Behind the Scenes with SpongeBob and Friends

Stinkoman 20X6

I want to get lost in your rock and roll
Interview with Marilyn Steress ("Poppy Puff")

Patchy: Now here in the studio, I've caught an interview with Marilyn Steress, who plays Poppy Puff, the waitress at the Krusty Krab and SpongeBob's former boating teacher, in the show.

Mrs. Puff: (footage from Sandy's Rocket) I don't know what this is about...but it's going on your permanent record!
Patchy: So, Marilyn, tell us about how you got to be the great pufferfish that is Mrs. Puff.
Mrs. Puff: (footage from Pranks a Lot; deflating) GHOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Marilyn Steress ("Mrs. Puff"): Well, I originally starred along with Robert Gilluff in the film Spongey-O, Spongey-O and when Stephanie told Robert about how she couldn't find anyone to play the part of SB'S boating instructor, unnamed at the time, Robert reccommended me. I was originally retired from acting, but when Stephanie approached me, I was thrilled to star in a whole series with Robert.
Patchy: What's it like to play Mrs. Puff?
Marilyn: Well, sometimes, it can be stressful, cause I often had to scream a lot in the series.
*all the footage of Mrs. Puff screaming in Doing Time is played*
Patchy: I've already asked everyone else this, but what's your favorite episode in the series?
Marilyn: Probably "Puff Mama". My least favorite though would be "Doing Time" cause of all that screaming.
*the footage is played again*
Patchy: One last question, being a pufferfish, have you ever inflated in stressful situations?
Marilyn: Not recently, no.
*all of the footage of Mrs. Puff inflating in the series is played*

BTTNI.

Marilyn is based on Marilyn Monroe. Streress is a corruption of "stress", referring to how stressful Mrs. Puff is in the series.

Next interview: Randy Annoa ("Producer Randy", Producer)!

SpOnGeFaN818

Wumbologist
I kinda figured what would be her least fav after the screaming footage. Can't wait for Randy's interview.

Stinkoman 20X6

Interview with Randy Annoa ("Producer Randy", Producer)

Randy Annoa: HOLA!!!
Camerman: (backing up the camera, startled) AAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!
Randy: Oh, uh, sorry there, Joe.
Joe: (camerman; offscreen) Why is everyone doing this to me today?!
Patchy: So, Randy Annoa, you're both "Producer Randy" on the show and the show's producer?
Randy: Si, that's right.
Producer Randy: (footage from SpongeBob Goes to Mexico) Uh, Producer Randy, profesor del estudiante del volenteer at the C.E.D.P.P.D.F.M, at your servicio.
Patchy: What's it like to play the tallest most annoying character on the show?
Randy: I was just about to ask you the very same question.
Patchy: Hey...
Producer Randy: (footage from SpongeBob Goes to Mexico) Wow, and I thought my pap was tan medio.
Patchy: Okay, then...what's it like to be the producer?
Randy: Oh, being a producer is so fun. I get to act tough and what-not if a scene isn't right, I could go, "SONDRA, YOU IDIOTA!!!! THAT WAS THE WORST SOUND MIXING EVER!!!" and then we'd all laugh about it at the end.
SpongeBob: (footage from Life of Crime) This town ain't big enough for the two of us!
Patchy: What's your favorite episode?
Randy: Definitely "Terminar a Idiota", because we filmed it in Fondo Mexicano, which is my hometown.[sup]1[/sup]
Producer Randy: (footage from SpongeBob Goes to Mexico) Make yoursleves cmodo, guys.
Patchy: And you least favorite?
Randy: I don't really like "SpongeBob CablePants" because I don't like playing the bad guy, which I had to do for that movie.
Squidward: (footage from SpongeBob CablePants) Wherever there's peace in the universe...
Randy: Team Squidward will be there to make everyhting worse!
Patchy: Well, gracias for talking to us, Randy!

BTTNI.

Next interview: Rachel Steress ("Pearl Krabs")!

