New theory about Squidward (and the show itself!)

Sara SquarePants

Lover of Spongie
When I watched "Christmas Who?" I started to formulate a theory regarding Squidward and the show as a whole

Squidward Tentacles is based off of Ebenezer Scrooge and "A Christmas Carol" was one of the main inspirations for the series

I began to notice just how much Squidward & Scrooge have in common:

-They are curmudgeons with a heart of gold
-They are loners
-They are afraid of ghosts
-They both have other characters try to cheer them up (Tiny Tim for Ebenezer Scrooge, SpongeBob Patrick and Sandy for Squidward)
-They just desire to be happy

I am willing to bet Stephen Hillenburg did take influence from Charles Dickens' classic story

Also, SpongeBob is basically Tiny Tim who tries to cheer up Scrooge...uh I mean Squidward!

Mr. Krabs is basically Bob Cratchett since they're both bosses who treat their employees like slaves

What do you think?

Am I onto something here?

And if my theory is correct, then how come SpongeBob SquarePants (the show) hasn't adapted "A Christmas Carol" yet?

spongedude

Wumbologist
Staff
Mr. Krabs is certainly more of a miser (like Scrooge was) than Squidward. But Squidward has lost his "hopes and dreams" (as Scrooge did) unlike Mr. Krabs, who has a family and lots of money.

Between the two of them, I'd think Mr. Krabs would be more deserving of a haunting by three ghosts.

Yoh Manta

Moby Dollar
I do like this, though ever since I was a kid, I've always kind of looked at Squidward and Spongebob as Bert and Ernie from Sesame Street.

Back