What Do You Consider "The Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy Series"?

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
What is your version of the series of MM&BB? Do you consider every reference to them as a part of it (like Have You Seen This Snail) or do you not include episodes that don't feature them in a major role (like MM&BB III and IV)? Night Light?? Post you're opinions/list below, if you're wondering, here's mine:
  1. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy I
  2. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy II
  3. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy III
  4. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy IV
  5. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V
  6. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture
  7. Mermaid Man vs. SpongeBob
  8. Ditchin'
  9. Shuffle-Boarding
  10. Back To The Past
  11. The Bad Guy Club For Villains
  12. Mermaid Man Begins
  13. Super Evil Aquatic Villain Team Up Is Go!
  14. Patrick-Man!
  15. Mermaid Pants
  16. Man Ray Returns
I do not count The Card or Night Light as true Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy Episodes. Feel free to copy and paste my list if you want to edit or use it.

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
Obviously the first 6. I consider MM v. SpongeBob as a part of it. I do not consider Ditchin' to be part of the series, given how little of a role they have in the episode (It starts off with them as a key element in the episode, but about halfway through the episode, the conflict diverts from them, and focuses on the consequences SpongeBob faces as he continues to ditch school. Shuffle-Boarding, Back to the Past, Bad Guy Club For Villains, and Mermaid Man Begins I all include in the series. SEAVTUIAG! focuses more on Man Ray and Plankton. Yes, MM&BB have a role in the episode, but they're not really the main focus, so I don't consider it to be a part of the series. Same thing goes for Patrick-Man! & Man Ray Returns. MermaidPants doesn't even have the dynamic duo in it, they're just referenced.

MM Begins is really the proper finale to the series, giving full circle to our heroes' story, finally revealing their origins.

EmployeeAMillion

Season 12 Time!
I consider 1-6 are to be Classic series, the other episodes that focus on them (MM V SB, SF-BD, BttP, BGCfV, MM B, and finally, NT) to be the New series, and the Mermaid Pants episodes to be, well, just that, a sequel series starring “”the new generation of heroes””. Season 5-9 episodes that feature them but don’t star them like Night Light are downright supplementary material.

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
McSponge said:
Obviously the first 6. I consider MM v. SpongeBob as a part of it. I do not consider Ditchin' to be part of the series, given how little of a role they have in the episode (It starts off with them as a key element in the episode, but about halfway through the episode, the conflict diverts from them, and focuses on the consequences SpongeBob faces as he continues to ditch school. Shuffle-Boarding, Back to the Past, Bad Guy Club For Villains, and Mermaid Man Begins I all include in the series. SEAVTUIAG! focuses more on Man Ray and Plankton. Yes, MM&BB have a role in the episode, but they're not really the main focus, so I don't consider it to be a part of the series. Same thing goes for Patrick-Man! & Man Ray Returns. MermaidPants doesn't even have the dynamic duo in it, they're just referenced.

MM Begins is really the proper finale to the series, giving full circle to our heroes' story, finally revealing their origins.
@McSponge Wait but under that logic, wouldn't MM&BB III not be part of the series because it doesn't really feature them and is more Man Ray oriented?

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
For me, I'd say any episode that's about Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy or episodes heavily pertaining to something MM&BB-related are a part of the series are MM&BB episodes. That being said, I don't count Night Light, The Card, or Ditchin' as MM&BB episodes. I was initially split on Patrick-Man!, because on one hand, MM&BB appear at the beginning and inspired Patrick to become a superhero and he even battled the Dirty Bubble at the end. But then again, aside from that, the rest of the episode outside of that doesn't really involve anything MM&BB-related, so I probably won't count that either. So here's how I see it:

1. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy I
  2. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy II
  3. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy III
  4. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy IV
  5. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V
  6. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture
  7. Mermaid Man vs. SpongeBob
  8. Shuffle-Boarding
  9. Back To The Past
  10. The Bad Guy Club For Villains
  11. Mermaid Man Begins
  12. Super Evil Aquatic Villain Team Up Is Go!
  13. Mermaid Pants
  14. Man Ray Returns

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
FinnDinner said:
@McSponge Wait but under that logic, wouldn't MM&BB III not be part of the series because it doesn't really feature them and is more Man Ray oriented?
By logic, yeah. However, it's titled to be a part of a series of MM&BB themed episodes. If it hadn't had the 3 in the title (Insinuating a continuation in their episode series), then I'd think otherwise, but really all the episodes from 1-6 are defaults in this series.

