Reddit uncovered a thread from 1999 about people basically just saying Spongebob is trash.

FutureSponge

Imitation Krab
I've always wanted to see what people's reactions were of the show when it first aired. Cool find!

Yoh Manta

Moby Dollar
The fickle nature of people is truly fascinating. This is why vocal minorities (or in some cases, "vocal minorities") on the internet are often ignored.

Bianca

Dreamlover
Wow, they were dead wrong about the show! I'm surprised. :fred:

SploderEnigma

Floating Shopping List
I like reading the IMDb reviews constantly changing their minds.
1999-2001- This is garbage!
2002-2005- This is brilliant!
2006-2008- This used to be brilliant, but I grew up, therefore it’s garbage now!
"But I hate the new ones. They're getting worse and worse every time and I wish they'll take this show off the air. Not only did it show a homosexuality theme once or twice (i.e: When Patrick and Spongebob raised the clam) but it showed something I'll never forget...pantie raiding. What children's cartoon goes around and raids underwear drawers? WHO, I ASK?! No one except Spongebob. It was a terrible scene and I stopped watching the show right then. And then, there was the episode where Spongebob and whats-his-face were cursing and it wasn't revealed. I wouldn't care if it was. It's sending the wrong message to kids and that's why I am forced to rate Spongebob THE worst show for kids on television. "

SpongeBobfan1987

"I'm so spice!"
"But I hate the new ones. They're getting worse and worse every time and I wish they'll take this show off the air. Not only did it show a homosexuality theme once or twice (i.e: When Patrick and Spongebob raised the clam) but it showed something I'll never forget...pantie raiding. What children's cartoon goes around and raids underwear drawers? WHO, I ASK?! No one except Spongebob. It was a terrible scene and I stopped watching the show right then. And then, there was the episode where Spongebob and whats-his-face were cursing and it wasn't revealed. I wouldn't care if it was. It's sending the wrong message to kids and that's why I am forced to rate Spongebob THE worst show for kids on television. "
The hatred toward SpongeBob only gets worse on sites like "Common Sense Media" where some parents say they would not let their kids watch it for all those reasons and more...

NerdyKairi

Kairi is Back
Well, I'm not surprised to this. But it's just a show,

Like I going to say this: You didrn't like it? Just stop watching, you already gave your opinion, unless you're going to revisit it.

KalloFox34

Floating Shopping List
I've noticed that Bob's Burgers and Family Guy were also treated poorly when they first came out.

People hated Bob's Burgers, and Family Guy got cancelled twice (first in 2000, then 2002) because nobody was watching it. People trashed it because they though it was The Simpsons with more tasteless humor.

But what's really funny in SpongeBob's case is that Bill Fagerbakke said something about the show being "inane pulp for preschoolers" when being hired.

coft

happy hopping moron

Ok, so I get the person being offended by the pantie raid but the homosexuality? It’s like 2002. Sure, people weren’t as welcoming as they are now, but still,

masterfulo46

Imitation Krab
This is a pretty common thing from when a new show movie, or even music album is released. Like Green Day's album Warning is a good example of this as it was hated by critics and even fans when it was first released but has gained popularity over the years among fans.

DannyWapbang

Sponge of Mystery
Ok, so I get the person being offended by the pantie raid but the homosexuality? It’s like 2002. Sure, people weren’t as welcoming as they are now, but still,
I was born in 2002. My parents don't approve of being gay. They will still help gay people but they think God doesn't allow it. Now, Yuuki's parents on the other hand approve of her being bi, which is a good thing. I wish my parents were like Yuuki's. (That's because I made up Yuuki and her lore - she's my shadow self.)

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
1602156102660.png

"Hopefully it's only a matter of time before the newbies in the writing department tune into the classic humor that was in the older Spongebob episodes. =)"

if only he knew...

DannyWapbang

Sponge of Mystery
Also, I heard this was even going in 1996, with stuff like "What happened to Pete & Pete?" Nickelodeon's shows were always good, I guess. EXCEPT Fanboy & Chum Chum and Breadwinners, and Planet Sheen.

Now CN, yes that channel has become garbage aimed at younger kids. TTG has bad morals, PPG is too modern, only Craig of the Creek and We Bare Bears are good (according to my friend/shadow self Yuuki, who likes the former) and I don't even know what Apple & Onion is, let alone if it's any good. It's kinda ironic I prefer CN over Nick (from a back in the day standpoint) now, because look at how they massacred my boy.

Back