03b. Plankton!

spunchbop444

Squidward's Clarinet
9/10

Pretty nice introduction to Plankton. I like how Plankton is way more smarter here than the other episodes he is in. The only exception is Fear of a Krabby Patty. In both episodes, he all sticks to the plan and gets to it fully. He also gets closer than other episodes. Of course, at the end, he gets stupid again. I do think the ending was a little weak, but the rest of the episode made up for it. Overall, pretty nice episode

Ripped Pants: (10/10)
Tea at the TreeDome: (10/10)
Help Wanted: (9.5/10)
Plankton!: (9/10)
Bubblestand: (8.5/10)
Reef Blower: (7.5/10)
Jellyfishing: (1.5/10)

Snails

Floating Shopping List
This episode is amazing, it's funny, entertaining and a great introduction to a great character.

#7. Tea At The Treedome (D)
#6. Jellyfishing (
C)
#5. Ripped Pants (
C)
#4. Reef Blower (
C)
#3. Plankton! (
A)
#2. Bubblestand (
A)
#1. Help Wanted (
A)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
Ahhhh yes Plankton very first appearance! This episode introduces Plankton very well. The jokes were cool and the scene where Plankton's record player plays the Alphabet song was very funny! Also its the first episode that uses my favorite production track which Chill Out. Also "Shut up you mediocre clarinet player" was funny

Rating: Amazing episode

Rankings:
Reef Blower (Amazing!)
Help Wanted (Amazing!)
Plankton! (Amazing!)
Bubblestand (Great)
Jellyfishing (Great)
Ripped Pants (Okay)
Tea at the Treedome (Meh)

CanuckChum

Baby Clam
This episode is a fantastic introduction to Plankton, with lots of great jokes as well. Plankton is just such a great character, and in this episode, he's able to function as both a threatening villain and a source of comedic relief. The record player scene is hilarious, and the whole mind control sequence is perfect, with Plankton's roast of Squidward being the cherry on top. I think that SpongeBob being aware he's controlled but unable to do anything is funnier than if he was just a mindless puppet.

Episode Rating - 9/10

1. Help Wanted (9/10)
2. Plankton! (9/10)
3. Bubblestand (8/10)
4. Ripped Pants (7/10)
5. Tea at the Treedome (7/10)
6. Reef Blower (7/10)
7. Jellyfishing (6/10)

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
my favorite moment is ''shut your mouth you mediocre clarinet player''

great episode, a solid 8/10

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Now this is how you do a character introduction! I mean, every character introduction in SpongeBob at this point has been excellent, but man does "Plankton!" do it with style. Also, before I get started, appreciation post for the title card music (Chill Out) and the track that plays when Plankton first talks to SpongeBob (Haunted Surf). While I do like the surf rock vibe SpongeBob had going on in season 1 (Culture Shock, anyone?), I disagree that the show should've fully kept the vibe. I do love these tracks though. Anyway...

This episode introduces us to the villain we all know and love, Plankton! Rewatching season 1 is so fun because we get to see the origins of all of these iconic parts of SpongeBob. I mean, imagine this show without these Plankton plots. It's just something so integral to the show that it's unimaginable, at least for me. And Plankton plots aren't even my favorite part of the show!

"Plankton!" is a hilarious and atmospheric episode. Atmospheric because it largely takes place at night, giving us some new insights into the environment of Bikini Bottom. And then hilarious because, well, it's just really funny. Every joke in this episode lands and lands hard, and there's something inherently hilarious in Plankton's character design. Being such a grandiose-speaking guy who's smaller than everyone else in the show is just funny. Like many of these season 1 episodes, "Plankton!" has lots of iconic moments, from "I went to college" to "This is my lab, and this is my laboratory". And don't get me started on "shut your mouth you mediocre clarinet player", that scene never fails to get me rolling. The voice acting is just so good! (Sometimes I feel the VAs are underrated, or like there's a lack of acknowledgement of their superior performance. Like we say their voices are perfect, which is true, but we don't talk about the sheer talent these people have in their inflections, screams, emoting, etc.)

