086a. Roller Cowards

josemiguex

Imitation Krab
This is probably the last really hilarious episode of the show, I am in season 10 and I didn't find any episodes that made me laugh like this episode, and it's very sad

10/10

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
josemiguex said:
I am in season 10 and I didn't find any episodes that made me laugh like this episode, and it's very sad
The Two Faces of Squidward, Blackened Sponge, The Slumber Party, Planet of the Jellyfish? I think there's a few here and there, in my opinion.

josemiguex

Imitation Krab
FinnDinner said:
The Two Faces of Squidward, Blackened Sponge, The Slumber Party, Planet of the Jellyfish? I think there's a few here and there, in my opinion.
Yeah it's true that these episodes are great but in terms on humor (That the episode throws jokes constantly from start to finish and every joke made me laugh so hard) Roller Cowards is better, maybe there are some episodes that comes close, at least seasons 9b-10 are funnier than seasons 6-8

I heard that Teacher pests is really funny

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
josemiguex said:
Yeah it's true that these episodes are great but in terms on humor (That the episode throws jokes constantly from start to finish and every joke made me laugh so hard) Roller Cowards is better, maybe there are some episodes that comes close, at least seasons 9b-10 are funnier than seasons 6-8

I heard that Teacher pests is really funny
How about The Slumber Party? That episode had a TON of gags about sleepovers.

josemiguex

Imitation Krab
FinnDinner said:
How about The Slumber Party? That episode had a TON of gags about sleepovers.
I don't remember that episode making me laugh like Roller Cowards, but it was a pretty good episode.

Seasons 9b-10 are pretty good but IMO it didn't reached the level of humor of the best episodes of seasons 1-5, and some episodes of seasons 10 has more focus on visual gags than in actual humor, but some visuals can be a bit comical

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
Alright fine, but I don't even think Roller Cowards is that great for it's comedy, it's more for the tension leading up to the ride, yeah I don't really see it as 1-3 funny.

josemiguex

Imitation Krab
FinnDinner said:
Alright fine, but I don't even think Roller Cowards is that great for it's comedy, it's more for the tension leading up to the ride, yeah I don't really see it as 1-3 funny.
Yeah, there are some seasons 2-3 episodes that made me laugh more (IMO season 1 isn't very strong in terms of comedy), but you would agree that this episode is more entertaining that a lot of seasons 6-8 episodes

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
josemiguex said:
Yeah, there are some seasons 2-3 episodes that made me laugh more (IMO season 1 isn't very strong in terms of comedy), but you would agree that this episode is more entertaining that a lot of seasons 6-8 episodes
Yeah definitely this episode has really great tension that keeps me interested. This is something extremely rare within seasons 6-8. It has a relatable plot and another appearance of Glove World, I like the story quite a bit.

DeadAccount

Floating Shopping List
This will always be one of my favorite episodes of all time. Such an amazing relatable plot, great comedy, and lots of tension building up to the final ride, which is also an awesome sequence to watch. Everything about this episode is just pure awesomeness!

10/10

Awesome episode. Can I just say that this is one of, if not THE most relatable plot the show has ever had? Not only that, but they executed it pretty dang well. And did I mention the jokes?

Ranking so far:
1. Krabs a la Mode (A+)
2. Roller Cowards (A+)
3. New Digs (A)
4. The Krusty Plate (A)
5. Spy Buddies (A)
6. Friend or Foe (A)
7. SpongeBob vs. the Patty Gadget (A)
8. Money Talks (B)
9. Picture Day (B)
10. Boat Smarts (B)
11. Night Light (C)
12. Rise and Shine (C)
13. The Donut of Shame (C)
14. Pat No Pay (C)
15. Fungus Among Us (D)
16. The Original Fry Cook (D)
17. Good Ol' Whatshisname (D)
18. Waiting (E)

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
I absolutely ADORE this episode. Spongebob and Patrick are characterized wonderfully, the comedy is spot on as well as the pacing, there was a great build-up to the climax, and it's super freaking relatable. I honestly cannot praise this episode enough. Definitely my favorite of season 5 and one of my favorites of the entire show up to this point.

Great episode (10/10)

1. Roller Cowards (10)

2. Spy Buddies (8)
3. Friend or Foe (8)
4. Krabs à La Mode (8)
5. New Digs (7)
6. Night Light (5)
7. Boat Smarts (5)
8. Rise and Shine (5)
9. The Original Fry Cook (5)
10. Waiting (3)
11. Fungus Among Us (2)

GlitchyGoomba

Bomb-Selling Pirate
I really like Spongebob and Patrick's portrayals in here. They think each other are afraid of riding the scary rollercoaster, which makes for some really well done suspense and comedy. Combine that with a successfully action-packed climax and you got one of the best episodes of the season.

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
THIS IS IT MY FRIENDS! HERE IT IS! MY FAVORITE EPISODE OF SEASON 5! The plot of this episode was not that clever but that doesnt mean that this is our personal winner of season 5 my friends! I had many laughs at the jokes the Glove Guy scene was very funny. The Mitten is a very funny roller coaster. And lets not forget about that dream scene.

