"Truth or Square?" Discussion

goofy-goober

Rock & Roll Wizard
The show was alright. i remember laughing at portions of it. It's definitely worth seeing, but as a 'reminisce' episode, naturally, the plot's not too enthralling. The nature of the episode kinda dismisses that as anything detrimental though.. the Patchy scenes were hit and miss. Usually i am absolutely annoyed at him, but there were some golden moments here amongst annoying ones. The Robin Williams skit was hilarious, whereas the Pink one was atrocious. i kept wondering "when's the cartoon going to come back on?" Still... it was alright.

Stinkoman 20X6

I want to get lost in your rock and roll

Lazlo

Flying Dutchman's Sock
It was okay. I felt that the flashbacks were a mixed bag. There were some funny parts though, like the Squidward, Patrick and Mr. Krabs theme songs.

Oh, the claymation intro looked fine. I wonder if it was just for this episode. O_o

RedSoxFan274

Baseball. Hockey. SBM vet. I drop in unexpectedly.
The intro was the best part.

Heck, the intro was frakking amazing. Loved it.

As for the rest...It was...meh. I enjoyed it, don't get me wrong...I liked the episode...But it wasn't anything compared to Dear Vikings, To Love a Patty, or All That Glitters.

And surprisingly, I quite enjoyed the Patchy Segments this time.
**FAINTS**

Perry The Platypus

....What?
TOS might have been the...........best SB episode in a LONG time.
The Patchy segments were the best part. I was pissed to find out half of it was cut out of today's airing.
But It was still great. The other versions of the theme song were so funny.
The new theme was awesome, I love claymation(Love it or not the song is still catchy)

I give it 9/10.

SpongeSebastian

CheeseHead BrownPants
Here's the review I wrote for TV.com:

I was excited to watch this episode since I first heard about it in January. Sure, it was overhyped, but I knew that before I even watched the movie.

The episode starts off with the debut of SpongeBob's brand-new claymation opening. I'm not sure if they're planning to keep it, but I think it's kinda cute.

Cartoon segments: SpongeBob gets ready for the moment he's been waiting for: the eleventy-seventh anniversary of the Krusty Krab. He begins to sing a song while he is getting ready that I thought was pretty catchy. Once he gets to the restaurant, the party preparations begin! The balloons are up, the prices are set, and Patrick the security guard is ready for some beatin'. Yadda, yadda, yadda, they get locked in the freezer and have no way out but to go through the air shafts. You guys have probably already seen all this. Anyway, throughout the episode, we see a number of interesting and some revealing flashbacks: the times Squidward has slept on the job, when Mr. Krabs has flicked Plankton, when SpongeBob has redecorated that Krusty Krab, and a few more. I was expecting them to include clips from previous episodes, but they were all new (except for one from "To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants" that they showed). We get to see the very first animated Krusty Krab commercial from the 1950s, which I found entertaining. We see how Squidward's life was like before SpongeBob and how they became neighbors. That part was revealing and carried out very well. I had a good feeling that SpongeBob's pineapple fell from some kind of ship. And, of course, the most talked about of them all, SpongeBob and Sandy getting married. Yes, guys, it was all just a play, but at least they gave us Spandy supporters a vision of what the two's actual wedding would look like. I was just disappointed that it went to a commercial break straight afterwards, since I was expected SpongeBob to make some kind of suggestive comment about that. Oh well, the ending was very uplifting and gave the series a good place to move on.

Patchy segments: A lot of people don't like the Patchy segments that much, but I find them a bit funny and creative. In this movie, Patchy has big plans to throw the biggest televised sponge bash with top celebrities such as Will Ferrel, Pink, LeBron James, Craig Ferguson, Robin Williams and more. So many big stars jam-packed into one movie only means one thing: best anniversary ever! Anyway, Patchy's main goal out of all of this is to finally meet his hero, SpongeBob SquarePants, in person. Lol, I loved that joke in the middle of the movie where he's asked if he actually means that he wants to meet Tom Kenny, the voice of SpongeBob instead and Patchy doesn't even know who that is! (Hopefully most of the fans here get what the joke is implying) Towards the end, Patchy sets sail to do so, but gets eaten by a whale along the way. There, he shows us some of the most funniest clips I've ever seen: The theme song altered with Squidard, Patrick, and Mr. Krabs. LMAO! (Yes, I thought the 1920's cartoon segment was cute as well). The only part I didn't like was when Pink was performing "We've Got Scurvy". Ugh, we've already seen this many times since July, so you don't need to include it into the movie. (Sorry, but that song is just annoying.)

