084a. Spy Buddies

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
Season: 5

Episode: Spy Buddies

This episode was very good. There were many jokes. 8.5/10

Tuba95

Dead Inspector
Hilarious episode! Cool plot with a lot of funny jokes. Squidward's line when he was fired into the blimp made me choke on laughter. 10/10

SquiddlyPie

random gal
I loved that episode, it's actually underrated...more people should talk about that one...
My favourite scene was when the patty exploded in SpongeBob's and Patrick's faces...and the one that Patrick shoot laser at the Chum Bucket...the ending wasn't that appealing though, it was kind of weird :/ but overall, great !!! 9.5/10

I like this one. It's funny, has great action, and the plot is so good I'm surprised we haven't already seen it done before. The ending, while it makes virtually no sense, it was completely unexpected and it was quite funny.

Ranking so far:
1. The Krusty Plate (A)
2. Spy Buddies (A)
3. Friend or Foe (A)
4. SpongeBob vs. the Patty Gadget (A)
5. Money Talks (B)
6. Picture Day (B)
7. Boat Smarts (B)
8. Night Light (C)
9. Rise and Shine (C)
10. The Donut of Shame (C)
11. Pat No Pay (C)
12. Fungus Among Us (D)
13. The Original Fry Cook (D)
14. Good Ol' Whatshisname (D)
15. Waiting (E)

CheeseCrocker

Bomb-Selling Pirate
One of my favorites of the entire series! It was hilarious and the plot was absolutely fantastic.

Amazing Episode (10/10)

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
Really cool episode. I liked the parody, there was some great comedy here and there, and the ending was hilarious. If there's one thing I don't like about this episode it's that it did feel a liittle slow at times, but that's not a huge problem. This is still a really strong episode.

Good episode (8/10)

1. Spy Buddies (8)

2. Friend or Foe (8)
3. Night Light (5)
4. Rise and Shine (5)
5. The Original Fry Cook (5)
6. Waiting (3)
7. Fungus Among Us (2)

GlitchyGoomba

Bomb-Selling Pirate
This episode features Plankton in one of his most clever schemes. I really like the concept of Mr. Krabs and Plankton basically battling each other, and the twist at the end was very well done, but I don't wanna spoil it. The humor in the episode is also pretty good, especially the visual gags involving Spongebob and Patrick chasing after Plankton. The fart jokes in the episode aren't clever, but they did a decent job blending in with the rest of the atmosphere.

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
A very funny episode with a amazing ending not much to explain this was just a plain old good episode.

Rating: Amazing Episode

Rankings:
Friend or Foe (Perfect)
Spy Buddies (Amazing!)
Rise and Shine (Great)
Fungus Among Us (Meh)
Night Light (Alright)
The Original Fry Cook (Okay)
Waiting (Terrible)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Next up we've got an episode I've been real excited to review, "Spy Buddies"! I have always loved this episode, from beginning to end, and I believe it is truly underrated because why is no one ever talking about it? At least people seem to generally agree with me that it's pretty good, if not great. Well, I think it's a knockout but when it comes to any episode past season 3 you never know what the reception will be.

"Spy Buddies" already starts off strong for me with a gorgeous background shot of the Krusty Krab. Me pointing this out should surprise 0 of you by this point. And I don’t know how to explain it but like the sound design in this very beginning scene is really good, helps to set the mood. And I love how we’re already starting the episode with some questions like “wtf, is that Plankton? How does he know the codes?” until it turns out to be Mr. Krabs when SpongeBob turns the light on. Given what we learn at the very end of this episode, this fake-out is pretty genius. This episode also does what I wanted last episode to do (very loosely) in having Squidward appear for a second just to leave to humorous effect. This gag walked so the one in “Greasy Buffoons” could run.

