06a. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
Next up, we have the beginning of one of the most beloved parts of SpongeBob, the Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy series! Now that I've been getting into DC and Marvel comics (especially Batman-related stuff), it's so fun to look back at this episode and see it for the homage/parody that it is. Also, did anyone as a kid just completely not question Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy being humans? Like first off I don't think it fully clicked for me that they were, and unless it was brought up I just didn't think about it at all.

This episode is fun. It's cute to see SpongeBob be a fanboy over these two superheroes, and it's absolutely hilarious to see the show's take on two elderly heroes. Quite different than Batman Beyond, am I right? (*crickets*)

Now yes, this episode is a bit...slow. It drags on a few times for me. But it's still a good episode. I think my main issue is that even though I enjoy Mermaid Man and especially Barnacle Boy, they just aren't very compelling characters to me (which is why I'm glad they have very limited appearances, they're always at their best when they happen to be there). I do think this episode is slightly underrated though, because when it's funny it's really funny, and I feel like no one really talks about that.

I really don't have much to say about this episode beyond what I already have. It's probably at the bottom of the MM&BB series for me (as in the main 6). I need to rewatch IV and VI, since I can't remember how I feel about those episodes right now, especially compared to this one.

Episode Tier: Good
Episode Score: 7/10
the ''donuts'' bit tho

Yummylesecond

DOWNTOWN PUBLIC LIBRARY
I love this episode it reminds me of the campy comics that I LOVE it kinda reminds me of the adam west batman show I think I'm being clouded by nostalgia but this episode is one of the top 5 in season one

spongie33

Sad Squidward Expert
Staff
I think that was a good episode. Good star to the Mermaid and Barnacle Boy episodes.

Back