083c. Fungus Among Us

Rex

Floating Shopping List
Oh Fungus Among Us, why I used to like this one I really don't know. This episode makes my feel really unclean, it is so GROSS, I really hate this episode's animation so much. Season 5's 4 worst episodes IMO (Whobob Whatpants, Fungus Among Us, To Love A Patty, A Flea In Her Dome) they all share similar issues, broken stories that either make no sense, are extremely creepy or just really didn't need to exist in regular length or double length format. This episode's story and comedy are slim-none, I didn't laugh once here and I really wish they calmed down on the horrific visuals, Spongebob when he enters the Krusty Krab in his bubble, about 5 times bigger and all green and infected is my most hated design in the show. Everyone else is really stupid and why does Krabs come out on top?, he has basically nothing to do with this one, If I can give points I like how they brought it back around about Gary being a bottomfeeder. Don't watch this one just don't. Its episodes like these that make me consider giving Season 5 a good because oh boy this one sucks the life out of you.

83c Fungus Among Us Abysmal 2/10

Btw here is my season 5 bottom 5

#5 93b Pat No Pay Awful 3/10
#4 90a A Flea In Her Dome Awful 3/10
#3 87a To Love A Patty Abysmal 2/10
#2 83c Fungus Among Us Abysmal 2/10
#1 98 Whatever Happened To Spongebob? Abysmal 2/10

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
How exactly am I supposed to feel about this episode...? I'm assuming it's supposed to be more of a serious episode because of the overall uncomfortable and mean-spirited tone, but the dumb "jokes" that they make throughout this thing kinda contradict that, so I'm not sure. If there's one thing I'm sure of, though, it's that this episode is really stupid. The fact that NO ONE notices the ick that's infecting everyone doesn't make any sense. There's a lot of things that don't make sense in this episode, probably too many to list here anyways. Also it's really gross. And uncomfortable. And yeah you get the point. It's bad.

Awful episode (2/10)

1. Friend or Foe (8)
2. Night Light (5)
3. Rise and Shine (5)
4. The Original Fry Cook (5)
5. Waiting (3)
6. Fungus Among Us (2)

GlitchyGoomba

Bomb-Selling Pirate
If I were to describe this episode using 1 word, it would be confusing. What even is this ick? Where did it come from? Why are the bikini bottomites not doing anything to prevent it from spreading when it's clearly in their directions? Why is Gary unaffected by the ick? How did he even get freed from his quarantine? And WHERE IS THE COMEDY THAT SUCH A STUPID STORY LIKE THIS WOULD NEED?
I guess I could also describe it as gross, but to be honest, the ick is actually pretty tame in comparison to the splinter and the toenail scene and whatnot (in terms of graphic detail)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
Not only this episode wasnt funny but its okay. All the jokes were downright flat and the only funny one was the pirate joke! I dont hate this episode i used to hate it though! The bubble pop scenes were like the worst scenes yet! But at least the episode was pretty much on the entertaining side.

Rating: Meh Episode

Rankings:
Friend or Foe (Perfect)
Rise and Shine (Great)
Fungus Among Us (Meh)
Night Light (Alright)
The Original Fry Cook (Okay)
Waiting (Terrible)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Next up for season 5 is "Fungus Among Us"! And yeah, let me go ahead and just say it now, haha amogus. Okay, moving on, "Fungus Among Us" is definitely one of the better-known episodes of season 5, for better or worse. Now, of course, I'm convinced that this episode has become more well-known (or just thrust into the spotlight to begin with) now vs. 5 years ago, for reasons that I'm sure are very obvious. Those reasons I will continue to refer to as the elephant in the room throughout this review, because I really don't want to actually talk about it, but there are some things that do need to be said around it.