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
McSponge said:
By logic, yeah. However, it's titled to be a part of a series of MM&BB themed episodes. If it hadn't had the 3 in the title (Insinuating a continuation in their episode series), then I'd think otherwise, but really all the episodes from 1-6 are defaults in this series.
Yeah I see what you mean, unless you have like a split off series in which you include the Man Ray episodes (MM&BB III, SAVTUIG, and Man Ray Returns).

The whole title thing is basically a gag, 1 and 2 are the only ones that are actually continuations. The rest is basically parody on super hero titles, so I don't really judge the series on the title, I understand if you do, but I personally wouldn't.
Yeah on second thought, Ditchin' isn't really a MM&BB. They have just as much of a role as they do in Night Light and I don't want to count that one, right down to them just coming out of nowhere. So for all intensive purposes Ditchin' is off the list, it's a boating school episode not a MM&BB.

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
I think of 1-6, Mermaid Man vs Spongebob, Shuffleboarding, Back to the Past, TBGCFV, Mermaid Man Begins, and SEAVTUIG as the series..... though Mermaid Man Begins feel like more of a finale.

Night Light has literally nothing to do with Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy until like 8 minutes in so eh.... doesn't really feel like it counts.

Ditchin doesn't count at all, a mermaid man and barnacle boy comic (or something like that I forget at this point) was used as why Spongebob ditchs and that's it, I don't really consider it a mermaid man and barnacle boy episode at all

Patrick Man also has little to do with Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy except them 2 being the reason why the main character starts the main plot. That one has Ditty Bubble at least, but it doesn't really feel like a Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy episode. It *could* count I guess, but eh....

Mermaid Pants and Man Ray Returns I think of as a seperate series. So almost like a spin-off of them.

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
Wintermelon43 said:
I think of 1-6, Mermaid Man vs Spongebob, Shuffleboarding, Back to the Past, TBGCFV, Mermaid Man Begins, and SEAVTUIG as the series..... though Mermaid Man Begins feel like more of a finale.

Night Light has literally nothing to do with Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy until like 8 minutes in so eh.... doesn't really feel like it counts.

Ditchin doesn't count at all, a mermaid man and barnacle boy comic (or something like that I forget at this point) was used as why Spongebob ditchs and that's it, I don't really consider it a mermaid man and barnacle boy episode at all

Patrick Man also has little to do with Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy except them 2 being the reason why the main character starts the main plot. That one has Ditty Bubble at least, but it doesn't really feel like a Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy episode. It *could* count I guess, but eh....

Mermaid Pants and Man Ray Returns I think of as a seperate series. So almost like a spin-off of them.
You probably don't count The Card then, cause all they do in that one is be on a card.

EmployeeAMillion

Season 12 Time!
It’s pretty funny how many episodes starring them but not involving them are stricken from fans’ records. It goes to show how much they love Mermaid Man & Barnacle Boy at their best and most prominent. :wub:

Klu

Moby Dollar
Original six+Vs SpongeBob+Mermaid Begins.
MermaidPants episodes are "Batman Beyond" of SpongeBob universe (kinda)

ataeaf

Outdated meme I know
EmployeeAMillion said:
I consider 1-6 are to be Classic series, the other episodes that focus on them (MM V SB, SF-BD, BttP, BGCfV, MM B, and finally, NT) to be the New series, and the Mermaid Pants episodes to be, well, just that, a sequel series starring “”the new generation of heroes””. Season 5-9 episodes that feature them but don’t star them like Night Light are downright supplementary material.
What is NT?

The Tough Sponge Man

Floating Shopping List
I'd say the episodes in the series are,
Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy I-VI (Of course)
Mermaid Man VS Spongebob
Shuffle Boarding
Back to the Past
The Bad Guy Club For Villains
Mermaid Man Begins
& Super Evil Aquatic Villain Team Up Is GO!

Other episodes featuring Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy don't really feature them in a major role, or other characters cosplaying as them.
Except for Night Light, but that one just feels unnecessary.

Back