[sup]1[/sup]If you look back to SBGTM, you'll see that the formal title is indeed "Terminar a Idiota", similar to how "The Lost Episode"'s formal title is "The Sponge Who Could Fly".

Stinkoman 20X6

Interview with Rachel Steress ("Pearl Krabs")

Rachel Steress ("Pearl Krabs"): Hello, cameras!
Patchy: So, you're Rachel...Steress?
Rachel: Yes, yes, even though I play Mr. krabs's daughter in the show, my mom actually plays Mrs. Puff. Yeah, I get this a lot.
Patchy: What is that like exactly?
Rachel: Well, people already know that I'm not George Huffey's daughter in real life since I'm a whale and he's a crab, but nobody ever guesses I'm Mrs. Puff's daughter until they find out my last name/
Patchy: So, people often wodner how a whale can be a crab's daughter, but now the stranger question is how a whale can be a pufferfish's daughter.
Homer Simpson: (footage from The Simpsons Movie) I know, it's weird.
Rachel: Well, it's actually simple if you look at it. My dad's a whale, and I msotly took after my dad. Love is but strange, ain't it?
Patchy: Uh huh. So, what's your favorite episode?
Rachel: I like "Whale of a Birthday" where Pearl has her 16th Birthday.
Boys Who Cry: (footage from Whale of a Birthday) It's all about you, it's all about Pearl...
Patchy: Your least favorite.
Rachel: I don't like "Mid-Life Crustacean" that much. I mean, "coral"? WTF?!!?
Patchy: Well, um, thanks for talking to us. Say hello to your mom for us.

BTTNI.

Next interview: Joe Callaboanga ("Larry the Lobster")!

Stinkoman 20X6

Interview with Joe Callaboanga ("Larry the Lobster")

Patchy: Hello, Joe. Can we get a sec?
Joe Callaboanga ("Larry the Lobster"): Sure.
Patchy: (over footage of Larry the Lobster from the series) So, in the show, you play Larry the Lobster, a laidback self-centered surfer slash bodybuilder slash lifeguard. How are you like him in real life?
Joe: Well, like Larry, I used to be a lifeguard at Kelpami Beach. And, when I'm not working on the show, I'm a perfessional bodybuilder.
Patchy: Have you had any previous expieriences with surfing before the show?
Joe: Oh, yeah, I surfed a lot in my teenage years.
Patchy: People argue about whether Larry was stealing Sandy from SpongeBob in the episode "Ripped Pants". What do you think?
Joe: Larry was just looking for kicks. He knew SpongeBob and Sandy were only friends.
Patchy: So, I've already asked everyone else this, but what's your favorite episode?
Joe: No doubt "Sponge Guard on Duty", because I got to relive some of my lifeguard expieriences at Kelpami Beach, which is where the Goo Lagoon scenes are filmed.
Scooter: (footage from Sponge Guard on Duty) Lifeguard, how's the tubage?
Larry: Gnarly, dudes!
Patchy: Least favorite?
Joe: (over footage from Party Pooper Pants) "Party Pooper Pants".
Patchy: Well, thanks, Joe. Good luck with the bodybuildin'!

BTTNI.

Next interview: Norm Errmaid and Rob Arnacul ("Mermaidman and Barnacleboy")!

Joe is my dad's first name. "Callaboanga" is a corruption of "cowabonga", which is a stereotypical surfing cry.

SpOnGeFaN818

Wumbologist
Interview with Joe Callaboanga ("Larry the Lobster")

