06a. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
It has a great plot and a lot of very funny jokes, great way to start this series of episodes.

10/10

Ol Bold and Brash

Hu Tao stan
A greatway to start the series with MM&BB, it had some funny moments

Grade: A+

Best Character: All of Them

Best Line: EVIL!!!

Best Moment: The same moment as the line above

DigDugtrio

Floating Shopping List
A good Mermaidman and Barnacleboy episode. This one was, of course, the first one of many.

This one is ok. Not great, but it is ok. But I do love that this episode gave birth to the "EVIL!!!" catchphrase!

4/5

This is another staple of the series: Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy! This episode is the start of a series of episodes revolving around the two. SpongeBob and Patrick try to convince them to come out of retirement so they can fight evil again. That's really all I have to say.

Airdate: August 21, 1999

I'll go ahead and say it, the two MM&BB episodes this season were the weakest of the sextology. This one, while not the worst, is one of the weaker ones. Sure, it had a few funny gags here and there, but overall it was just kinda forgettable in my opinion.

Ranking so far:
1. Pizza Delivery (A+)
2. Plankton! (A)
3. Naughty Nautical Neighbors (A)
4. Help Wanted (A)
5. Boating School (B)
6. Bubblestand (B)
7. Home Sweet Pineapple (B)
8. Jellyfishing (B)
9. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy (C)
10. Tea at the Treedome (C)
11. Ripped Pants (C)
12. Reef Blower (C)

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
This one is alright, but I just wish there were more memorable moments in here. There were some nice jokes, and the plot was alright. The fight scene was also pretty alright. This episode in general is just alright. That's really all I have to say about it.

Good episode (7/10)

1. Pizza Delivery (10)
2. Plankton! (9)
3. Naughty Nautical Neighbors (9)
4. Help Wanted (9)
5. Ripped Pants (8)
6. Tea at the Treedome (7)
7. Home Sweet Pineapple (7)
8. Boating School (7)
9. Bubblestand (7)
10. Mermaidman and Barnacleboy (7)
11. Reef Blower (6)
12. Jellyfishing (5)

spunchbop444

Squidward's Clarinet
6.5/10

Boring in some parts, but I find it to be okay. I find some jokes to be funny, like "STOP SHOUTING IM NAPPING!" "IT'S NOT ME YOU OLD COOT!" and "EVIL! EEEEEEEEEEVIL!" but that's about it. I find the first half to be okay, and the second half a tiny bit better. Overall, it's an okay episode.

Naughty Nautical Neighbors: (10/10)
Ripped Pants: (10/10)
Tea at the TreeDome: (10/10)
Help Wanted: (9.5/10)
Pizza Delivery: (9/10)
Plankton!: (9/10)
Boating School: (8.5/10)
Bubblestand: (8.5/10)
Reef Blower: (7.5/10)
Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy I (6.5/10)
Home Sweet Pineapple: (6.5/10)
Jellyfishing: (1.5/10)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
A nice episode to introduce Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy.

Rating: Great Episode

Rankings:
Pizza Delivery (Amazing!)
Reef Blower (Amazing!)
Help Wanted (Amazing!)
Plankton! (Amazing!)
Naughty Nautical Neighbors (Amazing!)
Bubblestand (Great)
Jellyfishing (Great)
MMABB (Great)
Ripped Pants (Okay)
Boating School (Okay)
Tea at the Treedome (Meh)
Home Sweet Pineapple (Bad)

DannyWapbang

Sponge of Mystery
Mermaid Pants is probably one of the most adorable pieces of animation produced.

Also, young Mermaid Man is kinda hot.

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Next up, we have the beginning of one of the most beloved parts of SpongeBob, the Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy series! Now that I've been getting into DC and Marvel comics (especially Batman-related stuff), it's so fun to look back at this episode and see it for the homage/parody that it is. Also, did anyone as a kid just completely not question Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy being humans? Like first off I don't think it fully clicked for me that they were, and unless it was brought up I just didn't think about it at all.

This episode is fun. It's cute to see SpongeBob be a fanboy over these two superheroes, and it's absolutely hilarious to see the show's take on two elderly heroes. Quite different than Batman Beyond, am I right? (*crickets*)

Now yes, this episode is a bit...slow. It drags on a few times for me. But it's still a good episode. I think my main issue is that even though I enjoy Mermaid Man and especially Barnacle Boy, they just aren't very compelling characters to me (which is why I'm glad they have very limited appearances, they're always at their best when they happen to be there). I do think this episode is slightly underrated though, because when it's funny it's really funny, and I feel like no one really talks about that.

I really don't have much to say about this episode beyond what I already have. It's probably at the bottom of the MM&BB series for me (as in the main 6). I need to rewatch IV and VI, since I can't remember how I feel about those episodes right now, especially compared to this one.

Episode Tier: Good
Episode Score:
7/10

Back