s got a good heart, and I think it’s funny how serious he’s taking the situation.

Once we get to SpongeBob’s parents’ house, we see that mystery element I mentioned earlier moving full steam ahead, and I love it. And of course we see SpongeBob jumping to quite a few...far-fetched conclusions. Like why would BlackJack attack his aunt and uncle? But also BlackJack is not helping his case by leaving these ransom looking letters lmao. When SpongeBob thinks the the cookie is his grandma, I’m dying laughing at this point. This episode comes through the with the dramatics. And SpongeBob himself is really coming through with the hilarious reactions, it’s really all just so great. And then the bit with Uncle Captain Blue is great, this is a good example of a kind of misunderstanding joke that I quite enjoy. Poor SpongeBob really just doing all the work in his uncle’s house lmao. And I love when he finally has enough and just breaks the guy’s record player. And then I love that all Uncle Captain Blue does for SpongeBob is just make him increasingly scared, it’s a great and hilarious way to build tension. The fact that BlackJack lives right next door is hilarious. SpongeBob’s increasingly dramatic daydreams are a true highlight of this whole episode too, but really the humor in this episode is top notch, and you know I love seeing SpongeBob freak out over stuff.

And then of course we get the reveal that there was nothing to be afraid of after all, which releases all this tension that’s been building up and straining on poor SpongeBob. And on us too, though I’ve just been laughing the whole time so, not too much tension lol. But anyway, I like that the explanation for everything makes perfect sense too, and isn’t too far-fetched. I don’t mind bizarre in SpongeBob SquarePants at all, but I think this episode works better where SpongeBob’s interpretation of events is the insane thing compared to the real deal. And then of course we get the final reveal that BlackJack is the “little man”, and there really isn’t anything to be afraid of for SpongeBob…especially because BlackJack is at most a litterer (unless this episode is a critique of the US prison system which does nothing to rehabilitate but actually just traumatizes prisoners, abuses them, and makes them more likely to reoffend? Hey, I'm getting my high horse moment in there. And this is a subject I feel passionately about so...I'm not gonna apologize for saying what I wanted to say).

I really enjoyed rewatching "BlackJack". It's a really funny episode with some great writing to boot, and that's all I really need to put an episode in the "Amazing" tier unless there's some relatively big problem with it, which there isn't in this case. Also, this episode is the last third episode segment we'll be getting for a while, which is sad, because I kind of liked what season 5 did with the varying episode lengths. It also helped me get reviews done quickly, that's for sure lol.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score: 9.3/10
wait this episode wasnt from season 3, i remember it being in season 3 lol

SpongebobMaster

Dollarbob enjoyer
this episode was mostly good until the ending like we don't even get a explanation of what happened? I guess the explanation is that SpongeBob was smaller when he and blackjack were younger? That doesn't even make sense!

SpongebobMaster

Dollarbob enjoyer
this episode was mostly good until the ending like we don't even get a explanation of what happened? I guess the explanation is that SpongeBob was smaller when he and blackjack were younger? That doesn't even make sense!
holds up
8.5/10
  1. Friend or foe (10/10)
  2. The Donut Of Shame (10/10)
  3. Roller Cowards (10/10)
  4. Krabs à La Mode (10/10)
  5. Spy Buddies (10/10)
  6. Spongebob Vs The Patty Gadget (9.5/10)
  7. Bucket Sweet Bucket (9.5/10)
  8. The Krusty Sponge (9.5/10)
  9. Sing A Song Of Patrick (9.5/10)
  10. The Krusty Plate (9/10)
  11. Rise And Shine (9/10)
  12. New Digs (8.5/10)
  13. BlackJack (8.5/10)
  14. Night Light (8.5/10)
  15. Money talks (8.5/10)
  16. Goo Goo Gas (7.5/10)
  17. Breath Of Fresh Squidward (7.5/10)
  18. Pat No Pay (6.5/10)