04b. Boating School

Rex

Floating Shopping List
Although my least favourite pre movie Boating School episode still not bad. It's a nice story with a good moral and also has some great jokes like the cow and Patrick Sqaurepants, It also introduced Ms. Puff who is a great character, where it falls down is some scenes fell very dry and seems like there could of been something inserted into it. Another complaint and this could just be me I think this may be the worst looking season 1 episode (Excluding Help Wanted). I don't know why but some of the reused animation in the cheating reveal and also just Spongebob looks very off in this episode IMO. His mouth movements could have used a little work and maybe also Patrick seems a lot heavier in this episode. This could all just be me but IMO it does bring it down

Overall a solid episode which introduced a major character and has it's moments 7/10

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
Although my least favourite pre movie Boating School episode still not bad. It's a nice story with a good moral and also has some great jokes like the cow and Patrick Sqaurepants, It also introduced Ms. Puff who is a great character, where it falls down is some scenes fell very dry and seems like there could of been something inserted into it. Another complaint and this could just be me I think this may be the worst looking season 1 episode (Excluding Help Wanted). I don't know why but some of the reused animation in the cheating reveal and also just Spongebob looks very off in this episode IMO. His mouth movements could have used a little work and maybe also Patrick seems a lot heavier in this episode. This could all just be me but IMO it does bring it down

Overall a solid episode which introduced a major character and has it's moments 7/10

I Was a Teenage Gary and Scardey Pants were the ugliest season 1 episodes

Octavionknox888

Moby Dollar
This one is Ok. I remember other boating school episodes being better, but this one's harmless
58/100 Ok

Last edited:

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
Good, but nothing special. One of the weaker character introductions in my book. While I find the first half to be just okay, the second half is actually really good, and I really liked the montage. Also, MY LEG!

1. Plankton! (9)
2. Naughty Nautical Neighbors (9)
3. Help Wanted (9)
4. Ripped Pants (8)
5. Tea at the Treedome (7)
6. Boating School (7)
7. Bubblestand (7)
8. Reef Blower (6)
9. Jellyfishing (5)

spunchbop444

Squidward's Clarinet
8.5/10

Funny introduction, but it's a low decent plot. I find the first half to be pretty weak, the second half was alright, and the ending was somewhat funny, and was probably the highlight of this episode. Not a great episode, but it's good enough to earn an 8.5. It's a weak introduction though, but it does earn some points for the first of "MY LEG!". "I'M CHEATING!" was pretty funny, and Mrs. Puff trying to make SpongeBob finish the test cheating was funny aswell. Overall, good episode.

Naughty Nautical Neighbors: (10/10)
Ripped Pants: (10/10)
Tea at the TreeDome: (10/10)
Help Wanted: (9.5/10)
Plankton!: (9/10)
Boating School: (8.5/10)
Bubblestand: (8.5/10)
Reef Blower: (7.5/10)
Jellyfishing: (1.5/10)

Snails

Floating Shopping List
This is a really underrated episode. The plot seems natural for the show, and while it isn't the funniest episode, it does have some good comedy. It's also very iconic and not forgettable at all. So Overall everything is good here and I really don't have much to say.

#9. Tea At The Treedome (D)
#8. Jellyfishing (
C)
#7. Ripped Pants (
C)
#6. Reef Blower (
C)
#5. Bubblestand (
A)
#4. Plankton! (
A)
#3. Boating School (
A)
#2. Help Wanted (
A)
#1. Naughty Nautical Neighbors (
A)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
This episode spawned the "my leg!" gag but this one was alright. It introduces Mrs. Puff really well. But the execution is really weak and this episode is also boring.

Rating: Okay Episode

Rankings:
Reef Blower (Amazing!)
Help Wanted (Amazing!)
Plankton! (Amazing!)
Naughty Nautical Neighbors (Amazing!)
Bubblestand (Great)
Jellyfishing (Great)
Ripped Pants (Okay)
Boating School (Okay)
Tea at the Treedome (Meh)

GlitchyGoomba

Bomb-Selling Pirate
This episode is a pretty solid watch. I didn't think the first half of it was particularly special (outside of the my leg gag) , but things start getting really good in the second half. First off, I like how Patrick actually seems set on helping his friend the whole way through his test, even if it means telling him all the steps. I also really like the montage of Spongebob and Ms. Puff following the rules of the road, i think the music fits really well, and the random stunts kept me entertained throughout. I especially like Spongebob's breakdown at the end when he realizes he's been cheating, it's really hilarious that Patrick just ditches him on the spot.

CanuckChum

Baby Clam
This is a pretty good episode, introducing us to Mrs. Puff. It's fun watching Patrick guide SpongeBob through his driving test, and the different maneuvers he goes through. I also love Mrs. Puff's deep voice after they crash into the lighthouse ("Oh, Spongebob, why?"), followed by the first "My Leg!" gag right after.

