082b. Night Light

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
This is easily one of the show's most strangest episodes. This one was alright just alright all around. The jokes were pretty flat and the episode was all over the place. But at least Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy were in it.

Rating: Alright Episode

Rankings:
Friend or Foe (Perfect)
Night Light (Alright)
The Original Fry Cook (Okay)

GlitchyGoomba

Bomb-Selling Pirate
I actually kind of enjoyed this episode. It's not great, it certainly has its flaws, but I believe things start getting really good once Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy show up, and attempt to stop the moth. There's a bunch of good, fast-paced slapstick, with Spongebob ending the battle in a really hilarious way. I also thought the twists of Spongebob hallucinating creepy creatures of the dark were well done. Everything else about the episode was just kind of stupid. Spongebob's nyctophobia affects him from doing basic things during the day, and ruins any interest that I would otherwise have.

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Coming up next, we've got "Night Light", a perfectly okay episode. Yeah, it's about to be one of those, I don't know what to tell you. I will say that I didn't realize that this episode was the origin of the "that's horrible/that's hilarious" meme, so that's fun. Anyway, this episode's biggest problem is that it's dull with only sporadic bits of true enjoyment. So let's talk about it.

The beginning part of the episode isn’t particularly entertaining, but I do like how the end of the story is that the author of it died, and then I love how Gary is so scared he just falls over lmao. It’s so cute that SpongeBob puts Gary in his bed to comfort both of them though. I'll also say that this episode had some cool designs in it, like the chair imagery was horrifying. SpongeBob’s continued turning on and off the lights along with some screams is pretty amusing. Honestly, now that I think about it, this whole beginning scene feels as close to a cold open as we’ll get in this show.

And then once we get to the Krusty Krab, we pretty much immediately start getting chaos as mans is afraid of the dark. We also start with a good gross-up of SpongeBob. Anyway, the chaos ensured that this section wasn't boring at least. Him being scared of blinking is actually so hilarious. Also, the cooler part used to scare me a bit as a kid because literally what was that...who's face was that. Why. And while we're on childhood memories, SpongeBob screaming about the darkness reminds me of something else from childhood…those “Wishology” specials from Fairly Odd Parents. Y’all remember those? Man that was a good time.

From here, this is where I start to feel more...conflicted about this episode. I’m of two minds about the whole segment of SpongeBob buying a million night lights. The parts and Barg-N-Mart are not very entertaining, particularly when he first goes there, but it works with the whole montage. And SpongeBob’s continuous discovery of dark places in his house was pretty amusing, even if I am screaming at the screen for him to just close some damn doors. Anyway, I don’t even wanna think of what his electric bill might be. I liked the art of SpongeBob’s lit up house. And also I have many questions about Patrick having a window. And while I did question Patrick’s inclusion in this episode at first, I did love his muttering as he goes over to SpongeBob’s place all mad that he’s not invited to the supposed party. Patrick moving his whole house into SpongeBob’s is hilarious, I definitely wasn’t expecting all that (I mean I was but you get it). The sleeping bag bit was not as cute as I hoped it would be though, and felt like padding more than anything. Ugh, I hate using that word...padding. It makes me think of early-2010s cartoon reviewers, so I'll be avoiding that word and "filler" as much as possible.

Anyway, we then move on to Squidward’s inevitable inclusion into this episode. I love how the conditions work just right for his eyes to catch on fire. Patrick hiding inside of SpongeBob was hilarious. And I like that Squidward ended up being included, even if just for a minute, because if Patrick’s here, might as well keep the trio.

I don’t think this episode leans enough into being dramatic. Like SpongeBob’s fear of the darkness is to the point of absurdity. Do something more with that! Yeah, he ended up buying a million lights, but we could’ve had more, I think. Don’t ask me what we could’ve had, all I can say is that I feel a lack. SpongeBob and Patrick getting more lights doesn’t actually make sense, considering SpongeBob suggested that Squidward was right, so that was a little weird. But the part where they get lights is…fine. I liked the one gag with Patrick drying out from the bright spotlight. And that Pinky’s sign was pretty funny.

And then we get a real plot twist (well, ignoring the credits at the beginning of this episode) with Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy appearing out of nowhere. It’s been a while since we’ve seen them, so I’m down. And even though Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy aren’t characters I’d call inherently funny, they did have some good bits in this episode. Like I liked Mermaid Man’s line about how hard it is for old people to move. Also did anyone else notice that Barnacle Boy didn’t say anything until the end of MM and BB’s appearance??? And because we haven’t had enough of the Batman and Robin call-backs, parodies, and homages, we have the introduction of The Moth, voiced by the one and only Mark Hamill (AKA the voice of The Joker in…a lot of stuff) Unfortunately the “action” scene between MM and The Moth is…not super entertaining, which I get is the point but that doesn’t mean I have to like it. SpongeBob’s part is better, but not by much…I love how The Moth just flies off with SpongeBob’s house though. I did like how this episode concluded though. We end with a collection of gorgeous backgrounds though as the sun rises on SpongeBob and Patrick. And we get a funny ending for this episode with Patrick running towards the sun, SpongeBob passing out, and Patrick running around with his butt on fire.

I didn't actually talk about the dullness in this episode that much, but trust me, it's there. It's just the overarching vibe of the episode rather than many specific moments. That's why I don't feel good about placing this episode anywhere above "Okay" tier.

