089a. The Krusty Sponge

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
Season: 5

Episode: The Krusty Sponge

This episode was pretty decent. There was some Squid Abuse, but it didn't bother me that much. The ending kinda sucked, though. There were few funny jokes. 6.5/10

iedasb

Crazy Artist
This episode is a metaphor of real life.

Mr. Krabs is nick.
The Food Critic is the critic of NICK.
Clients of Krusty Krab are the fans.
SpongeBob is just himself(or the cartoon)
Squidward is the writers/SpongeBob crew.
Judge is... read.

The critic says SpongeBob is good, better than others shows, and it will give lots of money if he uses him ALL THE TIME.(nick do this).
Mr. Krabs(nick) sees the perfect opportunity to make money. So they just throw things at the clients(fans).
The then, Squidward don't like this, because it's not how he works, he's not used to do things he can't. (Crew needs to create more episodes fast, to serve the fans).
SpongeBob is running, running and running, and everyone loves, till he gets tired, then Mr. Krabs just throw the old hamburguers to Squidward serve(bad episode, recycled ideas etc).
The clients gets sick(fans are upset with the bad episodes) Then tries to do something against Mr. Krabs, court case(fans stop liking SpongeBob).

The Judge is the light in the tunel, the SPONGEBOB MOVIE 2.
Now Squidward (the crew) need to work hard again, withou new ideas because of him.

In the end, nick is still rich and fans are satisfied, and the crew is still working a lot without ideas.

Anyways, this episode is funny!

Ol Bold and Brash

Hu Tao stan
Underrated I found this episode creative and enjoyable and the ending wasn't that bad and Mr Krabs was a jerk to SpongeBob and Squidward (but it really didn't bother me) but overall I found this episode really creative with some funny jokes

Grade:8/10

Best Character:SpongeBob

Best Line:she is so tacky

Jack M Crazyfish

I'm back, I guess.
I watched this episode recently after not watching in a long time and I gotta say I didn't expect this episode to be this good. It's not Krabs á la Mode or Battle of Bikini Bottom good, but it did bring out a few laughs and the concept was really interesting. Also is it just me or is this one of the least talked about SpongeBob episodes? an underrated, great episode.

8/10

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Surprisingly clever and satirical. I don't mind cheap Krabs as long as they can make good plots out of it and that's what they did here. Great plot with a lot of humor in it as well. Especially Squidward's antics in the SpongeBob suit. Mr. Krabs should've gotten punished instead of Squidward so that's why the score isn't higher but it's still a great episode even with a questionable moment.

8.5/10

SquiddlyPie

random gal
One of the best season 5 episodes IMO....Really good and humorous, my favourite scene was the introduction of the spices...10/10

Baloo

I GAVE YOU A JOB!
Like others said, this episode works pretty good as a satire of how Nick treats Spongebob, and I think the characters are in character for the most part. The only thing I don't like is the ending, where Squidward gets punished instead of Mr. Krabs. While I didn't think the Squidward abuse was bad in this episode and Mr. Krabs did feel greedy without being annoying or a jerk, I do think Mr. Krabs deserved to lose in the end. Outside of the bad ending, everything else is pretty solid.

9/10

eltsterious

Part Computer or Something
I loved this episode. For one, it exposes Krabs for who he is, and imo exposes some of the realities of celebrity. Extremely underrated and completely enjoyable, 9/10 for me.

Props I would automatically give to this episode is the fluid visuals of everything being SpongeBob themed (except with the customers becoming sick)! A majority of this episode was funny, the ending though was actually pretty accurate. This whole thing was a perfect representation of a lot of businesses itself. 7.5/10

Sky_Nova_20

Frozen Cephalopod
I actually think this is a much better episode that I previously thought. I was only bothered by the way Squidward and SpongeBob were treated, but that was just a tiny part of the episode and it no longer bothers me. I actually find quite those parts to be very funny and enjoyable nowadays. I don't know why I complained about that, but I found their treatment to be funny. The weird thing is that the fishes became sick from the Spongey Patties, but that is pretty much the only weird thing about this episode. Everything else is very well-done. I liked the plot and how the episode was well-executed. It's just a really interesting episode and the promotion of SpongeBob in this episode was very relatable to a few things. Mr. Krabs may be a jerk here, but I think it was reasonable in this episode, unlike in the other ones. Although not one of my favorite episodes in Season 5, but I actually do like this one. I liked Squidward in that SpongeBob costume as well. As the episode stands overall, it is good, but not a perfect episode.

