088b. SpongeBob vs. the Patty Gadget

Season 4-11

7 Years of Hospitality
A silly & fun episode. & it taught me a lesson: SpongeBob didn't die.

BobCarotte

meep
My SBM parody of this episode is better...

But seriously, it is one of the best Season 5 episodes. 8.5/10

NerdyKairi

Kairi is Back
Although i grew up watching the Latin Spanish Dub of the short that dub there were no rhymes, but i find it amusing. As i watched it in english i love the whole narrating with rhymes 8.5/10.

AquaticKonquest

Fudanshi
I find its unique use of rhyme to be truly mesmerizing. I love what they do with the dialogue and settings to accommodate the new format.

8.7/10

This was a nice episode. Even though some of the rhymes sound forced, it does its job as a short well and the fake-out ending was also pretty funny.

Highlight: A few of the rhymes

Ranking so far
1. SpongeBob vs. the Patty Gadget (A)
2. Money Talks (B)
3. Boat Smarts (B)
4. Rise and Shine ( C )
5. Good Ol' Whatshisname (D)
6. Waiting (E)

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
A really cool and exciting short. Some of the rhymes were stupid but most of them were really creative. It's not too funny, but that's not really a problem. I don't really have much else to say about this, it's just a really solid short.

Good episode (8/10)

1. Roller Cowards (10)
2. Spy Buddies (8)
3. Spongebob vs. the Patty Gadget (8)
4. Friend or Foe (8)
5. Krabs à La Mode (8)
6. New Digs (7)
7. Bucket Sweet Bucket (7)
8. Money Talks (6)
9. Night Light (5)
10. Boat Smarts (5)
11. Rise and Shine (5)
12. Breath of Fresh Squidward (5)
13. The Original Fry Cook (5)
14. Good Ol' Whatshisname (4)
15. To Love A Patty (3)
16. Waiting (3)
17. Fungus Among Us (2)

GlitchyGoomba

Bomb-Selling Pirate
I enjoyed the episode, I liked how it was told all in rhyme, as well as all the action going on in the battle between Spongebob and the patty cooking machine. The jokes were also decent. "What a schnook" is one of the most underrated lines from Sandy Cheeks.

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
An episode is worth a million bucks! This episode was all told in a rhyme and its highly similar to All That Glitters! But this is All That Glitters done right!

Rating: Amazing Episode

Rankings:
Roller Cowards (Perfect)
Friend or Foe (Perfect)
Spy Buddies (Amazing!)
SpongeBob Vs. The Patty Gadget (Amazing!)
Bucket Sweet Bucket (Great)
Krab a la Mode (Great)
Breath of Fresh Squidward (Great)
Rise and Shine (Great)
Boat Smarts (Meh)
Fungus Among Us (Meh)
Night Light (Alright)
The Original Fry Cook (Okay)
New Digs (Okay)
Good Ol' Whathisname (Bad)
Money Talks (Bad)
To Love a Patty (Terrible)
Waiting (Terrible)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Well, this is gonna be a quick one, shortest review since season 1 type beat because 1) this episode is 4 minutes long and 2) I'm tired and don't have the energy to really bulk this one up so...yeah. Today we've got "SpongeBob Vs. The Patty Gadget", which if I remember correctly is typically considered to be the best of the season 5 4-minute shorts, and I can definitely see why.

I really liked the structure of this episode, with the rhyming narration. It makes the episode stand out immediately. And there’s plenty of funny moments within the narration, such as the “bad face acne” comment. The narration is also just so expressive and well done (every say thank you Tom Kenny), and it really makes the episode even more entertaining and interesting to watch, as it helps build the tension and raise the stakes of the action. I also liked that the dialogue was fit into the rhymes as well. Just very well-crafted. The dialogue in this episode also just flows excellently because of the rhyming, which makes it very satisfying to listen to.

Thinking about it, this episode reminds me a lot of “Pickles” because of the duel between SpongeBob and the machine. This episode also has some fun visuals as well. Like, the face SpongeBob makes in the window is hilarious, and also a reaction meme lol. But anyway, I love that we get a “patty war” in this episode, the duel between SpongeBob and the Patty Gadget is super cool and fun to watch. I also like that other characters we know are in this episode, like Sandy and Patrick. SpongeBob’s determination in the face of automation (oh god now I’m rhyming, that wasn’t on purpose I swear) is also really fun to watch, and also still quite relevant (told y’all this show has commentary on labor relations!)

And then I love the fake-out we get of SpongeBob possibly dying, where it turns out to just be the Patty Gadget’s grave. SpongeBob dancing on the grave is legitimately hilarious, like that makes me think of #ripbozo lmao.

Told y'all this would be a short review! Can you believe this used to be my typical review length lol. Anyway, I really like this episode a lot. It's fun little short that's really enjoyable to watch and rewatch again and again. The rhyming is a really cool gimmick, and I love love love the duel in this episode, as well as the ending. Clearly deserves to be in my "Amazing" tier.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9.1/10

SpongebobMaster

Dollarbob enjoyer
one of the MANY hightlights of season 5
  1. Friend or foe (10/10)
  2. Roller Cowards (10/10)
  3. Krabs à La Mode (10/10)
  4. Spy Buddies (10/10)
  5. Spongebob Vs The Patty Gadget (9.5/10)
  6. Bucket Sweet Bucket (9.5/10)
  7. Rise And Shine (9/10)
  8. New Digs (8.5/10)
  9. Night Light (8.5/10)
  10. Money talks (8.5/10)
  11. Breath Of Fresh Squidward (7.5/10)
  12. The Original Fry Cook (4.5/10)
  13. Good Ol'Whatshisname (3.5/10)
  14. Boat Smarts (3/10)
  15. Waiting (1/10)
  16. Fungus Amongus (0.5/10)
  17. To love a patty (0/10)