Episode Rating - 8/10

1. Help Wanted (9/10)
2. Naughty Nautical Neighbors (9/10)
3. Plankton! (9/10)
4. Bubblestand (8/10)
5. Boating School (8/10)
6. Ripped Pants (7/10)
7. Tea at the Treedome (7/10)
8. Reef Blower (7/10)
9. Jellyfishing (6/10)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Take a (non-alcoholic) shot every time I say some form of 'introduction' in one of these reviews. Can't hate it if it's true! This episode introduces yet another key part of SpongeBob, boating school! And with it, it introduces one of the funniest characters in the show, Mrs. Puff! I talked about this in my "Help Wanted" review, but boating school (and by extension Mrs. Puff) is so important for SpongeBob SquarePants because they're the reasons Nickelodeon allowed the show to be made, because they wanted that school aspect that would (to them) make the show more appealing to younger audiences. And honestly, "school" in SpongeBob being a driving school is one of the most brilliant examples of reluctant compliance I have ever seen, because it actually serves to reinforce that SpongeBob is an adult, not a child.

"Boating School" is a good, solid episode. Like all the episodes so far, it's really, really funny, and the plot is great! SpongeBob riding a unicycle is something that's just so him, and I love that they included that. It also leads to the really wholesome ending of Gary (my love) bringing SpongeBob's unicycle back to him. In between these moments we've got the introduction of a character that can give Squidward a run for his money in terms of pure doneness and freakouts. And let's not even get started on how this was the first use of "My leg!" Who know that would catch on so fantastically?

The plot of this episode also leads to many funny moments, because you already know that SpongeBob trying to cheat won't go well. He's just too good and pure. Patrick plays an excellent supporting role in this episode, and honestly I find him wearing SpongeBob's pants to be really funny haha. The climax of the episode is endlessly hilarious and iconic.

I've noticed that a lot of people find this episode to be decent and even boring, and I have to disagree with that. It may be slow at points, but I think "Boating School" is just as strong as every episode in the show thus far. Because of that, as well as its high rewatchability for me, I'm putting this episode in my "Amazing" tier.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score: 9/10

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
Take a (non-alcoholic) shot every time I say some form of 'introduction' in one of these reviews. Can't hate it if it's true! This episode introduces yet another key part of SpongeBob, boating school! And with it, it introduces one of the funniest characters in the show, Mrs. Puff! I talked about this in my "Help Wanted" review, but boating school (and by extension Mrs. Puff) is so important for SpongeBob SquarePants because they're the reasons Nickelodeon allowed the show to be made, because they wanted that school aspect that would (to them) make the show more appealing to younger audiences. And honestly, "school" in SpongeBob being a driving school is one of the most brilliant examples of reluctant compliance I have ever seen, because it actually serves to reinforce that SpongeBob is an adult, not a child.

"Boating School" is a good, solid episode. Like all the episodes so far, it's really, really funny, and the plot is great! SpongeBob riding a unicycle is something that's just so him, and I love that they included that. It also leads to the really wholesome ending of Gary (my love) bringing SpongeBob's unicycle back to him. In between these moments we've got the introduction of a character that can give Squidward a run for his money in terms of pure doneness and freakouts. And let's not even get started on how this was the first use of "My leg!" Who know that would catch on so fantastically?

The plot of this episode also leads to many funny moments, because you already know that SpongeBob trying to cheat won't go well. He's just too good and pure. Patrick plays an excellent supporting role in this episode, and honestly I find him wearing SpongeBob's pants to be really funny haha. The climax of the episode is endlessly hilarious and iconic.

I've noticed that a lot of people find this episode to be decent and even boring, and I have to disagree with that. It may be slow at points, but I think "Boating School" is just as strong as every episode in the show thus far. Because of that, as well as its high rewatchability for me, I'm putting this episode in my "Amazing" tier.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score: 9/10
patrick was super wholesome in this episode

Squidwardiard

Frozen Cephalopod
This episode shows a side of Patrick we don't see too often. He seemed a bit smarter at times in season 1. Like when he gives Spongebob advice such as in Help Wanted, Tea at the Treedome, and this episode. It seemed like Patrick was possibly intended at first to be the one who guides Spongebob at times through advice & pep talks. Patrick actually guides Spongebob through his entire test very well! I feel like Patrick in the rest of the seasons couldn't do this, but he has been shown to be a good driver later in the series. Funny how they both don't realize what they're doing is cheating! The iconic driving obstacle course is also awesome! It has different obstacles like a ring of fire! It's fun to watch the story of this episode play out. This is the first boating school episode too!

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
This episode shows a side of Patrick we don't see too often. He seemed a bit smarter at times in season 1. Like when he gives Spongebob advice such as in Help Wanted, Tea at the Treedome, and this episode. It seemed like Patrick was possibly intended at first to be the one who guides Spongebob at times through advice & pep talks.
That's actually a very interesting point about the role of Patrick in season 1. I feel like Patrick still does both of these things, give SpongeBob pep talks and guide him, but it definitely felt different in season 1, probably because like you said, Patrick actually had some smarts about him. I think that even in newer episodes, Patrick does try to guide SpongeBob at times, but there's not the same kind of at least somewhat logical reasoning behind it. Maybe it's because the show has moved past the toned-down vibe of season 1?

Squidwardiard

Frozen Cephalopod
That's actually a very interesting point about the role of Patrick in season 1. I feel like Patrick still does both of these things, give SpongeBob pep talks and guide him, but it definitely felt different in season 1, probably because like you said, Patrick actually had some smarts about him. I think that even in newer episodes, Patrick does try to guide SpongeBob at times, but there's not the same kind of at least somewhat logical reasoning behind it. Maybe it's because the show has moved past the toned-down vibe of season 1?
Good points, I agree. He does still try to guide SpongeBob from time to time. It's probably different because of the change in tone and characterization from Season 1 like you said.

Back