Patchy: Hello, Joe. Can we get a sec?
Joe Callaboanga ("Larry the Lobster"): Sure.
Patchy: (over footage of Larry the Lobster from the series) So, in the show, you play Larry the Lobster, a laidback self-centered surfer slash bodybuilder slash lifeguard. How are you like him in real life?
Joe: Well, like Larry, I used to be a lifeguard at Kelpami Beach. And, when I'm not working on the show, I'm a perfessional bodybuilder.
Patchy: Have you had any previous expieriences with surfing before the show?
Joe: Oh, yeah, I surfed a lot in my teenage years.
Patchy: People argue about whether Larry was stealing Sandy from SpongeBob in the episode "Ripped Pants". What do you think?
Joe: Larry was just looking for kicks. He knew SpongeBob and Sandy were only friends.
Patchy: So, I've already asked everyone else this, but what's your favorite episode?
Joe: No doubt "Sponge Guard on Duty", because I got to relive some of my lifeguard expieriences at Kelpami Beach, which is where the Goo Lagoon scenes are filmed.
Scooter: (footage from Sponge Guard on Duty) Lifeguard, how's the tubage?
Larry: Gnarly, dudes!
Patchy: Least favorite?
Joe: (over footage from Party Pooper Pants) "Party Pooper Pants".
Patchy: Well, thanks, Joe. Good luck with the bodybuildin'!

BTTNI.

Next interview: Norm Errmaid and Rob Arnacul ("Mermaidman and Barnacleboy")!

Joe is my dad's first name. "Callaboanga" is a corruption of "cowabonga", which is a stereotypical surfing cry.
Oh, I know why Party Pooper Pants was his least fav. :thumbsup:

Stinkoman 20X6

I can't believe I forgot to mention how some of the cartoon actors look like off-set.

Marilyn Steress looks the same as she does when she's Mrs. Puf except she didn't have a hat, and she actually had black hair (it was apparently dyed blonde during the show).

Randy Annoa looks the same as he does when he's Producer Randy except that his poncho didn't have red-balled frizzles on them. He also didn't wear a sombrero, revealing brown hair in the same hairstyle as Professor Rattan at the end of the VeggieTales© episode Minnesota Cuke and the Search for Sampson's Hairbrush.

Rachel Steress had a purple shirt (instead of pink) with a green flame on it.

Joe had a red button shirt with cargo shorts and sunglasses.

Interview with Norm Ermade and Rob Arnacul ("Mermaidman and Barnacleboy")

Rob Arnacul wore glasses instead of goggles, he actually had a full head of brown hair, and he wore a purple hawaiian shirt with cargo shorts and sandals.

Norm Ermade had a shell-less nose and a Navy unfirom.

Patchy: (yelling) Hello, Norm and Rob! How are you?
Rob Arnacul ("Barnacleboy"): You don't have to yell. We're not deaf. We can hear fine. Right, Norm?
Norm Ermade ("Mermaidman"): Yeah, sure, we're not that old. Well...we are, but not as Mermaidman and Barnacleboy are in the show!
*footage of Mermaidman's arm bones cracking from Mermaidman and Barnacleboy VI: The Motion Picture*
Arnacul: (as they both laugh) Now there's something we can agree on!
Patchy: So, how old are you guys really?
Ermade: Well, we don't usually like to reveal our ages publically, but Rob's 57 and I'm 53.
Barnacleboy: (footage from Mermaidman and Barancleboy V) I'm so old I got hair growing out of my liver spots!
Patchy: So Mermaidman, what up with the duds?
Ermade: Oh, well, see, I was in the Navy back in my 40's, and I guess I still like to wear my old uniform sometimes. I just find it kinda comfy.
Arnacul: You know, you should get me one of those comfy uniforms.
Patchy: Have you two ever worked together before?
Arnacul: Oh, yes, we have quite a history together. Why, we starred in the film, "Duck Codger Boys", about eight years ago, and that film inspired Nickelodeon to hire us as Mermaidman and Barnacleboy.
Patchy: So, um...tell me about "Mermaidman and Barnacleboy V".
(over footage of deleted scenes from Mermaidman and Barnacleboy V)
Ermade: Well, the writers all went out and ate a lot of ice cream, and then they started coming up with ideas like crazy for MM&BBV.
Arnacul: Eventually, they ended up with an 18-minute long episode that obviously had to be cut down.
"This is a deleted scene from Mermaidman and Barnacleboy V".
SpongeBob: WOWW!!! THE SECRET ENTRANCE TO THE MERMALIAR!!!
Mermaidman: *shushes him*
SpongeBob: (quietly) Wow, the secret entrance to the Mermalair.
Patchy: What can you tell us about the upcoming Season 10 episode, "Mermaidman and Barnacleboy IX"?
Arnacul: Well, after Mermaidman has a heart attack, SpongeBob and Patrick worry that the duo is getting too old.
Ermade: And naturally, they start panicking and such until their stress starts eating them alive.
Patchy: Ooh, sounds excitin'. So, of all seven Mermaidman and Barnacleboy episodes[sup]1[/sup], which one is your favorite?
Ermade: I'd have to say "Mermaidman and Barnacleboy VII[sup]1[/sup]", because it had a unique plot to it.
Arnacul: Well, my personal favorite is "Mermaidman and Barnacleboy VI: The Motion Picture", cause that was a fun one to do.
Barnacleboy: (footage from Mermaidman and Barnacleboy VI: The Motion Picture) I knew this was a bad idea.
Patchy: Okay then, your favorite non-MMBB episodes?
Ermade: Hm, geez. I guess I like "Who Framed Stevie" the best.
Stevie: (footage from Who Framed Stevie?) Where have you been all my life, beautiful?
Arnacul: Mm. I kinda like "Put on Trial", cause it showed some respect for the elderly...kinda.
Patchy: Well, thanks for talking. Aren't they old, kids?
Arnacul: Hey!

