Post 2nd Movie is overrated

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
Who else agrees. It's better than season 6-7, but it still has many problems that were apartment in post-movie. Some bad episodes in post 2nd Movie feel like season 6 holdovers, "Whirlybrains", with it's excessive gross out. Other bad episodes include "Ink Lemonade", with excessive Squidward torture. And more bad episodes where Patrick's stupidity is extremely flanderized, especailly in Birthday Blowout, although the episode was okay. Don't get me started on "The Nitwitting", which felt like an Uncle Grandpa episode. Don't forget the Squidward jokes about him wanting SpongeBob dead, which were in "Gary's Got Legs", and "Broken Alarm". Many people overlook these issues and pass them off as "Being good episodes", just because Stephen's name is in the credits.

Sara SquarePants

Lover of Spongie
I agree

Just because Stephen Hillenburg returned doesn't mean the episodes were suddenly good again!

If anything, they were getting worse and I could tell Hillenburg was getting sick of his show

This was back when he was first struggling with ALS as well

Grass-Skirt-Chase

Call me Këlp0
Season 9b and Season 10 were quality seasons, in my opinion. (Each of the characters and most of the episodes just seemed so decent, to me!) These seasons get grouped into the Post 2nd Movie era as overrated, but honestly, if they are overrated, they’re overrated for a reason. I do agree, a lot of these newer seasons have been excessively praised, but certain seasons from this era are really good.

It’s when you get down to things like “Ink Lemonade” and “The Nitwitting” where I can completely agree with you. Those episodes, for example, do not represent the show very well, making it come across as a children’s program full of lowbrow humor, which it pretty much is in certain episodes. It’s when seasons with episodes like this get praised in their entirety that the overrating thing becomes a problem. Some people choose to ignore these crappy episodes, and, as you said, just because Steve’s in the credits, or the animation was fun, or it was an original plot, the post 2nd movie era gets a lot of praise. Of course, nothing’s perfect. Each season has its ups and downs. Heh, me and this era, we have a love-hate relationship going on.

RomNick

Balloon Traveler
Who else agrees. It's better than season 6-7, but it still has many problems that were apartment in post-movie. Some bad episodes in post 2nd Movie feel like season 6 holdovers, "Whirlybrains", with it's excessive gross out. Other bad episodes include "Ink Lemonade", with excessive Squidward torture. And more bad episodes where Patrick's stupidity is extremely flanderized, especailly in Birthday Blowout, although the episode was okay. Don't get me started on "The Nitwitting", which felt like an Uncle Grandpa episode. Don't forget the Squidward jokes about him wanting SpongeBob dead, which were in "Gary's Got Legs", and "Broken Alarm". Many people overlook these issues and pass them off as "Being good episodes", just because Stephen's name is in the credits.
If I had a dollar for kind of this comment on this forum...

EntertainmentFanatic

Part Computer or Something
I disagree. I honestly really like post 2nd movie. There are of course some bad episodes, but I think the show is really good right now. I actually didn't like the first couple episodes of season 12 at first but after rewatching them I quite enjoy them.

coft

happy hopping moron
9 is actually a quality season.

10 is okay

I don’t care for the rest of it.

I don’t even know why I watch the new episodes...

EditorWiki

Floating Shopping List
I disagree, I don't like "Post Movie" because Steve's names in the credits, if that was the case, I would hate Season 4 because Steve was not on the show. I like it because its much more creative then the rut we were in a decade ago, assuming like that is dangerous, If Season 13 is good i'll like it because it's good, and Steve's names in the credit won't affect that (of course i'll miss him being in the credits) And those "Nit" and "Ink" episodes are just the duds just like how every other season has it (Dumped, A pal for gary, The Splinter etc) some duds are worst than others. Hell some people still don't know Steve came back after the 2nd movie, I just saw a dumb YT comment saying "steve is angry in heaven" on a episode that aired when he was on board and alive. Using Steve as a pointer to push this motion is a BAD IDEA. Thanks

Back