List of Things I Noticed Are Different Between Old And New Seasons

Grass-Skirt-Chase

Call me Këlp0
This list is designed to be different from other “old spongebob is better than new spongebob” lists. It will focus more on smaller aspects and tiny details that I’ve noticed as an avid watcher and obsessed fan of SpongeBob SquarePants. I will update this list regularly:

• SpongeBob’s scream: SpongeBob had a very distinct scream in earlier seasons, notably season 1 (e.g., Jellyfish Jam). It sounded like it was produced from the back of the throat, and I’ve heard it been described as “girly”. Nowadays his scream is very average. Average and loud. It definitely lacks the uniqueness of those early SpongeBob screams. I heard that apparently Tom Kenny is unable to scream like that anymore, simply because after a while, certain things become harder for him to do with his voice.
  • SpongeBob’s legs: I noticed that SpongeBob’s legs are MUCH thinner in the earlier seasons. His legs resemble toothpicks, but later than gain some girth.
12A486C1-101C-46B7-8048-EBB0160672E6.jpeg
  • SpongeBob’s eyebrows: SpongeBob has a serious case of the eyebrows in earlier seasons. Usually it’s very subtle and easy to miss, but he occasionally possesses two black brows.
E771EC5D-F3FB-4095-A9F1-14A69CFEA1F3.jpeg

Last edited:

EM.

Moby Dollar
Patrick imo is slowly becoming brain dead. I still find him semi-funny but it is something I’ve noticed
Tbh I've never had a problem with Patrick's intelligence in later seasons, but I absolutely hate how he's become a bit mean starting in seasons 6-7, even though he isn't really mean anymore, I can't help but feel like he is, like how Mr. Krabs only cares about money and nothing else, even after that era. As for for Patrick's comedy, it just feels like they're trying too hard with him rather than an "oh I meant to do that" Patrick is just hard to like and laugh at nowadays

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
Yeah, and they also had more realistic sounds, like if someone puts their hand on the table.

Which is why I think the animation and sound effects do a better job at delevering the comedy in pre-movie episodes. The sloppy animation, the lack of constant background music, and more realistic sound effects, add human nature to the show.

Yoh Manta

Moby Dollar
Surprised I'm the first to say this one, less facial expression comedy or in some cases, "comedy", in the early episodes.

EM.

Moby Dollar
Also, Spongebob's voice changed after season 3, and then slightly changed in I believe around season 9.

EM.

Moby Dollar
I've noticed a shift into mean-spirited territory in the later post-movie seasons

Also, the characters are hard to like or identify with these days!
Ikr, especially Mr Krabs, all that has made Plankton, the villain of the show the most likable because he’s experienced the least if not no flanderization.

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
The characters in pre-movie episodes talk faster and the dialogue is more realistic. In modern episodes, they talk slow, and the dialogue sounds more forced. Older episodes tend to have less weird visual gags, and are more down to earth and realistic. The style of humor in pre-movie is also different, episodes tend to have comedic pauses between witty lines of dialogue. Not only are season 2-3 more organic looking than season 4 onward. The frame rate in season 2-3 is lower than post-movie and post-sequel

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
Season 1 is not included in this example, because the cel animation is a no brainier in why it looks different. Season 2-3 have wobbly and faded lines, while season 4 onward have thick sleek and straight outlines.

EM.

Moby Dollar
Season 1 is not included in this example, because the cel animation is a no brainier in why it looks different. Season 2-3 have wobbly and faded lines, while season 4 onward have thick sleek and straight outlines.
Also season 2 and 3 have more bounciness in the animation if you know what I mean, like if a character moves they kind of bounce back, from season 5 on it's gotten less fluid over the course of the run but the bounciness makes the animation look very fluid imo, especially in season 2.

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
Also season 2 and 3 have more bounciness in the animation if you know what I mean, like if a character moves they kind of bounce back, from season 5 on it's gotten less fluid over the course of the run but the bounciness makes the animation look very fluid imo, especially in season 2.

I wouldn't say bouncy, but season 2-3 have more organic movement than Season 5 onwards

Back