BTTNI.

Norm Ermade is literally the word "Mermaid". Same as Rob Arnacul with "Barnacleboy".

Next interview: Sir Fing Champ and Hoss Summe ("Scooter")!

[sup]1[/sup]I always consider "Mermaidman vs. SpongeBob" to be MM&BB7, even though it's not named that for some strange reason.

Stinkoman 20X6

Interview with Sir Fing Champ and Hoss Summe ("Scooter")

Sir Fing Champ looked exactly like Scooter except he wore an English uniform and spoke with an exotic accent (similar to the KK customer from Fungus Among Us). Hoss Summe looked similar to Judge Whopper from The Krusty Sponge only he was happy, slim, and his voice sounded exactly like Scooter's.

Patchy: Okay, I'm confused. Two people play Scooter?
Hoss Summe (Voice of "Scooter"): Um, way off, dude!
Sir Fing Champ ("Scooter"): See, I physically play Scooter, but yet Hoss here provides the voice of Scooter. See, how it works is, I perform Scooter physically, but I mouth the speech. And then later, Hoss Summe goes in to record the voice for Scooter. So it's basically lip-sync.
*shows a split-screen of a scene from Sponge Guard on Duty where Sir Fing Champ is performing and Hoss Summe is recording the voice*
Scooter (Hoss Summe): Lifeguard, how's the tubage?
Larry the Lobster: Gnarly, dudes!
Scooter (Hoss Summe): All right, yeah! Woohoo! (the other surfer voices are muted out)
Patchy: So, what's it like doing lip-syncing?
"Stephanie Gillenburg is the creator of SpongeBob SquarePants."
Sir Fing: Well, it's hard for me because Stephanie has to tell me how to mouth it out. She basically acts it out for me about three times in a row until I have it down, and even then it's hard.
Summe: And then as I record, they show me the footage of Sir Fing's performance to give me reference to what's going on and how the line is read.
Patchy: Do either of you ever surfed in the past?
Sir Fing: Well...no.
*they both laugh*
Summe: No.
Sir Fing: I grew up in Victorian Bottom out in the Atlantic, and there's not that many beachs out there in the Atlantic.
Summe: Yeah, and I was always scared of the lagoons when I was in my teen's. It made me nervous just to put my foot in the goo.
Patchy: What are your favorite episodes?
Summe: For me, it would definitely be "Totally Tubular".
Sir Fing: Yeah, "Totally Tubular". Cause that's really the only episode that centered about Scooter.
Scooter: (footage from Totally Tubular) My board, dude! Naw-haw-haw-haw-haw-haw-haw!!!!

BTTNI.

Next scene: Interview With The Crew!

Sir Fing Champ is a play on the words "Surfing Champ" and Hoss Summe is a play on "Awseome", which Scooter says frequently.

Back