Getting into the actual episode, my interest is immediately piqued as we see Gary being the one to get us started here. His antics trying to get SpongeBob awake are fun, and this whole beginning scene is cute. Not particularly funny or even super amusing, but cute. I love all the personality Gary has in this section. One of my favorite, hardly used and known tracks is in this scene too, Hawaiian Party, so that's a win. As the first bit of this episode progresses, I have so many questions about what this weird fungus thing is. The design of it is nice, looking gross without actually being hard to look at. I also have a lot of questions about Gary being a bottom feeder. So bottom feeders are real, but they’ve also been used as insults in this show…SpongeBob bigot confirmed? Just kidding. It’s actually a pet peeve of mine when people take random characters and be like “this character would so hate [insert marginalized group here]”, like why would you do that? It’s unnecessary and uncomfortable for said marginalized group, and it just means you’re showing yourself as someone who finds bigotry funny for one reason or another. Okay, that’s my high horse for the day.

The suspense in the first minute or two of SpongeBob dealing with the fungus is very well-crafted. The music, the absolute helplessness, the mystery of what this fungus even is, very well done. And of course, because this is SpongeBob SquarePants, there’s comedy intermixed in there as well, such as when Squidward barges in to find SpongeBob scratching. I love how Squidward is more confused than anything until SpongeBob’s fungus-covered nose sticks back out, and then he starts screaming and jumping on the cabinet, that was funny. And then not Squidward literally calling a SWAT team on SpongeBob, that’s horrible and hilarious. The way the team treats SpongeBob like some kind of animal is just horrible, but in a good way. Though it is a bit harder to watch given the…context we find ourselves in now, and how shamefully society has acted towards certain infected groups. But I really, really don’t want to get into that here today. So I won’t.

Of course, that can’t be end of the fungus, so Squidward now gets infected. I won’t say deserved, but I will say deserved because mans was smiling the entire time SpongeBob was getting captured, he took glee in having SpongeBob be treated in such a manner. Watching the ick spread is just nasty. Seeing SpongeBob in the quarantine bubble adds more and more mystery to whatever is going on here, and seeing Gary being locked up too is upsetting, but I always do love seeing SpongeBob’s concern for Gary. The way the doctors just leave him there is quite…questionable though. Malpractice, honestly. And how did Patrick even get in? Just an alarm blaring and that’s it? Sure, why not. Patrick always manages to get places he shouldn’t, probably because he’s so dumb that he thinks outside of the box. Patrick continually doing things to pop the bubble while SpongeBob tells him not to is annoying (though the cleats bit of it was funny) and brings to mind "Wet Painters", but thankfully that portion of the scene ends quickly. I definitely prefer Patrick popping the bubble because of an activity he and SpongeBob agree to do over him doing it while SpongeBob cries out against it. And any residual annoyance I have at this scene pretty much dissipates once Patrick actually becomes part of the solution to the bubble problem, rather than SpongeBob having to fix Patrick's mess.

Back at the Krusty Krab, watching everything go down with the ick is just nasty. I can’t tell if it helps or hampers how I feel about this episode. I just think the elephant in the room has really changed how I view this episode because now instead of abstractly knowing the consequences of bad hygiene when one is sick, I’ve seen it. We’ve all seen it. Anyway, once Squidward realizes what’s going on and an angry mob forms against him, I love the way the most pretentiously-spoken one there tells Mr. Krabs why they’re in a commotion. And then we get a wonderful bit of the exact opposite of what Mr. Krabs says happening with an absolutely disgusting and horrid looking SpongeBob walking into the Krusty Krab. They really went all out with making this episode look gross, but not necessarily revolting. Now, it does end up making me feel more gross than I would like to, but that’s really because of our unnamed elephant, not because of anything this episode did. And that is why “The Splinter” has much to learn from this episode. Much to learn.

The way the mob turns on SpongeBob is just upsetting to watch, not to mention frustrating. Considering the ick is visible, first off everyone should look inward and ask themselves why they didn’t see the bright neon green s*** on their patties (I try to refrain from swearing in these reviews out of common courtesy, because irl I'm like a sailor, but sometimes some things just need to be said). And from there, we need to question again the health code violations of the restaurant considering Squidward was scratching all on himself and handling food, no hand washing to be seen. Frankly, out of everyone working at the Krusty Krab, SpongeBob was taking the most health precautions by covering his fungus-covered hands and covering the fungus on his head with his hat. He really should’ve just not come into the workplace, but we’re just dealing with what we have. So what I’m saying is basically this is not SpongeBob’s fault. He even came to the Krusty Krab in a quarantine bubble! And then in terms of the actual scene, it’s upsetting to watch everyone attack SpongeBob (stupidly might I add, why did they not consider that popping his quarantine bubble would be a horrendous idea), while he just cries.

