09a. Nature Pants

It's not terrible, this episode is at least a LITTLE overhated, but it's far from great. It's not as bad as Squeaky Boots, but it's pretty mediocre.

Ranking so far:
1. Pickles (A+)
2. Pizza Delivery (A+)
3. Plankton! (A)
4. Naughty Nautical Neighbors (A)
5. Sandy's Rocket (A)
6. Help Wanted (A)
7. Boating School (B)
8. Bubblestand (B)
9. Home Sweet Pineapple (B)
10. Hall Monitor (B)
11. Jellyfishing (B)
12. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy (C)
13. Jellyfish Jam (C)
14. Tea at the Treedome (C)
15. Ripped Pants (C)
16. Reef Blower (C)
17. Nature Pants (C)
18. Squeaky Boots (D)

Rex

Floating Shopping List
Hot TakeI personally love this episode top 75 IMO. It's one of the best looking season 1 episodes and I also like episodes that have a more interesting story and it shows up in that aspect, in my season 1 = 3 ranking I put it #79 but I now moved it up to #61. Patrick makes the episode and it's meme nature (no pun intended) is something I like a lot, Its also a nice building block for Spongebob's character I know his obsession with Jellyfish never went this far again but I like how they have him learn something at the end like with Ripped Pants and Musclebob Buffpants where he wants something or to do something but learns the hard way either by pain (Nature Pants) humiliation (Musclebob Buffpants) or hatred (Ripped Pants) that its not what he wants to be or wants to do

Current Ranking in Season 1 #22 Under Sandy's Rocket but above Karate Choppers

Call me crazy for liking this more than episodes like Texas, Sleepy Time, Karate Choppers and Opposite Day. but that's how I roll

Last edited:

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
This is the textbook definition of a forgettable episode. I honestly forgot this episode even existed up until about a year ago, and it's not really hard to see why. The plot had potential, but it was ultimately wasted because most of it is just Spongebob running around and not accomplishing anything. There are also few jokes, but the ones that are there are still pretty funny. I don't think this episode is downright bad, I just think it's... boring. Like they could've done more with this episode but as it stands it just feels pretty lackluster.

Meh episode (5/10)

1. Pizza Delivery (10)
2. Plankton! (9)
3. Help Wanted (9)
4. Naughty Nautical Neighbors (8)
5. Pickles (8)
6. Sandy's Rocket (8)
7. Hall Monitor (8)
8. Ripped Pants (8)
9. Jellyfish Jam (7)
10. Tea at the Treedome (7)
11. Home Sweet Pineapple (7)
12. Boating School (7)
13. Bubblestand (7)
14. Mermaidman and Barnacleboy (7)
15. Reef Blower (6)
16. Squeaky Boots (6)
17. Nature Pants (5)
18. Jellyfishing (5)

spunchbop444

Squidward's Clarinet
4.5/10

The first half of the episode was both boring and a tad funny, and the second half is just plain creepy, except for the end. Patrick was an absolute creep here, and I mean that. He literally threatens to keep SpongeBob as a trophy. Plus, the plot could've been nice if it had more focus on SpongeBob. Although, this used to be one of my favorites, so I'll give it credit for that.

Naughty Nautical Neighbors: (10/10)
Ripped Pants: (10/10)
Tea at the Tree-Dome: (10/10)
Help Wanted: (9.5/10)
Pizza Delivery: (9/10)
Plankton!: (9/10)
Boating School: (8.5/10)
Bubblestand: (8.5/10)
Reef Blower: (7.5/10)
Pickles: (7/10)
Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy I: (6.5/10)
Home Sweet Pineapple: (6.5/10)
Nature Pants: (4.5/10)
Sandy's Rocket: (4.5/10)
Hall Monitor: (4/10)
Squeaky Boots: (3.5/10)
Jellyfishing: (1.5/10)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
Nothing about this episode was funny. Its the textbook definition of a boring and forgettable episode that has no jokes at all! This is my least favorite episode of season 1 as well as my 2nd least favorite pre-movie episode after Krabby Land.