TheGreatServer

NOT a Bunny now!
Love this one, This episode is really funny, and the plot is really great, not too much else really.

9/10

Clever episode. I think it's quite funny, and it has a good moral. Not to mention it's a great metaphor for Nickelodeon nowadays. My only gripes with this episode is that it has a slow beginning and the ending is a bit of a cop out.

Ranking so far:
1. Krabs a la Mode (A+)
2. Roller Cowards (A+)
3. New Digs (A)
4. Bucket Sweet Bucket (A)
5. The Krusty Plate (A)
6. Spy Buddies (A)
7. Friend or Foe (A)
8. SpongeBob vs. the Patty Gadget (A)
9. Money Talks (B)
10. Picture Day (B)
11. The Krusty Sponge (B)
12. Boat Smarts (B)
13. Night Light (C)
14. Rise and Shine (C)
15. The Donut of Shame (C)
16. Slimy Dancing (C)
17. Pat No Pay (C)
18. Fungus Among Us (D)
19. The Original Fry Cook (D)
20. Good Ol' Whatshisname (D)
21. Breath of Fresh Squidward (E)
22. Waiting (E)
23. To Love a Patty (F)

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
Good episode. The characters were portrayed pretty well here in my opinion, and there was actually some pretty good jokes throughout the episode. (not to mention the irony behind it) If there's one thing I don't like, it's the ending. Mr. Krabs honestly should've been the one who got punished. Also they spent a little too much time setting up the plot in the beginning.

Good episode (7/10)

1. Roller Cowards (10)
2. Spy Buddies (8)
3. Spongebob vs. the Patty Gadget (8)
4. Friend or Foe (8)
5. Krabs à La Mode (8)
6. The Krusty Sponge (7)
7. New Digs (7)
8. Bucket Sweet Bucket (7)
9. Money Talks (6)
10. Night Light (5)
11. Boat Smarts (5)
12. Rise and Shine (5)
13. Slimy Dancing (5)
14. Breath of Fresh Squidward (5)
15. The Original Fry Cook (5)
16. Good Ol' Whatshisname (4)
17. To Love A Patty (3)
18. Waiting (3)
19. Fungus Among Us (2)

CannedBread

Moby Dollar
I love this episode, just for the fact of what it represents. The oversaturation of spongebob; in selling toys, accessories, etc. Very clever episode.

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
This one was alright in my opinion. Mr. Krabs could have been better here. But this episode contains a solid about of veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery funny jokes. So its a mixed bag for me.

Rating: Okay Episode

Rankings:
Roller Cowards (Perfect)
Friend or Foe (Perfect)
Spy Buddies (Amazing!)
SpongeBob Vs. The Patty Gadget (Amazing!)
Bucket Sweet Bucket (Great)
Krab a la Mode (Great)
Slimy Dancing (Great)
Breath of Fresh Squidward (Great)
Rise and Shine (Great)
Boat Smarts (Meh)
Fungus Among Us (Meh)
Night Light (Alright)
The Krusty Sponge (Okay)
The Original Fry Cook (Okay)
New Digs (Okay)
Good Ol' Whathisname (Bad)
Money Talks (Bad)
To Love a Patty (Terrible)
Waiting (Terrible)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Coming up next, we've got "The Krusty Sponge"! I’ve always liked this episode, and liked the idea of it too. SpongeBob becoming the face of the Krusty Krab makes perfect sense, especially in light of an episode like “Good Ol’ Whatshisname”, even though it's a horrendous business decision lol.

The beginning of this episode brings in some intrigue with SpongeBob being frozen in place. The thousand yard stare joke is so morbidly hilarious, especially because you can literally hear bombs in the background as Mr. Krabs explained how he had it once in his service days. I love how once it turns out to be a food critic that’s got SpongeBob all up in a twist, Mr. Krabs joins him. For some reason I get reminded a lot of “Nasty Patty” in the beginning of this episode. And then when the critic shows himself, I get reminded of “Pickles”. The way the critic literally does not give af is very…refreshing. I love how Squidward doesn’t care either, because honestly if I was in his shoes I’d probably not care either. Food critics are so pompous anyway. Food is absolutely subjective.