Thankfully, we cut to Gary which cuts that scene short, at least a little bit. And once the bubble inevitably pops, Gary returns quickly to help resolve the problem of the ick with his bottom feeding tendencies. The fighting between Nat, the other fish, and Patrick about who goes first was pretty funny. And then I love Mr. Krabs just being such a greedy person. The way the British guy slaps him was hilarious. And then of course I just love the ending of the episode, because Gary is so happy! And I love me some Gary. And I also love that this episode is an example of some pretty concise, full-circle writing with Gary being the solution, and the episode starting with him (and if SpongeBob had let him eat the fungus in the first place, the entire problem could have been avoided).

"Fungus Among Us" is an episode that fits very well in my "Good" tier. There are moments that irritate me for sure, but they're redeemed by other pretty great moments in the episode, which balances the scales a bit. And I think there's more to enjoy here than not. The beginning of the episode is more dull than anything, in general, but it's still enjoyable enough to watch, and things get far more entertaining as the minutes roll by. However, I do think this episode has been...diminished, at least a tiny bit, possibly permanently by our unnamed elephant. I know we were all mad about episodes like "Hiccup Plague" and "Kwarantined Krab" getting delayed or pulled, but after watching this episode I can fully understand the logic (I could before, but I think rewatching this episode has cemented my perspective). It can just make you think about things you don't want to think about.

Episode Tier: Good
Episode Score:
7.5/10

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
Next up for season 5 is "Fungus Among Us"! And yeah, let me go ahead and just say it now, haha amogus. Okay, moving on, "Fungus Among Us" is definitely one of the better-known episodes of season 5, for better or worse. Now, of course, I'm convinced that this episode has become more well-known (or just thrust into the spotlight to begin with) now vs. 5 years ago, for reasons that I'm sure are very obvious. Those reasons I will continue to refer to as the elephant in the room throughout this review, because I really don't want to actually talk about it, but there are some things that do need to be said around it.

Getting into the actual episode, my interest is immediately piqued as we see Gary being the one to get us started here. His antics trying to get SpongeBob awake are fun, and this whole beginning scene is cute. Not particularly funny or even super amusing, but cute. I love all the personality Gary has in this section. One of my favorite, hardly used and known tracks is in this scene too, Hawaiian Party, so that's a win. As the first bit of this episode progresses, I have so many questions about what this weird fungus thing is. The design of it is nice, looking gross without actually being hard to look at. I also have a lot of questions about Gary being a bottom feeder. So bottom feeders are real, but they’ve also been used as insults in this show…SpongeBob bigot confirmed? Just kidding. It’s actually a pet peeve of mine when people take random characters and be like “this character would so hate [insert marginalized group here]”, like why would you do that? It’s unnecessary and uncomfortable for said marginalized group, and it just means you’re showing yourself as someone who finds bigotry funny for one reason or another. Okay, that’s my high horse for the day.

The suspense in the first minute or two of SpongeBob dealing with the fungus is very well-crafted. The music, the absolute helplessness, the mystery of what this fungus even is, very well done. And of course, because this is SpongeBob SquarePants, there’s comedy intermixed in there as well, such as when Squidward barges in to find SpongeBob scratching. I love how Squidward is more confused than anything until SpongeBob’s fungus-covered nose sticks back out, and then he starts screaming and jumping on the cabinet, that was funny. And then not Squidward literally calling a SWAT team on SpongeBob, that’s horrible and hilarious. The way the team treats SpongeBob like some kind of animal is just horrible, but in a good way. Though it is a bit harder to watch given the…context we find ourselves in now, and how shamefully society has acted towards certain infected groups. But I really, really don’t want to get into that here today. So I won’t.