Rating: Terrible Episode

Rankings:
Pizza Delivery (Amazing!)
Reef Blower (Amazing!)
Help Wanted (Amazing!)
Pickles (Amazing!)
Plankton! (Amazing!)
Naughty Nautical Neighbors (Amazing!)
Squeaky Boots (Great)
Bubblestand (Great)
Jellyfishing (Great)
MMABB (Great)
Ripped Pants (Okay)
Boating School (Okay)
Hall Monitor (Okay)
Tea at the Treedome (Meh)
Jellyfish Jam (Meh)
Sandy's Rocket (Meh)
Home Sweet Pineapple (Bad)
Nature Pants (Terrible)

DannyWapbang

Sponge of Mystery
POISON SEA URCHINS!!

That scene reminds me of the "I shouldn't be itching like this" scene in the SGC2C "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" episode.

I can see why people hate it though.

Also, Sponge naked is kinda cute. He looks like an actual sponge. That's just my opinion, though.

Vemsa

Imitation Krab
i like to call this episode the predecessor to Night Light; both episodes have rushed beginnings that throw you straight into the plot without any context or buildup. also like Night Light, this episode has the main plot idea of "spongebob does this one thing and lives or does things a certain way for the rest of the episode," which feels incredibly forced and pointless because of the beginning.

the rest of the plot does not have any substance either. i laughed at the "11 minutes" joke until i realized its an implication that the episode itself is aware that it is wasting the viewer's time. this episode is really uninspired, especially when compared to the rest of season 1, which was a time of heavy experimentation for the writers.

rating: bad

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
i like to call this episode the predecessor to Night Light; both episodes have rushed beginnings that throw you straight into the plot without any context or buildup. also like Night Light, this episode has the main plot idea of "spongebob does this one thing and lives or does things a certain way for the rest of the episode," which feels incredibly forced and pointless because of the beginning.

the rest of the plot does not have any substance either. i laughed at the "11 minutes" joke until i realized its an implication that the episode itself is aware that it is wasting the viewer's time. this episode is really uninspired, especially when compared to the rest of season 1, which was a time of heavy experimentation for the writers.

rating: bad
season 1 had a bunch of slow/dull episodes

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Ah, my least favorite season 1 episode, we meet at last. Yeah, didn't feel like leaving you all in suspense, I'm just gonna say it straight up. I don't dislike this episode, but it's definitely not for me. So let's talk about it!

Let me start with the good here, because there's plenty of it. There's lots of funny moments in this episode. I've said before that the beginning of this episode has one of my favorite jokes in the whole show, SpongeBob throwing the fire extinguisher at the fire. That entire scene was peak comedy honestly. And there's some good moments after that too. Like Patrick chasing SpongeBob had some really funny parts to it, and I loved the whole Sandy and Patrick acting scene, especially once Patrick starts getting hysterical. The ending of the episode is a good stinger too. This episode spawned a couple good memes (savage Patrick, tired SpongeBob) back-to-back a few years ago, memes I still enjoy to this day. I just think it's funny that this episode not only spawned 2 memes, but the scene with the fire extinguisher also makes the rounds on Twitter every few months, and yet this episode is often forgotten about, or isn't very highly rated.

Now, the bad. My perception of "bad" in this episode is definitely super subjective, so I'm sure that there's plenty of people who like the parts I did not. For me, this episode drags immensely during its middle segment, and the chase between Patrick and SpongeBob unfortunately grows stale at some key moments. Even worse, when SpongeBob hides in the jellyfish nest, the episode just outright bores me all the way up until SpongeBob finally returns home. His lamenting walk is good, but at this point I'm already bored so the somber atmosphere doesn't really reinvigorate me. At least the hug between everybody is heartwarming. But this episode feels much longer than it actually is, which can either be a good thing or a bad thing. Considering what I've already said, I'm sure it's obvious that I consider this to be a bad thing for "Nature Pants" specifically.

I also just think this is such an...odd concept for an episode. It's very early in SpongeBob SquarePants still, so I'll cut everyone some slack, but this episode just feels out of character. Sure, we know SpongeBob likes to jellyfish, but we've seen next to nothing of his love of nature up to this point in the series. And yes, SpongeBob is episodic, but I feel like this episode would've been helped by us knowing that SpongeBob likes nature enough to abandon his whole life in Bikini Bottom for it. I will say, though, that this episode's existence helps future episodes like The Sponge Who Could Fly, so this context works both ways.

