01a. Help Wanted

hfjs

It was one of the best season 1 episodes. And not just because it's the pilot. So much nostalgia.

thenoobtester

Imitation Krab
I'm going to try something ambitious. Incredibly ambitious, at least for a kid. I'm going to attempt to review every episode of SB, and make a list from best to worst. I stole some of my inspiration from Pieguyrulz, but I want to try it. Most reviews on here are just "I liked this episode. (character name) was funny. 9/10" or "The episode was good, but I wish it was better. 5/10" without giving much explanation as to why. So I'm going to score each episode on aspects that all shows should have, and add the scores together to find out how good that episode was.

1: Plot. All shows should have a good plot, right? It doesn't matter what it is, as long as the concept is interesting, can set up jokes well, keeps the viewer engaged, and isn't just complete random. Plot will make up for 4 out of the 10 points.

2: Jokes. Jokes make up a big part of SB, and other then plot, are the backbone of the show. Funny jokes, more points. Bad jokes, overused jokes, etc., less points. Jokes are worth 3 out of the 10 points.

3: Characters. Characters are also an essential part of SB, and the final part in which I rate the show. If the characters are generally likeable for the episode, I'll give more points in this category. Annoying/Jerk characters=less points. Characters will count for 3/10 points.

No better time to start then now, so let's start out with Help Wanted.

Plot: Spongebob wants to get a job at the Krusty Krab. The plot is simple, but plays out well with the show, opens up a lot of oppurtunities for jokes, and is interesting the whole way through. Although I wish the plot had fleshed out a little bit more in Spongebob trying and failing, but coming back in later, but that's just my opinion. The spatula part was a bit predictable, but I'll give it the benefit of doubt as I have seen this episode a few times, so it might just be me memorizing it. I'd give it a 3.4/4.

Jokes: The jokes were a bit more subtle then later episodes, but it was nice. The Krabby Patty making sequence was great, and the other visual gags with the anchovies, and the one-liners were all fun. Nothing that gets you cracking up, but putting a smile on your face. I wish they'd go a little faster with the jokes, but it doesn't really make it that much worse. I'd give them overall a 2.3/3.

Characters: The characters are on par of how you think of the characters. Squidward's a grump, Krabs is greedy, Spongebob is loud, but fun, and Patrick is pretty stupid. But it all works well together because that isn't their only character traits. They're more then just that, they have real character. 2.8/3.

Overall: This episode is a great way of showing people what SB should be about, a fun cartoon, nice, not one where everyone has the most messed up morals, and everyone is just annoying/jerk. Added together, the scores give this episode a 8.5/10 rating.

https://docs.google....xvT0MzWVE#gid=0 Link to my Google Doc sorting the episode in order of best to worst. It is updated to the newest episode I have reviewed.

HarryPotterLives

Jaehee is Baehee
I think people have a tendency to overrate this episode because it's the first one. It is good for a pilot, but that's not exactly saying much because pilots are usually clumsy and awkward. I do like Help Wanted, it's amusing and is a nice introduction to the characters, I just don't think it's as good as people make it out to be.

This is wonderful for a pilot but it's just a pilot. It's nothing too special. It deserved one of the 100's in my top 117 s1-6, but that's it.
Episodes just in this season alone are far better.

Sweat

Banished
Help Wanted
Grade: 62%

Characterization: 7/10
Plot: 7/10
Resolution: 7/10
Entertainment: 5/10
Humor: 5/10

Sbmania22t

Part Computer or Something
From the ep when it aired on May 1, 1999

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 4

Sky_Nova_20

Frozen Cephalopod
This episode was good. I liked how SpongeBob got his job at the Krusty Krab and in later episodes he became a skillful fry cook. I find the plot very creative and interesting, along with its animation. Well, I have to say I honestly don't like Mr. Krabs in this episode. He just wants to get rid of SpongeBob, along with Squidward. They think SpongeBob doesn't know what is a hydrodynamic spatula. I also liked Patrick in this episode.

Best Character: SpongeBob.
Worst Characters: Mr. Krabs and Squidward (a bit).
Best Moment: SpongeBob got his job.
Worst Moment: None.
Rating: 10/10.

SecretBox

Bomb-Selling Pirate
As a regular episode it's nothing special, but as a pilot episode it's awesome! 10/10

Overrated episode but It's still a perfect start to one of my favorite shows. While It had It's moments, this episode wasn't very funny but the plot was very entertaining enough to love this episode and It was a great introduction to four main characters, although Patrick wasn't stupid in this episode. It's strange becuase they didn't introduce Patrick as a stupid character in this episode. Patrick's stupidy was shown first in Tea at the Treedome. That's my only nit-pick about this episode. Like I said, this episode had some funny moments but the funniest ones are Mr. Krabs saying "I want my mommy, Mr. Squidward" and the ending. It's not one of my favorite SpongeBob episodes but It's still a great episode and I recommend it. 10/10

EVSPONGEFAN

Balloon Traveler
This episode is a classic and is great! It is the first episode, so I don't expect it to be the best one ever made, but it is the start of something we ALL love!

Bl4zeTMG

Four Twenny Blaze
Episode 1a - HELP WANTED

10 - Perfect
9 - Awesome
8 - Great
7 - Good
6 - OK
5 - Mediocre
4 - Poor
3 - Bad
2 - Terrible
1 - Disaster

My rating: 8/10 - Great

Sure, it's not the funniest of episodes, but for being a pilot, they did a really good job and kept it nice and simple.

Back