First official movie poster

Patrick-Man!

Floating Shopping List
i like the CG looks nice, reminds me of the recent game looks. im sure it won't focus heavily on it. im sure the poster was shown to let us know what the CG looks like. i like it alot :D
NOW GIVE ME TEASER

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
Grubby Grouper said:
Reading the comments ... somebody mentions that the poster is a parody of a Coppertone suncreen advertisement, so I looked it up, and they're clearly right. Suddenly it makes a lot more sense. :P

coppertone-L-pFoxFp.jpeg

President Squidward

Mmmm donuts.
Supmandude said:
I don't like the word "the" being in the title without the number 2. It might make people think this is the first movie and kids growing up now might not even know about the first one at all.
HAHAHHAAHAHHA are you kidding me? They show the first movie on Nick all the time! :P

Jibbix

Balloon Traveler
Well, uh...

Huh. Not really sure what to say at this point. The CGI as a gimmick is beginning to seem more and more arbitrary as we learn more about it, and while it looks really good in that poster... I don't know. SpongeBob went on land in the first movie and was 2D, so why is he suddenly CGI here? It's coming off as a gimmick very much so. I've always preferred 2D, even in the face of good CGI, but maybe it'll be alright. A more minor complaint, but "The SpongeBob Movie: A Sponge Out Of Water" is a super clunky title and just sounds off. Plus I reeeeealy hope the "lol butts" visual gag in the poster isn't indicative of the film's humor.

I don't really know how to feel at this point. Really hoping for at least some 2D, (SpongeBob's 2D animation with a huge budget is god level) but I think I'm gonna have to see some footage or something before I can really judge anything. I know it's just a poster, but it's made my hype go down a little, honestly speaking. :/

At least the CGI looks good, I guess.

Edit: disregard the "lol butts" comment since DMAP explained it a few posts above mine :P

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
Jibbix said:
Well, uh...

Huh. Not really sure what to say at this point. The CGI as a gimmick is beginning to seem more and more arbitrary as we learn more about it, and while it looks really good in that poster... I don't know. SpongeBob went on land in the first movie and was 2D, so why is he suddenly CGI here? It's coming off as a gimmick very much so. I've always preferred 2D, even in the face of good CGI, but maybe it'll be alright. A more minor complaint, but "The SpongeBob Movie: A Sponge Out Of Water" is a super clunky title and just sounds off. Plus I reeeeealy hope the "lol butts" visual gag in the poster isn't indicative of the film's humor.

I don't really know how to feel at this point. Really hoping for at least some 2D, (SpongeBob's 2D animation with a huge budget is god level) but I think I'm gonna have to see some footage or something before I can really judge anything. I know it's just a poster, but it's made my hype go down a little, honestly speaking. :/

Edit: disregard the "lol butts" comment since DMAP explained it a few posts above mine :P
I was pretty turned off by the butt humour before I realized it was a parody. But then again, the first movie's teaser had underpants as a focus, so this kind of humour isn't exactly new. And yes, since it's a parody of something I guess (hope) it isn't indicative of the movie's humour as a whole, although I do expect underpants/butt humour to some degree because those kinds of gags have been present since the beginning.

"Look at me, Gary! I'm nakeeeeeed!"

DadMom AngryPants said:
Yeah, I would have liked to see 2D as well. But at least we now know what the CGI looks like. I'm guessing the 2D parts will look similar to the first movie since there's lots of Sherm Cohen drawings. :)

w7wXyI2.png

By the way ... please tell me I'm not the only person who saw the poster and immediately thought of this:
http://www.sbmania.net/pictures.php?img=8XYiNEHEGgAREWX16XYm9iNp2zQc00Nde0uLUqVinlQ%3D
Maybe that scene was parodying that commercial ;)

Jibbix said:
Well, uh...

My personal theory, tbh, is that the reason why they made his poster CGI is because of the "He's Leaving His World Behind".... I have a feeling that's not just referring to sea to land but also sea and 2D to land and CGI..... Probably they're simply trying to market to the current generational child fanbase :)

Jibbix

Balloon Traveler
E.V.I.L said:
My personal theory, tbh, is that the reason why they made his poster CGI is because of the "He's Leaving His World Behind".... I have a feeling that's not just referring to sea to land but also sea and 2D to land and CGI..... Probably they're simply trying to market to the current generational child fanbase :)
That's what I mean. There was no need for SpongeBob to be CGI in the first movie, so the fact that they're doing it here seems to scream "HEY WE'RE CGI KIDS BUY TICKETS PLEASE" which implies a lack of confidence in 2D which is something I don't like to see in the animation industry today. It just feels like a scream to be relevant, and when you're SpongeBob, of all things, that should be one of the last things that's necessary.

You could say that they're trying to differentiate themselves from the first movie, and wanted to not tread the same ground when SpongeBob goes on land, but then you could just as easily bring up the argument of why they had to recycle a part of the first movie at all, meaning they're treading the same ground anyway.

Supmandude

Squog
That's what I mean. There was no need for SpongeBob to be CGI in the first movie, so the fact that they're doing it here seems to scream "HEY WE'RE CGI KIDS BUY TICKETS PLEASE" which implies a lack of confidence in 2D which is something I don't like to see in the animation industry today. It just feels like a scream to be relevant, and when you're SpongeBob, of all things, that should be one of the last things that's necessary.

Yeah, that's what bothers me too. At the very least, I'm glad that the film will have 2D in it, but the whole reasoning behind it is what bugs me. I personally think 2D and 3D films can both coexist, but there are too many executives pushing 3D like it's the only thing that will sell and I don't think that's actually true if they'd just try to make a quality 2D film. What it says about the industry is the horrible thing about it to me.

Jibbix said:

You could say that they're trying to differentiate themselves from the first movie, and wanted to not tread the same ground when SpongeBob goes on land, but then you could just as easily bring up the argument of why they had to recycle a part of the first movie at all, meaning they're treading the same ground anyway.
Yeah, I agree with you on that part. Unfortunately, as evident by the very few 2D movies that have come out in this generation (Princess and the Frog and Winnie the pooh), 2D movies don't do as well anymore. :( Though I could have seen SB doing well in 2D, it's no longer realistic for the creators.

I strongly doubt they used CGI to differentiate themselves from the first... hopefully a good chunk IS 2D like they say

RedSoxFan274

Baseball. Hockey. SBM vet. I drop in unexpectedly.
Nygaard said:
I was kinda hoping the official poster would feature the 2d animation not the CGI. It makes it seem like the CG will be the main focus, I guess it's for marketing since CG films make a lot more money then 2d animated films nowadays which is why they barley exist now.
It's because "in 3D" is a highly marketable selling point. Even though I'm skeptical of the usage of 3D animation, they wouldn't be able to market it being "in 3D" and then release 2D advertisements and posters... at least that's the way I see it.

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
Cosmic-Loop said:
YES!!!! I knew from the beginning! xD
The Coppertone ad is from the 50s, and Salty Shoals has a retro vibe with the 50s cars and colours, so I suppose it makes sense. I have to wonder how many people will get the reference, though. It's a very strange poster if you don't know what it is parodying.

Cha

I love SBM
I knew the reference from the beginning. It use to be really popular (at least in the USA) and still kinda is.

Back