You know, now that I'm thinking about it (and this has nothing to do with my actual review), this episode feels like a response to a certain book that came out a few years prior (a book I was forced to read in high school)...I wonder if this was intentional? Kids, don't go try to live in the wild. It's a bad idea (not to mention supports imperialism).

Anyway, this episode is, to me, this show's first dud. And that's okay! Every show has duds. Because it's a dud that I feel so ambivalent towards, and avoid rewatching, this episode also marks the first to be put in my "Okay" tier, just barely missing the mark for "Good". This isn't a bad episode, but there's just too many problems with it for me to enjoy watching it all that much. I usually watch the first scene and then skip the rest, which isn't a great sign.

Episode Tier: Okay
Episode Score:
6.9/10

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
Ah, my least favorite season 1 episode, we meet at last. Yeah, didn't feel like leaving you all in suspense, I'm just gonna say it straight up. I don't dislike this episode, but it's definitely not for me. So let's talk about it!

Let me start with the good here, because there's plenty of it. There's lots of funny moments in this episode. I've said before that the beginning of this episode has one of my favorite jokes in the whole show, SpongeBob throwing the fire extinguisher at the fire. That entire scene was peak comedy honestly. And there's some good moments after that too. Like Patrick chasing SpongeBob had some really funny parts to it, and I loved the whole Sandy and Patrick acting scene, especially once Patrick starts getting hysterical. The ending of the episode is a good stinger too. This episode spawned a couple good memes (savage Patrick, tired SpongeBob) back-to-back a few years ago, memes I still enjoy to this day. I just think it's funny that this episode not only spawned 2 memes, but the scene with the fire extinguisher also makes the rounds on Twitter every few months, and yet this episode is often forgotten about, or isn't very highly rated.

Now, the bad. My perception of "bad" in this episode is definitely super subjective, so I'm sure that there's plenty of people who like the parts I did not. For me, this episode drags immensely during its middle segment, and the chase between Patrick and SpongeBob unfortunately grows stale at some key moments. Even worse, when SpongeBob hides in the jellyfish nest, the episode just outright bores me all the way up until SpongeBob finally returns home. His lamenting walk is good, but at this point I'm already bored so the somber atmosphere doesn't really reinvigorate me. At least the hug between everybody is heartwarming. But this episode feels much longer than it actually is, which can either be a good thing or a bad thing. Considering what I've already said, I'm sure it's obvious that I consider this to be a bad thing for "Nature Pants" specifically.

I also just think this is such an...odd concept for an episode. It's very early in SpongeBob SquarePants still, so I'll cut everyone some slack, but this episode just feels out of character. Sure, we know SpongeBob likes to jellyfish, but we've seen next to nothing of his love of nature up to this point in the series. And yes, SpongeBob is episodic, but I feel like this episode would've been helped by us knowing that SpongeBob likes nature enough to abandon his whole life in Bikini Bottom for it. I will say, though, that this episode's existence helps future episodes like The Sponge Who Could Fly, so this context works both ways.

You know, now that I'm thinking about it (and this has nothing to do with my actual review), this episode feels like a response to a certain book that came out a few years prior (a book I was forced to read in high school)...I wonder if this was intentional? Kids, don't go try to live in the wild. It's a bad idea (not to mention supports imperialism).

Anyway, this episode is, to me, this show's first dud. And that's okay! Every show has duds. Because it's a dud that I feel so ambivalent towards, and avoid rewatching, this episode also marks the first to be put in my "Okay" tier, just barely missing the mark for "Good". This isn't a bad episode, but there's just too many problems with it for me to enjoy watching it all that much. I usually watch the first scene and then skip the rest, which isn't a great sign.

Episode Tier: Okay
Episode Score: 6.9/10
i think the episode's ending was very wholesome. patrick reading the script was really funny

Yummylesecond

DOWNTOWN PUBLIC LIBRARY
I don't get why people think this episode is terrible from what I remember watching this episode it was pretty funny
I might try watching it again to see if it's that bad

Aesop

#1 Riku enjoyer
A pretty decent episode. All of the jokes get a chuckle or smile out of me. Funnily enough my least favorite scenes are when Spongebob tries to fit in with the jellyfish or most of the nature scenes where he's alone mainly because they're kind of slow.

Back