083a. Rise and Shine

SUS

Moby Dollar
Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­t
This is the prime example of a SpongeBob episode that lacks substance, charm, and comedy. What we get here is just lame and forgettable. It's not heinous, but I don't like it at all. The jokes are tedious and uninspired, and there's not many there. Since the jokes are so long and boring, the whole episode just makes me want to fall asleep or watch something else. And the saddest part is that the episode is only 4 minutes long. I thought the whole point of episodes like those was to fit as much as you can in what little time you have. This episode does the exact opposite of that.

I give this episode a 4/10

Flabby Patty

Flabby Patty > Krusty Krab
Am I the only one who actually likes this episode? I'll say that it does an OK job at comedy, but misses it a bit with the character. Other than that, I don't see why everyone's so bitter about this one. At least it's a 4-minute short, so flanderization shouldn't be a problem. 8.5/10!

Captain Stupid

Moby Dollar
This episode is criminally underrated. I personally think this is a really funny episode. Patrick's stupidity is really fun to watch and it actually feels genuine! 10/10

SquiddlyPie

random gal
I am giving this a 5/10 just because it wasn't particularly interesting and the amount of funny quotes was below the average , it didn't have something bad though or something I didn't really like, it was also a short episode (around 4 minutes) and it felt much more (like 6 or 7 -or at least for me) and I don't consider that as a good fact...so I consider it a meh...not bad, just meh, so I am going with 5

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Stupid, pointless, irritating, though somewhat of a guilty pleasure. At least there are some funny quotes.

6/10

I like this ep. Yeah, it's really stupid, but I don't care, I find it funny. It's only 4 minutes long, so it's good for a nice quick laugh if you need it. 8/10.

Baloo

I GAVE YOU A JOB!
While I don't care for it, it doesn't really annoy me that much and it's far more tolerable than the other two episodes in this pair. It's also over quick, so there isn't too much for me to get mad at.

5/10

I felt this was filler, but a good concept as a short episode. It was certainly funny at times or mediocre. I thought this was leaning to the more creative side, focusing on another character besides SpongeBob. If I could watch this again, I would. 6/10

I've decided to review the ten shorts of Season 5.
This episode was mediocre. The alarm was kind of annoying, but this episode does have some funny moments. I give it a C.

Highlight: "I gotta put on my teeth and brush my pants!"

Ranking so far
1. Rise and Shine

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
Pretty pointless episode. It wasn't really that funny, and some of the scenes just felt dragged out beyond belief, like Patrick trying to get the food out of the can. This episode feels so much longer than it actually was, which is ironic because it's only 4 minutes long. This just proves that Patrick can't hold an episode up on his own (which is why im really worried for the upcoming spinoff :P) There wasn't really anything that bad in the episode, but there's nothing really good either.

Meh episode (5/10)

1. Friend or Foe (8)
2. Night Light (5)
3. Rise and Shine (5)
4. The Original Fry Cook (5)

Bigsmoker

Frozen Cephalopod
I rewatched it today. This episode is very funny for me. I give it 8/10.

spunchbop444

Squidward's Clarinet
Plot: (5.8/10): I really like the idea, but it's still pretty pointless in terms of plot. I mean, whoever wondered what Patrick's morning went?

Humor: (5/5): This is a really funny episode, even if it's pointless. It has some funny quotes like "I gotta put on my teeth and brush my pants!". Unpopular opinion alert, I really liked the alarm clock gag and the food can gag.

Visuals: (8.5/10): Looks like a regular season 5 episode, not much to say.

Episode score: 168 points.

Squidwardiard

Frozen Cephalopod
Feels like a protype for the Patrick show sort of. Ive always kinda liked this ep. Its pretty uneventful, but its only a few minutes long, so i can forgive it for that. I like the funny idea of Patrick getting ready for the day. Interesting that this is the 3rd short of the actual series. Before was reef blower and Gary takes a bath. They experimented with Patrick being on his own in a shorter episode. This may have helped lead to the Patrick show and eps like Patrick's coupon

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
This one had many very funny gags like the alarm clock gag. "I GOT TO PUT ON MY TEETH AND BRUSH MY PANTS!" is one of Patrick best lines so i like this episode.