Rating: Perfect Episode

Rankings:
Roller Cowards (Perfect)
Friend or Foe (Perfect)
Spy Buddies (Amazing!)
Krab a la Mode (Great)
Rise and Shine (Great)
Boat Smarts (Meh)
Fungus Among Us (Meh)
Night Light (Alright)
The Original Fry Cook (Okay)
New Digs (Okay)
Good Ol' Whathisname (Bad)
Waiting (Terrible)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Next up, we've got "Roller Cowards"! This is a fun little episode that feels like it was written specifically for me, because I am a rollercoaster fanatic. Like when I say that every time I saw the Fiery Fist O' Pain I wanted to ride it...boy give it to me now. It just looks like a strata coaster mixed with a giga coaster, which sounds super fun honestly. Okay let me stop before I get into coaster stuff.

I love the calm way this episode starts, with SpongeBob reading to Gary, which is completely derailed by Patrick just busting through the wall, which also gets this plot off to a running start. I love the way Patrick’s TV cord carries him back to his house. The dream SpongeBob has about Glove World is pretty entertaining, I love how SpongeBob and Patrick just fall into their graves. You know, this whole plot reminds me of that fake rollercoaster that was specifically made to kill a person from the force of it. Euthanasia coaster, I believe it was called. There’s a video of it here, and a Wikipedia page about it! Anyway, I think this episode captures the feeling of being really scared about riding a rollercoaster pretty well. I love all rollercoasters now, but for years I would refused to ride any that went upside down, so I get it. SpongeBob and Patrick are really expressive in this scene on the bus too, which I thought looked really good. I will say, if the line to a ride was as long as the one for the Fiery Fist O’ Pain, and I didn’t have Fast Pass (which I don’t usually get cuz I’m cheap), then you bet your butt I’m not getting in that line. I’m horribly impatient, which is one of the reasons why I always have to go to an amusement park with a friend, because if I don’t I’ll go crazy with boredom from waiting in line.

I love how SpongeBob and Patrick throughout this whole episode keep trying to seem cool for each other, but they also both know that neither of them want to ride this ride. And then the whole scene with Glovey is actually hilarious, especially because 1) I’ve played the Cosmic Shake (or at least to the Glove World level, I’m not done yet!), and, more importantly perhaps, 2) I’ve watched many playthroughs of Around The Clock At Bikini Bottom. Patrick, your fear is justified. Trust me.

SpongeBob and Patrick riding The Mitten is similarly hilarious, this was a great display of their childish characteristics. I love how even the baby was too cool for them lmao. Honestly this episode is just hitting it with the comedy. The part with Tom was great, because yeah me too Tom. And then we get a surprise appearance of Larry, who now that I think about it we haven’t seen in a while (not since “That’s No Lady”. This is also his only appearance of season 5 so let’s just enjoy it while we can). Larry is very underrated in terms of comedy, I think, because he’s usually pretty funny. Speaking of funny, the part with SpongeBob beating himself up with an ice cream cone is unexpectedly hilarious, because I was really thinking I was about to cringe and here I am legit laughing. Patrick’s own version of talking to himself in the bathroom is similarly great, I love how he just punches himself lol.

Finally, SpongeBob and Patrick ride the Fiery Fist O’ Pain. I will say the part right before they get on, where they’re just standing there kind of psyching themselves up, yeah that was a bit of a drag. I get why it was there but it was kinda boring and completely uneventful, so that could’ve been shortened or reworked. And then after all of this tension, the rollercoaster breaks. I like that we finally get SpongeBob and Patrick confessing to each other after the coaster breaks down, it's a touching moment. And also, this sets the stage nicely for when it turns out that the ride is actually fine, and now the duo are about to have the time of their lives! (or maybe not lmao). The actual scene of them riding is great, with perfect timing and fun visuals all over the place. God I wanna ride that coaster so bad. But anyway, SpongeBob and Patrick’s excitement over having ridden the coaster was so cute, and satisfying after watching the whole episode. And with the addition of the conclusion of the spine joke that’s been running for the whole episode, this episode ending is simply great.

There really isn't too much for me to say about "Roller Cowards" other than I really enjoy this episode, and I'm sure my enjoyment is enhanced by me being a coaster lover. Now I'm thinking about rollercoasters lol, which is making me want it to be summer. I won't be near any really great amusement parks this summer, which is sad, but I'll make it work. Anyway, this episode was great, funny, and really enjoyable to watch. A clear choice for my "Amazing" tier.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score: 9.2/10

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
It just looks like a strata coaster mixed with a giga coaster
homer-simson-the-simpsons.gif

Next up, we've got "Roller Cowards"! This is a fun little episode that feels like it was written specifically for me, because I am a rollercoaster fanatic. Like when I say that every time I saw the Fiery Fist O' Pain I wanted to ride it...boy give it to me now. It just looks like a strata coaster mixed with a giga coaster, which sounds super fun honestly. Okay let me stop before I get into coaster stuff.