Episode Tier: Okay
Episode Score:
6.7/10

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
Coming up next, we've got "Night Light", a perfectly okay episode. Yeah, it's about to be one of those, I don't know what to tell you. I will say that I didn't realize that this episode was the origin of the "that's horrible/that's hilarious" meme, so that's fun. Anyway, this episode's biggest problem is that it's dull with only sporadic bits of true enjoyment. So let's talk about it.

The beginning part of the episode isn’t particularly entertaining, but I do like how the end of the story is that the author of it died, and then I love how Gary is so scared he just falls over lmao. It’s so cute that SpongeBob puts Gary in his bed to comfort both of them though. I'll also say that this episode had some cool designs in it, like the chair imagery was horrifying. SpongeBob’s continued turning on and off the lights along with some screams is pretty amusing. Honestly, now that I think about it, this whole beginning scene feels as close to a cold open as we’ll get in this show.

And then once we get to the Krusty Krab, we pretty much immediately start getting chaos as mans is afraid of the dark. We also start with a good gross-up of SpongeBob. Anyway, the chaos ensured that this section wasn't boring at least. Him being scared of blinking is actually so hilarious. Also, the cooler part used to scare me a bit as a kid because literally what was that...who's face was that. Why. And while we're on childhood memories, SpongeBob screaming about the darkness reminds me of something else from childhood…those “Wishology” specials from Fairly Odd Parents. Y’all remember those? Man that was a good time.

From here, this is where I start to feel more...conflicted about this episode. I’m of two minds about the whole segment of SpongeBob buying a million night lights. The parts and Barg-N-Mart are not very entertaining, particularly when he first goes there, but it works with the whole montage. And SpongeBob’s continuous discovery of dark places in his house was pretty amusing, even if I am screaming at the screen for him to just close some damn doors. Anyway, I don’t even wanna think of what his electric bill might be. I liked the art of SpongeBob’s lit up house. And also I have many questions about Patrick having a window. And while I did question Patrick’s inclusion in this episode at first, I did love his muttering as he goes over to SpongeBob’s place all mad that he’s not invited to the supposed party. Patrick moving his whole house into SpongeBob’s is hilarious, I definitely wasn’t expecting all that (I mean I was but you get it). The sleeping bag bit was not as cute as I hoped it would be though, and felt like padding more than anything. Ugh, I hate using that word...padding. It makes me think of early-2010s cartoon reviewers, so I'll be avoiding that word and "filler" as much as possible.

Anyway, we then move on to Squidward’s inevitable inclusion into this episode. I love how the conditions work just right for his eyes to catch on fire. Patrick hiding inside of SpongeBob was hilarious. And I like that Squidward ended up being included, even if just for a minute, because if Patrick’s here, might as well keep the trio.

I don’t think this episode leans enough into being dramatic. Like SpongeBob’s fear of the darkness is to the point of absurdity. Do something more with that! Yeah, he ended up buying a million lights, but we could’ve had more, I think. Don’t ask me what we could’ve had, all I can say is that I feel a lack. SpongeBob and Patrick getting more lights doesn’t actually make sense, considering SpongeBob suggested that Squidward was right, so that was a little weird. But the part where they get lights is…fine. I liked the one gag with Patrick drying out from the bright spotlight. And that Pinky’s sign was pretty funny.

And then we get a real plot twist (well, ignoring the credits at the beginning of this episode) with Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy appearing out of nowhere. It’s been a while since we’ve seen them, so I’m down. And even though Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy aren’t characters I’d call inherently funny, they did have some good bits in this episode. Like I liked Mermaid Man’s line about how hard it is for old people to move. Also did anyone else notice that Barnacle Boy didn’t say anything until the end of MM and BB’s appearance??? And because we haven’t had enough of the Batman and Robin call-backs, parodies, and homages, we have the introduction of The Moth, voiced by the one and only Mark Hamill (AKA the voice of The Joker in…a lot of stuff) Unfortunately the “action” scene between MM and The Moth is…not super entertaining, which I get is the point but that doesn’t mean I have to like it. SpongeBob’s part is better, but not by much…I love how The Moth just flies off with SpongeBob’s house though. I did like how this episode concluded though. We end with a collection of gorgeous backgrounds though as the sun rises on SpongeBob and Patrick. And we get a funny ending for this episode with Patrick running towards the sun, SpongeBob passing out, and Patrick running around with his butt on fire.

I didn't actually talk about the dullness in this episode that much, but trust me, it's there. It's just the overarching vibe of the episode rather than many specific moments. That's why I don't feel good about placing this episode anywhere above "Okay" tier.

Episode Tier: Okay
Episode Score: 6.7/10
apparently this episode was supposed to be in season 4, but it feels nothing like season 4 it just feels like a season 5 episode, ''krabs ala mode'' feels like a season 4 episode

FryBob PattyPants

Semi-Anthropomorphic Sponge
An episode that manages to be dull despite the amount of night lights, it overuses the "scared of the dark" gag and makes it unfunny.
Episode Score: 75/100 (C)
Episode Tier: Mediocre

SpongebobMaster

Dollarbob enjoyer
I actually really liked this one it was really relatable I liked some of the jokes and the ending was funny
8.5/10
  1. Friend or foe (10/10)
  2. Night Light (8.5/10)
  3. The Original Fry Cook (4.5/10)

Back