"Truth or Square?" Discussion

iPlankton

The Original Single-Celled Organism
WARNING: SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW

In all, this episode was fantastic. Everything it should have been. You might have noticed some of the live-action sequences were filmed at the same time as "SquareRoots: The Story of SpongeBob SquarePants". The Patchy sequences were really funny for once, and it was great to see people like Craig Ferguson, Robin Williams, LeBron James and Will Ferrel. The P!nk performance was unexpected somewhat, I didn't really care for it but it was good enough for the episode, and they had a way to include a lot of celebrities without making it over-hyped or plotless, which was good.

As far as the actual animation and plot goes, "Truth or Square?" had a great way of functioning. They got the anniversary theme in without breaking the fourth wall (except the one funny joke with the camerafish, which was hilarious) and yet the Patchy parts highlighted the show's physical anniversary which was a perfect way to do it. I also loved the Seinfeld-borrowed archetype of the flashbacks that relate to the story. I also like how the flashbacks weren't re-used clips from the show, but brand new things.

One thing I wished was that they talked a bit about Sandy and SpongeBob's wedding. Apparantly it's treated as though it's a revelation that SpongeBob is crushing on Sandy, but if they put in a little more than just it being a play it would be great; like more of a hint. I liked all the different styles of animation, too. And all the writers and animators from the past 10 years working together on it made it a real special collaboration. The different theme songs/failed show ideas were hilarious, too. I could NOT stop laughing. And the high definition widescreen format was fantastic too. Great episode; I can't wait for the release Tuesday to rewatch.

RedSoxFan274

Baseball. Hockey. SBM vet. I drop in unexpectedly.
I didn't know who that guy with the weird accent was. When he was talking to Patchy he also talked with a pirate accent. Who was that? Last name Ferguson.
That was Craig Ferguson, host of the Late Late Show on CBS. He's a Scottish-Irish guy, which is why he had the accent. He's really funny. He hosts the Boston Pops on the Fourth of July now. :P

Spongefifi

Derpina
So, just watched it again this morning and it was a different version, they cut out all the celebrities parts (except for P!nk's) which means less Patchy and the patchy parts they did leave were the good ones, so I'm way more comfort with it now, and now I like it a lot more since the excessive live action segments were my main issue with it, I can't find many bad things to say about it, the jokes were still funny, and the songs were cute, the ending was decent. So yeah, at least a 9.6/10 now.

sireatsalot

Alien hunter
Wow. Unfortunately, I missed last night's debut, which meant I got to see the half a_s version, apparently. I am super annoyed by this, but what do ya do? Oh, that's right, you go to Youtube and watch it!

Anyways, I couldn't stand the opening intro- the animation or the music. I am not a huge fan of claymation or similar mediums. I liked the Patchy parts- almost always do. The alarm clocks were kinda annoying, but over-exaggeration is what SpongeBob is all about. The in-utero SpongeBob was gross, even for me. @_@ I didn't like the fact thay every flashback was something "new". I like to see old clips in a flashback. My favorites, though, were the outer-space decor flashback and the different opening themes for Squidward and Mr. Krabs.

Overall, the actual episode (minus live action stints) was great. I thought is was very funny and well executed.

Favorite quote- :wacko: "I've spent a lifetime workin in this restaurant, and I know there's only one way outa here."

:xD: "A high school diploma?"

RedSoxFan274

Awesome, it sounds like it was really good. Hopefully I can catch it sometime soon. :spongebob:
Don't be fooled by everyone else's glowing reviews, hopefully you'll realize, like I did, that this was yet ANOTHER overhyped special. @_@ I think it's better than ASP, POTW, WBWP, AND SBvTBO, the best of the last 5 specials, but it still could have used A LOT of improvement. -_-

sireatsalot

Alien hunter
Awesome, it sounds like it was really good. Hopefully I can catch it sometime soon. :spongebob:
Don't be fooled by everyone else's glowing reviews, hopefully you'll realize, like I did, that this was yet ANOTHER overhyped special. @_@ I think it's better than ASP, POTW, WBWP, AND SBvTBO, the best of the last 5 specials, but it still could have used A LOT of improvement. -_-
Wow, I thought adults were always the overly critical ones!

MechaWave

Karate Master
No, actually, it wasn't overhyped at all.

RedSoxFan274

No, apparently I am the most critical person here. :) And I, for one, am very surprised that some of my fellow fans did not see through this shallow episode. And not just the writing, there were many others factors that made me not care for it: the commercial breaks were waaay too long, there was way more Patchy than normal, too much, in my opinion, the celebrity roles were not AT ALL what I had expected they would be... I could go on and on. :)

MechaWave

Karate Master
No, apparently I am the most critical person here. :) And I, for one, am very surprised that some of my fellow fans did not see through this shallow episode. And not just the writing, there were many others factors that made me not care for it: the commercial breaks were waaay too long, there was way more Patchy than normal, too much, in my opinion, the celebrity roles were not AT ALL what I had expected they would be... I could go on and on. :)
I completely agree. The whole episode was meh, and the flashbacks weren't interesting or eye-catching.

RedSoxFan274

Don't be fooled by everyone else's glowing reviews, hopefully you'll realize, like I did, that this was yet ANOTHER overhyped special. @_@ I think it's better than ASP, POTW, WBWP, AND SBvTBO, the best of the last 5 specials, but it still could have used A LOT of improvement. :)
No, apparently I am the most critical person here. :P And I, for one, am very surprised that some of my fellow fans did not see through this shallow episode. And not just the writing, there were many others factors that made me not care for it: the commercial breaks were waaay too long, there was way more Patchy than normal, too much, in my opinion, the celebrity roles were not AT ALL what I had expected they would be... I could go on and on. :)
I completely agree. The whole episode was meh, and the flashbacks weren't interesting or eye-catching.
FINALLY, someone who agrees with me! -_-

Beatlesnicole

OG SBM member. I love games and reading. DM me la~
I love this movie @_@ It seems bettah than the past SB TV movies -_- One of my favorite scenes is the ending, when SB sung "Oh Krusty Krab" :) The SB part is awesome, but for the Patchy segments, I didn't like so much :spongebob: :) I have no idea who most of celebs! :P And seeing Pink singing "The Scurvy Song" thingy is just weird :P LOL :P It just doesn't fit her :P IDK :P

The Dark Knight

Fashionabluh
The intro was the best part.

Heck, the intro was frakking amazing. Loved it.

As for the rest...It was...meh. I enjoyed it, don't get me wrong...I liked the episode...But it wasn't anything compared to Dear Vikings, To Love a Patty, or All That Glitters.

And surprisingly, I quite enjoyed the Patchy Segments this time.

Airedale Lady

I am a ghost. Fear me.
I went in with low expectations, and then was really impressed. I had never laughed so hard at a post season 3 episode, and the song in the end had me rolling on the floor--I don't know if it was the silliness of the song or the supidity of it.
The part where Mrs. Squarepants went into the KK while pregnant was a little unnerving (esp. since sponges don't reproduce that way) but still funny. Unfortunately, my stupid DVR stopped recording after the "Oh Krusty krab' song so I missed the last like 3 minutes of the episode. Overall, I'd give it a 10. Now if only te other season 6 eps could have been as good.

Mr. Dr. Professor Patrick

Developer of Awesomeness
Nickelodeon, which had originally planned Truth or Square to reaired tonight at 8 PM, was replaced by iCarly's iGet a Bad Boy.

Hopefully, Nick will show Truth or Square after iCarly. O_o

abney317

Abney=last name
Staff
I thought the episode was great O_o lot's of funny stuff in the flash backs... and good special guests

Back