Of course, that can’t be end of the fungus, so Squidward now gets infected. I won’t say deserved, but I will say deserved because mans was smiling the entire time SpongeBob was getting captured, he took glee in having SpongeBob be treated in such a manner. Watching the ick spread is just nasty. Seeing SpongeBob in the quarantine bubble adds more and more mystery to whatever is going on here, and seeing Gary being locked up too is upsetting, but I always do love seeing SpongeBob’s concern for Gary. The way the doctors just leave him there is quite…questionable though. Malpractice, honestly. And how did Patrick even get in? Just an alarm blaring and that’s it? Sure, why not. Patrick always manages to get places he shouldn’t, probably because he’s so dumb that he thinks outside of the box. Patrick continually doing things to pop the bubble while SpongeBob tells him not to is annoying (though the cleats bit of it was funny) and brings to mind "Wet Painters", but thankfully that portion of the scene ends quickly. I definitely prefer Patrick popping the bubble because of an activity he and SpongeBob agree to do over him doing it while SpongeBob cries out against it. And any residual annoyance I have at this scene pretty much dissipates once Patrick actually becomes part of the solution to the bubble problem, rather than SpongeBob having to fix Patrick's mess.

Back at the Krusty Krab, watching everything go down with the ick is just nasty. I can’t tell if it helps or hampers how I feel about this episode. I just think the elephant in the room has really changed how I view this episode because now instead of abstractly knowing the consequences of bad hygiene when one is sick, I’ve seen it. We’ve all seen it. Anyway, once Squidward realizes what’s going on and an angry mob forms against him, I love the way the most pretentiously-spoken one there tells Mr. Krabs why they’re in a commotion. And then we get a wonderful bit of the exact opposite of what Mr. Krabs says happening with an absolutely disgusting and horrid looking SpongeBob walking into the Krusty Krab. They really went all out with making this episode look gross, but not necessarily revolting. Now, it does end up making me feel more gross than I would like to, but that’s really because of our unnamed elephant, not because of anything this episode did. And that is why “The Splinter” has much to learn from this episode. Much to learn.

The way the mob turns on SpongeBob is just upsetting to watch, not to mention frustrating. Considering the ick is visible, first off everyone should look inward and ask themselves why they didn’t see the bright neon green s*** on their patties (I try to refrain from swearing in these reviews out of common courtesy, because irl I'm like a sailor, but sometimes some things just need to be said). And from there, we need to question again the health code violations of the restaurant considering Squidward was scratching all on himself and handling food, no hand washing to be seen. Frankly, out of everyone working at the Krusty Krab, SpongeBob was taking the most health precautions by covering his fungus-covered hands and covering the fungus on his head with his hat. He really should’ve just not come into the workplace, but we’re just dealing with what we have. So what I’m saying is basically this is not SpongeBob’s fault. He even came to the Krusty Krab in a quarantine bubble! And then in terms of the actual scene, it’s upsetting to watch everyone attack SpongeBob (stupidly might I add, why did they not consider that popping his quarantine bubble would be a horrendous idea), while he just cries.

Thankfully, we cut to Gary which cuts that scene short, at least a little bit. And once the bubble inevitably pops, Gary returns quickly to help resolve the problem of the ick with his bottom feeding tendencies. The fighting between Nat, the other fish, and Patrick about who goes first was pretty funny. And then I love Mr. Krabs just being such a greedy person. The way the British guy slaps him was hilarious. And then of course I just love the ending of the episode, because Gary is so happy! And I love me some Gary. And I also love that this episode is an example of some pretty concise, full-circle writing with Gary being the solution, and the episode starting with him (and if SpongeBob had let him eat the fungus in the first place, the entire problem could have been avoided).

"Fungus Among Us" is an episode that fits very well in my "Good" tier. There are moments that irritate me for sure, but they're redeemed by other pretty great moments in the episode, which balances the scales a bit. And I think there's more to enjoy here than not. The beginning of the episode is more dull than anything, in general, but it's still enjoyable enough to watch, and things get far more entertaining as the minutes roll by. However, I do think this episode has been...diminished, at least a tiny bit, possibly permanently by our unnamed elephant. I know we were all mad about episodes like "Hiccup Plague" and "Kwarantined Krab" getting delayed or pulled, but after watching this episode I can fully understand the logic (I could before, but I think rewatching this episode has cemented my perspective). It can just make you think about things you don't want to think about.