One thing about season 1 that I like is the simplicity of some of these episode titles. I mean, just think of the 5 of the last 7 episodes. "Reef Blower", "Bubblestand", "Ripped Pants", "Jellyfishing", and now "Plankton!". Literally they just describe the main part of the plot of the episode. It's so simple yet so good. I mean, I will always adore a punny and clever title, but these are just as good too.

This episode introduces Plankton so well, I think, because it shows us everything we need to know about his character. He's a megalomaniac, he's compensating, he wants the Krabby Patty Secret Formula, he's both menacing and silly, he's an evil genius, and he's dramatic. Very, very impressive for an 11-minute episode. "Plankton!" earns its spot in my Amazing tier because it is funny, doesn't drag, and does an excellent job at introducing our first real villain of the show.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score: 9/10

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
Now this is how you do a character introduction! I mean, every character introduction in SpongeBob at this point has been excellent, but man does "Plankton!" do it with style. Also, before I get started, appreciation post for the title card music (Chill Out) and the track that plays when Plankton first talks to SpongeBob (Haunted Surf). While I do like the surf rock vibe SpongeBob had going on in season 1 (Culture Shock, anyone?), I disagree that the show should've fully kept the vibe. I do love these tracks though. Anyway...

This episode introduces us to the villain we all know and love, Plankton! Rewatching season 1 is so fun because we get to see the origins of all of these iconic parts of SpongeBob. I mean, imagine this show without these Plankton plots. It's just something so integral to the show that it's unimaginable, at least for me. And Plankton plots aren't even my favorite part of the show!

"Plankton!" is a hilarious and atmospheric episode. Atmospheric because it largely takes place at night, giving us some new insights into the environment of Bikini Bottom. And then hilarious because, well, it's just really funny. Every joke in this episode lands and lands hard, and there's something inherently hilarious in Plankton's character design. Being such a grandiose-speaking guy who's smaller than everyone else in the show is just funny. Like many of these season 1 episodes, "Plankton!" has lots of iconic moments, from "I went to college" to "This is my lab, and this is my laboratory". And don't get me started on "shut your mouth you mediocre clarinet player", that scene never fails to get me rolling. The voice acting is just so good! (Sometimes I feel the VAs are underrated, or like there's a lack of acknowledgement of their superior performance. Like we say their voices are perfect, which is true, but we don't talk about the sheer talent these people have in their inflections, screams, emoting, etc.)

One thing about season 1 that I like is the simplicity of some of these episode titles. I mean, just think of the 5 of the last 7 episodes. "Reef Blower", "Bubblestand", "Ripped Pants", "Jellyfishing", and now "Plankton!". Literally they just describe the main part of the plot of the episode. It's so simple yet so good. I mean, I will always adore a punny and clever title, but these are just as good too.

This episode introduces Plankton so well, I think, because it shows us everything we need to know about his character. He's a megalomaniac, he's compensating, he wants the Krabby Patty Secret Formula, he's both menacing and silly, he's an evil genius, and he's dramatic. Very, very impressive for an 11-minute episode. "Plankton!" earns its spot in my Amazing tier because it is funny, doesn't drag, and does an excellent job at introducing our first real villain of the show.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score: 9/10
the ''shut your mouth you mediocre clarinet player'' line is the best part of the episode, it's so funny

Squidwardiard

Frozen Cephalopod
A great introduction to Plankton. The episode shows you what he's like and what he's about. His goal of stealing the formula is first seen here. This episode sets Plankton up as a great villain. The events of the episode are funny and even epic. What's kind of interesting is it seems Plankton actually thinks the Krabby Patty looks tasty and wants to eat one in this episode. Later on in the series, this isn't seen too often, he just wants to steal the formula. There aren't many signs showing that he thinks they look tasty.

spongie33

Sad Squidward Expert
Staff
I think that was a great start to the Plankton stealing the formula running gag. 9/10

Back