My ongoing pathological obsession with SpongeBob SquarePants: A case study

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
Alternative title: "Why I Still Love SpongeBob"
By DMAP​

My life may revolve around the antics of a talking cartoon sponge, but I'm not totally naïve. I am fully aware of all the bad things that have happened; the favouritism that Nickelodeon has showed, the cash-cow status, the 10 airings a day and the resulting hate from other fandoms and even within the SpongeBob fandom; the undeniable drop in quality after the movie and the resulting rift between fans. Sometimes there comes along an episode so embarrassingly bad that I question why I keep coming back, why I keep watching new episodes, why I keep supporting the show.

Here's why.
  • SpongeBob isn't just a cartoon series. It's toys, it's games, it's movies, it's books, it's songs … it's everywhere. You could never watch an episode in your life and still understand the SpongeBob universe and it's characters. The episodes are just one piece of the puzzle.
  • When bad things happen, they don't “cancel out” good things. They could make a spin-off about worm babies but it wouldn't mean that “Band Geeks” never happened. If there's an episode I don't like I think, “Well, that was pretty terrible and I never want to watch it again. But on the other hand there's hundreds of other episodes that I do like so I'll go watch them instead.”
  • When I feel my interest waning, something always comes along and makes me fall in love again. Right now it's the new Christmas special and album. Good things like this make the bad times worth it for me.
And that's why I still love SpongeBob.
:sbface:

NastyPatty2002

Dead Inspector
This just about probably sums up my feelings and a lot of other members feelings on spongebob, Ameritech? :D

Aw, you're always so positive! This is why you're such a great mod, you're always so confident in your love for SpongeBob, although people started hating on it so much. :D

SpongeRoadie UK

Vomit Boy
That was beautiful! *tears*

I bet I couldn't do much about this. It was just a well thought out post, that warms my heart.

Box And Company

Floating Shopping List
I have always loved SpongeBob as well. With it's wacky yet lovable characters, the nautical and athmospheric feel, the crazy and hi-larious plots, the show altogether is just great. Even when it has it's blunders, I still love it.
DMAP, you're not alone here. Loved this post.
Alternative title: "Why I Still Love SpongeBob"
By DMAP​

My life may revolve around the antics of a talking cartoon sponge, but I'm not totally naïve. I am fully aware of all the bad things that have happened; the favouritism that Nickelodeon has showed, the cash-cow status, the 10 airings a day and the resulting hate from other fandoms and even within the SpongeBob fandom; the undeniable drop in quality after the movie and the resulting rift between fans. Sometimes there comes along an episode so embarrassingly bad that I question why I keep coming back, why I keep watching new episodes, why I keep supporting the show.

Here's why.
  • SpongeBob isn't just a cartoon series. It's toys, it's games, it's movies, it's books, it's songs … it's everywhere. You could never watch an episode in your life and still understand the SpongeBob universe and it's characters. The episodes are just one piece of the puzzle.
  • When bad things happen, they don't “cancel out” good things. They could make a spin-off about worm babies but it wouldn't mean that “Band Geeks” never happened. If there's an episode I don't like I think, “Well, that was pretty terrible and I never want to watch it again. But on the other hand there's hundreds of other episodes that I do like so I'll go watch them instead.”
  • When I feel my interest waning, something always comes along and makes me fall in love again. Right now it's the new Christmas special and album. Good things like this make the bad times worth it for me.
And that's why I still love SpongeBob.
:sbface:

Yeah, thanks for the support. I won't do it. But thanks anyway.
l5LKw.png

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
Was this an essay you had to do for Mrs. Puff? :p

Yes, but it was less than 800 words so she rejected it and I posted it here instead.
Speaking of 800 words, there's no way SpongeBob's essay was that long. So he would have failed it even if Mrs Puff had marked it.

Back