To sum it all up "Truth or Square" was a terrific way to wrap up the year-long celebration of SpongeBob's 10th anniversary. I hope to see many great SB toons in the future and this movie was a great treat. Here's to 2019!

Airedale Lady

I am a ghost. Fear me.
I retaped it and finally got to see the ending. My assessment still stands--this was one of the best post season 3 episodes so far and it didn't feel rushed or stupid. I thought the "Rejected songs" were funny, although I seem to recall years ago on this forum someone had writen theme songs from the other characters' POVs. (I seem to recall the Squidward one). More proof that writers trawl and lurk on fan forums?

sb1fan

Ohmygodimonfire.
*breathes in deeply, breathes out*

Alright...how am I gonna say about this episode without being too critical...

Umm, let's look at the positives. SpongeBob looks great in HD, that's for sure. :P Umm...there are some funny jokes...here and there...

Okay, time to just criticize it now. :| I didn't see the cut with all the celebrities and I didn't see the intro, but based on what I saw was really disappointed. To be honest, for a guy who has stopped watching SpongeBob, I really anticipated for this episode, treating like if it was a series finale, hoping that it would give the vibe of good ol' days of SpongeBob. Instead we get...more of the new SpongeBob. When I heard that they were going to do flashbacks in this episode, I was hoping for ACTUAL flashbacks of the show. But no, we get these flashbacks that feel highly unecessary (Like a Family Guy episode! Don't worry, I actually watch the show, but you have to admit, that's a pretty hefty flaw). There were also a LOT of great potential in some of these jokes here, but they just fall flat (I mean, imagine how funny those 'original theme songs' could have been, they really could have played around with that and get some hilarious results). In short, this could have been an awesome episode, COULD have. Sadly, it's all played safe again in this hour of the same old stuff.

Wow, I sounded like I tore it to pieces. :P It wasn't that bad...

Mr. Dr. Professor Patrick

Developer of Awesomeness
I thought the beggining was confusing with Patchy the Pirate, which slowly progressed to make sense.

I thought the special was somewhat off the series, if you know what I mean; the episode just doesn't fit with the rest of the series. I love the different openers they showed, Squidward being the best. I was saddened when I figured out the Spandy wedding wasn't real -- we all knew it wasn't, though. When SpongeBob sings at the end of the special, I thought there could had been a better-fitting song to sing along (something about Oh Christmas Tree just didn't seem to fit), but the song itself was magical and powerful to the watcher, so I'll give credit to that.

If the new opener, with the claymation, is going to be the new official opener, then I'm going to be upset; I thought it wasn't as good as some other ones.

sireatsalot

Alien hunter
If the new opener, with the claymation, is going to be the new official opener, then I'm going to be upset
Amen to that. I thought I was the only one. BTW- the Patchy segments didn't make much sense to me at first, either. They were alright, until I saw the whole thing on Youtube, then it was much better.

MechaWave

Karate Master
MDDP and sireastsalot, you just proved that you never read the news.

Truth or Square was made before the episodes in the SpongeBash, so.......

sireatsalot

Alien hunter
MDDP and sireastsalot, you just proved that you never read the news.

Truth or Square was made before the episodes in the SpongeBash, so.......
Well, I never said I did read all the news that is/was/ever will be printed about SB. :D
All I was getting at was that I really didn't like that opener and hope it will never be used again.

Stinkoman 20X6

I want to get lost in your rock and roll
Why didn't you like the opener? I thought to myself, "Finally, something fresh and new after the usual outdated theme!"

Back