43b. The Bully

Decent episode. I think it could have been better, but for what it is, it's pretty good. I like how SpongeBob's obliviousness affects him throughout the episode, and the "old man" gag was really funny

Ranking so far:
1. Just One Bite (A)
2. The Bully (B)
3. The Algae's Always Greener (B)
4. My Pretty Seahorse (C)
5. Club SpongeBob (C)
6. SpongeGuard on Duty (C)

Captain Stupid

Moby Dollar
Not a fan of this episode. I felt bad for SpongeBob. At least Flats got what he deserved. Funny how SpongeBob flat out ignored Flats for about 24 hours straight near the end.
Either way, 5/10. Only because of the montage where Flats fails to harm SpongeBob.
Not a fan of this episode. I felt bad for SpongeBob. At least Flats got what he deserved. Funny how SpongeBob flat out ignored Flats for about 24 hours straight near the end.
Either way, 5/10. Only because of the montage where Flats fails to harm SpongeBob.

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
This one was good, but I find it so weird how oblivious Mrs. Puff was in this. Other than that, though, this was a fairly entertaining episode with some good jokes and a decent plot. There was some strange moments, and the ending was a bit lame, but it's still a pretty good one.

Good episode (7/10)

1. The Algae's Always Greener (9)
2. Just One Bite (9)
3. My Pretty Seahorse (7)
4. The Bully (7)
5. Spongeguard on Duty (6)
6. Club Spongebob (6)

Combusto82

Does this look unsure to you?
8/10

i like the phone conversation between Spongebob and Patrick but poor Spongebob freaked out that Flats was Patrick's college friend! pretty odd?

spunchbop444

Squidward's Clarinet
Plot: (8.5/10): This episode has a really good premise of a school bully. Most people might not like it due to it's way of torturing SpongeBob, but I disagree. SpongeBob was kind of taking Flats as a joke in the beginning and didn't believe him until Flats literally ripped and shaved his body hair to spell out "I MEAN IT". But there is still one thing I don't really like about this episode is that Mrs. Puff is kind of stupid in this episode. I mean, how the frick would you be stupid enough to believe that "I'm gonna kick your butt" was from another side of town, and how it means that he wants to play with you.

Humor: (5/5): Even if the plot is a tiny bit flawed, this episode is still pretty funny. Most people didn't really like when Patrick revealed that Flats was his friend in community college, but I do find it funny myself. I also find it funny when it was revealed that Flats couldn't beat SpongeBob up because of the spongey material that SpongeBob was made up of. I also find it funny that the bikini bottomites thought that the old man was going to beat SpongeBob up.

Visuals: (9.5/10): It looks the same as regular pre-movie episodes. Not much to say.

Episode score: 205 points.

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
OLD REVIEW NEW ONE BELOW

Man, this episode is just SpongeBob torture turned sideways i hated Flats! He probably never was taught that it wasnt okay to threaten someone they he would kick their butt this episode is high NO

Final Rating: 2/10 Bad Episode

Last edited:

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
Man, this episode is just SpongeBob torture turned upside-down i hated Flats! He probably never was taught that it wasnt okay to threaten someone they he would kick their butt this episode is high NO. The ending was also absolutely terrible!

Rating: Bad Episode

Rankings:
The Algaes Always Greener (Amazing!)
Just One Bite (Amazing!)
My Pretty Seahorse (Delightful)
SpongeGuard on Duty (Okay)
Club SpongeBob (Meh)
The Bully (Bad)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
So remember how I've stated multiple times that I don't like to feel frustrated when watching an episode? Yeah, we're here with "The Bully", a very frustrating episode! And I happened to rewatch it about a week ago, so these opinions are as fresh as they can be!

This episode starts off very well. I like the visual jokes, such as the masks the students wear, or how Flats first walks into the classroom. I even like the absurdity of his first words to SpongeBob being that he's going to kick his butt. I'm torn between wishing we were given a reason for Flats butt-kicking tendencies, and loving how hilariously stupid it is for Flats to just want to kick people's butts randomly. But that's neither here nor there. SpongeBob's "can I be excused for the rest of my life" line and Mrs. Puffs "coffee-fueled sermon" line are real highlights of the episode, or at least this first section. SpongeBob running to the bathroom and thinking, and then that live action sponge visual are all funny moments, and it makes this first part of this episode rather enjoyable. When Flats shows up, reiterates that he'll kick SpongeBob's butt, and SpongeBob flushes himself in defeat, I actually laugh, so that's a good sign. Really, I'm loving this episode even through the bit with Patrick, which is probably the funniest part of the episode for me, other than a couple other moments which we'll get to. Seriously, the Patrick bit is great, because it does my favorite thing ever which is reiterate that these are grown adults with Patrick's comment about Flats being his "old community college buddy". SpongeBob's face in that moment is hilarious, and by this point I'm definitely laughing.