Episode Score: 7.5/10
yeah so remember when i said season 5 is better than season 4, well after rewatching it....no season 4 is definitely better

"Fungus Among Us"! And yeah, let me go ahead and just say it now, haha amogus.
no pug4thugs i think the memes are still amongst u- ''meko1432 was ejected''

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
yeah so remember when i said season 5 is better than season 4, well after rewatching it....no season 4 is definitely better
Yeah I'm starting to get that feeling too now that I'm 6 episodes in...but who knows, maybe things will turn around.

Heyo_Heyo

Moby Dollar

Episode Score: 7.5/10
Nice review but I think you forgot to mention that this is one of the most hated episodes (just look at the other reviews then you’ll see LOL)

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
Nice review but I think you forgot to mention that this is one of the most hated episodes (just look at the other reviews then you’ll see LOL)
other people have different opinions, an episode pug4thugs likes may be an episode you despise, if she didnt find the episode garbage then she doesnt need to add it in the review

Heyo_Heyo

Moby Dollar
other people have different opinions, an episode pug4thugs likes may be an episode you despise, if she didnt find the episode garbage then she doesnt need to add it in the review
oh yeah that’s true just thought I say btw do you play Among Us (just asking)

Last edited:

Heyo_Heyo

Moby Dollar
I think Among Us saved this episode and made it more famous 😂 😂

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
I agree that this episode isn't very well-liked, but I'm not sure that I think it's one of the most hated episodes, even without considering my own opinions on it. I'd argue that this season has other episodes that overshadow this episode in terms of hatred, like "To Love A Patty" or "Whatever Happened to SpongeBob?" or "Boat Smarts".

Btw @Pugs4Thugs now I think this episode is less hated because of the Among Us references what do you think
lol I'm thinking you might be right on that one. Even just looking at this episode's title I start thinking of Among Us immediately which makes me laugh.

Heyo_Heyo

Moby Dollar
I agree that this episode isn't very well-liked, but I'm not sure that I think it's one of the most hated episodes, even without considering my own opinions on it. I'd argue that this season has other episodes that overshadow this episode in terms of hatred, like "To Love A Patty" or "Whatever Happened to SpongeBob?" or "Boat Smarts".

lol I'm thinking you might be right on that one. Even just looking at this episode's title I start thinking of Among Us immediately which makes me laugh.
Ehh Boat Smarts? I don’t think that one is very hated Fungus Among Waiting and To Love A Patty seem to be the most hated episodes of season 5 based on overall reviews I’ve seen and yeah the two infamous specials and Breath Of Fresh Squidward are definitely more hated than Boat Smarts but I guess we've had different encounters in terms of reception for these episodes LOL
BUT it's true over the years this episode has become more memed than hated due to it's name LMAO

Last edited:

SpongebobMaster

The Guy Who Reviews UHHHHH
(WARNING: BAD REVIEW I DISOWN THIS) The 83 trilogy just becomes worse with this DISGUSTING episode it has nothing good about it NOTHING its not funny its doesn't have good animation GOOD GOD THE ANIMATION the "Itch" is just so disgusting specially with the 2nd bubble pop scene ITS THE MOST DISGUSTING THING TO COME OUT OF THIS SHOW its gross boring disturbing and most of all ONE OF THE WORST EPISODES OF THE ENTIRE SHOW
This episode after covid makes it a 0.5 instead of a 0 GOOD JOB EPISODE

Last edited:

SpongebobMaster

The Guy Who Reviews UHHHHH
God I got too mad when I reviewed this I honestly don't know why I was so mad when I did this this has got to be one of the worst reviews I have done, lets just hope its my worst I got too mad when I reviewed this I really really got mad I knew this was yesterday but I should act less like this I still the episode is one of the worst in the show but I'm not going to get that mad
The 83 trilogy just becomes worse with this DISGUSTING episode it has nothing good about it NOTHING its not funny its doesn't have good animation GOOD GOD THE ANIMATION the "Itch" is just so disgusting specially with the 2nd bubble pop scene ITS THE MOST DISGUSTING THING TO COME OUT OF THIS SHOW its gross boring disturbing and most of all ONE OF THE WORST EPISODES OF THE ENTIRE SHOW
This episode after covid makes it a 0.5 instead of a 0 GOOD JOB EPISODE

Back