Rating: Great Episode

Rankings:
Friend or Foe (Perfect)
Rise and Shine (Great)
Night Light (Alright)
The Original Fry Cook (Okay)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Rolling right along in our start of season 5, we've got "Rise and Shine". Honestly these short episodes are what's gonna save me with making sure I hit all the reviews this month for real lol. Unfortunately, I can't quite muster up such positive affect for this episode though, because man is it a boring one. This episode is so very interesting since it is a short one, and also because it does follow a character we don’t typically follow throughout the day, which is Patrick. Though to SpongeBob's question, no, no I don't wonder about Patrick's mornings. And this episode tells me exactly why I do not.

Patrick being scared of his alarm was very…not funny. And him thinking it was sentient wasn’t that great. I liked that one completely done face he made though. See as we go on I get increasingly annoyed about hearing this alarm sound. Luckily the sound mixers knew what they were doing and made it not very unbearable, but it’s more the principle of having this alarm go off for minutes on end that annoys me. It doesn’t help that I’m not being distracted by it because 2 minutes in (half of the episode, by the way) and I have yet to laugh. Thankfully the weird “SpongeBob” pillow falls on the alarm and it ends that whole thing, so praise. And then we see Patrick learning that his canned food is in fact canned food, and it’s…boring. The seconds and seconds we spend on Patrick trying to get the food out of the can like it is a dog are extremely dull and there’s nothing funny happening.

For some reason, scenes in this episode are very slow which makes absolutely no sense because this is a short. Scenes should not be breathing here, we should be going rapid-fire. And "Rise and Shine" doesn’t seem to understand that until about 3 minutes and 25 seconds in, when there’s 35 seconds left of the episode. At the very least, this section of Patrick officially getting ready for the day after realizing he’s late is entertaining, a first for this episode. I love how Gary was apparently there for no reason, and the way Patrick says “pants” catches me off-guard.

Yeah Patrick is extremely dumb in this episode, and this episode is boring and not funny. And this is why I don’t think Patrick can carry an episode entirely on his own. Dumbness is not funny by itself for the most part unless it has something to play off of, typically another, brighter character. Not just because that character will say “you’re dumb”, but because that dumbness can lead somewhere other than a character not knowing basic facts about life. And this isn’t me knocking The Patrick Star Show so don’t even start, because that show has a variety of characters that means that even though it’s led by Patrick, he gets those dynamics and interactions he need to make his iconic character trait work well.

In general, this episode is just...not great. I wouldn't call it bad, because nothing really happens so I can't call it good or bad. I thought about putting it in my "Okay" tier for that exact reason, but that dang alarm went off for just so long at the beginning. Other than the annoyance I felt from that thing, this episode doesn't exactly inspire any feeling at all in me, other than boredom. Which also isn't a good feeling, but for episodes that do that and little else, those are typically in my "Okay" tier. This episode is a step below that, belonging in "Mediocre".

Episode Tier: Mediocre
Episode Score:
5.8/10

SpongebobMaster

Dollarbob enjoyer
rewatched this one with my step dad last night and holy crap this episode is hilarious I think I laughed the most out of any season 5 episode and thats saying a lot very overrated

SpongebobMaster

Dollarbob enjoyer
This one had many very funny gags like the alarm clock gag. "I GOT TO PUT ON MY TEETH AND BRUSH MY PANTS!" is one of Patrick best lines so i like this episode.

Rating: Great Episode

Rankings:
Friend or Foe (Perfect)
Rise and Shine (Great)
Night Light (Alright)
The Original Fry Cook (Okay)
yeah very overhated in my book

Back