And then I love the move to the news report in this episode. I like when the Krusty Krab has a TV inside of it because it usually leads to some kind of communal viewing situation like in this episode, and for some reason that makes me feel warm inside lol, I don’t know what to tell you. The news report is very awkward at first. and it doesn’t really make it particularly funny, so that’s a bit of a low point. Also more than anything I just want to punch this Gene guy in the face so that’s a little bit irritating, but things are saved once he starts gushing about SpongeBob, as he should. Now I completely disagree with Gene, and later Mr. Krabs, that selling SpongeBob’s image in this way is the way to go, because the whole selling point of SpongeBob is that he’s the guy behind the grill, not the face of the restaurant lol. Not to mention it’s weird as hell to make your fry cook your restaurant image. But I digress. Well wait let me un-digress for a minute, because now that I’m thinking of it, is this episode a criticism of the commercialization of SpongeBob SquarePants? Not that this show was ever not commercialized (which I need certain parts of the fandom to understand very quickly, this show was always put on the network for purposes of making money lol, it wasn’t some indie project let’s be serious). But anyway, it kind of feels like that a little bit. Maybe not even of the commercialization of this show, but of any popular product? Okay, now I’ve digressed enough.

Then we move to Mr. Krabs starting to make big changes at the Krusty Krab…or should I say the Krusty Sponge. This episode reminds me a lot of “SpongeBob’s Place”, or I should really say the other way around, since that episode clearly took a lot of inspiration from this one. I also liked the mole joke, that was pretty unexpected. But in general at this point I haven’t really laughed much, which is to this episode’s detriment, but not unbearably so since I have been enjoying myself otherwise. Things do improve though, like the part between Squidward and that little kid was pretty funny. And as always I love the back and forth between Squidward and Mr. Krabs, I love Squidward’s deadpan “you need to see a doctor”, because yeah that’s probably true. And then everything about Squidward trying to grill patties in his suit is really funny, great slapstick. Honestly, I love that Squidward’s stuck in this costume for much of the episode, it makes his appearances all inherently hilarious. And again, I really like how much interaction we see between Mr. Krabs and Squidward in this episode, with Squidward at least trying to be the voice of reason to Mr. Krabs’ insanity. Their scenes together are really fun to watch, and clear highlights of this episode.

As for SpongeBob, poor guy doesn’t get to do the job he loves, and a-hole customers get mad at him when he is clearly being overworked. Bikini Bottomites, everyone! But I mean people in our society now are like this so…anyway, I love that we suddenly get a bit of a zombie moment as people walk around sick because of those tainted “sponge patties”. I love how Mr. Krabs is basically on a date with money, but thankfully this gets cut short because he gets arrested for poisoning people lol. The little court bit we get is pretty fun too, and I love Mr. Krabs’ punishment. Also, putting on my little “Pugs Education Moment” hat, but that jury would never fly because they’re all clearly biased. Okay taking off my hat now. I love that the judge ended up having SpongeBob merch too, because a SpongeBob gavel…what?? And how can I get one lmao. The ending of this episode is fun, but I think it would’ve been more satisfying if it was Mr. Krabs in the SpongeBob costume in the end, but the way this episode ends isn’t too bad as it is.

"The Krusty Sponge" is just a really fun episode that I feel pokes fun at the way the SpongeBob SquarePants franchise is treated, which means it's even more relevant today than when it came out, I feel. This episode is not particularly funny, but it is very entertaining and amusing, which means that I don't have too much that's bad to say about it. The food critic was pretentious and not in the best way, but luckily he barely talks so that helps things immensely. I also thought the ending wasn't as strong as it could've been. All things considered, I'd say this episode is a good fit for my "Great" tier.

Episode Tier: Great
Episode Score:
8.4/10

distinctincident5624

Imitation Krab
This has always been one of the most interesting episodes of the entire show, and I mean that in a good sense.

Back