085b. Krabs à La Mode

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Moving right along in my coverage of season 5, we've got "Krabs à la Mode", which is an episode that I have always enjoyed quite a bit, and one that frequently makes my season 5 top 5 (last time I did a season overview, it was number one. I'm staying decidedly neutral about what episode will be number one at the moment, so that every episode gets a fair chance). It seems that this time around, I'm aligned with the common consensus, which is always a nice feeling to have.

We already get off to a great start with a wonderful rendition of Tripping Upstairs with bells, and then with a cool looking background of the Krusty Krab during a cold day. Both of these things together leads into a cool atmosphere for this episode, I'd say. And this beginning is also great because we’re diving headfirst into some jokes, with the first gag coming like 20 seconds in, so that’s pretty impressive. Now let me just say this, I’m with Squidward in this episode, 62 degrees inside is an absolute no. I feel like 68 is my limit lmao. More fun Pugs stories: back in November we were trying to avoid turning our heat on to save money and man when I tell you that on some days it got down to 59 degrees in our place…I was freezing my butt off that’s for sure. I hate being cold. This episode is also very relatable because at home, my dad is like Mr. Krabs when it comes to the thermostat. Luckily he’s sane and keeps it at a comfortable 69-72 depending on the season. Anyway, speaking of Mr. Krabs, this first segment is so funny the way he busts out the office and everyone points at Squidward, including SpongeBob. I also love the way Mr. Krabs runs off to yell at the kids playing on his lawn. Just a minute in and I’m already laughing hard, I’ve got a good feeling about what I’m watching here today.

I really like how the cut to closing time implies that Squidward, Mr. Krabs, and SpongeBob are about to walk home together. I just like little small moments like that, that show what goes down outside of the show, you know? Anyway, Plankton’s plan here is actually pretty smart, though to be honest because of what I said earlier I already would not be eating at the Krusty Krab…62 is too cold for me when it comes to the interior of a place. And then once morning comes, we get another cool art of the Krusty Krab, this time covered in ice. And then we get some fun slapstick with Squidward and SpongeBob sliding all over the place. Again the whole scene is just hilarious, this episode really is firing on all cylinders.

I also think this episode is pretty creative, because the solution that SpongeBob comes up with is really fun! Those Krabby Patty skates are nasty, as per Squidward’s comment, but they’re cool too. Mr. Krabs is glad that he has such a savvy employee. Plankton’s disbelief is fun to watch, and I’m glad that we get some Karen in this episode too. As per usual, she has better ideas than Plankton.

The episode switches gears quite a bit once Plankton tries to steal a Krabby Patty, because then it’s just pure, unadulterated chaos, something I also love to see. We’ve got tons of different agendas leading to tons of fun confrontations. But I also really love the short break from the chaos we get with Plankton pretending to be affable and SpongeBob enthusiastically telling him about his weekend. Anyway, back to the chaos, I love all the back and forth with Plankton getting really close to escaping but just missing it, combined with some great slapstick as well. And there were some really cool-angled shots in this as well, making it look visually interesting. And then the part with the clamboni is a great way to end this little bit of chaos.

But of course, all the slipping and sliding and skating around the rink is not the only bit of chaos in this episode, because there's more to come. The temperature switches are not only entertaining but fun to watch too. And I love how in the end, they turn the Krusty Krab into one big swimming pool. Honestly, some genius business decisions over here. Would I go to a pool restaurant? Definitely not because eating in the water is just nasty and unpleasant to me. But still fun!

I really like "Krabs à la Mode", it's just a real fun episode with some fun visuals and great gags all over the place. It doesn't get much simpler than that. This episode definitely makes it to my "Amazing" tier, no doubt about it.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9.4/10

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
Moving right along in my coverage of season 5, we've got "Krabs à la Mode", which is an episode that I have always enjoyed quite a bit, and one that frequently makes my season 5 top 5 (last time I did a season overview, it was number one. I'm staying decidedly neutral about what episode will be number one at the moment, so that every episode gets a fair chance). It seems that this time around, I'm aligned with the common consensus, which is always a nice feeling to have.

We already get off to a great start with a wonderful rendition of Tripping Upstairs with bells, and then with a cool looking background of the Krusty Krab during a cold day. Both of these things together leads into a cool atmosphere for this episode, I'd say. And this beginning is also great because we’re diving headfirst into some jokes, with the first gag coming like 20 seconds in, so that’s pretty impressive. Now let me just say this, I’m with Squidward in this episode, 62 degrees inside is an absolute no. I feel like 68 is my limit lmao. More fun Pugs stories: back in November we were trying to avoid turning our heat on to save money and man when I tell you that on some days it got down to 59 degrees in our place…I was freezing my butt off that’s for sure. I hate being cold. This episode is also very relatable because at home, my dad is like Mr. Krabs when it comes to the thermostat. Luckily he’s sane and keeps it at a comfortable 69-72 depending on the season. Anyway, speaking of Mr. Krabs, this first segment is so funny the way he busts out the office and everyone points at Squidward, including SpongeBob. I also love the way Mr. Krabs runs off to yell at the kids playing on his lawn. Just a minute in and I’m already laughing hard, I’ve got a good feeling about what I’m watching here today.

I really like how the cut to closing time implies that Squidward, Mr. Krabs, and SpongeBob are about to walk home together. I just like little small moments like that, that show what goes down outside of the show, you know? Anyway, Plankton’s plan here is actually pretty smart, though to be honest because of what I said earlier I already would not be eating at the Krusty Krab…62 is too cold for me when it comes to the interior of a place. And then once morning comes, we get another cool art of the Krusty Krab, this time covered in ice. And then we get some fun slapstick with Squidward and SpongeBob sliding all over the place. Again the whole scene is just hilarious, this episode really is firing on all cylinders.

I also think this episode is pretty creative, because the solution that SpongeBob comes up with is really fun! Those Krabby Patty skates are nasty, as per Squidward’s comment, but they’re cool too. Mr. Krabs is glad that he has such a savvy employee. Plankton’s disbelief is fun to watch, and I’m glad that we get some Karen in this episode too. As per usual, she has better ideas than Plankton.

The episode switches gears quite a bit once Plankton tries to steal a Krabby Patty, because then it’s just pure, unadulterated chaos, something I also love to see. We’ve got tons of different agendas leading to tons of fun confrontations. But I also really love the short break from the chaos we get with Plankton pretending to be affable and SpongeBob enthusiastically telling him about his weekend. Anyway, back to the chaos, I love all the back and forth with Plankton getting really close to escaping but just missing it, combined with some great slapstick as well. And there were some really cool-angled shots in this as well, making it look visually interesting. And then the part with the clamboni is a great way to end this little bit of chaos.

But of course, all the slipping and sliding and skating around the rink is not the only bit of chaos in this episode, because there's more to come. The temperature switches are not only entertaining but fun to watch too. And I love how in the end, they turn the Krusty Krab into one big swimming pool. Honestly, some genius business decisions over here. Would I go to a pool restaurant? Definitely not because eating in the water is just nasty and unpleasant to me. But still fun!

I really like "Krabs à la Mode", it's just a real fun episode with some fun visuals and great gags all over the place. It doesn't get much simpler than that. This episode definitely makes it to my "Amazing" tier, no doubt about it.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score: 9.4/10
this episode just feels like a season 4 episode spongebob even has his season 4 design

Back