However, this is then when the episode switches from hilarious to annoying in about 30 seconds. SpongeBob trying to talk to Mrs. Puff goes well enough at first, with Mrs. Puff being receptive and willing to help SpongeBob with this issue. However, once she does the worst thing possible by giving Flats both SpongeBob's name and the benefit of the doubt, my annoyance skyrockets as I realize where this episode is heading. Or at least, I thought I knew where this episode was heading, but let's just say it manages to surprise me in the end. We'll get to that.

The episode returns to being rather enjoyable as SpongeBob runs into Flats' dad in what is one of the funniest moments of "The Bully", especially with the whole "now he's gonna kick my butt!" And then we get the classic "out of my way can't you see he's gonna kick my butt?!" which has been memed to hell and back, but I don't care, it's absolutely hilarious, especially once it comes up a second time. We get a bit of beautiful catharsis when Flats slips on the banana peel, and honestly I love how unhinged this man is in that he's still gonna kick SpongeBob's butt after almost dying.

When SpongeBob gets home, we get more hilarity with Gary being the GOAT with his camera, and SpongeBob realizing that Flats can't hurt him. Flats' determination is commendable, I suppose, with him trying to kick SpongeBob's butt throughout day and night, work and free time. And of course we feel satisfied seeing Flats pass out from exhaustion. SpongeBob's little philosophical moment is fun too, I didn't realize this was a common thing he's done, like he did the exact same thing in "Frankendoodle". So, the episode ends on a really nice note!

Except. Except this isn't the end of the episode because we get the worst freaking ending ever, which only serves to piss me off and make this episode fall at least one, if not two tiers. Mrs. Puff walks in and assumes SpongeBob hit Flats, which is not only the worst assumption possible given that SpongeBob 1) told Mrs. Puff that Flats was trying to fight him, and 2) it's freaking SpongeBob, who is built like a twig, against Flats, a huge fish. And then we get the ending line, which is just insulting and insanely frustrating because of Mrs. Puff's supposed no butt-kicking policy. I understand what the writers were trying to do here, it was irony, it was supposed to be a little frustrating, but I think a "little" frustrating completely misses the mark, and it's not funny. It just ends the episode on a very sour note, and is single-handedly the reason why this episode is in my "Good" tier and not my "Great" or even "Amazing".

Episode Tier: Good
Episode Score: 7.8/10

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
Except. Except this isn't the end of the episode because we get the worst freaking ending ever, which only serves to piss me off and make this episode fall at least one, if not two tiers. Mrs. Puff walks in and assumes SpongeBob hit Flats, which is not only the worst assumption possible given that SpongeBob 1) told Mrs. Puff that Flats was trying to fight him, and 2) it's freaking SpongeBob, who is built like a twig, against Flats, a huge fish. And then we get the ending line, which is just insulting and insanely frustrating because of Mrs. Puff's supposed no butt-kicking policy. I understand what the writers were trying to do here, it was irony, it was supposed to be a little frustrating, but I think a "little" frustrating completely misses the mark, and it's not funny. It just ends the episode on a very sour note, and is single-handedly the reason why this episode is in my "Good" tier and not my "Great" or even "Amazing".

Episode Tier: Good
Episode Score: 7.8/10
yeah i hate when shows create conflict from moments that can be fixed with the characters saying ''i didn't do it''

TheAlphaSponge

Yandere
Good episode, but In surprised it doesn't get Great Snail Race's here given its depiction of bullying, the old man being up, and the ending.
I agree, it was a good episode. The absence of Great Snail Race's recognition surprises me too, especially considering its portrayal of bullying, the old man's mistreatment, and the ending. It's important to acknowledge such themes and their impact.

TheAlphaSponge

Yandere
yeah i hate when shows create conflict from moments that can be fixed with the characters saying ''i didn't do it''
I totally agree! It's frustrating when shows rely on unnecessary conflict instead of simple communication. If the characters just spoke up and clarified things, so many issues could be resolved. It would save us all from unnecessary drama and keep the story more realistic.

Back