I love the calm way this episode starts, with SpongeBob reading to Gary, which is completely derailed by Patrick just busting through the wall, which also gets this plot off to a running start. I love the way Patrick’s TV cord carries him back to his house. The dream SpongeBob has about Glove World is pretty entertaining, I love how SpongeBob and Patrick just fall into their graves. You know, this whole plot reminds me of that fake rollercoaster that was specifically made to kill a person from the force of it. Euthanasia coaster, I believe it was called. There’s a video of it here, and a Wikipedia page about it! Anyway, I think this episode captures the feeling of being really scared about riding a rollercoaster pretty well. I love all rollercoasters now, but for years I would refused to ride any that went upside down, so I get it. SpongeBob and Patrick are really expressive in this scene on the bus too, which I thought looked really good. I will say, if the line to a ride was as long as the one for the Fiery Fist O’ Pain, and I didn’t have Fast Pass (which I don’t usually get cuz I’m cheap), then you bet your butt I’m not getting in that line. I’m horribly impatient, which is one of the reasons why I always have to go to an amusement park with a friend, because if I don’t I’ll go crazy with boredom from waiting in line.

I love how SpongeBob and Patrick throughout this whole episode keep trying to seem cool for each other, but they also both know that neither of them want to ride this ride. And then the whole scene with Glovey is actually hilarious, especially because 1) I’ve played the Cosmic Shake (or at least to the Glove World level, I’m not done yet!), and, more importantly perhaps, 2) I’ve watched many playthroughs of Around The Clock At Bikini Bottom. Patrick, your fear is justified. Trust me.

SpongeBob and Patrick riding The Mitten is similarly hilarious, this was a great display of their childish characteristics. I love how even the baby was too cool for them lmao. Honestly this episode is just hitting it with the comedy. The part with Tom was great, because yeah me too Tom. And then we get a surprise appearance of Larry, who now that I think about it we haven’t seen in a while (not since “That’s No Lady”. This is also his only appearance of season 5 so let’s just enjoy it while we can). Larry is very underrated in terms of comedy, I think, because he’s usually pretty funny. Speaking of funny, the part with SpongeBob beating himself up with an ice cream cone is unexpectedly hilarious, because I was really thinking I was about to cringe and here I am legit laughing. Patrick’s own version of talking to himself in the bathroom is similarly great, I love how he just punches himself lol.

Finally, SpongeBob and Patrick ride the Fiery Fist O’ Pain. I will say the part right before they get on, where they’re just standing there kind of psyching themselves up, yeah that was a bit of a drag. I get why it was there but it was kinda boring and completely uneventful, so that could’ve been shortened or reworked. And then after all of this tension, the rollercoaster breaks. I like that we finally get SpongeBob and Patrick confessing to each other after the coaster breaks down, it's a touching moment. And also, this sets the stage nicely for when it turns out that the ride is actually fine, and now the duo are about to have the time of their lives! (or maybe not lmao). The actual scene of them riding is great, with perfect timing and fun visuals all over the place. God I wanna ride that coaster so bad. But anyway, SpongeBob and Patrick’s excitement over having ridden the coaster was so cute, and satisfying after watching the whole episode. And with the addition of the conclusion of the spine joke that’s been running for the whole episode, this episode ending is simply great.

There really isn't too much for me to say about "Roller Cowards" other than I really enjoy this episode, and I'm sure my enjoyment is enhanced by me being a coaster lover. Now I'm thinking about rollercoasters lol, which is making me want it to be summer. I won't be near any really great amusement parks this summer, which is sad, but I'll make it work. Anyway, this episode was great, funny, and really enjoyable to watch. A clear choice for my "Amazing" tier.

Great review as always

Heyo_Heyo

Moby Dollar

Nice review this episode and Krabs A La Mode are definitely the highlights of season 5 for me and coincidentally they are back to back LOL

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Hey I'll own it, I love me some coasters. But most coaster enthusiasts know a lot more about coasters than me, I just fill my brain with useless SpongeBob facts instead lol.

Nice review this episode and Krabs A La Mode are definitely the highlights of season 5 for me and coincidentally they are back to back LOL
Thanks! And yeah I love both episodes a lot, I can definitely see why they're highlights (they are for me too).

Squidwardiard

Frozen Cephalopod
This is a very funny episode. There's a lot of funny moments, and I think the episode is one of the Post-Movie episodes that could definitely compete with Pre-Movie. It has a great premise of Spongebob and Patrick being scared to ride a roller coaster, and it's a perfect premise for the show. This setup leads to so much comedic opportunities that end up being utilized well. Plus, this is the first episode to feature Glove World as a setting! It wasn't the focus in Rock Bottom, which was also a great episode that focused on other things. So it's great to see an iconic setting be fleshed out more! The Fiery Fist O' Pain is also very memorable and iconic. The ride on this rollercoaster at the end is also very action-packed and exciting! Roller Cowards is a very funny episode filled with exciting and hilarious moments. The episode is great and easily rivals many Pre-Movie episodes imo.

Back