SpongeBob’s enthusiasm about spying is super cute in this episode. Really, this episode takes some pages from the books of season 1 and makes SpongeBob and Patrick really cute for the first few minutes. I love that we get the name of this episode from the duo's happy shouting, and their whispering is adorable. From this first minute or so, I already have a great feeling about where this episode will be going. And all of the spoofs and parodies and homages we see here help immensely. I love the James Bond spoof with Patrick looking through the straw. And really, that's another reason I love this episode—the sheer vibes it exudes. We get all kinds of spy cliches and tropes and homages, the music is on point, the visuals are great, and the atmosphere is palpable. When Mr. Krabs pulled out that exploding Krabby Patty, my mind instantly went to Mission Impossible, which is a movie franchise that I love (fun fact about me, I love action movies). Speaking of the self-destructing Krabby Patty, SpongeBob and Patrick’s panic after hearing the message is hilarious, as is the solution they come up with. I also love that we get some Sandy inclusion in this episode, being the supplier of their cool spy gadgets. Well, unwitting supplier, because Patrick is an absolute savage using the knock-out ray on Sandy. Patrick is honestly really good in this episode. I don’t mind Patrick being dumb, but I can’t help but praise when he’s not a complete idiot too.

SpongeBob and Patrick spying on Plankton is just a fun way to spend these next few minutes of the episode. I just love all the basic errands Plankton has to run, it kind of retroactively adds depth both to his character and to others, because if Plankton has to do such everyday errands, everyone else must too. The way that Plankton’s size is played with this episode is great too, and makes for some fun gags, like the magnifying glass. For the sake of review length I won't get into all the gags here, but this segment of 3 minutes really doesn't let up for a second and I love it.

And then we’re back to very clear spoofing as SpongeBob says that they have to find a complicated way to get inside the Chum Bucket because they’re spies. Once Plankton finds the two, I like the subversion with him thinking that SpongeBob and Patrick actually want to eat at the Chum Bucket. His excitement at getting a customer is actually pretty cute. And then I love how this segment with the laser pants malfunctioning basically uses toilet humor, but it’s not disgusting about it. See, toilet humor can be funny when you do it right! Speaking of this segment, great voicework from Bill Fagerbakke here, as per usual. And then of course we get my favorite gag with things randomly exploding as the Chum Bucket completely blows up. Honestly this is like the third thing to blow up in this episode and I love it.

Moving on, when Plankton brings his war blimp to the Krusty Krab, I love the little interaction between Squidward and Mr. Krabs that we get. Mr. Krabs’ cataract surgery comment is pretty funny, and then Squidward’s “it’s that time of the month”…hoo boy that’s a joke for the ages right there. Now, I really do think that this was a mere reference to Mr. Krabs’ earlier comment about how Plankton hadn’t tried to steal the formula in over a month (which implies he does this kind of thing monthly), but I also cannot deny that it does seem like a metaphor for a certain monthly occurrence for people with uteri...Anyway, Squidward’s running off to his “battle station” was hilarious, another great use of toilet humor in this episode. The "final battle" between Mr. Krabs and Plankton is really fun to watch, and I love how once Patrick gets shot through the blimp, we get that wonderful end-of-episode chaos with the blimp crashing into the Krusty Krab.

And then we have the absolute best part of this episode, the last couple minutes, which is filled with some glorious spy movie cliches (this whole episode is really just a parody of the Mission Impossible movies with a side of James Bond, let’s be real. It’s even funnier to watch after watching Fallout). Plot twist, Plankton was Mr. Krabs the whole time! And Mr. Krabs was actually Plankton (in the same robot as “Imitation Krabs”)! The banter between Mr. Krabs and Plankton is amazing. And I love how Mr. Krabs just brushes over everything being like yeah the events are too elaborate to explain so just roll with it. And we do! It’s fun to imagine how both sides prepared anyway. And I love when Mr. Krabs and Plankton have this quasi-friendly relationship like this, especially with Plankton’s whole “the usual wager?” which holds a host of implications.

This ending is excellent, but the episode isn’t done yet! To the wonderful tune of Clownfish Capers, we get one of my favorite endings to a SpongeBob SquarePants episode, with a costume-ripping, identity-revealing party of chaos. And I love how SpongeBob just rips off the real Squidward’s face. And then things just get weirder with a Sandy cameo followed by a whole bunch of costume ripping that I won’t give the play by play of. And then the episode ends with the unexplained appearance of two Patricks laughing, and I love it. It’s hilarious, it’s genius.

“Spy Buddies” is definitely one of the best episodes I’d seen in a while in terms of pure comedic value and amusement, doing these reviews. Probably the best since “Mrs. Puff You’re Fired”. It’s just excellent and I have nothing even remotely bad to say about it. It uses a variety of different types of humor, and the atmosphere of this episode is great, and I love its parodies and homages. And like I just got through talking about, the ending of this episode is fantastic. Truly an “Amazing”-tier episode.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score: 9.5/10

Back